Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malkina_
May 13, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

It’s good to see the President’s mind is just as unstable as finance capital itself. :ughh:

Which is about to be replaced by another one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Well...I guess that’s bringing the discussion of economics to where people are.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

discussing the blue shell metaphor is gonna create a QCS thread all on its own

cmerepaul
Nov 28, 2005
That's not chapstick!

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

no

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

are they loving serious

do they not understand how a progressive tax works

or is that the joke

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

tbh I cannot imagine being so dumb that that mario kart analogy elucidates anything

unless they previously thought you should reward the rich and punish the poor it makes no sense, but this is America so I guess maybe nerds thought that until Mario logic straightened them out

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

fr0id has issued a correction as of 09:31 on Oct 6, 2020

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Blue shells don't drop often enough imo

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

are they loving serious

or is that the joke
I doubt that even 30% of Americans understand how progressive tax works, or what it’s for, or anything at all about taxes beyond that the government takes some of your money every year.

So yeah, like I said, taking the message to where they are by any means necessary.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

I doubt that even 30% of Americans understand how progressive tax works, or what it’s for, or anything at all about taxes beyond that the government takes some of your money every year.

So yeah, like I said, taking the message to where they are by any means necessary.

That number is extremely generous for the amount of people who understand anything about taxes.

I had a coworker tell me his wife told him to stop working overtime before they got bumped into a higher tax bracket. She's an accountant.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
They would need to know why Nintendo made Mariokart why they did though. not just to make the race easier for the person who’s losing and harder for the person who’s winning, but what that means for long-term participation in the game series.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I knew seniors of political science in college intending to go to law school who thought that if you moved up a tax bracket the government would start taxing your entire income more

so yeah most people have no idea what a progressive tax even is

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

are they loving serious

or is that the joke

I think they're saying that it should actually work like that rather than theoretically work like that. So things like 'billionaires' not paying $750 / year in tax.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Even more fundamentally, the idea that money is government property and like other government property, it’s meant to adjust (and hopefully improve) society and not just to make people rich for its own sake or whatever.

Samurai Sanders has issued a correction as of 09:56 on Oct 6, 2020

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
https://twitter.com/Bill_Kezos/status/1312196084957995009

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

https://twitter.com/bitch_updates/status/1313364784608403457

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/neoliberal_dad/status/1313326440277045248

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

https://twitter.com/Seth4MC/status/1312162382198657024/photo/1

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Inceltown posted:

I think they're saying that it should actually work like that rather than theoretically work like that. So things like 'billionaires' not paying $750 / year in tax.

Also, the whole "getting bumped into a higher bracket = making less" thing is real if you're poor and are passing the thresholds or phase outs for means testing.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
https://twitter.com/erinscottphoto/status/1313321098990288897

THS
Sep 15, 2017

the tax bracket thing is very funny because i’ve explained how it works to ostensibly smart professionals in their 30s and it blew their minds

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

RIP Jim

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020
https://i.imgur.com/X1zMDCx.mp4

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

THS posted:

the tax bracket thing is very funny because i’ve explained how it works to ostensibly smart professionals in their 30s and it blew their minds

I've tried to explain it to people and they just get angry and refuse to listen.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

NightGyr posted:

Also, the whole "getting bumped into a higher bracket = making less" thing is real if you're poor and are passing the thresholds or phase outs for means testing.

Sorry to break it to you but you're wrong, you would have to be earning more than your benefits would give you to lose access to them. I have this argument all the time and people swear to me that "it happened to me", and so far nobody has been able to give me proof.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

ElCondemn posted:

Sorry to break it to you but you're wrong, you would have to be earning more than your benefits would give you to lose access to them. I have this argument all the time and people swear to me that "it happened to me", and so far nobody has been able to give me proof.

Not for things like medical benefits.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Not for things like medical benefits.

What does that have to do with progressive income tax?

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

ElCondemn posted:

This is super real if you have Marketplace insurance and you estimate your income too low for the year, receive a premium tax credit to help cover your insurnace, and forget to call them and update if/when you realize you're going to make more money than you thought - once you pass 4x the Fed poverty line (~$50k if you're single) all of a sudden you have to pay the credit back... so a person has AGI of $50k and they're told to pay back $15k in PTC

In that case you want to back your rear end onto the low side of that 4x poverty line real quick, contributing enough to retirement often makes the PTC repayment vanish, but if you didn't save enough to max out IRA or whatever you're a bit hosed

e: Older people who are on Marketplace insurance and opt for more expensive plans (bc they're old) get turbofucked by this

black.lion has issued a correction as of 17:19 on Oct 6, 2020

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

ElCondemn posted:

What does that have to do with progressive income tax?

He was saying that there are situations, unlike how our marginal tax brackets work, where making slightly more money can gently caress you because of hard thresholds to receive certain benefits like food stamps or medi-cal.

edit: also sometimes they use last year’s tax returns to determine eligibility which may have nothing to do with your present circumstances

Class Warcraft has issued a correction as of 17:14 on Oct 6, 2020

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Class Warcraft posted:

He was saying that there are situations, unlike how our marginal tax brackets work, where making slightly more money can gently caress you because of hard thresholds to receive certain benefits like food stamps or medi-cal.

edit: also sometimes they use last year’s tax returns to determine eligibility which may have nothing to do with your present circumstances

Please, can you put this in Mario Kart / Pokemon context?

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Gullous posted:

Please, can you put this in Mario Kart / Pokemon context?

pokemon generally get better when they evolve, but sometimes, like in the case of snom evolving into frosmoth, they get objectively worse

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

TeenageArchipelago posted:

pokemon generally get better when they evolve, but sometimes, like in the case of snom evolving into frosmoth, they get objectively worse

This made me dumber that I was before and I didn't think that was possible.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Think about vidgames where the enemies scale with your level but imagine you just grind XP instead of doing the main quest or any sidequest chains so you never get better gear, and your talent build is all hosed up bc you don't know what you're doing and no one ever explained it to you

So you level up and the enemies level up with you and wreck you bc your character is made of garbage but on paper you're good enough to fight lvl 20+ gremlins so gently caress u deal with it

Or start your game over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

black.lion posted:

Think about vidgames where the enemies scale with your level but imagine you just grind XP instead of doing the main quest or any sidequest chains so you never get better gear, and your talent build is all hosed up bc you don't know what you're doing and no one ever explained it to you

So you level up and the enemies level up with you and wreck you bc your character is made of garbage but on paper you're good enough to fight lvl 20+ gremlins so gently caress u deal with it

Or start your game over

So an Elder Scrolls game