Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Orange Devil posted:

Imagine a government shutting down industry because of health concerns.

It's China, so I assume the population of Chengdu was being halved every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Cat Mattress posted:

It's China, so I assume the population of Chengdu was being halved every day.

Hard to overstate what that week was like. You couldn't see buildings on the other side of the street (not unusual for a Chinese winter, to be fair). It was like living inside of a car exhaust. Eyes and respiratory system burning all the time since there weren't any air filters at work and locals insist on always having the windows open anyway. Wasn't so bad at home or when I was wearing my gas mask.

This was the normal level of pollution that the government didn't give a poo poo about, about a third of hell week.

Once it was over the PAP withdrew to their normal duties of surrounding the Tibetan quarter and menacing them instead of threatening everybody equally. And I could get back to my normal game of "what color/smell is the river today?" on the way to work.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 5, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm not tryna be pro-capitalism here, the coast of my home state is literally toxic now thanks to the Koch brothers, but it's been a long rear end time since a liberal capitalist state had environmental legislation lax enough that that would happen to begin with. I'm not gonna hand it to the CCP for its environmental policies.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

You do not, in fact, "gotta hand it to em".

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

During the ISIS years we had soldiers patrolling the major train stations in Belgium. They probably weren't very useful, but the presence of trained soldiers also didn't particularly scare me. That's about as statistically ridiculous as being scared of terror attacks themselves.

They actually did stop one (1) terrorist who was dumb enough to attack them directly.

IIRC he accidentally killed himself before he could do any damage with his attack, so the truth is even dumber.

Also what I've never understood, both in Belgian railway stations and airports as well as the Gare du Nord in Paris, is why these soldiers are carrying machine guns. I mean, aren't they extremely imprecise weapons that are much more likely to wound or kill innocent civilians? Why wouldn't they carry a normal pistol instead, which is made for precision fire?

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm not tryna be pro-capitalism here, the coast of my home state is literally toxic now thanks to the Koch brothers, but it's been a long rear end time since a liberal capitalist state had environmental legislation lax enough that that would happen to begin with. I'm not gonna hand it to the CCP for its environmental policies.

Liberal, capitalist citizens had to fight their own states every. loving. step. of. the. way and still do even though, like, random parts of the world are catching on giant fires at this point and every loving day brings a new "for the first time in recorded history, the environment is THAT hosed".

But, also, they don't get shot or deported over it, so there's that. Wheee.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Also what I've never understood, both in Belgian railway stations and airports as well as the Gare du Nord in Paris, is why these soldiers are carrying machine guns. I mean, aren't they extremely imprecise weapons that are much more likely to wound or kill innocent civilians? Why wouldn't they carry a normal pistol instead, which is made for precision fire?

If you're imagining a full-auto spray of bullets, then that'd be correct. But all these rifles also have a semi-auto mode which fires only one bullet per trigger pull, and in that mode (all else being equal) a rifle will be far more precise than a pistol.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Nah if you're trying to shoot something a rifle is a hell of a lot easier to do it with than a pistol. I say this mostly based on a tiny amount of shooting experience at the gun range, but despite being a larger round the AR-15 variant I shot was child's play compared to pistols. Not sure if it's the longer barrel, more weight, having it nestled in your shoulder, or something else.

Also pistols aren't made for precision fire at all, they're just designed to be a firearm that can be easily carried.

e: and if the purpose is security theatre, carrying the largest, most conspicuous gun possible might be an advantage in and of itself.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Oct 5, 2020

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Pope Hilarius II posted:

IIRC he accidentally killed himself before he could do any damage with his attack, so the truth is even dumber.

I don't exactly know what you mean by "machine gun" but its probably a submachine gun:

or an assault rifle:

The thing to note is that almost all variants of these guns include a stock-- the part you put against your shoulder. Being able to steady a gun against your shoulder while you have two hands on it is key for any real accuracy. Have you ever shot a pistol? It is loving hard to hit targets even at very close range. Assault rifles and SMGs also often have a single-shot or burst-fire mode along with full auto.

All that is theoretical. I wouldn't want to be anywhere near any of these guns going off, god knows what the level of training is like for these guys.

edit for map thread:

Count Roland fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 5, 2020

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Aren't rifles quite precise if you're not going nuts firing full auto from the hip or something (presumably those soldiers have extremely strict rules of engagement)?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Kassad posted:

Aren't rifles quite precise if you're not going nuts firing full auto from the hip or something (presumably those soldiers have extremely strict rules of engagement)?

Generally you're never going to be firing full auto or from the hip ever with a rifle, even if you're like, storming Stalingrad.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Kassad posted:

Yup. And vastly more accurate than a pistol. Longer barrel means you can shoot a more stable bullet faster and straighter. This is in addition to it being easier to aim and put optics and such on.

Hence why armies don't deploy their line infantry with pistols.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Beyond shouldered guns being far more tailored for precision fire than handguns, I'm fairly sure cops (as in non-military) don't get issued giggle switches for fully automatic fire, there's not much justification for it. In western Canada, the C8 rifles that are in cops' cruisers' trunks are semi-automatic only, which they like to call "patrol carbines." These are in no way different from the semi-automatic "assault weapons" that civilians use for sport, they just get called different names for political reasons.

Count Roland posted:

edit for map thread:

If it wasn't obvious for anyone, the colour denotes common platform. Dark blue is all AR-15s, just with different manufacturers and military designations.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Count Roland posted:

All that is theoretical. I wouldn't want to be anywhere near any of these guns going off, god knows what the level of training is like for these guys.

The level of training is "hey please don't make us do this we really aren't trained for this we're trained for combat situations in which most people we see are enemies and we can write off at least some civilian casualties as collateral damage, we're not a police force and we don't have either the equipment nor the training to properly respond in case any poo poo were to go down... you're going to make us do this anyway aren't you?"

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The FAMAS Chad vs. AK Africa

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Orange Devil posted:

The level of training is "hey please don't make us do this we really aren't trained for this we're trained for combat situations in which most people we see are enemies and we can write off at least some civilian casualties as collateral damage, we're not a police force and we don't have either the equipment nor the training to properly respond in case any poo poo were to go down... you're going to make us do this anyway aren't you?"

Depends on the country I'd imagine. We sure as hell got trained on how to respond to a terrorist currently shooting people in front of you, and that's an entirely separate course and certification from other field training as there's not a whole lot that carries over from other combat situations.

ROE for those interested basically boils down to "is he holding a gun and is he currently trying to shoot people with it? Then you are allowed to shoot back." Otherwise, your options are limited to stern looks and strong words to the effect that he best put the gun down before anything bad happens.

And if any shooting does start, you best be quick and accurate about it. If you hit anyone innocent you'll go to prison for manslaughter. If you don't stop him quickly enough you'll go to prison for "negligence and/or incompetence resulting in death". You'll be held responsible for everything you do and everything that happens. You are going to see the inside of a courtroom under all circumstances as that's were your conduct is going to be evaluated. Don't gently caress up.
These peoples lifes depend on you.

And if you pass evaluation you can now be sent to guard things around regular people as long as your time-limited certification is valid, and then you'll need to pass the course and re-certification again.

It's not very fun, the stakes are high, and guard duty is the most pointless mind crushing boring loving thing you'll ever do

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 5, 2020

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Pope Hilarius II posted:

when everything you learned about guns comes from multiplayer video game balancing

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

Yup. And vastly more accurate than a pistol. Longer barrel means you can shoot a more stable bullet faster and straighter. This is in addition to it being easier to aim and put optics and such on.

Hence why armies don't deploy their line infantry with pistols.

Isn’t the big difference the rifling in barrels helping to spin stabilise the projectile?

Do handguns have any rifling? It’d be far less of course.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Uh... Handguns are obviously rifled. Doesn't have anything to do with the fact an irresponsible owner can case a ton of damage firing the weapon blindly.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Alaois posted:

when everything you learned about guns comes from multiplayer video game balancing

This is me lol. I’m not worried about snipers because they’re all noobs that will go for the no scope

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

My experience with pistols was that the most sure-fire way of dropping all the targets* was to wait for the wind to blow them over.

*) Like, metal discs on stands, not people.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Isn’t the big difference the rifling in barrels helping to spin stabilise the projectile?

Do handguns have any rifling? It’d be far less of course.

pretty much all small arms are rifled. the big difference between a pistol and a rifle in terms of accuracy is that the shorter barrel = less accuracy, and also a weapon with a stock you can brace against your shoulder is easier to aim. even things like having a trigger that's hard or heavy to pull can make a pistol less accurate, because as you squeeze the trigger the gun rotates a bit in your hands if you're not holding it right

really the biggest advantage of pistols is that they are relatively small and pocket sized, so it's a better gun to carry around if you need to be carrying a gun around all day for whatever reason but aren't really expecting to use it that often. sort of like the multitool of firearms as opposed to lugging around a full sized tool box

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Count Roland posted:

edit for map thread:

I thought Brazil used the FAL as its rifle of choice. Also from cursory googling Imbel MD 2 seems to be a pistol?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

HardDiskD posted:

I thought Brazil used the FAL as its rifle of choice. Also from cursory googling Imbel MD 2 seems to be a pistol?

It is a FAL clone.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMBEL_MD

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

It's an IMBEL recreation of the FN CAL (5.56mm FAL) more like. Very nice shooting rifle.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Oh I also saw police with what looked like fully automatic weapons in London in 2019 at around the time that Boris came into power.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

CommonShore posted:

Oh I also saw police with what looked like fully automatic weapons in London in 2019 at around the time that Boris came into power.

I apologize to the folks who don't give a poo poo about the minutiae of guns (who are probably getting mightily sick of this derail), but what was it that makes you think they were full-auto? I doubt they allowed you to lean in close and examine the mode selector switch.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

The Chad FAMAS

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Was it this thread that was talking about some scottish island that had villages on opposite ends and it was very difficult/impossible to pass overland so they had to sail and in ye oldene dayes, this made for such a dangerous trip that they basically developed in isolation from one another? I think the subject was weird dialects

e: It was lewis and harris

Alaois posted:

The Chad FAMAS

Vs the Brazilian IMBEL

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Oct 6, 2020

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Alaois posted:

To be honest, the encyclopedic knowledge so many Americans seem to have of firearms is really weird. So good on you, Pope Hilarius. In a perfect world no one would see them outside of video games.

Maybe not so much this example, which seems pretty general, but I'm always lolling when people in this forum are discussing a mass shooting or something, and several goons are going "yeah what a fool, judging from the shell casings that are partly visible in this frame he was using 10AR-SKV45 ammo, when clearly he should have used '58 10AR-SKV46 rounds to shred those orphans"

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

luxury handset posted:

pretty much all small arms are rifled. the big difference between a pistol and a rifle in terms of accuracy is that the shorter barrel = less accuracy, and also a weapon with a stock you can brace against your shoulder is easier to aim. even things like having a trigger that's hard or heavy to pull can make a pistol less accurate, because as you squeeze the trigger the gun rotates a bit in your hands if you're not holding it right

really the biggest advantage of pistols is that they are relatively small and pocket sized, so it's a better gun to carry around if you need to be carrying a gun around all day for whatever reason but aren't really expecting to use it that often. sort of like the multitool of firearms as opposed to lugging around a full sized tool box

Thanks, good to know that calling long arms rifles was to distinguish them from smooth bore weapons, not handguns etc.

These distinctions might be obvious to arms bearers but it is a mystery to me.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Shut up about guns you psychos

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

When the apocalypse comes, all the Americans will be expertly shooting each other with makeshift flak cannons (shut up if this type of weapon makes no sense I don't care) made out of branches and rocks

Over in Europe we will go 'what is gun' ten seconds before being overrun by mutant creatures, as living in our Safe European Home has caused us to no longer understand the concepts of violence or self-defense

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Alaois posted:

The Chad FAMAS
The Brazilian INCEL, MD

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Phlegmish posted:

When the apocalypse comes, all the Americans will be expertly shooting each other with makeshift flak cannons (shut up if this type of weapon makes no sense I don't care) made out of branches and rocks

Over in Europe we will go 'what is gun' ten seconds before being overrun by mutant creatures, as living in our Safe European Home has caused us to no longer understand the concepts of violence or self-defense

We've watched a lot of MacGyver over here too tbf

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I dunno how much the US military "combat commands" actually matter but this is a map of them featuring SPACE

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I dunno how much the US military "combat commands" actually matter but this is a map of them featuring SPACE

This is flat Earth bait.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

To be honest, the encyclopedic knowledge so many Americans seem to have of firearms is really weird. So good on you, Pope Hilarius. In a perfect world no one would see them outside of video games.

Maybe not so much this example, which seems pretty general, but I'm always lolling when people in this forum are discussing a mass shooting or something, and several goons are going "yeah what a fool, judging from the shell casings that are partly visible in this frame he was using 10AR-SKV45 ammo, when clearly he should have used '58 10AR-SKV46 rounds to shred those orphans"

Yeah, this.

Though there is some irony in the fact that as a general rule, the average Belgian person knows very little about guns, while Belgian weapons are a major export product all over the world.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Yeah, this.

Though there is some irony in the fact that as a general rule, the average Belgian person knows very little about guns, while Belgian weapons are a major export product all over the world.
Like Americans with freedom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I like the little square chunk of Northern Command around Puerto Rico. It makes sense but it's still funny.

Special mention to the boundaries of the Indo-Pacific Command hugging the Antarctic coastlines. Especially on the left-side, where it separates the Indo-Pacific Command (Antarctic) from the Indo-Pacific Command (Pacific).

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Oct 6, 2020