Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

How standard is DDC? I read somewhere that it is becoming less standard, and that there are issues with DisplayPort sometimes? I don't really understand how it all works, but I use multiple monitors with multiple devices and use simple macros to switch input - a single keyboard macro key sure beats blindly bumbling with the monitor buttons through ~5 button presses. Is compatibility with DDC something I need to be worried about as I'm shopping for another monitor in the near future?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness

FCKGW posted:

If you were to get a 27” monitor, would you rather it be 1440p or 144hz if you couldn’t do both? Some games but not a lot of FPS, things like Rocket League or skateboarding games mostly.

Probably depends on your game preference and exacting use cases, but for any sort of action oriented title, higher refresh rates look smoother in motion and tend to feel more responsive than lower refresh rate monitors. If your primary use case is instead strategy games or office use, more screen real estate and higher resolutions would be best.

Personally I went all in on a 240hz 1080p IPS since motion resolution is really important to me

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

FCKGW posted:

If you were to get a 27” monitor, would you rather it be 1440p or 144hz if you couldn’t do both? Some games but not a lot of FPS, things like Rocket League or skateboarding games mostly.

I don't have personal experience with this, but I think I'd opt for lower screen refresh rates before dropping resolution at 27". I would guess 120hz would be fine, 75hz okay, and 60hz tolerable with freesync.

I spent like 10 years on a 24" 1080p screen at 60hz, and I can say I vastly prefer my 27" 1440p 144hz monitor. Barring edge cases (like the monitor having to be at a significant distance or something) I think 24" at 1080p is the right scaling, 27" at 1440p, and so on. A 27" at 1080p would seriously look bad to me at a normal viewing distance.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Any PPI under 100 is going to be horrific

27" 1080p is 81 :barf:

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

FCKGW posted:

27" FHD is fine for a lot of people, and a higher refresh rate is going to make your experience much better than a higher resolution, but I personally prefer QHD at 27" for a higher pixel density.

So if you couldn't have both, 144hz.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I don't play it, but Rocket League seems to be a game where a lot of people think FPS > resolution.

That said, IMO 1080p is such a low resolution these days as to be essentially unusable on the desktop. So it's a matter of priorities.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m currently on an ASUS VG279 (27” 144hz 1080p) and I’m going to be upgrading for my 3080 when it exists someday.

I know this probably gets posted a ton but is there a go-to IPS 1440p 144hz 32”? I’m not interested in curved screens. Bonus points go to anything with USB ports and as little bright flashy gamer plastic as possible.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Knot My President! posted:

For someone that is in no rush to upgrade a monitor, are there any gaming monitors on the horizon worth looking out for or is tech pretty good these days?

Currently I have a five year old Acer Predator (27" 1440p IPS @ 165hz with g-sync)

If I were to upgrade in the future, I'd want:

- At least 1440p (> 109ppi)
- 144hz (165 preferable, but I heard 244hz is around the corner?)
- IPS
- Adaptive sync
- Ultrawide (34" fine), unless I can be convinced that a newer tech 27" with the above specs is worth considering
- Under $1200

Does anything currently fit the bill, and even so, is there anything known that will fit the bill better coming out in the future?

Sad that compared to my 5 year old Predator the only change at it's price point ($600) is better colours, brightness going up about 100 cd/m and 4k and/or weak HDR. You have to spend over $1000 to get anything impressive and those also tend to be ultrawide.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I used an 4K 27" display today with 150% scaling. Oh the crisp fonts. Now I want one (actually two), too. Dear God in heaven, LG, make a HDMI 2.1 variant of your LG 950 whatsit.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Rolo posted:

I’m currently on an ASUS VG279 (27” 144hz 1080p) and I’m going to be upgrading for my 3080 when it exists someday.

I know this probably gets posted a ton but is there a go-to IPS 1440p 144hz 32”? I’m not interested in curved screens. Bonus points go to anything with USB ports and as little bright flashy gamer plastic as possible.

32" 1440p pretty much always means VA and thus curved. 27" is the standard for 1440p and is going to wind up being the standard for 4k, even if 32" arguably makes more sense. The 27" 1440p 144hz IPS go-to is the LG 27GL83A. In some places you can get a 27GL850 or 27GN850 for not insane prices, which are basically the same monitor with a USB hub.

Carecat posted:

Sad that compared to my 5 year old Predator the only change at it's price point ($600) is better colours, brightness going up about 100 cd/m and 4k and/or weak HDR. You have to spend over $1000 to get anything impressive and those also tend to be ultrawide.

The newer monitors have massively improved response times over those earlier monitors and can actually change pixels fast enough to properly support 144hz. It's not enough to warrant the cost of an upgrade unless you're extremely competitive, but it is there.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Oct 4, 2020

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

K8.0 posted:

32" 1440p pretty much always means VA and thus curved. 27" is the standard for 1440p and is going to wind up being the standard for 4k, even if 32" arguably makes more sense. The 27" 1440p 144hz IPS go-to is the LG 27GL83A. In some places you can get a 27GL850 or 27GN850 for not insane prices, which are basically the same monitor with a USB hub.

Oh good to know. 27” actually fits my desk setup well, I just had that “while I’m upgrading this I may as well” attitude. I don’t mind staying at 27 if I can have a nice flat panel with solid res and refresh.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

What’s the current equivalent of the Asus VG236H? The OP seems out of date a little.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Alright I got this:

Pixio PX248 Prime 24 inch 144Hz IPS 1ms FHD 1080p AMD Radeon FreeSync Esports IPS Gaming Monitor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GYFQD6L/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_orREFbN3VFDA3

Have I made a terrible mistake?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I just got two of them and after using them for about a week now, they are fantastic. You won't be disappointed.

Also changing the settings on the monitor involves a little clicky thumbstick on the back that is wildly, strangely satisfying to use.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Namnesor posted:

I just got two of them and after using them for about a week now, they are fantastic. You won't be disappointed.

Also changing the settings on the monitor involves a little clicky thumbstick on the back that is wildly, strangely satisfying to use.

Rad they seem perfect, not too expensive, and won’t bottleneck my planned PC build.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Oh yeah, a couple of adjustments on the monitor settings to consider:

- Bump the Sharpness up to 75, that'll get rid of the halo effect around text and stuff
- Bump the Gamma down to 2.0 and the Saturation down to 50, the out-of-the-box settings make the colors overly rich

Everything else I think is down to personal preference.

stinktier
Aug 8, 2007

Dei gratia regina fidei defensor
I'm looking for an ultrawide and/or ultrawide curved monitor for my work station and I'm running into problems with how awful my Macbook is rendering fonts.

MacbookPro, running Catalina
13", 2019, 2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
16GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
Graphics, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655 1536MB

My prior monitors were two 27" 4K, running two DisplayPorts through a Targus DisplayLink 4K. Absolutely beautiful font rendering, everything was crisp and nearly retina. I've been interested in curved monitors and ordered a 34" LG - LG 34WN80C-B 34 inch 21:9 Curved UltraWide WQHD IPS Monitor. I recognize it's not 4K, but the font rendering from my Macbook is absolute rear end. I went through several troubleshooting steps online - running the font smoothing integers through terminal, etc. Tried both DisplayPort and USB-C. Still rear end. Lots of other Mac users complaining about this issue.

I'm fine paying more for an ultrawide screen/curved around 32", but how can I guarantee before I purchase it that it will display as nicely as my old 27" 4K? Just needs to say 4K in the description?

Thanks for any help :)

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

3840x2160 27" is more than twice the pixel density of 2560x1440 27" / 3440x1440 34". That may be all you're looking at.

LG makes a 4k ultrawide (5120x2160) 34" monitor, but it costs $1500. Ultrawide is just a really terrible value proposition.

stinktier
Aug 8, 2007

Dei gratia regina fidei defensor
Yeah, I am realizing I can just do a large, non-ultra-wide with a higher res.

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
So what's the deal with going CRT these days? How hard is it to find a decent sized CRT? How do you get HDMI output into one?

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness

TimWinter posted:

So what's the deal with going CRT these days? How hard is it to find a decent sized CRT? How do you get HDMI output into one?

There's converters that can take an HDMI or displayport signal and convert it to VGA, though this may not always utilize the full potential of any given monitor (converters can be hit or miss, even if your graphics card and the CRT support something like 1280x1024 @ 120hz, your converter may not)

Some people use older graphics cards that still support analog over DVI, others use tricks to route hardware acceleration from a modern GPU to an output of an older GPU or even the integrated graphics from their processor, since even some recent motherboards have VGA out as an option to support projectors

You can probably get a 15-19" CRT by trolling through your local facebook marketplace or craigslist if you don't care too much for what condition it's in, be advised that worn CRTs tend to have very poor contrast and color clarity, blacks can appear grey and whites end up not being very bright. The fewer hours the tube has, the better it's going to look generally, but over time things can fall out of alignment and you may have to make adjustments to internal components in order to fix the image. Getting a good looking CRT is probably down to enthusiast levels of learning how to maintain one yourself and using equipment former CRT technicians used to use in order to diagnose, repair, and maintain them.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Combat Pretzel posted:

I used an 4K 27" display today with 150% scaling. Oh the crisp fonts. Now I want one (actually two), too. Dear God in heaven, LG, make a HDMI 2.1 variant of your LG 950 whatsit.
*runs an app that doesn't support scaling* Frick!!

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Does it still make sense to buy a 30" 2560 x 1600 monitor in 2020 for PC mainly used for programming? The used prices on them are super attractive. Or if pricing wasn't an issue, do the 32" 3840x2160 just make much more sense?

Chuu fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Oct 6, 2020

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Khorne posted:

*runs an app that doesn't support scaling* Frick!!

It sucks. The most egregious one I've ever seen was the login splash for phantasy star online 2. You literally can't see the entry boxes because the window has swallowed them up thanks to the lovely scaling. I uninstalled the game with 0 seconds played. Sega you lazy fucks.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Chuu posted:

Does it still make sense to buy a 30" 2560 x 1600 monitor in 2020 for PC mainly used for programming? The used prices on them are super attractive. Or if pricing wasn't an issue, do the 32" 3840x2160 just make much more sense?

Depends on a variety of factors. If you have a narrow desk (you sit close and have good eyesight) I'd say it's worthwhile considering a cheap 4k 32" monitor if it fits in your budget since it will fit more text/windows/etc at 100% scaling. You also get a warranty when buying new if that means anything.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Are we expecting anything next year to really replace the nano-ips 1440p hfr displays or has that resolution/tech pretty much peaked?
Thinking of grabbing something if there is a black friday deal but I'd hate something with like, way better contrast or HDR to come along in a few months.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Pegnose Pete posted:

Are we expecting anything next year to really replace the nano-ips 1440p hfr displays or has that resolution/tech pretty much peaked?
Thinking of grabbing something if there is a black friday deal but I'd hate something with like, way better contrast or HDR to come along in a few months.

Well, nobody seems to be in any rush to bring OLED to the desktop, so no, it doesn't look like anything major is changing in the near future. Even if it does change, early adopting desktop OLED is probably gonna cost you like $1k for a 27" monitor so spending like $350 on an IPS now doesn't seem like taking much of a risk to me.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

TheFluff posted:

Well, nobody seems to be in any rush to bring OLED to the desktop, so no, it doesn't look like anything major is changing in the near future. Even if it does change, early adopting desktop OLED is probably gonna cost you like $1k for a 27" monitor so spending like $350 on an IPS now doesn't seem like taking much of a risk to me.

I doubt OLED in it's current form will ever be in a PC monitor that's marketed as a solely PC monitor. AFAIK the only one now is the Alienware AW5520QF (LG 55" panel) and they seem to be so unsure of it's longevity, they disable HDR by default (apparently you can still enable it from the OSD). It's probably fine as long as a couple of enthusiasts buy OLEDs as daily drivers but no one is willing to take on a thousands of morons cranking their screens to full bright and wondering why their game HUDs, system clocks and Chrome tabs start remaining on their screens after a year of usage.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

I have a new LG Oled TV and wouldn't want an Oled monitor.

While my TV doesn't have burn in, there is temporary image retention after a static, bright graphic/logo has been on screen for a while. I don't notice it from a distance, but it's apparent closer up. The TV does a good job of flushing it away eventually.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I really want to get one of the LG 38" monitors, but at $2499 it feels a bit awkward when a 55" CX is $2999. 55" is too big though, and we are still waiting on the 48" in Australia. For similar money there is the Samsung G9, which seems to finally hit good transitions with VA blacks, but the flickering/VRR issues are too rich for my blood

Does anyone know if there are new 38" panels in the pipeline? Feels an awkward time to be buying a top end monitor

Do the CX OLED support LFC or do they truly stop at 40Hz?

BurritoJustice fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Oct 6, 2020

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

BurritoJustice posted:

Does anyone know if there are new 38" panels in the pipeline? Feels an awkward time to be buying a top end monitor

Acer released the Predator X38 during the summer which is also insanely expensive and Alienware has announced the AW3821DW which is probably going to be expensive as well. Sucks to want a 38", I tell you what.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

BurritoJustice posted:

Do the CX OLED support LFC or do they truly stop at 40Hz?

The latest firmware added LFC

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

K8.0 posted:

The newer monitors have massively improved response times over those earlier monitors and can actually change pixels fast enough to properly support 144hz. It's not enough to warrant the cost of an upgrade unless you're extremely competitive, but it is there.

Ended up ordering a 27GL83A. It’ll be here tomorrow and I got it for only 375.

My 27” 144hz1080p with no HDR from Best Buy was more expensive and I just got it like 6 months ago.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Jeff Fatwood posted:

Acer released the Predator X38 during the summer which is also insanely expensive and Alienware has announced the AW3821DW which is probably going to be expensive as well. Sucks to want a 38", I tell you what.

If I was getting one now I'd probably get the X38 because it's the same price and I'd use the better USB hub. Doesn't seem like there will be many upgrades to the panel coming though

The AW3821DW seems cool though, it has the HDR600 panel from the 38GN that the X38 lacks, but with a GSync module and TFT is predicting it has ULMB due to the formal "GSync Ultimate" spec

Given I use a standing desk I'd likely need to get a hilariously beefy monitor arm if I went for an OLED

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

https://www.engadget.com/dell-mini-led-monitor-140028013.html

Does mini-LED offer the same benefits of OLED in terms of contrast while not having the same issues with burn-in?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Am I good with just basically any IPS 27" 1440p/60Hz monitor? Buying a couple soon and I'm not sure if there are any that should be totally avoided.

Looking at this one in particular... https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/acer-27-1440p-wqhd-75hz-5ms-gtg-ips-led-monitor-cb272u-smiiprx-black/14763272

Oh and use-case is creative work so colour reproduction is very important.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Oct 6, 2020

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Just realized my new monitor doesn’t have built in speakers. Off to that thread I guess!

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness

space marine todd posted:

https://www.engadget.com/dell-mini-led-monitor-140028013.html

Does mini-LED offer the same benefits of OLED in terms of contrast while not having the same issues with burn-in?

Mini-LED has mostly been used for monitors that have full array local dimming, which can provide greater contrast, at the expense of blooming when bright areas neighbor darker areas. It is not a self emissive display like OLED and will not look as good as OLED. The amount of visible bloom would depend on how many dimming zones they have. To keep things in perspective, a 4k display has 8,294,400 pixels. The monitor discussed in the article has 2,000 dimming zones. Another upside of OLED, although maybe specific to gamers, would be the insanely fast response times of OLED. A FALD supporting monitor would still have standard LCD panel response times.

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
So the OP is whoefully out of date, any opinion on the Samsung C32HG70 (32" curved, 1440p, 144hz, 1ms, HDR600, QLED)?

I currently have a Lenovo D27-20 (1080p, 75hz) which is my first monitor over 24". I've got two 24" as secondaries, looking to run the C32HG70 as a primary (gaming) with 2 D27-20 as secondaries (discord, chrome, media, etc).

Opinions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

The Big Bad Worf posted:

Mini-LED has mostly been used for monitors that have full array local dimming, which can provide greater contrast, at the expense of blooming when bright areas neighbor darker areas. It is not a self emissive display like OLED and will not look as good as OLED. The amount of visible bloom would depend on how many dimming zones they have. To keep things in perspective, a 4k display has 8,294,400 pixels. The monitor discussed in the article has 2,000 dimming zones. Another upside of OLED, although maybe specific to gamers, would be the insanely fast response times of OLED. A FALD supporting monitor would still have standard LCD panel response times.

drat, thanks for the information. I didn't realize Mini-LEDs are the same thing as FALD. The response time is a nice thing about OLED, but I just want those perfect colors+black levels.