Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

eating only apples posted:

I appreciate the advice but it's really funny that you're suggesting after 250 hours in this game I don't know the esoteric tactics of "view the enemies' range" and "draw aggro one by one". :v:

Then how are you getting so frustrated, you're dropping the playthrough on the first map. :psyduck:
Just loving do it. There aren't enough variables in play in the first four months to be able to do much else.

The most annoying addition to Maddening (outside same-turn reinforcements) is the sheer number of enemies that have Pass including the wolf monsters. Really fucks with phalanx strategies.

Edit: Also, yeah. Seconding dancer Ferdie. I finally got around to using him on my current playthrough, and he's the bee's knees.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Oct 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

AlternateNu posted:

Then how are you getting so frustrated, you're dropping the playthrough on the first map. :psyduck:
Just loving do it. There aren't enough variables in play in the first four months to be able to do much else.

Some people just don't enjoy maddening difficulty and that's fine.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Do people who play Maddening use Renown to boost their skill levels or is that considered cheating.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Do people who play Maddening use Renown to boost their skill levels or is that considered cheating.

I absolutely did

edit: also the mock battle is genuinely very hard on maddening, because it's before you can unlock any of the tools that mitigate difficulty. It's like a brick wall of tedium, because patiently baiting out enemies one by one to chip them down is just really boring, and not fun difficulty, so I don't blame anyone for calling it there. The DLC was a fun level of difficulty because there were elements that encouraged speed and risky extensions, and the maps were purpose-built rather than having to function for five different paralogues and three story chapters.

Metis of the Chat Thread fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Oct 6, 2020

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

The fact that you get an extra little cosmetic thing on the title for doing it without NG+ means it’s definitely something they wanted you do unless you were really sure how good at Fire Emblem/tedium tolerance you are, imo.

Adjunct Professor Metis posted:

edit: also the mock battle is genuinely very hard on maddening, because it's before you can unlock any of the tools that mitigate difficulty. It's like a brick wall of tedium, because patiently baiting out enemies one by one to chip them down is just really boring, and not fun difficulty, so I don't blame anyone for calling it there. The DLC was a fun level of difficulty because there were elements that encouraged speed and risky extensions, and the maps were purpose-built rather than having to function for five different paralogues and three story chapters.

Honestly I have no idea why they decided the mock battle wasn’t hard enough on Maddening without taking a deployment spot away compared to Hard.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Cattail Prophet posted:

The trick here is to turn dancer itself into a dumb build.

What I'm saying is: use dancer Ingrid and have her learn All The Things.
i read your mind pre-emptively and settled on ingrid as my dancer soon after making the post. helps that i didn't really have anything interesting in minds for her at all, just the standard pegasus. just had to think of someone else to turn into a flier so i meet my quota and that was shamir, so in fact i got two weird builds for the price of one!

i don't like making male units dancers because even though it's great that IS finally let us do it, they didn't give male dancers the groovy animation set :(

what is even the point if your dodge tank dancer doesn't gracefully spin away from enemy attacks

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Last Celebration posted:

Honestly I have no idea why they decided the mock battle wasn’t hard enough on Maddening without taking a deployment spot away compared to Hard.

They didn’t do this

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Zoran posted:

They didn’t do this

Oh my mistake, I honestly haven’t played Hard since the game came out and remembered people complaining about it, sorry for spreading misinformation

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

People, including myself, have done both NG+ and regular NG runs of Maddening.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i got through the mock battle ok on maddening it was the next battle where i hit the brick wall of crossing the first bridge

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

AlternateNu posted:

Not so much frustrated as bored. It's like overwatch creeping in Xcom EW. Not for me.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

wow playing on hard with the maximum exp bonus from the statues is quite something. i'm outleveling the part 1 enemies rapidly and quite easily despite keeping up a 20-strong team (and soon to be bigger when the rest of the faculty joins)

hopefully i can manage to hit a nice balancing point between part 2 being tougher in general and the increased amount of units i'll have so that i don't entirely roll over the rest of the game and make all my prepwork and unit building entirely pointless

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
So Conand Tower maddening is legit one of the hardest maps in the game.

Early tip is that if you can recruit Catherine then go out of your way to. I understand that that's likely unhelpful advice if you're already there but if someone stumbles on this comment then they might be able to.

Gilbert living has no impact on the map so letting him die early is optimal.

So initially, fight through the enemies to your front and pile into the bottom right corner. Gilbert will get himself killed on the next pack and aggro them meaning you'll need to defend yourself from a series of same turn reinforcements from the entrance and the pack Gilbert aggroed.

That isn't too bad as long as you save a good portion oh the melee for the reinforcement wave, or alternatively drive into the forward pack, kill them and turn back on the reinforcements.

The hardest pack in the game to fight is the combination of same turn reinforcements from the top right and the enemies ahead of them.

This is where we cheese the map. On maddening, the archers at the center of the map have 3 range. So you can aggro them from below and kill them with curved shot.

Doing so aggros every single pack on the map, which would ordinarily be bad, except these packs are spread out, have wildly different move speeds within the pack and can only travel one way. Finally they're charging into a 3 square wide choke point that you control.

So just hang back, let them all come to you and kill them with gambits or by peppering them with arrows on chokes.

Once that's done, you can move up and deal with the ambush wave all alone. I did this by walking past the ambush point and forming all my units into a pair of lines from the top to bottom wall. That way, no unit can be attacked more than once, and you've just enough room to keep your healers out the way completely.

That should make the map a lot easier to handle.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Natural 20 posted:

On maddening, the archers at the center of the map have 3 range.
archers always have 3 range :ssh:

good advice, though i don't think you really need to do the super boring strat of luring everyone out and waiting. you can at least proceed past the second reinforcement trigger before doing that, there's a fine area to choke over there too.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Natural 20 posted:

Early tip is that if you can recruit Catherine then go out of your way to. I understand that that's likely unhelpful advice if you're already there but if someone stumbles on this comment then they might be able to.

So initially, fight through the enemies to your front and pile into the bottom right corner. Gilbert will get himself killed on the next pack and aggro them meaning you'll need to defend yourself from a series of same turn reinforcements from the entrance and the pack Gilbert aggroed.

That isn't too bad as long as you save a good portion oh the melee for the reinforcement wave, or alternatively drive into the forward pack, kill them and turn back on the reinforcements.

The hardest pack in the game to fight is the combination of same turn reinforcements from the top right and the enemies ahead of them.

This is where we cheese the map. On maddening, the archers at the center of the map have 3 range. So you can aggro them from below and kill them with curved shot.

Doing so aggros every single pack on the map, which would ordinarily be bad, except these packs are spread out, have wildly different move speeds within the pack and can only travel one way. Finally they're charging into a 3 square wide choke point that you control.

So just hang back, let them all come to you and kill them with gambits or by peppering them with arrows on chokes.

Once that's done, you can move up and deal with the ambush wave all alone. I did this by walking past the ambush point and forming all my units into a pair of lines from the top to bottom wall. That way, no unit can be attacked more than once, and you've just enough room to keep your healers out the way completely.

I still don't understand how I got through that map my first go around on maddening. I ended up triggering the mob and we all met at the top of the map just as the reinforcements there started spawning. I just happen to have the right gambits equipped to hold them off while slowly retreating down the right side. I also managed to keep Gilbert alive, but I think that was more due to a lucky dodge and crit.

But, yeah. Catherine is a beast, especially in part 1. And even if you don't want to use her, Thunderbrand is insane as the only brave weapon you'll have access to at that point. Also, if you're going Golden Deer, you can rush Lysithea's Faith to B for Warp, and teleport Byleth over the wall from the right side to take out the boss to immediately trigger the second phase. :v:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

Also, if you're going Golden Deer, you can rush Lysithea's Faith to B for Warp, and teleport Byleth over the wall from the right side to take out the boss to immediately trigger the second phase. :v:
and then die on the next turn to the 20 enemies that are still around there, because you're absolutely not one-turning the monster? i don't quite see the value in this strategy

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Natural 20 posted:

Thanks, I'll try that. Unfortunately I don't have Catherine, but maybe the other tips will help.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Amppelix posted:

and then die on the next turn to the 20 enemies that are still around there, because you're absolutely not one-turning the monster? i don't quite see the value in this strategy

Oh come on. There's only seven within immediate threat range, and you should still have all your gambits. :v:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/Amppelix/status/1313788009389547521

this is probably my second favourite generic monastery voice clip
the best one is the lady who says "No." very sternly

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Amppelix posted:

https://twitter.com/Amppelix/status/1313788009389547521

this is probably my second favourite generic monastery voice clip
the best one is the lady who says "No." very sternly

I like the guy who goes "uuunngggh" in the most disgusted, irritated way

My favourite NPC is definitely Ghost Nun, who spawns out of a wall every time you head towards the cardinals room

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

eating only apples posted:

My favourite NPC is definitely Ghost Nun, who spawns out of a wall every time you head towards the cardinals room

I'm glad I'm not the only one to notice her. Also the fact that she always greets me with the perkiest, not-how-a-nun-should-sound "Hey!" I've ever heard.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Imperial Noble who hangs around the Goddess Tower.
Cardinals Room Ghost Nun.
Student who suspiciously won't stop hanging around the sauna.
Feuding Mercs who everyone eggs on but never actually get into a fistfight near the Abyss bridge.
Squatting by the Ashen Wolves classroom.
Calvary Unit hiding behind the Gatekeeper.

I want to see these guys side story.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

galagazombie posted:

Imperial Noble who hangs around the Goddess Tower.
Cardinals Room Ghost Nun.
Student who suspiciously won't stop hanging around the sauna.
Feuding Mercs who everyone eggs on but never actually get into a fistfight near the Abyss bridge.
Squatting by the Ashen Wolves classroom.
Calvary Unit hiding behind the Gatekeeper.

I want to see these guys side story.

Someone needs to call a doctor for that one guy in the Abyss who's constantly puking. Like, always.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I know the thread probably discussed this back when the game was fresh, but I'm still in awe that Claude actually flips out about somebody ostensibly on the "good guys" side knowing a lot more about the situation, but still holding back. Yes, the time for secrets is over. Like, thank you Claude, for saying something that I wanted my characters to be able to say in so many other games in similar situations.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Torrannor posted:

I know the thread probably discussed this back when the game was fresh, but I'm still in awe that Claude actually flips out about somebody ostensibly on the "good guys" side knowing a lot more about the situation, but still holding back. Yes, the time for secrets is over. Like, thank you Claude, for saying something that I wanted my characters to be able to say in so many other games in similar situations.

He is fine with keeping his own secrets though.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Inu posted:

Someone needs to call a doctor for that one guy in the Abyss who's constantly puking. Like, always.
Post timeskip, the inn has the same brigand clearly passed out drunk on the floor all the time.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

https://twitter.com/MetisFe/status/1173898960626319361

I'd like to know what kind of conversation is going on in here

edit:

OH while we're sharing our favourite monastery details, this one kills me

https://twitter.com/MetisFe/status/1230103998050340864

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/1halfvanilla/status/1314065633999564801?s=19

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
I picked this up on a whim and was pleasantly surprised. Never tried a Fire Emblem game before, since Fates being a dumpster fire and previous games having the reputation of permadeath spooked me. I went Blue and had a good time right up until the finale, and it feels like it deflated the whole experience. The conclusion to the Blue campaign was definitely rushed. Before going back to the game, I want to know some things.

There's no postgame beyond new game+, then? Nowhere to employ all the skills, supports and passives you earned, have to largely wipe the slate clean if you want to play more? I was hoping there'd be an endgame state to do new maps and content in.

So, about the plot. I was scratching my head on this one. Do you need to play each campaign to get the full story? Not just different perspectives and events, but like, basic plot elements. A tremendous amount of plot details is either vaguely implied but never explicitly addressed, or just not touched on at all with my single Blue playthrough. Like what the deal with Byleth's mother was, why crest stones have some kind of connection with turning people into demonic beasts, or post-timeskip Claude unceremoniously ejecting himself out of the plot as soon as it gives him screentime. The worst offender was the Death Knight; he shows up being mysterious throughout the game, and 30 hours later there is finally an opportunity to see who he is -- one of my units even remarked on it -- and then nothing happens when he dies. No reveal, no acknowledgement it happened, the game just hustles on to the final dungeon. What a tease.

I'm guessing many things (the many unique NPCs that showed up once or twice and then died/disappeared forever) are explained on other paths, especially anything to do with Edelgard, the demons, and the empire, but just what? Is a lot of the plot built on implications of church/demon/dragon things that are never overtly confirmed or denied?

On a more interesting note, I was caught by surprise with something that happens in the game's second half, and was left feeling a bit guilty. I know the series is known for permadeath, but I can't say I was expecting everyone that I failed to recruit in time ended up on opposing sides and I had to kill them... It felt vile doing that after spending a year checking in on them, giving them gifts, and sharing tea. You got me, Three Houses. :smith:

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Mizuti posted:

So, about the plot. I was scratching my head on this one. Do you need to play each campaign to get the full story?

That's one way to do it, though there's lots of lets plays and plot summaries out there too. You can risk another multipage debate kickstarting by asking pointed questions from people who've played different routes, but you can just generally piece together an overarching lore and all the main character's perspectives and motivations through multiple play throughs. There's some side stuff you might have missed on Blue Lions by the sound of it, such as the Mercedes+Caspar Paralogue.

Mizuti posted:

On a more interesting note, I was caught by surprise with something that happens in the game's second half, and was left feeling a bit guilty. I know the series is known for permadeath, but I can't say I was expecting everyone that I failed to recruit in time ended up on opposing sides and I had to kill them... It felt vile doing that after spending a year checking in on them, giving them gifts, and sharing tea. You got me, Three Houses. :smith:

I mean that seemed like it should be obvious. They're all from different countries, what happens when those countries go to war? Its pretty good to experience that at least once through. One of the more compelling aspects of this game is the tragedy.

Rimusutera fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 9, 2020

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Yeah, that is a outcome that I knew was going to come up eventually. But I expected to have another opportunity to recruit them, or just more time to do so. Nope! If you miss that window it's closed for good. I lost out on a fair amount of content from this, but it ties in beautifully with the story. I approve -- I'm used to JRPGs trying to build tension off of similar conflicts, but not having the courage to actually commit to something so final and potentially feel-bad. It usually ends up becoming a weak fake out, preserving the status quo.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

the possibly best move in the whole game was giving the (sympathetic) enemies the exact same kind of painfully dramatic death scene as your units get

and boy they upped the drama of those significantly too in 3H compared to earlier. most people have absolutely horrifying death screams.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
For what it's worth Azure Moon certainly felt, to me, like the one that gave you the least to work with. Crimson Flower gives way more info about contemporary politics and Verdant Wind way more background and lore to explain the backstory leading up to the war. Azure Moon is a strong character piece but it's weird how it leaves so many plot threads dangling.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Deltasquid posted:

For what it's worth Azure Moon certainly felt, to me, like the one that gave you the least to work with. Crimson Flower gives way more info about contemporary politics and Verdant Wind way more background and lore to explain the backstory leading up to the war. Azure Moon is a strong character piece but it's weird how it leaves so many plot threads dangling.

It's because Byleth follows the other Lords, so how much you see depends on the Lord you're following. Edelgard knows about the world because of her situation, so you get to learn about it. Claude cares and investigates about Fodlan's situation, so you learn about it. Dimitri doesn't know nor care, his one and only focus is on revenge, and even after he gets over it, his focus is just on getting the Kingdom back in action.

I think it's a neat idea at least, that you learn as much as your protagonist allows.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Mizuti posted:

Yeah, that is a outcome that I knew was going to come up eventually. But I expected to have another opportunity to recruit them, or just more time to do so. Nope! If you miss that window it's closed for good. I lost out on a fair amount of content from this, but it ties in beautifully with the story. I approve -- I'm used to JRPGs trying to build tension off of similar conflicts, but not having the courage to actually commit to something so final and potentially feel-bad. It usually ends up becoming a weak fake out, preserving the status quo.

Interesting note: There is one character in each route whom if you have your house leader defeat them in the second part, you get an option to immediately recruit them instead of kill them. It was an interesting little twist I ran into randomly during my first playthrough that really made me enjoy the game even more.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Most of what you're asking does come up on the other routes. Blue Lions is very much a character story, rather than a story about the setting itself.

One of your questions can be answered by having both Mercedes and Caspar in your army, and is theoretically missable if you never do this on any route.

There's one big plot DLC (Cindered Shadows) which adds a stand alone side story, through which you can unlock characters and content in the main game. This addresses most of the questions that are only partially touched on across the routes.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Of course there is another way to see the Death Knight's story, you just need to do Black Eagles, given that he just straight up joins your party with the free dlc. Make sure to recruit Mercie for their supports.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

AlternateNu posted:

Interesting note: There is one character in each route whom if you have your house leader defeat them in the second part, you get an option to immediately recruit them instead of kill them. It was an interesting little twist I ran into randomly during my first playthrough that really made me enjoy the game even more.

This isn’t actually true and only one such character exists in Crimson Flower.

You have to recruit Ashe and Lorenz in White Clouds in order to recruit them in Part 2 outside of their house.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

hopeandjoy posted:

This isn’t actually true and only one such character exists in Crimson Flower.

You have to recruit Ashe and Lorenz in White Clouds in order to recruit them in Part 2 outside of their house.

Lysithea can be recruited this way on CF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Rimusutera posted:

Lysithea can be recruited this way on CF

...yeah that’s the exception I noted. The person I was quoting was claiming there was one unit like this unit in all routes, which isn’t true.