Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

:yaybutt: is used to getting yelled at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Remembering I have cloud2butt installed when I'm on the forums in Chrome is still endlessly entertaining for me.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Knormal posted:

Is this guy's management involved in this yet?

I think at this point I'd be recommend he go to a basic O365 training course, preferably one of the week-long ones :getin:

Mmm, this supposes that this client is well run by competent management who would know what's going on and care.

(It's an arts nonprofit).

It's by far our worst client in many many ways - in fact we don't have any other clients nearly as bad since the rest are actual real companies, with money, and (mostly) intelligent management. We've been a bit surprised this org hasn't closed doors due to COVID because their entire revenue stream depends (depended) on having a lot of people in a performance space at once, but they seem to be surviving for now. Good for them, but also means we continue getting stupid poo poo from their prize-winning employees. So our attitude of "sure buddy" is almost completely informed by the fact that management isn't gonna give a poo poo or be on our side (though they're not that likely to step in on his side either), and after years of taking crap from them we've stopped caring nearly as much about, y'know, making sure everything is just as they want it, because it's quite literally not worth our time. At least they're paying us now - there was a good year or two where they literally didn't pay us. I can see how most MSPs devolve into what the stereotype of MSPs is, because if most of our clients were like this one, we'd be exactly the same - get as much money as possible, gently caress the client as hard as possible, move on. It's only because we've done our best to work with good companies that we're able to do things correctly, not do stupid break/fix agreements, and actually have decent environments and good relationships with clients.

The other thing specifically about 365 is that it took their CEO/CFO getting their email accounts breached last year and money literally almost transferred from their bank (bank stopped the transfer because it looked shady) before they finally bought M365 premium licenses allowing us to enable real 2-factor and Azure information protection/filtering, so at this point, having yelled at them for 3-4 years to get 365 licenses with them refusing because the nonprofit rates for M365 licenses were a bridge too far for them, we're absolutely not gonna go replace the software with 2016 on this dude's machine. (How, you ask, did the crooks get bank information from email access? WELL IT TURNS OUT the CFO had literally just emailed the CEO a word doc of "here's our new bank account numbers" the week before this breach :suicide:).

Oh and BOY HOWDY have we since gotten angry emails about Azure blocking emails with credit card numbers in them. "We've been doing this for years without problems!" Congrats. Happy for you. Shut it.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
At what point do you just fire them for being useless dead weight, or calling their merchant gateway/acquirers about the "we've been doing this for years"

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Microsoft's non-profit pricing is generous af the heck is he talking about

Sometimes it's literally free

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

klosterdev posted:

Microsoft's non-profit pricing is generous af the heck is he talking about

Sometimes it's literally free

Yeah I didn't go further into it in that post because it was already book-length, but they were using the E2 O365 licenses (free to nonprofits), which is all the online services but no desktop software and no Azure Premium, and we were trying to convince them to buy the Microsoft 365 Business Premium licenses, which are $5/user/month for nonprofits, which is a loving QUARTER of what they cost normally (annual pricing). And these people were protesting that.

Also, I may have made it sound like they finally gave in to buy the licenses after they got breached. It was actually six months after they got breached, as in it took six months of us continuing to yell at them before they finally committed to pay a "princely sum" of around $220 a month.

Biowarfare posted:

At what point do you just fire them for being useless dead weight

Been telling my boss to do that for 4 years now but he has a soft spot for them for some loving reason.

Edit: oh right, and because their users are all gigantic loving idiots, actually rolling out 2-factor (using Microsoft Authenticator, which isn't even typing in a code it's loving pop-up notifications on your phone with "tap yes to authenticate") took an ADDITIONAL 4 months because every user setup took at least an hour - it was this past spring so it was all remote because of COVID, and it turns out walking some of these people through the process went something like: "open the app store. No, look for something that says app store. OK now tap it. Now search for--look for 'search'. Do you see a magnifying glass icon? OK click that. Now type Microsoft Auth---that's M-I-C-R-O...oh, sorry I'm going too fast, let me know when you're ready - M-I-C-R-O-S-O-F-T, can you repeat that back? No, not MicrMicrosoft - I was starting from the beginning of the word. That's fine, just tap the backspace key....OK, top right of the keyboard. ....On the phone. ......Are you looking on the phone screen? ...Right, on the phone screen. OK, you've deleted all of the MicrMicrosoft text? What's that? The phone is showing a different screen? Had you tapped away from the search box? OK the phone is showing the home screen now".

<continue as such for an hour>

"Great so yes now when you type in your password the phone will prompt you to tap yes to authenticate. .....Right, you need to have your phone with you all the time. ....Well I do apologize for that but yes a lot of people do carry their phone with them all the time now".

Thankfully the helpdesk techs (for whom I have a ton of gratitude) dealt with all this, but jesus christ these people.

SyNack Sassimov fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Oct 6, 2020

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I am so happy I don't do any form of user support anymore.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

sfwarlock posted:

Eh, gently caress Ben, but Larry got a little less laidback; from what I heard he came down on Ben like a ton of ... of.. rectangular building things.

Fri 4:32 pm Ben: Hey man, why'd you have to do me like that?
Fri 4:36 pm me: You did ME like that FIRST.

I am assuming you have had a chat with Larry to say - look at the start of this project I said we should not reduce the steps because the steps are required. Reducing the steps increases the risk of stuff going wrong like the tests are now showing. (etc etc)

I can't exactly recall the exact details of the start of things but this sounds like the time you stop working with Ben as we have established Ben to be an idiot and just say "I told you so can we stop this craziness"

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
A ticket came in...

I applaud the effort at least.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
At least you can deduce that the problem is an unavailable share and work to verify that. That's... depressingly high quality.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Arquinsiel posted:

At least you can deduce that the problem is an unavailable share and work to verify that. That's... depressingly high quality.

Yeah not complaining about that one. Just NOT what my brain expected at 23:30 on a Monday.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It is a bit more circular than I would like alright.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Arquinsiel posted:

Agreed.....though the folder names gave me a twitch:
code:
AAA
AAAA
AAB
ADA
ADD

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Moo the cow posted:

Agreed.....though the folder names gave me a twitch:
code:
AAA
AAAA
AAB
ADA
ADD

you missed the one that explains it all

'Acting Director'

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

angry armadillo posted:

you missed the one that explains it all

'AAAAActing Director'

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've tried in the past to get people away from the drive letter thing by deploying shortcuts and using DFS-N and going "look it's the same, just use the share name" but it's an impossible task, people love drive letters.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Thanks Ants posted:

I've tried in the past to get people away from the drive letter thing by deploying shortcuts and using DFS-N and going "look it's the same, just use the share name" but it's an impossible task, people love drive letters.

Ours are mapped through GPO and once that is done it's like it's been inscribed in stone. You will never get buy in from anyone to go back or go forward.
Drive letters are the past, present, and future.

Of course my favorite are the people who figured out how to map their own drive letters to subfolders so they can skirt the Windows max_path filename character limit. The most impressive one was 796 I think. Of course once the file was there, they couldn't do poo poo with it but that didn't stop them from submitting tickets.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Of course my favorite are the people who figured out how to map their own drive letters to subfolders so they can skirt the Windows max_path filename character limit. The most impressive one was 796 I think. Of course once the file was there, they couldn't do poo poo with it but that didn't stop them from submitting tickets.

That was my secret technique to force people to stop deleting a folder they didn't want to see in "their" (everyone's) network share folder that happened to be load bearing for some lovely in-house software.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
At a recent job, the Accounting share was the A:\ drive.

Every single 90s computer memory in my brain jumped up and down for ten minutes until I could get them to calm down.

Meanwhile:

With a dev server and some automated testing, I have cracked the puzzle. It seems that the server does A Thing that must happen before setup can proceed successfully, which explains the "wait 15 minutes and reboot" step. Except: it doesn't happen on a sane schedule, like :00, :15, :30, and :45 after the hour. As best as I can tell, it happens ... every 14:30 or so. :suicide:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I reformatted a USB stick a few days ago and was offered the A:\ drive automatically. It was... a weird feeling.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

sfwarlock posted:

At a recent job, the Accounting share was the A:\ drive.

Every single 90s computer memory in my brain jumped up and down for ten minutes until I could get them to calm down.

Meanwhile:

With a dev server and some automated testing, I have cracked the puzzle. It seems that the server does A Thing that must happen before setup can proceed successfully, which explains the "wait 15 minutes and reboot" step. Except: it doesn't happen on a sane schedule, like :00, :15, :30, and :45 after the hour. As best as I can tell, it happens ... every 14:30 or so. :suicide:

I'm going to guess it runs ever 10 minutes and currently takes 4:30 to complete

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Oh and BOY HOWDY have we since gotten angry emails about Azure blocking emails with credit card numbers in them. "We've been doing this for years without problems!" Congrats. Happy for you. Shut it.

We just enabled filtering a couple months ago at my workplace, and Accounting still gets salty about it and having to encrypt things. I don't know how many times I've seen "we never had to do this before..." in an email. Thankfully, I don't have to deal with that part.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
One of the fun things working the SOC for a client that just got owned was responding to that saying "and that's why your whole company got pwnt".

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

This is a completely clean dev server with only test devices. That would be some lovely code.

(In other words: I'm taking it as possible.)

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Super Soaker Party! posted:

Microsoft 365 Business Premium licenses

Interesting, just looked in the billing portal and they're offering nonprofits Microsoft 365 Business Premium for free in some circumstances

quote:

Microsoft 365 Business Premium (Nonprofit Staff Pricing) Donation
Best for businesses that need all the apps and services included in Business Standard plus advanced cyber threat protection and device management. For businesses with up to 300 employees.

Wonder if that means we could get up to 300 licenses and then pay on top of that, or that we would be violating terms if our org size is beyond 300 employees? If the former that would make moving above E1 much more affordable for a medium-size org.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You can't put more than 300 Business licenses in a tenant, you need to move to Enterprise after that point

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Thanks Ants posted:

You can't put more than 300 Business licenses in a tenant, you need to move to Enterprise after that point

Another tenant!!!!

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I'm New Folder (8)

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
:v: %computer% never came back up

:what: I'm in it now

:v: Yeah, but it never came up

:what: You can see me doing stuff on this machine, right?

:v: Yeah but it never came back up!"

:mad: WHAT DOES THAT MEAN??

:v: IT NEVER CAME UP

:suicide:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

larchesdanrew posted:

Yes.

The world is still spinning.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

larchesdanrew posted:

Nobody ever spoke of it again.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Geemer posted:

Nobody ever spoke of it again.

That's what I assumed

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

klosterdev posted:

Interesting, just looked in the billing portal and they're offering nonprofits Microsoft 365 Business Premium for free in some circumstances

Wonder if that means we could get up to 300 licenses and then pay on top of that, or that we would be violating terms if our org size is beyond 300 employees? If the former that would make moving above E1 much more affordable for a medium-size org.

Back in February when we moved this nonprofit client to BusPrem licenses, Microsoft was only giving you 10 BusPrem licenses for free. Did you actually try it to see if they're donating more than 10? If they've changed that it would be really useful to shut this client up about the cost.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Didn't look any closer, but we're also not moving off E1 to M365, at least for now. Def check it out if relevant to yourself tho if you have access to the billing portal!

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

RFC2324 posted:

If it takes 4:30 to complete but runs every ten minutes, the job still completes every ten minutes. :eng101:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

365 hosed for anyone else? Down across my whole company. Can't even get to outlook.office.com.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

My billing portal for our nonprofit (currently on E2) also shows 300 free licenses for M365. Thanks for the info, they weren't offering that last time I checked!

Speaking of 365 though... did another outage just hit in the last few minutes?

wa27 fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 7, 2020

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Surprise!

https://twitter.com/MSFT365Status/status/1313907317193297920

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

yeah, there's more than one outage going on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

My Teams has been fine, but Outlook has been bouncing up and down for the last 3 hours.

LOL, it just dropped back offline right now.