Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

helstein
Mar 12, 2006

Jazzzzz posted:

I'm not sure if this is the same gas tank crap you're talking about, but some Euro manufacturers (BMW, Ducati are the two I know of) use Acerbis for their plastic tanks, and Acerbis has yet to make one that can deal with ethanol blends without swelling. If you don't line the tank when the bike's brand new or religiously use non-ethanol fuel only (impossible in large swathes of the US), your bodywork doesn't fit right after the first year or two of ownership. The gas cap ring on my Multistrada sits about 1.5cm above the tank cover (should be flush with it) and the GS has drat near 1cm panel gaps between the top tank panel and the sides. Ridiculous levels of bullshit for $20k+ bikes.

It's almost the same thing. KTM has used 2 different vendors of their tanks on the 690, but both dissolves. The tank svells a bit so all fasteners become loose (I had to drill 4 of the screws on the old tank to get the colored panels off), but the main problem is that the inside dissolves into the gasoline, creating a sort of milky goo that clogs injectors and stuff. Even the old lawn mover didn't like that gasoline.

Clean gasoline was the standard here in Norway (straight from the North sea, yay), but it now has more and more ethanol in it. We have for instance stopped buying gasoline from the CK chain, as all the 3 NX250s we have stutters around 5500 rpm on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Guy I worked with had an 848 with a plastic tank with some kind of cream colored liner in it, apparently applied at factory or dealer or something. I'm only familiar with one tank liner that is that color, it's called Kreem and it's not designed to adhere to plastic as far as I know. And this liner was either applied slightly wrong (it was applied on top of rubber vent lines inside the tank, which would make it impossible to ever repair those rubber lines if they have issues, AND was not covering all surfaces) or was peeling off and caused a leak. Why not just make a plastic that is alcohol-resistant? Doesn't the entirety of the American continent use varying degrees of ethanol? I'm not saying I like it but it's not a fringe thing.
But look at all the grams of weight savings!

Monster 1100, multistrada, some others have all got the magically expanding tank that you must never, every leave unbolted for more than a few hours or it doesn't bolt back in just in case the person used e10 which is available in some places and has been marketed as cool and good and not at all pure death for bikes.

Imagine how heavy and unmanageable those bikes would be with a stamped steel tank though!

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
On the plastic tank note, how does that affect the ones with non-standard tank placement? ie under seat, low tanks and similar. Do they have the same expando issues?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Not if they're Japanese because those have metal tanks even when your can't see them, almost as if they knew something...

Unless you mean euro stuff in which case yeah it makes no difference whatsoever they all swell up, some just have pretty paint on the outside.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Monster 1100, multistrada, some others have all got the magically expanding tank that you must never, every leave unbolted for more than a few hours or it doesn't bolt back in just in case the person used e10 which is available in some places and has been marketed as cool and good and not at all pure death for bikes.

Imagine how heavy and unmanageable those bikes would be with a stamped steel tank though!

On the multi, the plastic tank isn't so much for weight savings (I don't think), it's because it's such a weird loving shape that goes under the seat and back up under the pillion seat (which can trap fuel if the vent gets blocked, incidentally), which they did so that they could squeeze touring capacity worth of gas into a relitively small-for-a-touring-bike frame.
Much easier to make this

Out of moulded plastic instead of stamped steel.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

No. Don't buy into their lies. It was much better looking to do it that way, practicality had no bearing on the matter.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

No. Don't buy into their lies. It was much better looking to do it that way, practicality had no bearing on the matter.

Normally I'd agree, but this is a 1st gen multistrada we're talking about.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
I ran pump gas with premix in it on my ktm. How long before I die?

It’s interesting because all the stuff that seems bad on street bikes makes more sense for dirt bikes and at least to me it looks like KTM was good at one thing and has expanded that design philosophy to their other lines. For example, weight savings is important on dirt bikes so it makes sense to save grams here and there because long term that’s how you get a street legal 500 exc with a wet weight of 255lbs (compared to the crf450l at 289 and another big f u to Yamaha for not making a street legal wr450). Or with tanks, it’s far more typical to run race gas on a dirt bike that you’re racing (although worth noting that I had a G650X and they have an issue where ethanol clogs a breather in the throttle body that makes them act like the pilot jet is clogged despite being a fuel injected bike) but if you export that general conceit to the rest of your line you end up with a very bad result. Compound all of that with manufacturing some of their cheaper bikes in India and you start to get real issues.

Also, just taking this moment while I’m on my soapbox to say what the hell yamaha? Either bring us a real electric dirt bike (please) or put some more work into your dirt bikes. The yz250x got electric start last year! Where’s the oil injection? Also, obviously I am still mad about no street legal wr450s in the US.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Turns out making actual race bikes for the street is maybe a bad idea once you take them out of their hermetically sealed 15-mechanic race environment and plop them on the street with no maintenance

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Turns out making actual race bikes for the street is maybe a bad idea once you take them out of their hermetically sealed 15-mechanic race environment and plop them on the street with no maintenance

Nah

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Hey it works for the Dodge Demon. Sure you need to put race fuel into it and prep it every time you want to achieve the advertised performance, but that doesn't stop people from doing that on regular roads, even ones that aren't maintained to the same degree as tracks.

Oh it does? It does. Well poo poo.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If Sylvester Stallone can use an Indy car to clean quarters off the street then so can I dammit

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Despite all it's other issues my first gen MV Agusta F4S has a metal tank although all the new F3 ones are plastic.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This. Even Ducati figured out that people who say they want a race bike for the road really just want a racing stripe and bone-crushing suspension to brag about at the pub. Race bikes are terrible pieces of poo poo if you're anyone other than a racing team.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Yuns posted:

Despite all it's other issues my first gen MV Agusta F4S has a metal tank although all the new F3 ones are plastic.

That is one of the most beautiful bikes ever made, I am jealous.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

TheBacon posted:

That is one of the most beautiful bikes ever made, I am jealous.

Agreed. Yuns, how many miles you got on it? What do you think of it? I've dreamed of one of those for a while but I can't help imagining it wouldn't be THAT awesome to own and would be difficult to maintain even for someone with experience on Italian bikes.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Slavvy posted:

This. Even Ducati figured out that people who say they want a race bike for the road really just want a racing stripe and bone-crushing suspension to brag about at the pub. Race bikes are terrible pieces of poo poo if you're anyone other than a racing team.

I ordered Nitron suspension bits for my FZ-09 because I was tired of the factory parts set up for a 140lb miniature person, and I specified "I want a PLUSH street ride" in the notes section of the order form. I still ended up with something that's far better suited for track than street. Of course it's better than stock but is still ultra firm and will kick you out of the seat on good bumps. I guess they're used to street Rossi wannabes?

Agreed. Yuns, how many miles you got on it? What do you think of it? I've dreamed of one of those for a while but I can't help imagining it wouldn't be THAT awesome to own and would be difficult to maintain even for someone with experience on Italian bikes.

The guy I bought my Multi from bought an F4 as his next bike and had it for less than a year - radiator cracked and required welding, bunch of little electrical issues. I get the notion MV ownership is a labor of love.

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 6, 2020

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Jazzzzz posted:

I ordered Nitron suspension bits for my FZ-09 because I was tired of the factory parts set up for a 140lb miniature person, and I specified "I want a PLUSH street ride" in the notes section of the order form I still ended up with something that's far better suited for track than street. Of course it's better than stock but is still far too firm and will kick you out of the seat on good bumps. I guess they're used to street Rossi wannabes?

Yammie Noob did own one afterall...

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Not many miles. It's a weekend bike and I use my KTM as my daily driver. It hasn't been that hard to maintain other than parts are harder to get now if I were to need them. Every time it goes in for maintenance it's fine. I know it's an older engine but 126 hp is plenty for me. Yes it's heavy and underpowered compared to current bikes but the chassis is sublime. Trail braking deep in corners is a joy. It sat for a few yesrs unused so it's in the shop for replacement of fluids, hoses and fuel pump.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

helstein posted:

It's almost the same thing. KTM has used 2 different vendors of their tanks on the 690, but both dissolves. The tank svells a bit so all fasteners become loose (I had to drill 4 of the screws on the old tank to get the colored panels off), but the main problem is that the inside dissolves into the gasoline, creating a sort of milky goo that clogs injectors and stuff. Even the old lawn mover didn't like that gasoline.

Clean gasoline was the standard here in Norway (straight from the North sea, yay), but it now has more and more ethanol in it. We have for instance stopped buying gasoline from the CK chain, as all the 3 NX250s we have stutters around 5500 rpm on that.

What also bugged me about the tank on the 690 was that the (hinged) fuel cap wants to fall shut, instead of open. One of those things no journalist would ever notice.

helstein
Mar 12, 2006

High Protein posted:

What also bugged me about the tank on the 690 was that the (hinged) fuel cap wants to fall shut, instead of open. One of those things no journalist would ever notice.

The key lid on the tank will also shake loose, so it goes "brirbbbbrriirkrkkkrikiiiiiii" while you drive. ... And, I forgot about the radiator. Welded the first leak, but the second crack was so bad I had to buy a new one. The frame around it is too flimsy, it crumples like an accordion.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

My local (amazing) canyon roads are closed from the recent fires, every on-ramp I use within the area has been repaved with A TON of gravel leftover and feels super sketch, and half the roads near my house were recently "fixed" with incredible amounts of tar snakes. I thought maybe my aversion of tar snakes was due to an on-ramp near my buddy's house which is a 270 degree uphill turn with tar snakes at the very end that will scare the poo poo out of you, but now I've lost traction twice right where I brake at the end of a long straight to make a left turn getting home. And while I used to always brake hard there for practice (no one behind me most of the time), I wouldn't rate my braking ability as very high and I'm certainly not doing stoppies. Between that and the heat it's like the universe is trying to take a lot of the fun out of riding around on my bike when compared to the creature comforts of my truck.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

MomJeans420 posted:

Between that and the heat it's like the universe is trying to take a lot of the fun out of riding around on my bike when compared to the creature comforts of my truck.
This would have been a fantastic year for riding; great way to keep away from people and get out of the house, keep your mind off of all the impending doom of hellworld for a while, if it wasn't for... all the impending doom of hellworld.

This was a big reason I sold my bike earlier this summer. I couldn't even enjoy it as an escape because everything's on fire, I'm more stressed about money than usual, and I started getting up in my head about crashing and ending up in a covid plague ward, which made me an even worse rider than I usually was. Now I just lurk and browse craigslist every couple weeks. Maybe I'll get something like an SV650 in a couple years, see how everything shakes out.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

My bike makes a weird wobbling sensation, really strange, no idea why.

The wheel is severely buckled? How bizarre I wonder how that happened??

Crash damage? What? No I definitely haven't crashed it, I'd remember something like that!

Ooh wait hahaha yeah I remember, I rammed a parked car the other day!

I can't be confident I'm quoting the guy with total accuracy but that's how the conversation went. Still searching for an explanation that makes sense to me.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Didn't you ever see cartoons where a hit on the head resulted in amnesia? Obviously what happened in the crash.

The proper course of action is to hit them on the head again as that will usually reverse the condition.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

But it might have to be a piano or a safe or something big like that. You can try a baseball bat I guess.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Is that part of the car he hit that's sticking out between the wheel and tire? There's no way you wouldn't see that when you got on the bike to ride?

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

are you culpable if you fix someone's hit and run damage?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Careful, if you pull that plastic bit out the whole bike with deflate with a slide whistle sound.

GriszledMelkaba posted:

Cops would take one look at the red paint and know it was from a red dirtbike and throw Slavvy in the clink.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Closest I've ever come to a collision today. SUV driver turned left from a side street in front of me. She looked like she was going to wait but nope. Fortunately, I've got tremendous brass balls, and I was already covering my brakes. I stopped a foot short of her gas cap, with my rear tire what felt like three feet in the air. When it settled, the bike fell over to the left but I managed to stop it from hitting the ground. All I could think to shout was "WOOOO!!!"

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Coydog posted:

Careful, if you pull that plastic bit out the whole bike with deflate with a slide whistle sound.

I dunno, I think it would blow around the room crashing into walls and ceiling going "pphhthhththhtbbbthhtbthtbbb"

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Coydog posted:

Cops would take one look at the red paint and know it was from a red dirtbike and throw Slavvy in the clink.

lol

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MomJeans420 posted:

Is that part of the car he hit that's sticking out between the wheel and tire? There's no way you wouldn't see that when you got on the bike to ride?

Yeah it's a piece of bumper plastic, if I had to guess by color either toyota or a GM product of some sort. I'm pretty sure he doesn't remember crashing because he was hammered at the time. I don't know how he was aware of the colossal wobble but not the red paint smears etc, the bike hsdn't even hit the ground. Idk.

GriszledMelkaba posted:

The only time I'd be culpable if I somehow helped disguise a stolen bike or something, even then if I have a paper trail and everything looks legit from my end there's no problem. The opinions of the car owner he crashed into aren't my problem.

I think I may have worked on a couple of hot bikes in the past but couldn't be sure; the only way to protect against accusations like that would be if I called the pigs for literally every vin number and ask them if it's stolen. Luckily, I don't live in a litigious fascist hellscape so I'd never be liable for anything like that, I'm just a guy that fixes bikes.

I refuse bikes with missing vin numbers, I refuse owners with visible patches, I refuse to build deathtrap poo poo just because the owner thinks it would look super cool. These simple rules have kept me clear of any trouble. Past that it's all fair game, the origins and history of the bikes aren't legally my concern.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 4, 2020

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

What do y'all do when somebody walks up to you (at an intersection, parked, whatever) and starts talking at you and you can't hear a god damned thing because you're wearing earplugs and a helmet (and possibly have something playing in your helmet speakers)?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Point at my ears and say I have ear plugs in

Not much else you can do really

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Point at the helmet where my ears are and shrug. Then ignore them.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I've sometimes thought it'd be nice if my Sena had an outside mic for times like that.

Mostly it's fine though, gently caress talking to people :goonsay:

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

FBS posted:

What do y'all do when somebody walks up to you (at an intersection, parked, whatever) and starts talking at you and you can't hear a god damned thing because you're wearing earplugs and a helmet (and possibly have something playing in your helmet speakers)?

Rev the engine.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Just bounce it off the limiter until they go away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Renaissance Robot posted:

I've sometimes thought it'd be nice if my Sena had an outside mic for times like that.

Mostly it's fine though, gently caress talking to people :goonsay:
The Sena does. Hit the ambient mode button on the bottom of the clamp unit (20S not sure how to do it on other Senas) and you can hear outside sounds.