Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I've seen some tiny as poo poo kitchens in NYC but I feel like "my kitchen is too small" is usually code for "there is already stuff all over my counters".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

At this point, my back is bad enough, I'm not gonna go digging every time I need a pot or pan. So I just keep two large ones out and use those :v:

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

.... What about just having different piles on your cutting board that you just dump in?

One can mise without a mess

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

At this point, my back is bad enough, I'm not gonna go digging every time I need a pot or pan. So I just keep two large ones out and use those :v:

my ceramic-coated cast iron dutch oven has been the single greatest culinary revolution I have personally experienced

I cook so much poo poo in that thing

e. well okay it's tied with my immersion circulator, both good

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Code Jockey posted:

my ceramic-coated cast iron dutch oven has been the single greatest culinary revolution I have personally experienced

I cook so much poo poo in that thing

e. well okay it's tied with my immersion circulator, both good

Get a Kitchenaid with a dough hook and a good set of knives and you're set for life

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

CannonFodder posted:

Get a Kitchenaid with a dough hook and a good set of knives and you're set for life

Get this, the nurse was actually a man with a dough hook!

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

LifeSunDeath posted:

Get this, the nurse was actually a man with a dough hook!

A man who can walk into any kitchen and make the staff of life?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Man dough hand hook cast iron

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Your kitchen is too small for these things?

No argument with combining ingredients going in at the same time during prep, but it's worth the effort.

I have a set of silicone bowls of different sizes for this, I pretty much always set everything up in those, measuring cups, and whatever bowls I have around that feel appropriate (I have a set of plastic salsa bowls that work pretty well for holding a chopped onion).

And before I start anything, I get those all set up, anything going in at the same time goes in the same bowl, unless they won't all fit, and then I just line them up in order of when things go in the pan.

Now, if I could only convince my roommate to do this.

Ror posted:

I've seen some tiny as poo poo kitchens in NYC but I feel like "my kitchen is too small" is usually code for "there is already stuff all over my counters".

It's weird, my old apartment really had a tiny rear end kitchen compared to the one we have now. I have a floor mat that sits in front of the sink, which filled up the entire floor or my old kitchen.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Doing mise en place into little bowls is a good idea in general, but I usually can't be bothered and just make little piles of stuff on my cutting board.

One thing that absolutely gets me every time though with cooking shows is when they put like mustard or something in a little bowl and they only take out like 2/3rds of the contents.
THAT IS PERFECTLY FINE MUSTARD DON'T WASTE IT. JUST SQUEEZE SOME FROM THE BOTTLE AAARGH.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CGAYFtiHy6d/?igshid=1s7h3ztkacxev

It's been said before but this guy is a pro-instagram follow, aside from his ridiculous food shtick he does loads for charity, including a recent video where he helped build a stray dog tent hotel

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Butterfly Valley posted:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CGAYFtiHy6d/?igshid=1s7h3ztkacxev

It's been said before but this guy is a pro-instagram follow, aside from his ridiculous food shtick he does loads for charity, including a recent video where he helped build a stray dog tent hotel

I can't deal with his stupid face sorry.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Filling those with rice and large greenish grey tubular things is not the most appetising look

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Your kitchen is too small for these things?

No argument with combining ingredients going in at the same time during prep, but it's worth the effort.

I do wind up doing similar things, but I have about twelve inches on either side of my stove and putting stuff by the sink greatly increases the chances of me spilling it when I bring it over to the stove side, plus the more crowded things get the easier it is to knock something over

a bunch of my counter space is eaten up by things that should be in cabinets, except that I don't have enough cabinet space, either

some of my friends in town have kitchens that are physically too small to cook in, like twelve inches of counter space total, but I'm not quite that nuts

EDIT: oh and I use gladware for this when I can, they're nice and stable sitting on the counter and the square corners are easy to pour out of

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

CannonFodder posted:

Yep, this too. Still using my mom's 20+ year old Kitchenaid and it rules.

The Bloop posted:

Man dough hand hook cast iron

lmao

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

spankmeister posted:

One thing that absolutely gets me every time though with cooking shows is when they put like mustard or something in a little bowl and they only take out like 2/3rds of the contents.
THAT IS PERFECTLY FINE MUSTARD DON'T WASTE IT. JUST SQUEEZE SOME FROM THE BOTTLE AAARGH.

yes jesus christ thank you

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's a way to present every individual ingredient if you want to do that, but if you don't have a camera on, I don't see the point of using a bunch of extra dishes and space.

I saw these in the store yesterday. I guess the idea is that hey, here's what you're missing out on because all the masks (and also they got a bunch of press releases on local news sites for the local residents they're using the faces of) but I just...I dunno, that's not what I wanna look at when I'm gonna eat food.

It just gives me the creeps in the store when there's this giant half a face picture right up there.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's a way to present every individual ingredient if you want to do that, but if you don't have a camera on, I don't see the point of using a bunch of extra dishes and space.

I saw these in the store yesterday. I guess the idea is that hey, here's what you're missing out on because all the masks (and also they got a bunch of press releases on local news sites for the local residents they're using the faces of) but I just...I dunno, that's not what I wanna look at when I'm gonna eat food.

It just gives me the creeps in the store when there's this giant half a face picture right up there.
Those have been around for years and I agree they are creepy.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

Shameful that they relegate mustaches to the poppables ghetto.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Please don't post pictures of ribkid, who grew up to be a murderer.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

angerbeet posted:

Please don't post pictures of ribkid, who grew up to be a murderer.

Hmmm

Anyway, hello afp thread I read this whole disgusting mess and I only have one question:

Why wasn't there ever any closure on the flavor hating dad chef? I still think about that sometimes

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Mondian posted:

Hmmm

Anyway, hello afp thread I read this whole disgusting mess and I only have one question:

Why wasn't there ever any closure on the flavor hating dad chef? I still think about that sometimes

I tell that story as an anecdote in RL, and it sucks that it just ends with no moral or punchline

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Tertiary update: we found out exactly what he's eating, please revert to original update

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/y9uKZ4K.mp4

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Ugh they always have to ruin it with nutella

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Oh no, not pancakes

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Those pancakes are aggressively mediocre looking.

https://twitter.com/qikipedia/status/1313584817875775490

Gross.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Oh yeah, celery was once a hot ticket item. I know it's reddit and all but there's a very good subreddit for vintage menus and celery appears a lot in the appetizers section. Just celery, not with a dip or anything. It's often as expensive as an actual good appetizer would be.

https://www.reddit.com/r/VintageMenus/ is a fun little stroll through the "what the hell?" years of cuisine.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Would, would and also would on those mini-crepe balls.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

At first I thought that they were just nilla wafers, but I guess if they're being made from scratch they're probably okay.

At least before they're drowned in extra sugary toppings.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Celery is legit, I wish it was in more foods it's not supposed to be in.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

:effort:

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

LifeSunDeath posted:

Is there a celery gene like with cilantro, because its basically the only vegetable I won't eat and it tastes absolutely revolting.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Ya’ll crazy if you wouldn’t scarf down some fairgrounds pancakes and beg for more.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

At first I thought that they were just nilla wafers, but I guess if they're being made from scratch they're probably okay.

At least before they're drowned in extra sugary toppings.

They're called "poffertjes", small leavened pancakes from The Netherlands.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

LifeSunDeath posted:

This is just cajun food. Although they can tend to blend it in for the celery babies.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I don't like strawberries, but I see nothing wrong with this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Poffertjes are really good. The nutella isn't traditional and more for tourists but yeah it'd destroy those.