Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Charles posted:

I'm at 69%

I’m at 420%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Charles posted:

I'm at 69%

Nice.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm at the combination 420% 69%

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

I'm at 80085%.

Did I do it right?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

XBenedict posted:

I'm at 80085%.

Did I do it right?

Mine is 55378008.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

My X's PEN level is at 15. Is that okay?

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

PEN15 is exactly what you should be getting, you're doing great.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mine hit 666% then burst into flames, can't figure out why.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

xzzy posted:

That's not an iPhone, that's a Samsung phone. Android thread is that way ->

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
iPhone event October 13.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

iPhone event October 13.

Might be my first foray into the iPhone world this cycle. I'm pretty excited

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

xzzy posted:

just glue it shut and give it to your best friend, problem solved

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Jose Oquendo posted:

iPhone event October 13.

If the rumors of a smaller iPhone 12 (Mini?) are true I am going to be very upset. I still am not in love with my 11. There are many things I like about it. Size is not one of those things.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Somewhat Heroic posted:

If the rumors of a smaller iPhone 12 (Mini?) are true I am going to be very upset. I still am not in love with my 11. There are many things I like about it. Size is not one of those things.

It sounds like the battery in the rumored iPhone 12 Mini is going to be pretty small, if that helps.

I still have my fingers crossed for a high refresh rate screen in the Pro models. The rumors are leaning toward no, but I need a new phone and that's the main new feature I want.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
The event is called “Hi, Speed” so read into that however you want.

https://www.apple.com/apple-events/

It’s also kinda neat if you click on the event logo on that page it brings up a AR thing of balls flying around 10.13. Clearly Tim Apple was reading this thread recently with the numbers and is trying to tell us something.

E: Seriously though the AR thing is kinda neat. If you Google for some common animals (like dog, bear, whale, or even dinosaur I think) Google has a link that opens up the AR viewer and you can see a massive whale swimming in your living room.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I'm punting on upgrading if they don't include ProMotion on this year's Pro phones. Maybe next year.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Boris Galerkin posted:

It’s also kinda neat if you click on the event logo on that page it brings up a AR thing of balls flying around 10.13. Clearly Tim Apple was reading this thread recently with the numbers and is trying to tell us something.

E: Seriously though the AR thing is kinda neat. If you Google for some common animals (like dog, bear, whale, or even dinosaur I think) Google has a link that opens up the AR viewer and you can see a massive whale swimming in your living room.

Man that t-rex is really cramped in my room. :ohdear:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Boris Galerkin posted:

I've never played with AR on my 11, it works surprisingly well now actually. Fun little trick.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Man that t-rex is really cramped in my room. :ohdear:

Do you live in San Diego?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Here's the still

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Oct 6, 2020

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

So among popular use should the selfie camera be mirrored or not?

E: I guess I’m asking what the kids are using these days.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

LionArcher posted:

I suspect the 12 max (not the pro) will have leather cases because it will basically be the same size as the 12 pro, the only body difference from the leaks being the camera bump is bigger on the Pro, so the whole will look slightly silly. My guess is either the 12 regular will only get silicone cases, or, like the SE, will get some leather cases.

either way spending an extra $300 for just the apple case (when other leather cases hold up better) if you don't truly need the extra camera or size (and honestly, does anyone at this point?).

I'm getting a new phone this year (I'm using an iPhone 6s+ bought launch day) but I can't decide between the 12 Max and smaller 12. I'll do 256gig no matter what (I like having a ton of offline music and room for videos and plenty of photos).

Forgive me lord but I must ball out at all costs.

Also lol we didn't get an iPhone 12 :(

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Boris Galerkin posted:

It’s gonna weird out other people so it depends on if it bothers you to see your face “wrong”

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I'm undecided on the 12 Mini if it doesn't have the good camera.
12 Pro Mini please, Steve!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Rumor is there might be a HomePod Mini. I hope the Mini refers to the price because $299 for one is still ridiculous, no matter how good the sound quality is claimed to be.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

If they bring a homepod out around 150, I will likely buy one. For phones, I'm still ok with my 11 and will wait for whatever comes out next year.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I just upgraded to the new iOS and basically all of my iCloud Music Library (through iTunes Match) is gone, anything I can do to get it back? It shows up fine in iTunes on my Mac still.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

phosdex posted:

If they bring a homepod out around 150, I will likely buy one. For phones, I'm still ok with my 11 and will wait for whatever comes out next year.

I joined the IUP with the regular 11 and I'm having a very hard time justifying an upgrade this year. But I may as well since I joined IUP...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I just upgraded to the new iOS and basically all of my iCloud Music Library (through iTunes Match) is gone, anything I can do to get it back? It shows up fine in iTunes on my Mac still.
How long has it been? Sometimes things need time to restore.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The HomePod is regularly on sale for $199 so if they introduce a mini that goes on sale for $99 or so I might pick one up.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Boris Galerkin posted:

Rumor is there might be a HomePod Mini. I hope the Mini refers to the price because $299 for one is still ridiculous, no matter how good the sound quality is claimed to be.

HomePods are infrequently on sale for $200 at the big box stores. Black Friday is a shoo-in. However, a similarly-priced HomePod Mini may throw a wrench into that expectation for this year.

My friend has one -- I'd say the sound is "very good just short of great" given all of the sound is coming from one central location. The way it equalizes itself and fills a room with sound is pretty great. (Maybe the "one central location" thing really helps it here? It really makes a smaller room come alive with sound.) The overall impression I would get is: this thing probably competes very well with a pair of $300 powered speakers, plus you get Apple-centric compatibility. But, it would probably get trounced by a pair of $300 passive speakers paired up to virtually any amplifier.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

homepod mini would be great for my bedroom and i'd buy a 2nd regular pod on firesale if they release a refresh so I can get some stereo going in the living room.

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

I'm assuming that mirroring the selfie camera is for the use case of using your phone like a make-up mirror.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

enojy posted:

The overall impression I would get is: this thing probably competes very well with a pair of $300 powered speakers, plus you get Apple-centric compatibility.

The HomePod is reasonable as a kitchen / dining room speaker, looks decent too. But the price is horrific, and in the UK looks even more crazy than in the USA, as the price difference vs competitors is amplified here.

It’s the centrepiece of their HomeKit setup and should be sold at a loss to get people into the ecosystem. Or at least it’s price should reduce over the years to track lower costs.

But they’re doing the opposite, and keeping it at 150% the cost of the fanciest Amazon Echo. A non starter.

With “apple compatibility” you get incompatibility with anything else (not even Bluetooth or a line in).

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

Hey, maybe this is a dumb question, but as someone who lives in the UK but is currently locked down in Spain, will there be any difference between an iPhone picked up here vs one I get in the UK? Very much need a new phone at this point and am gonna jump from Android to iOS, but don't want to be hampered by slower updates or unavailable features or whatever. Thanks.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I have Google speakers around the house because they worked with a ton more automation stuff than Home kit. Also the minis were like $25 each and I've even got a few more for free (which I've still have in boxes because I have them in all my rooms now).

But they still don't support Apple Music (Alexa does) so I might be tempted to get a cheap homepod that sounds good just as a living room speaker.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I've got Sonos around the house and love the hell out of them.

Until the app updates and makes them obsolete and I have to throw them in the landfill.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

How long has it been? Sometimes things need time to restore.
I upgraded late last night.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I upgraded late last night.

Settings -> Music -> "Sync Library", toggle if already on, leave device on charger?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Lightningproof posted:

Hey, maybe this is a dumb question, but as someone who lives in the UK but is currently locked down in Spain, will there be any difference between an iPhone picked up here vs one I get in the UK? Very much need a new phone at this point and am gonna jump from Android to iOS, but don't want to be hampered by slower updates or unavailable features or whatever. Thanks.

I think you should be okay. The physical model #s are definitely the same
(https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201296)
Apple is good at pushing updates to all devices.

Even my U.S. phone lets me select a lot of languages and countries.

Edit: if you buy in person ask them too and do your research via Google too but it isn't like Samsung where they use different processors for different regions.

Kia Soul Enthusias fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 7, 2020