Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

dangling pointer posted:

How do you guys wash your microfiber towels? Warm water and tide?

The only thing I'll add that I personally like to do when I wash a big batch of towels is turn on the extra rinse setting on the washer. I figure it helps rinse out all the various chemicals the towels have soaked up before we throw in a load of laundry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

That's a good idea because I've been doing a full "quick wash" cycle after I wash my towels because the wash smells a bit like car cleaning chemicals, but that's pretty wasteful.

I also purchased some of the microfiber detergent, but I can't say I notice a difference between using it versus regular detergent.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

I've been washing mine with regular detergent and a cup of white vinegar (or sometimes just vinegar). Seems to work pretty well.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

The only special thing when washing towels I actually do is soak themin dawn and hand wash em before they go in the washing machine if I used them for anything wax related.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Can someone recommend me a (preferably cordless) vacuum for the car that doesn't suck rear end?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Chinatown posted:

Can someone recommend me a (preferably cordless) vacuum for the car that doesn't suck rear end?

I can not because I do not own a cordless, but for cheapness to usefulness combo the “hyper tough” wet/dry mini vac at Walmart for about $25 along with a $10-15 accessory set from eBay has been insanely useful for the money getting into nooks and crannies and even doing some extraction from carpets.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Chinatown posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhCxYcSjNg8

Here are some alternatives if you want to spend a bit more.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Chinatown posted:

Check out the Milwaukee battery powered vacuum/blower. Saw it in use a few weeks ago and was really impressed.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
That Milwaukee handheld might be the jam. I'm also gonna use it around my apartment. Tired of dragging out my Shark floor vac for small jobs in the kitchen and stuff.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I have a nice Dyson but it was expensive and if you use it on high power it's only good for one car

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I just bought a car, I live in NYC, and park on the street.

The last time I owned a car nearly 10 years ago, I had a driveway/etc. and would wash and wax it myself. No longer an option.

What's the best thing I can do to protect the paint/exterior of the car? I can probably find a place to wash it by hand and wax it/etc., but it's not going to happen often. Probably won't be able to plug in a polisher or anything either. I'd be willing to pay someone to do something to it properly, I just don't know what to look for.

The BASIC plan, pending any ideas, is to find a decent automatic/touchless wash and run it through when I can, and use some spray wax, just to do SOMETHING. Not ideal, I know, hence the question.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Chinatown posted:

That Milwaukee handheld might be the jam. I'm also gonna use it around my apartment. Tired of dragging out my Shark floor vac for small jobs in the kitchen and stuff.
Don't get the M12, you want the M18.

edit: Looks like that's what the video said, sorry! The big rectangular one is the one I have and use, for what that's worth.

I have both, and I exclusively use the M12 to vacuum up bugs at this point because that's about the extent of what it can handle. The M18 is a very good vacuum.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 9, 2020

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I can usually deal with spots or stains with what I have on hand, but one of my campers was smoked in. If a spot opens on my driveway I think I’m goi g to tackle the carpeted walls and bunk area pop top ceiling. No spots but it was smoked in so it’s dingy (no smell), but taking a light fixture down it’s obvious it used to be bright off white versus dingy white.

I ha e this carpet cleaning machine bc it was on clearance at Walmart for like $25 (I have never opened it I have hardwood floors in my house)

SpotBot Pet handsfree Spot and Stain Cleaner with Deep Reach Technology 33N8 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003Y3AA2S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_dhoGFbJ7CFRK8

How would y’all tackle a large carpeted wall and above your head area? I have a small steam machine (kettle size) and of course have wet dry vacs and such.

umbrage
Sep 5, 2007

beast mode

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

The last time I owned a car nearly 10 years ago, I had a driveway/etc. and would wash and wax it myself. No longer an option.

What's the best thing I can do to protect the paint/exterior of the car? I can probably find a place to wash it by hand and wax it/etc., but it's not going to happen often. Probably won't be able to plug in a polisher or anything either. I'd be willing to pay someone to do something to it properly, I just don't know what to look for.

The BASIC plan, pending any ideas, is to find a decent automatic/touchless wash and run it through when I can, and use some spray wax, just to do SOMETHING. Not ideal, I know, hence the question.

The best way to protect it would be to sell it. I had a white Volvo XC90 that had a garage spot for a while, but once I started parking on the street I just loving gave up. The car would be filthy within two days of washing it, no matter the weather or season. The best you can do is just mix up a giant bottle of Optimum No Rinse at the quick detailer dilution (6:1? 8:1?), get a poo poo-ton of microfiber towels, and give it a sponge bath.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Could always get a clear complete vinyl wrap. It will still get dirty but at least it won't get damaged.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

I'd do something simple but good like going to a DIY wash and use something like Turtle Ceramic Shampoo and dry it with their ceramic stuff. Simple, cheap-ish and effective.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm cleaning up the garage and I have a box of compounds and polishes that are probably coming up on being 7 years old at this point. The label on the polishes say that they're good for 2 years... and if it was like year 3 or 4, I could see just shaking them up real good and calling it done... but it's been almost 7.

I should just toss these, right?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Phone posted:

I'm cleaning up the garage and I have a box of compounds and polishes that are probably coming up on being 7 years old at this point. The label on the polishes say that they're good for 2 years... and if it was like year 3 or 4, I could see just shaking them up real good and calling it done... but it's been almost 7.

Yep.

Scott808
Jul 11, 2001

Phone posted:

I have some Menzerna stuff that's old as hell and it still works. I had Optimum polish that completely separated and was obviously bad. I think if it's still the proper consistency then test it and see.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Is Optimum No Rinse still considered the best waterless car wash? I’ve been using it for 7 years, wasn’t sure if something better came along. I’m almost out of my gallon jug of it so I need to reorder.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Seconding get the car PPFd if its valuable enough to make sense. You can just let it get rained on and itll clean itself.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Any advice for removing a strong smell from a used car? It’s patchouli...

Going to try a can of ozium first off.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

willroc7 posted:

Congrats on your new Volvo 240 wagon.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

willroc7 posted:

Clean the source and then use an Ozone machine or similar to get rid of the residual smell.

VVVV:
I ceramic coated my car that is parked outside 24/7. After a super busy couple of months it got it's first wash in like 6 weeks. Applied some more Carpro Reload to top it up. I'm happy I did it, but to be honest I'd save myself much more effort If I'd just go with a simpler system like the new Turtle stuff for a car that lives outside. In fact, since my order of more Reload got lost, I might just switch systems.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Oct 12, 2020

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Thanks for the advice. The car is only a Mazda3, but it’s in like new shape and I want to do my best at keeping it looking good. I’m in Queens, and there’s some good options for washing it by hand. Street parking in my neighborhood isn’t quite the thunderdome event it can be in Manhattan.

Probably won’t do the vinyl wrap, not sure that’s really cost effective, but some of these fancy new soaps seem like a good idea.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Speaking of paint protection film, I am keen to get it as there's a decent amount of rockfall on the mountain roads here and it would be a shame to get avoidable dings.

The thing is... is it normal to take the doors off the car to do it? The detailing place the dealer recommended has sent photos and I am not sure I want my new car to get taken to bits.

They do clearly work on high end cars so I feel it "should" be OK, but I can't say I'm that comfortable with this. On the other hand if they need to do this to do a really good job then so be it I guess, so long as its put back together perfectly.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Seems unusual to me on a non-exotic, and even for a real high end car I could only see it for a colored wrap that is more prone to needing edges well hidden. Call the shop and ask why that cars apart. Could be totally unrelated.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

It's definitely for a wrap.(edit sorry I meant PPF.)

quote:

This one is for a full PPF. We disassembly part in order to wrap underneath

I ask if they are reassembled perfectly

quote:

Yes, we are in partnership with Porsche GVA and Lausanne

About the Mclaren Senna

quote:

This one is full PPF also. I have professional people (they are coming on Saturday most of the time) to disassembly parts if needed. We cannot play with such cars, most of them are brand new !

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 12, 2020

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
Disassembly for full PPF/Wrap jobs is pretty common, the extent they go to is extremely variable. Most places will do stuff like remove headlights/taillights, door handles and side mirrors etc. Removal of the doors is so they can fully wrap the door sill and jambs I'd imagine. Sounds like you're going to a very, very high end place for the work.

Completely understand you feeling uncomfortable with them tearing your car to bits brand new off the lot, but they very likely will put it back together just as good as the factory, if not better.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

100% Dundee posted:

Disassembly for full PPF/Wrap jobs is pretty common, the extent they go to is extremely variable. Most places will do stuff like remove headlights/taillights, door handles and side mirrors etc. Removal of the doors is so they can fully wrap the door sill and jambs I'd imagine. Sounds like you're going to a very, very high end place for the work.

Completely understand you feeling uncomfortable with them tearing your car to bits brand new off the lot, but they very likely will put it back together just as good as the factory, if not better.

Awesome thanks. That is somewhat reassuring, we'll go and see their workshop tomorrow.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I'm pulling some of the clear bra off my wife's car, what's the best way to remove the residue? googling it I see a lot of people say gasoline but that seems terrible

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
WD40 is pretty good for stuff like that, then just something mild to remove any silliness that leaves.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
I spent some time researching paint protection films and was surprised to read about a non-trivial number of people doing ceramic coatings (in some cases, the professionally applied $1,000-2,000 kind) on top of PPF. The idea is that you get a little extra shininess and protection, but it just seems like total overkill to me. Do you all recommend it?

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

The expensive part of a ceramic coat is the polishing, which doesn't line up with doing PPF. There's not much downside to doing a ceramic coat on PPF, but doing one of the DIY ones makes sense since you just have to get it clean first.

I polished my car & applied Optimum Gloss-Coat to it a while ago- I have no idea how it's holding up, since the car is garaged and I wash it with Beadmaker as a drying aid when it gets dirty. I'm not really sure how useful the ceramic coat is with the use of a protectant or spray wax along with frequent washes.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

As mentioned, the main part of the price is the labor in getting the paint perfect which is something you want to do if you are going PPF or ceramic since you don't want to have to touch the paint under it afterwards because it involves removing something.

So, a PPF job may cost $2000 depending on coverage and doing ceramic with it may cost $2300.

Also, most people aren't doing PPF on the whole car. I did front bumper, whole hood, half fenders and mirrors. So, the whole package was to do the correction, apply PPF on the relevant areas, and then do ceramic over the whole thing to give a uniform appearance same ease of care.

They are really solving different problems. Yeah, some people like to sell ceramic as abrasion protection, but at at most provides extra scratch protection when washing. Ceramic is an appearance thing, ease of care, and to protect against chemical degradation.

PPF protects against scratches and minor impacts, but it neither eases care nor enhances appearance. Also, while PPF has self healing, its still better to protect it against chemical degradation and staining if you can.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 21, 2020

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
turns out Stoner Tarminator did the trick but I still had to scrape with my fingernail like crazy to get it off

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

BraveUlysses posted:

turns out Stoner Tarminator did the trick but I still had to scrape with my fingernail like crazy to get it off

Tarminator's legit.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I want my whole car to consistently smell like Sprayway glass cleaner. That stuff is amazing, dad got me using it, but the scent alone will get me cleaning glass more often.

Anyhoo: Is there any known good approach for taking care of ventilated seats? I don't want any product going into them and they've been treated with cilajet but I want to be sure all those little holes stay clean. Some areas are visibly white inside the hole and I can't tell if that's wear or just contour revealing some.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I went through 6 large cans of spray way wiping things down while painting my truck. I don't hate it but.... I'm kinda over it.

Invisible glass is my favorite anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I put a coat of wax on my car for the first time in probably 10 years, and have two questions.

I got some on the "coarse" plastic at the base of the side view mirrors, and it didn't really buff off like on the smoother plastic parts. I tried with a plastic bristled brush, and a dish sponge with the plastic scouring part. Neither worked. Any suggestions?

I had the door open to get a bit closer to the roof and spilled some wax on the back seat. Just a little bit. Should I just let it dry up and flake it off with a brush/fingat nail etc?

Its a Carnuba type wax if that makes a difference.

This stuff:
https://bloomco.ca/products/banana-creme-wax?_pos=1&_sid=a67f40434&_ss=r