Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

He's the love-matic Burnsey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I know just enough about Dune to know that the thing in that tank is a person, but I don't know how or why he ended up looking like that. I assume magic was involved.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I know just enough about Dune to know that the thing in that tank is a person, but I don't know how or why he ended up looking like that. I assume magic was involved.

it's space drugs

it's always space drugs

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Isn't it a navigator? (I know nothing about Dune)

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

War Wizard posted:

Isn't it a navigator? (I know nothing about Dune)

yes

Excelzior posted:

it's space drugs

it's always space drugs

yes

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

david lynch was involved and he did his stupid david lynch poo poo all over frank herbert's opus

the guild navigators are mutated from space drugs but they're still human. they have smoothed out features and webbed fingers and probably look kind of like abe sapien. the big larva thing is just david lynch being a gross weirdo

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It is.

You know how people do so much cocaine they permanently damage their nose and it like starts to rot off? Imagine that, but the cocaine is also super mushrooms and it rots your entire body so you decide to just live in it.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Ghostlight posted:

It is.

You know how people do so much cocaine they permanently damage their nose and it like starts to rot off? Imagine that, but the cocaine is also super mushrooms and it rots your entire body so you decide to just live in it.

is this about the tank thing or David Lynch

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The super mushrooms are also space oil, like petroleum. Not space olive oil or something.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

well they also are space olive oil in that melange is used as a seasoning in food. maybe space sesame oil

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I haven't read Dune in like fifteen years but I think interstellar travel is literally only possible if the pilot is high on this specific superdrug and I have no idea why

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

loquacius posted:

I haven't read Dune in like fifteen years but I think interstellar travel is literally only possible if the pilot is high on this specific superdrug and I have no idea why

it's so they can see into the future and thus avoid hitting asteroids and poo poo

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Lone Goat posted:

is this about the tank thing or David Lynch
yes

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Makeout Patrol posted:

it's so they can see into the future and thus avoid hitting asteroids and poo poo

Perfect flawless system, especially considering the only source of the drug is giant monster worms in the wild deserts of a single colonized planet with a vibrant independent local culture; don't think I could ever even imagine it being exploited and overturned by a single charismatic mystic messiah figure played by the mayor from Portlandia

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

This one is a deep cut, solid stuff
http://www.jacurutu.com/viewtopic.php?t=655

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

It’s clearly dignity.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

loquacius posted:

Perfect flawless system, especially considering the only source of the drug is giant monster worms in the wild deserts of a single colonized planet with a vibrant independent local culture; don't think I could ever even imagine it being exploited and overturned by a single charismatic mystic messiah figure played by the mayor from Portlandia

Perhaps the same can be said of all capitalism

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
I was firmly in the Hamilton posting is the worst camp but Fatboy Slim posting is circling the same drain.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

david lynch was involved and he did his stupid david lynch poo poo all over frank herbert's opus

the guild navigators are mutated from space drugs but they're still human. they have smoothed out features and webbed fingers and probably look kind of like abe sapien. the big larva thing is just david lynch being a gross weirdo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3l_QpZjfm8

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Sagebrush posted:

The baby larva thing was an improvement and even whatshisface would have agreed.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Meanwhile we can only extrapolate what Jodorowsky's Dune would've been like through the documentary & reading Incal.

Imagine the combinatory value the Simpsons would bring.

gently caress, now I want some Jodorowsky's Duneposting memes. Or any Jodorowskyposting in general.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

:dudsmile:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

*scattered cheers*

terminal chillness
Oct 16, 2008

This baby is off the charts

loquacius posted:

It's an allegory. Mining the spice in large quantities would destroy the ecosystem and the culture it sustains.

p_e_z_z
Feb 27, 2020

terminal chillness posted:

It's an allegory. Mining the spice in large quantities would destroy the ecosystem and the culture it sustains.
And they could have gotten all they needed from here:

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

p_e_z_z posted:

Lol

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

p_e_z_z posted:

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

A Lomer!? Yarrr, they'll be meming for hours

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

loquacius posted:

They wanted something that mimics our world.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

loving LOL

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

I've never seen Jodorowski's Dune (and this is a lovely image), but this is a quote of his I guess.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Jasus Christ posted:

I've never seen Jodorowski's Dune (and this is a lovely image), but this is a quote of his I guess.

Thank you. I like it. :kimchi:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

loquacius posted:

Computers can do it but they're illegal

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I don't know how to use photoshop or gimp so I did the best I could

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

p_e_z_z posted:

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Who What Now posted:

I don't know how to use photoshop or gimp so I did the best I could

Again, I know very little about dune, but that loving worm dude with the vagina head made me burst out laughing extremely hard.

That, uh, yeah, that doesn't seem like it would be a fun thing to worship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Computers can do it but they're illegal

Yes, computers are dangerous, much safer to simply make the entire existence of the galactic government as a functional entity dependent on an extremely rare and expensive drug that only comes from one planet and then not expend particularly much effort on protecting that planet from intrigue. I dunno, let the main character's dad with a longstanding blood feud against the most evil noble house in existence take care of it, he's extremely resistant to assassination, right? I'm sure nothing can possibly go wrong because I, the President of Dune Galaxy, am very smart

My trusted advisor, Human Computer-Replacement Man With A Very Smart And Completely Unbiased Brain, told me it's a much better plan than just propping up a CentOS box to fly the ship or something, and if you can't trust the guy whose livelihood depends on computers being illegal, who can you trust?