Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It’s being steered by a strong trade wind into the Gulf. It’s moving very fast though, so the question is whether it will have enough time to become a problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/EricBurrisWESH/status/1312860318356381696

Looks like a hurricane strike somewhere in the Central Gulf coast by Fri/Sat

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

https://twitter.com/EricBurrisWESH/status/1312860318356381696

Looks like a hurricane strike somewhere in the Central Gulf coast by Fri/Sat

Oh boy

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

hope we get to tropical cyclone kappa

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

stop centering the cone on nola for every storm this year, scientists.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/MargaretOrr/status/1313318434772574209

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
"right of landfall"

do you mean east

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Gunshow Poophole posted:

"right of landfall"

do you mean east
slow down egghead, not everyone went to weather college

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Its now supposed to get up to cat4 lmfao

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Crunchy Black posted:

Its now supposed to get up to cat4 lmfao
Yes and it's going to zoom right off the NE coast of Mexico while staying mostly offshore

The only good news so far is that this storm is tiny (the eye is only 7 mi wide).

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

Gunshow Poophole posted:

"right of landfall"

do you mean east

right as in 90 degrees clockwise of the storm's motion vector

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUN8XlS8fdI&t=11s

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Didn't Trump deplete the FEMA funds to pay for extra UI because Congress is a shitshow?

Buckle up your butts if this thing hits NO. Gonna make for great content.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It's now a Cat 4

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

UnknownTarget posted:

Didn't Trump deplete the FEMA funds to pay for extra UI because Congress is a shitshow?

Buckle up your butts if this thing hits NO. Gonna make for great content.

Who needs FEMA?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I'm sure this Cat 5 monster storm will weaken by half 6 hours before making landfall in Louisiana like all the projections say.

https://twitter.com/Dave_Nussbaum/status/1313540976456204293

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

I'm sure this Cat 5 monster storm will weaken by half 6 hours before making landfall in Louisiana like all the projections say.

https://twitter.com/Dave_Nussbaum/status/1313540976456204293

The cat 1 marker is inland so its misleading.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Awaiting Hurricane Omega with bated breath

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

Awaiting Hurricane Omega with bated breath

Looking forward to what we get to after running out of greek letters

Hurricane U+130B8

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

it’ll be like Cat 2 at US landfall

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Kazinsal posted:

Looking forward to what we get to after running out of greek letters

Hurricane U+130B8

Our grandchildren's children will speak of the Christmas Day Chonker of '20 in hushed tones with wide eyes

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

El Burbo posted:

We hope.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
omg it's drifting west toward loving Lake Charles

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

El Burbo posted:

you know the categorization system is poo poo

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Stairmaster posted:

you know the categorization system is poo poo

How so?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

omg it's drifting west toward loving Lake Charles
It's reminding me of either 2004 or 2005 where one island in FL got hit by two landfalling hurricanes in about a month

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

What does the Category system measure? Largely wind speed.

What are some of the more deadly parts of a hurricane? Storm surge and rainfall/flooding.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

So you want a new system that measures wind speed and storm surge and flooding all in one number? Or you want to ignore wind speed? Or you're just mad that this storm looks too weak and you want more doom and gloom? You know they forecast wind speed and storm surge and flooding and you can look at all of this info, right?

Saying this will be a Cat 2 storm when it hits Louisiana is useful info. There is lots more useful info too, one does not rule out the other.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Current NHC forecast has Delta making landfall as a Cat 3

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Pryor on Fire posted:

So you want a new system that measures wind speed and storm surge and flooding all in one number? Or you want to ignore wind speed? Or you're just mad that this storm looks too weak and you want more doom and gloom? You know they forecast wind speed and storm surge and flooding and you can look at all of this info, right?

Saying this will be a Cat 2 storm when it hits Louisiana is useful info. There is lots more useful info too, one does not rule out the other.

i mean you could have two numbers like blood pressure not that difficult

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

Flooding is usually a function of storm size and speed, big wet slow storms flood more. Storm surge is a function of wind speed and the angle the storm hits at, the Northeast/eastern section of the storm being more dangerous as it rotates into large bodies of water near land.

As already noted this storm is tiny, moving fast and hitting at 90 degrees, so this is looking way less dangerous in both flooding and surge for Louisiana than your typical Cat 2.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I think the models have it growing in size before it makes a US landfall. It's still kind of disorganized despite having a very strong core.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

HelloSailorSign posted:

What does the Category system measure? Largely wind speed.

What are some of the more deadly parts of a hurricane? Storm surge and rainfall/flooding.

rainfall associated with any given storm varies quite a bit depending on where you are, it's extremely local

and while it's not 1:1 or anything, storm surge is associated with wind speeds

sure the saffir–simpson hurricane wind scale is a simplified thing, that's kinda the point. that, and how it's concerned with wind speed because that's the most deadly thing about hurricanes. we care about wind because you need to know whether your shelter is adequate in the short term, and what sort of infrastructure damage to expect in the longer term. having a simple number for that communicates this easily to people

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
also there are a shitload of people in louisiana, even in new orleans, who won't evacuate for anything under cat 3

that's dumb as hell, but they're not gonna be swayed by more nuanced storm categorization system

really i'm more concerned with the storm naming system, apparently there are a ton of people who don't take storms with female names as seriously

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
soon we’re going to see if people take branded sponsorship names more or less seriously than feminine names

hurricane Mountain Dew projected to smash some thirst near you

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

really i'm more concerned with the storm naming system, apparently there are a ton of people who don't take storms with female names as seriously

Self-solving problem imho

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

SKULL.GIF posted:

Self-solving problem imho

lol good point

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Except for Hurricane Karen. Whoa, buddy, you better look out.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

I don’t want to have to wait til 2023 for hurricane Don

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/NWSNewOrleans/status/1313596051362910208