Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poe
Jul 22, 2007

The Kingfish posted:

I’m not losing out on the ~experience~ by using the quick save feature? Starting back at the castle on each death really sucks.

Not really, unless you want the shittier parts of the ~experience~. There's a reason they don't make 'em like they used to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I just discovered an entire early game area that I missed before which might explain why the game felt a bit grindier than expected.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

DQ1-3 kind of follow the same grind formula with DQ1 being the most obvious. Other two aren't as blatant but it's there. Explore as far as you can, retreat back to town, buy stuff, explore more. Eventually you get tough enough to push to the next town and begin the process anew. Each town has info to help figure out what you're supposed to do.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

DQ2's second half is unbalanced as hell so I had no shame in quick saving through the final dungeon.

Sloth Socks
May 13, 2005

dangling is the finest of all the arts in all the worlds

Lipstick Apathy
I'm a good chunk into DQIV on the NDS - starting to gather the Zenithian armor, just got the shoes I think? - and I'm wondering how much longer I have to go. I'm having a fine enough time, but I feel like I'm missing some of the character joy I got out of DQXI in terms of party chat (which is absent from the NDS version) and flavor.

Do ya'll have an idea of how much longer DQIV is, and if it's worth it to see it through? DQV is knocking on my door, and uh, people say it's real darn good.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Not sure if you're aware but the mobile port of DQ4 has party chat intact.

I don't think there were Zenithian shoes/boots?!? If you're just starting rounding up that gear, you have a ways to go yet. Plus a post-game bonus dungeon and secret superboss that you will likely need to do extensive grinding in order to get all the items associated with it.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
So after 100 hours I finally reached the credits of DQXI - I'm feeling my way through the postgame at the moment and kind of having a tough time getting a feel for what content to approach first. Some of it seems pretty manageable while some feels insurmountable without some grinding. Also there is a metric shitton of new content in every town I visit lol. Is there a recommended overview of where to start, what things to pick off first? Should I be doing sidequests or should I head straight to Calasmos before I worry about them?

I'm enjoying the freeform exploration aspect of it but would rather avoid banging my head against any brick walls. My party's about lv. 56-57

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Deified Data posted:

So after 100 hours I finally reached the credits of DQXI - I'm feeling my way through the postgame at the moment and kind of having a tough time getting a feel for what content to approach first. Some of it seems pretty manageable while some feels insurmountable without some grinding. Also there is a metric shitton of new content in every town I visit lol. Is there a recommended overview of where to start, what things to pick off first? Should I be doing sidequests or should I head straight to Calasmos before I worry about them?

I'm enjoying the freeform exploration aspect of it but would rather avoid banging my head against any brick walls. My party's about lv. 56-57

What I've been doing is to do the main quest more or less until you get the oh Time to fight the final boss message and then do the side quests. I also did some of the side quests while in the general area. Some of them are pretty doable at your levels so you may as well give them a go.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Deified Data posted:

Well, you're going to have to pick something eventually. Go ahead and try fighting the boss if you can't decide. If it goes well hey, game's over you did it. If not, go to Nautica, the Queen'll give you an item that'll let you know what places have sidequest bosses to fight.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Deified Data posted:

That's not postgame that's just more game. If you're on Switch the postgame is some garbage out in tockington. I'm not sure if there's anything after act 3 on the original version

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
The English translation patch of the DQM remake (Terry's Wonderland) is pretty solid, I'm having a good time even if there are some typos that a literal spellcheck would have caught. DQM1 was a big game for me as a kid and it's just the same thing but with the Joker-era better breeding mechanics and random eggs.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ep 2 of the anime was good, had some really good fight scenes. Looks like they basically rendered and animated the characters in an actual game engine for parts of it.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Playing through the switch port of 1 and I haven't played it since Dragon Warrior on the NES 20 years ago. I forgot where everything is, I'm having a good time figuring everything out again.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Assuming the Switch port is based on the remake (what you get if you play DQ1 on SFC, GBC, mobile, etc.), the Mountain Cave dungeon is entirely new compared to NES.

I guess getting to the end is pretty easy if you take notes on NPC dialog, but I have no idea because my NES copy came with a full strategy guide and maps for everything. Part of the allure of the game was skipping ahead in the guide and/or looking at a place on the map and thinking "hey I want to do this".

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Ofecks posted:

Assuming the Switch port is based on the remake (what you get if you play DQ1 on SFC, GBC, mobile, etc.), the Mountain Cave dungeon is entirely new compared to NES.

I guess getting to the end is pretty easy if you take notes on NPC dialog, but I have no idea because my NES copy came with a full strategy guide and maps for everything. Part of the allure of the game was skipping ahead in the guide and/or looking at a place on the map and thinking "hey I want to do this".

I've played them both, and I liked the mountain cave change. One can actually find the second-best shield in the game in there, and it's basically the only time in the whole game where the player can find a shop-sold item that is actually useful. Everything else found in chests is either starter gear found *way* too late or unpurchasable top-end gear such as the magic armour and the sword of Erdrick.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

JustJeff88 posted:

I've played them both, and I liked the mountain cave change. One can actually find the second-best shield in the game in there, and it's basically the only time in the whole game where the player can find a shop-sold item that is actually useful. Everything else found in chests is either starter gear found *way* too late or unpurchasable top-end gear such as the magic armour and the sword of Erdrick.

You can actually buy the armor in the town I'm at but it's 7700 gold and the monsters give out 60 at best

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Senator Drinksalot posted:

You can actually buy the armor in the town I'm at but it's 7700 gold and the monsters give out 60 at best

Oops on my part. That armour is bought only and it's the second-best armour after the Armour of Erdrick, which is found in the burned-out town. The magic armour heals one hit point every three steps and has slightly lower armour value than the AoE, which heals 1 hp every step.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Terry's Wonderland report: translation quality hit a really noticeable hiccup right at the start of the postgame (after Starry Night I mean) - hopefully it's not a trend cause I haven't played further yet but we're talking multiple typos per line in the cutscene immediately after the credits.

hopefully it gets better cause it's still fun :3:

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Never played a Monsters game, is it more like Pokemon or SMT?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Never played a Monsters game, is it more like Pokemon or SMT?

Closer to SMT bc there's breeding (fusing) and skill inheritance.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Forgot how short 1 is, already beaten it in 3 sittings. Well worth the 5 bux tho.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

One major difference Monsters has to SMT and Pokemon is that skill learning is stat based. So even if a monster is able to learn a skill set through its parents, it won't be able to if it never reaches the required stats.

I don't know if that holds true for the Joker games though.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Monster base stats and growth are also affected by parent stats and the new monster’s + total. I think their level cap is affected by the + as well but it’s never an issue unless you never fuse stuff.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

AngryRobotsInc posted:

One major difference Monsters has to SMT and Pokemon is that skill learning is stat based. So even if a monster is able to learn a skill set through its parents, it won't be able to if it never reaches the required stats.

I don't know if that holds true for the Joker games though.

That's definitely not how it is in the Joker series. There, all you need is enough skill points to get whatever skills you want.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

serefin99 posted:

That's definitely not how it is in the Joker series. There, all you need is enough skill points to get whatever skills you want.
Yeah, that was only in DQM 1/2 (that and the infinite randomly-generated key system in 2 is the reason I think that game is actually better than the Joker games)

translation mostly got better, although they clearly had a different human being doing some cutscenes near the end too because wow, the typos are back and they also just, kinda put, commas, wherever they want....... and every sentence ends with, two or more ellipses......

but beyond that it's ok, no gamebreaking issues or anything, now I'm on the hellgrind to breed some fun mons and try some wifi again crazy Japanese nerds then I'll quit forever

edit: if anyone happens to recall a good mon for scouting from Joker 1/2, I'm all ears for tips, cause my current team has like 900 atk each and an Oomphle caster and a Kasap caster and a single dude with the awful Great Talent Scout perk (from a buyable book, not the good one that you have to get on a native mon) and it's really hard to scout stuff. Should I just lean into psyche up to 100 tension? I know that everything in 3 is basically the same as 2 except for some skill nerfs that don't matter to this question.

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 17, 2020

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

100% you just wanna psyche up to max tension.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

serefin99 posted:

In joker you have to max a skill group to unlock the higher version and a few high tier skill groups require specific intermediate or advance skill groups maxed to unlock. So there’s some work if you do t have the right skill groups yet on a target mon.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Evil Fluffy posted:

In joker you have to max a skill group to unlock the higher version and a few high tier skill groups require specific intermediate or advance skill groups maxed to unlock. So there’s some work if you do t have the right skill groups yet on a target mon.

Its at this moment I realize I have no loving clue how to properly play the Joker games.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

BrightWing posted:

Its at this moment I realize I have no loving clue how to properly play the Joker games.

Don't worry, neither do I. They're still fun though.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

BrightWing posted:

Depending on how you interpret properly, the right answer is either "all in on one giant monster" (the speedrun strat, typically it's something you either get as a boss that joins early or something very easy to breed) to steamroll the plot or "just pick cool lookin' ones" starting from minute one

right now I'm rocking a samurai cat and an evil wizard dog (hell yeah you can get both Goresdy-Purrvis and Leopold, hell yeah I'm gonna use them cause any SS+ rank mon is basically equivalent in terms of stomping in-game stuff)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

BrightWing posted:

Your skill points are cut in half when you breed a new monster so it kinda goes like this:

* Monster A has Bang, Monster B has Frizz. Monsters C and D have whatever, and 100 unspent points
* You level both until you have the points to max Bang on A and Frizz on B, then breed A with C and B with D. This Gives you A2 and B2
* When selecting A2's monster from the possible results list you'll have Bang+ in their selectable skill groups due to having maxxed out Bang.
* B2 will have Frizz+ due to maxing Frizz. The + groups have stronger spells.
* If you max out Bang+ on A2 and Frizz+ on B2, then breed those two together, their result monster will have the option to select the Frizz & Bang combo skill group.

There are also a couple of high tier skill combo groups that take 3 maxed skill grouped to unlock. I think the best Breath attack group in Joker 3 took something like Fire & Ice Breath+, then two other breath group SPs (++, I think). Usually you don't go crazy on this stuff until the end/postgame (or an emulator with frameskip).

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Your skill points are cut in half when you breed a new monster so it kinda goes like this:

* Monster A has Bang, Monster B has Frizz. Monsters C and D have whatever, and 100 unspent points
* You level both until you have the points to max Bang on A and Frizz on B, then breed A with C and B with D. This Gives you A2 and B2
* When selecting A2's monster from the possible results list you'll have Bang+ in their selectable skill groups due to having maxxed out Bang.
* B2 will have Frizz+ due to maxing Frizz. The + groups have stronger spells.
* If you max out Bang+ on A2 and Frizz+ on B2, then breed those two together, their result monster will have the option to select the Frizz & Bang combo skill group.

There are also a couple of high tier skill combo groups that take 3 maxed skill grouped to unlock. I think the best Breath attack group in Joker 3 took something like Fire & Ice Breath+, then two other breath group SPs (++, I think). Usually you don't go crazy on this stuff until the end/postgame (or an emulator with frameskip).

I did catch the trick about half skill points being inherited but that's about as far as I got in the above process. Kiiiinda tempted to dig out my Joker 2 cart and see where I left off. I know I beat the main stort and then got immediately destroyed by the post credits fight iirc.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
The other trick - and I don't know when this was introduced, I just know it's in the remake I'm playing and existed sooner but [e: looks like this wasn't even in Joker 2, so never mind if you're playing on a real English cart of literally anything, sorry!] - is that breeding two monsters and having at least three uninherited skills left over (so like, if they have 3 distinct ones each, you pick 3, and that's 3 left over) produces another monster for free (a Tome if 3 skills, a Grimoire if 4, a Lexicon if 5) that gets to inherit those skills and also is counted as having the same parents and pluses as the actual offspring.

So it's an infinite source of +99 rank A Lexicons for fodder, it lets you infinitely reuse the prerequisite skills that combine into the skill you actually want, and also if you have to make something with grandparent requirements like Metal King Slime via 4 Liquid Metal Slimes you can do it with two by making them bang, and produce a book when they bang, then making the baby bang the book.

Also, unrelated, but funny to me, but the recipe for Leopold had me cracking up, it's (DQ8 spoilers) Dhoulmagus plus a random dog monster

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Oct 18, 2020

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

The other trick - and I don't know when this was introduced, I just know it's in the remake I'm playing and existed sooner but [e: looks like this wasn't even in Joker 2, so never mind if you're playing on a real English cart of literally anything, sorry!] - is that breeding two monsters and having at least three uninherited skills left over (so like, if they have 3 distinct ones each, you pick 3, and that's 3 left over) produces another monster for free (a Tome if 3 skills, a Grimoire if 4, a Lexicon if 5) that gets to inherit those skills and also is counted as having the same parents and pluses as the actual offspring.

So it's an infinite source of +99 rank A Lexicons for fodder, it lets you infinitely reuse the prerequisite skills that combine into the skill you actually want, and also if you have to make something with grandparent requirements like Metal King Slime via 4 Liquid Metal Slimes you can do it with two by making them bang, and produce a book when they bang, then making the baby bang the book.

I don't ever remember seeing this in Joker 3. It sounds like it's probably just a Terry's Wonderland mechanic?

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Holy gently caress. Are the books any good on their own? If so, that sounds like it could be even more exploitable than it already does.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Square needs to give an update about the new DQM I development. It’s be nice to see it next year but I worry it’s 2022 or later.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

serefin99 posted:

Holy gently caress. Are the books any good on their own? If so, that sounds like it could be even more exploitable than it already does.
The speedrun strat uses a big book, but I don't think they're actually good relative to other monsters of that level - just that the Lexicon is Rank A so like it's the same level as the third tier of Mimic (Trap Box) and so on.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Plot question for DQXI Act 3 - I'll spoiler it just in case but it pertains to Michelle the mermaid

She dies in Act 1, yet in Act 3 when you go back in time to the very end of Act 1/beginning of Act 2, she's alive and seemingly fine on the Strand despite traveling in time to a point when she should have been dead already. Did I miss something or is this just a plothole?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Deified Data posted:

Plot question for DQXI Act 3 - I'll spoiler it just in case but it pertains to Michelle the mermaid

She dies in Act 1, yet in Act 3 when you go back in time to the very end of Act 1/beginning of Act 2, she's alive and seemingly fine on the Strand despite traveling in time to a point when she should have been dead already. Did I miss something or is this just a plothole?

I think one resolution to the plot is you can lie to her and say the guy is still coming and then she doesn't kill herself, and Act 3 just assumes you did that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I think one resolution to the plot is you can lie to her and say the guy is still coming and then she doesn't kill herself, and Act 3 just assumes you did that

Ah, I didn't even know that choice had multiple outcomes