Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

FuturePastNow posted:

Please switch to LGA, AMD

I mean, they have with the TR4 and SP3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
bent CPU pins are more repairable than bent socket pins

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?

gradenko_2000 posted:

2:35 RIP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlL0nTYAvD0

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

Any tips on actually repairing am4 bent pins? The rows are too tight for for a credit card or business card and thats about where I gave up before doing any more damage.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

Any tips on actually repairing am4 bent pins? The rows are too tight for for a credit card or business card and thats about where I gave up before doing any more damage.

Go buy a Dental pick kit from Wal Mart and use that.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

hobbesmaster posted:

I haven't had an AM4 with this, but a screwdriver from an glasses repair kit is what I used for an AM2 a decade ago. should be nice and thin. You may need a bright light to see what you are doing which isn't fun since it basically turns into a sea of pins reflecting the light directly into your eyeballs.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

hobbesmaster posted:

I bought a pack of razors at the drug store and used one of those. You can slip the whole razor (wrap the other end in something so you don't cut yourself) between a row of pins and gently rock it back and forth.

If it's bent in two directions then you have to do the "row" and then the "column"

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

gradenko_2000 posted:

bending a CPU pin is an easy accident for even a careful person to make. I don't know what kind of ape manages to bend the LGA pins.

when AM4 came out I didn't think it was a big deal, but the number of people who have ripped ryzens out of the socket while removing a heatsink has made me reconsider. apparently since the last time I'd been using pinned CPUs, the thermal paste formulas all turned into glue.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Klyith posted:

bending a CPU pin is an easy accident for even a careful person to make. I don't know what kind of ape manages to bend the LGA pins.

when AM4 came out I didn't think it was a big deal, but the number of people who have ripped ryzens out of the socket while removing a heatsink has made me reconsider. apparently since the last time I'd been using pinned CPUs, the thermal paste formulas all turned into glue.

the best part is when doing it because you're RMA'ing a motherboard.

I was nervous about using the exacto knife I had, I think that dental pick set is exactly what is needed!

ufarn
May 30, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

Boxcutter and a small flat screwdrivers like iFixit's. Fixing bent pins generally involves doing two things:

- Wiggling them sort of into place with gentle nudging
- Aligning them perfectly to fit the socket so you don't bend them all over again

Use the flat iFixit screwdriver for the first part and something like a boxcutter for the second (because the distance is so narrow you basically have to use some kind of blade at this point, which also means older tutorials don't apply). I think I just put the flat screwdriver in a decently aligned position and rotated it slightly in my hand. Regular printer paper should also work to put between pins if it helps your alignment, focus, etc. You also want some pretty solid eye sight, although I can't help you with that. A magnifying glass is great, but I guess you could also try some phone setup where you're zoomed in. At least still photos to give you an idea.

There's always a chance they break, and it also depends on how badly they're bent, but just focus on not moving it more around the vertical axis than you need to get it into position.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Oct 6, 2020

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Klyith posted:

I was thinking about how the noctua heatsinks have those spring loaded screws. There is a lot more coiled up force in those screws than an inexperienced person would expect. If you don't apply constant pressure to the heatsink as you are removing it it will jump up the moment you unscrew and you risk potentially ripping out the CPU from the socket just with that by itself. Basically gotta hold the drat thing down till both sides are undone and then do the gentle twist and remove motion. Lots of room for accidents because of how strong those springs are.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Yeah I wasn't thinking recently and went to redo my thermal paste as I bathed it in the stuff when upgrading a month back at the time. Did a slight twist and the fucker popped and ripped the cpu out. Luckily no damage and the only issue was all the thermal pasted getting on the underside of the CPU. This was with a Noctua cooler

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

I don't know if it's purely anecdotal, but I found the paste to be softer when I run the CPU hot before removing it. This isn't much of an option with a dead CPU or motherboard though, and I don't know if it's purely a function of age and formula.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Vir posted:

I don't know if it's purely anecdotal, but I found the paste to be softer when I run the CPU hot before removing it. This isn't much of an option with a dead CPU or motherboard though, and I don't know if it's purely a function of age and formula.

Not anecdotal and is actually something AMD recommends IIRC.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
obviously the solution is to use graphite pads instead of thermal paste

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

gradenko_2000 posted:

I bought a pack of razors at the drug store and used one of those. You can slip the whole razor (wrap the other end in something so you don't cut yourself) between a row of pins and gently rock it back and forth.

If it's bent in two directions then you have to do the "row" and then the "column"

I've always done this exact procedure, but with my pocket knife blade. And squinting real hard. I'm convinced the squinting helps.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

mdxi posted:

I've always done this exact procedure, but with my pocket knife blade. And squinting real hard. I'm convinced the squinting helps.

Squinting lowers the aperture of your eye. it lets in less light, but causes it to be more aligned and thus more focused.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I've fixed AM2 pins with little tweezers before. AM4 is almost 50% more pins, though.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 23, 2021

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

FuturePastNow posted:

I've fixed AM2 pins with little tweezers before. AM4 is almost 50% more pins, though.

Yeah, 13 years ago, I was fixing CPUs with a credit card. Though nothing could save when someone would just place the CPU over the socket and then smash the heatsink on.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, 13 years ago, I was fixing CPUs with a credit card. Though nothing could save when someone would just place the CPU over the socket and then smash the heatsink on.

As someone who worked returns at Fry’s Electronics in the mid-aughts. I saw this a lot more than I’d care to admit.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, 13 years ago, I was fixing CPUs with a credit card.

I did this waaay back in the day with a socket 754 athlon64 (i think). I put a credit card up next to the ryzen 5 and though "wow i didn't remember credit cards being so thick"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I accidentally ripped a socket 939 CPU out of the locked socket a couple of times when trying to pull a heatsink off as well. Scared the hell out of me every time, but I got lucky and never killed anything. At least we're not still stuck levering on heatsink retention tabs with flathead screwdrivers!

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I accidentally ripped a socket 939 CPU out of the locked socket a couple of times when trying to pull a heatsink off as well. Scared the hell out of me every time, but I got lucky and never killed anything. At least we're not still stuck levering on heatsink retention tabs with flathead screwdrivers!

I do not miss that Indiana Jones and The Raiders of the Lost Ark idol-swapping nervous energy while slowly, carefully depressing the heatsink clip into place with a flathead screwdriver that has zero frictional grip on the steel clip and what felt like hundreds of pounds of downward force required. The slightest deflection of the screwdriver to either side and now your motherboard lost some traces or maybe even has an extra "screw hole" now :downsbravo:

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

At least we're not still stuck levering on heatsink retention tabs with flathead screwdrivers!

The real trick to that is getting a nut driver that you use to tighten board standoffs, and using that over the little tab to push the clip down, far less risk of slipping off, and if you do, no sharp end scraping off a memory track or something equally horrific

Edit: but yes, I'm glad we don't deal with that any longer

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Release the lever on the socket and then pull off the heat sink. At least that way the CPU will release easily from the socket if it's glued to the heatsink. Then just use a razor to scrape them apart.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Fabulousity posted:

I do not miss that Indiana Jones and The Raiders of the Lost Ark idol-swapping nervous energy while slowly, carefully depressing the heatsink clip into place with a flathead screwdriver that has zero frictional grip on the steel clip and what felt like hundreds of pounds of downward force required. The slightest deflection of the screwdriver to either side and now your motherboard lost some traces or maybe even has an extra "screw hole" now :downsbravo:

Did this to at least 2 different boards over the years when I was building computers to make money in college. Thats also when I discovered that cheaper boards (like the sub-$40 PC Chips KT266A boards I used a fair amount if) would have basically no coating at all over the traces, so the tiniest scratch from ANYTHING would kill them dead. Thankfully Newegg had a great RMA process at the time!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

Razor blades were my preferred method for fixing bent CPU pins.

I rescued a number of P4s and Phenoms that way.

I've yanked CPUs out along with the heatsink before but escaped any damage from it. I also never actually damaged a board getting the retention clips on or off, but I think that's a combination of luck and usually not using any tools to force the drat clip closed.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
what I'd do for retention clips that I can't force by hand is to unscrew them from the backplate entirely, slip the clip through while it's loose, then screw the whole thing back on

same thing for trying to take it off

the lever-tension method is so much better, but that's what you get when you're using cheap DeepCool and Snowman coolers

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Just use a click mechanical pencil with the lead removed to fix bent pins.

Easiest and safest method by far. The little tube that holds the leads fits perfectly over the pins and makes it easy to get between the 'forest' of pins that are standing up.

Syringe needles will work too but make sure they're blunt before poking away at the bottom of the CPU package with one.

I'd much rather be fixing bent CPU pins than LGA socket pins. I've done both before but the LGA pins are way harder and more delicate.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Maybe we should go back to that odd cpu-on-daugherboard period then.

Try to screw that up (intel's slot and AMD's were the same, just reversed in orientation on the board..)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Intel cooler mounting, pins on the CPU, but with a socket bracket to hold down the CPU apart from the cooler when pulling it off seems ideal, but I doubt anyone would do it

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Bring back CPU cartridges IMO :colbert:

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Oct 7, 2020

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

ratbert90 posted:

Bring back CPU cartridges IMO :colbert:

Intel's compute element is sort of a return to the "Slot CPU" days. I'd love a cheaper/better AMD competitor product in that formfactor tbh.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

HalloKitty posted:

Maybe we should go back to that odd cpu-on-daugherboard period then.

Try to screw that up (intel's slot and AMD's were the same, just reversed in orientation on the board..)

Why not bring back the best of both worlds and resurrect the slotket?
:getin:

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

^^^: Maybe on mineral oil cooling or other exotic cooling. Or 20k RPM server fans blasting the CPU.

gradenko_2000 posted:

the lever-tension method is so much better, but that's what you get when you're using cheap DeepCool and Snowman coolers

I once came across a Wraith Prism stock cooler which was only hanging on by one clip, and gravity was the only force holding it to the CPU on the other end. User hadn't complained about performance, and the noise wasn't annoying when using headphones.

Vir fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Oct 7, 2020

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
I'd be totally cool with slot CPU's again.

I think the issues with them were the extra cost + it made it more difficult to do a smaller form factor.

Of course if anyone can figure out how to do a good well protected LGA socket or something to protect the pins of a standard PGA package I bet most would be fine with that too.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

What's the latest on new consumer APU's? Any chance they'll be available this year?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Aquila posted:

What's the latest on new consumer APU's? Any chance they'll be available this year?

no movement on retail/socketed renoir APUs, only available to OEMs at this point as Ryzen Pro

no sign of Cezanne benchmarks yet, Cezanne probably will launch at CES I'm guessing

at this point I would guess desktop Renoir shows up once laptops move to Cezanne, or maaaaaybe gets announced tomorrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

no movement on retail/socketed renoir APUs, only available to OEMs at this point as Ryzen Pro

no sign of Cezanne benchmarks yet, Cezanne probably will launch at CES I'm guessing

at this point I would guess desktop Renoir shows up once laptops move to Cezanne, or maaaaaybe gets announced tomorrow

Awesome, sounds like if nothing crazy gets annnounced tomorrow I can purchase this. I think I'll do that and use it as a streaming dev box until Christmas.

Compared to intel/nvidia and arm/rpi what kind of video encoding support and performance can I expect out of an AMD system running linux?