Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Barry posted:

I know I'm old when the bands I loved in my (relative) youth are starting to pump out greatest hits albums.

I don't know if I'll buy this one (I basically never listen to Greatest Hits albums) but that bonus LP looks pretty great.

It’s all about those rob jones prints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Just remembered that I drunk ordered Deltron 3030 from Newbury a few days ago because of this thread. And while I was at it, added Thelonious Monk + Sonny Rollins, and A Charlie Brown Christmas (?!?!) to the order

Feeling grateful to brownout me for this treat

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I've got like five or six tabs of newbury up in my browser at home that I'm trying to boil down to a more reasonable three or four because of those posts

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Buffis posted:

Good mail day

That is an excellent idea. Too bad the pre-order for the 5 year anniversary pressing of emotion is already sold out.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

Demon_Corsair posted:

That is an excellent idea. Too bad the pre-order for the 5 year anniversary pressing of emotion is already sold out.

I preordered that one back in August, so I guess I'll sell my regular version when I get that :D

edit: Looks like you can still order it if you change color to pink?
https://emotion.carlyraejepsenshop.com/products/emotion-limited-edition-5th-anniversary-vinyl?variant=35408270852247

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Nikaer Drekin posted:

New Vault Package announced:

Track list for the main Greatest Hits album is kept secret for now, but this is what's on the bonus LP:

1. Look Me Over Closely
2. Lafayette Blues
3. Red Bowling Ball Ruth
4. You’re Pretty Good Looking (Trendy American Remix)
5. Rated X (Live at Hotel Yorba)
6. Who’s to Say…
7. Good To Me
8. Black Jack Davey
9. St. Ides of March
10. Who’s A Big Baby?
11.Though I Hear You Calling, I Will Not Answer
12. Shelter Of Your Arms
13. Walking With A Ghost

Bit surprised Jolene isn't here

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
ive been listening to all my records started with the LPs and finally hit my 7 inches and gimmicks. anyone else own some lathe cut records? they sound like poo poo but i love them

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
anyone got any tips for cleaning records? I bought a copy of Underworld's Oblivion With Bells which was fairly expensive (the LP was pressed in a small quantity and isn't one of their more popular ones) and Side 4 has a lot of popping on it. "VG+" my rear end (the cover also looks like it was waterlogged or something). Used one of those big pad brushes with a cleaning solution, it helped but not much. Anything else I can do???

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

JAMOOOL posted:

anyone got any tips for cleaning records? I bought a copy of Underworld's Oblivion With Bells which was fairly expensive (the LP was pressed in a small quantity and isn't one of their more popular ones) and Side 4 has a lot of popping on it. "VG+" my rear end (the cover also looks like it was waterlogged or something). Used one of those big pad brushes with a cleaning solution, it helped but not much. Anything else I can do???

cheapest route is buying a spin clean

https://www.amazon.com/Spin-Clean-Record-Washer-MKII-Complete/dp/B002UKSZUU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Have you tried steel wool?

Serious post:

My birthday was recently and my family spilt the cost of a Record Doctor and I really wish I known you can get a record vacuum for less than what a VPI or Nitty Gritty will run. You have a lot of money by getting one that doesn't have a motor that spins the record for you. If you can spare the money it's 200 bucks for a Record Doctor V and 300 for the slightly fancier VI. The only drawbacks to it are that it's fairly loud so if you live in apartment with thin walls you might piss off your neighbors. It also gets hot after you do a few records so it's best to let it cool down for a bit, though I'm pretty sure that's an issue with a lot of machines which are much more expensive. The model VI is supposed to be quieter and not run as hot but I can't really tell you how significant that difference is.

Anyway, if something like that is not an option then I'd recommend the Spin Clean. I've used one for years and it's a worthwhile investment.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

or a Squeaky Clean!

https://squeakycleanvinyl.com

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Do you have a local shop that sells used ones? I've never asked but I think my shop will clean one for your for a couple bucks.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

RSD Black Friday list just dropped and there's only one truly great release in the bunch.

SHOPPING CART! ESCALATORS!

EDIT: Also I'm gonna buy the poo poo outta that Milla Jovovich record.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 7, 2020

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
i'm definitely interested in this one

and maybe this one

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

looks pretty cool, but is this gonna do anything one of these won't?

https://www.rockmerch.com/products/...s%20%26%20Vinyl

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Spin Clean is nice, I've had one for about 5 years. It's especially good if you have a stack of records you want to clean at once.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

How are you guys talking about the RSD Black Friday releases without mentioning this must-have:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Giga Gaia posted:

ive been listening to all my records started with the LPs and finally hit my 7 inches and gimmicks. anyone else own some lathe cut records? they sound like poo poo but i love them

I have a record that’s literally made of card stock paper with some sort of lacquer on top. It does sound terrible but it’s a powerviolence record so it’s fitting.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Yeah, not a whole lot stands out to me on that Black Friday RSD list. Another previously Japan-only Herbie Hancock record might be good, and I am intrigued by Jahari Massamba Unit, which is Madlib doing spiritual jazz.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 minutes!
i might be interested in that best coast reissue because it's the first album my wife and i listened to together

but im sure the original isn't hard to find or expensive

part of me wants life on the murder scene

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

JAMOOOL posted:

The wood glue method might be good for some deeply embedded grime. Not a good solution for multiple records but if you are just doing the one?

JAMOOOL posted:

Dang. I think I got mine for $40ish a few years back. I think they are a bit better than just the brush. The grooves are fully submerged in the cleaning solution and the brushes apply an even pressure across the whole record.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

JAMOOOL posted:

personally i dont think you'll get as deep a clean as you would with the brush and spray as you'll get with a spin clean, but also a spin clean wont get records as clean as a vacuum cleaning system. with the $40 option you'll maybe get some surface gunk off and maybe with some luck during the drying with a large microfiber towel youll get into the grooves to really get the crud out, but it wont be as good as a spin clean can do with the record fully submerged and the brushes working their magic.

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

Toe Rag posted:

I have a record that’s literally made of card stock paper with some sort of lacquer on top. It does sound terrible but it’s a powerviolence record so it’s fitting.

hell yeah that owns

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Giga Gaia posted:

Old high school friend of mine did some personalized live direct to vinyl lathe cut recordings at some studio in Brooklyn, and it is almost completely unlistenable. Glad I could help out a friend, but I think that's the last time I dabble in those.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

JAMOOOL posted:

for one off cleans of particularly dirty or treasured records you can go the wood glue route - it does work well but it's too time consuming to do en masse.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

my turntables phono pre-amp died and all the shops i've tried in the area either are closed due to covid, out of business or wouldnt touch the repair job because they have a huge backlog and wouldn't add it to the list because it isnt high end gear.

well poo poo.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
How the gently caress do I get my hands on the Jarvis Cocker RSD records? I've been waiting for those to get repressed for a long time! I've not done any RSD poo poo online. Any Toronto/Ontario goons got hints?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Enos Cabell posted:

Old high school friend of mine did some personalized live direct to vinyl lathe cut recordings at some studio in Brooklyn, and it is almost completely unlistenable. Glad I could help out a friend, but I think that's the last time I dabble in those.

This can work though, as it's what Third Man does for their live shows at their place in Nashville and they all sound real good.

RSD is kinda meh. Think I might try and find that Uncle Tupelo and maybe Best Coast but that's about it.

e: If it's not super expensive (it will be) maybe that John Prine box set.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Barry posted:

This can work though, as it's what Third Man does for their live shows at their place in Nashville and they all sound real good.

poo poo, good point. I forgot about that and I even own the Sleep live set they did. In that case I guess just steer clear of Leesta Vall recordings then.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Got the new Rolling Blackouts CF album for twelve bucks on Amazon. Woot

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Hrmmm for RSD Black Friday I see many bands I used to be into and one thing that I tried and failed to get on CD which is Masters of Reality- Sunrise on the Sufferbus. Still not particularly motivated to get up and freeze my rear end off for it or anything else however. Also I'm lolling at Blows Against the Empire getting a fancy rerelease because I personally can't stand the album. I fully admit I only have a copy of that one because I like the cover art.

Also content:

RSD clean up (thanks to whoever it was who mentioned Mouth Congress in the thread; sounded cool so I bought it) and two things from the thrift store. The thrift store is such that I can't believe I'm buying random Ferrante and Teicher albums just because I haven't seen them in the wild before.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Hell yeah, Mouth Congress! It's weird for sure, but hope you dig it!

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

Enos Cabell posted:

the one i listened to today (a halo orbit single) actually sounds worse than when i first bought it even though ive only listened to it once two years or so ago. love that square

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Do you guys have any unusually shaped discs? I only have one, the big planchette disc that came with The Mars Volta's The Bedlam in Goliath.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Off the top of my head I have one shaped like a heart and another like the USA. The one true shaped disc is the Jeromes Dream/Orchid split which I sooo want. I’ve never seen one for sale. It’s in the shape of a skull and probably a picture disc and some even glow in the dark.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I've got this from the Locust

Barely listen to it because flipping basically every minute or less kinda sucks. But the Locust kicks rear end.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I regret not buying this

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

dorium posted:

my turntables phono pre-amp died and all the shops i've tried in the area either are closed due to covid, out of business or wouldnt touch the repair job because they have a huge backlog and wouldn't add it to the list because it isnt high end gear.

well poo poo.

Is it a switchable pre amp? Could you just send it through one of these?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/pyle-p...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

kumba posted:

I regret not buying this

This owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?

Heath posted:

Do you guys have any unusually shaped discs? I only have one, the big planchette disc that came with The Mars Volta's The Bedlam in Goliath.

Someday I'll get this: