Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

:yeah:

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Where's E8?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

cut off

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'

Dark just keeps getting more confusing, I can't keep track of all these alternate dimensions.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Blue Footed Booby posted:

It can also clench its gills and blow, forcibly ejecting whatever is in its mouth. This is what happened to a number of scuba divers who got to close and were accidentally sucked in. The world goes dark and fwoomp, you're back in the light.

If the shark were bothered he'd eject them like piscine confetti.

that would almost certainly fail to work on this fish, which have powerful suckers with which they can attach themselves to their host. And even if the whaleshark did do that, they'd probably just attach to the outside and go back in the mouth as soon as convenient, if they wanted to.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Squalid posted:

that would almost certainly fail to work on this fish, which have powerful suckers with which they can attach themselves to their host. And even if the whaleshark did do that, they'd probably just attach to the outside and go back in the mouth as soon as convenient, if they wanted to.

Those are Pilot Fish and they have no suckers. You're thinking of (and I poo poo you not, this is their real name) a Sharksucker.

Nvm I am wrong on what type of fish those were

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Oct 7, 2020

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Squalid posted:

Right.

Proteus Jones posted:

Those are Pilot Fish and they have no suckers. You're thinking of (and I poo poo you not, this is their real name) a Sharksucker.

:wrong:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

You are correct, I *am* wrong. I was being a lazy rear end and didn't want to go back one page to look at the picture and just assumed they were Pilot Fish. They are indeed Sharksuckers.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://i.imgur.com/wkmmEid.mp4

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

PET THE DOG ALREADY :D

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
The fish that suck are called suckerfish.

In case a fish that tries its best is not sufficiently blessed:

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Remora is a much better name that doesn’t sound stupid imo

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

realbez posted:

Remora is a much better name that doesn’t sound stupid imo

Who's the protagonist of Beverly Cleary's spinoff series of books for young fish?

Remora Quimby

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

Beachcomber posted:

Wife swimming as fast as possible because she loves sharks. If world travel ever resumes, and you're in Cabo, you should give it a go.

Additional Cabo incentive:

Monkey Business bar. Best margaritas ever, and I was also quite fond of the Pina Coladas.

I did the whale shark thing outside of Holbox (look it up, and then forget about it) and there were waaaay too many companies jockeying for position around these sharks. Spinning propellers everywhere. But I did get pushed aside by a tail fin as big as I am and that was cool as poo poo. Cabo is supposed to be a better experience.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

https://i.imgur.com/SzqYqN9.mp4

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

https://twitter.com/DialHForHagai/status/1313487406004342787

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Well, that's about the best thing I've seen in a while.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
https://twitter.com/beccamals/status/1313513274642755604

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

One syllable too few, sadly.

e: Wait do people who have never actually heard the thing (whether the joke or any part of the opera) pronounce it Pag-li-acc-i? Lmao.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
"sword"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

What the gently caress :psyduck:

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

One syllable too few, sadly.

e: Wait do people who have never actually heard the thing (whether the joke or any part of the opera) pronounce it Pag-li-acc-i? Lmao.

How do you pronounce it that it changes the number of syllables?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Garrand posted:

How do you pronounce it that it changes the number of syllables?

Pal-yacc-i

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

lol

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It can still work, it's not like the TMNT theme is sung with a natural speaking cadence.

necroid
May 14, 2009

pagliacci means clowns in italian, this is how you pronounce it

https://translate.google.com/#view=home&op=translate&sl=auto&tl=it&text=clowns

I love that google translate stresses the pronounciation to make it sound like a bad caricature of an italian speaking, lol

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

necroid posted:

pagliacci means clowns in italian, this is how you pronounce it

https://translate.google.com/#view=home&op=translate&sl=auto&tl=it&text=clowns

I love that google translate stresses the pronounciation to make it sound like a bad caricature of an italian speaking, lol

Except for the strange emphasis coming from the COMPUTER VOICE, that's how I thought it was pronounced. Definitely 4 syllables.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3y3QoFnqZc

necroid
May 14, 2009

it's 3 syllables : PAH - LYAH - CHEE

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

necroid posted:

it's 3 syllables : PAH - LYAH - CHEE

pah-lee-AH-chee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2Za96BbFxM

necroid
May 14, 2009

thank you Proteus Jones for teaching me, an italian person, how to pronounce italian words

pagliacci in italian has 3 syllables, dunno how many more times I have to say it

e : PA - GLIAC - CI which phonetically would be PAH - LYAHCH - CHEE

I wrote it wrong phonetically earlier

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

necroid posted:

thank you Proteus Jones for teaching me, an italian person, how to pronounce italian words

pagliacci in italian has 3 syllables, dunno how many more times I have to say it

Hey no problem. Sorry about your hillbilly dialect.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
drat this is so important it needs its own thread

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

And in any case, the joke doesn't work in Italian for the obvious reason, so you're equally obviously not intended to pronounce it exactly like a native Italian speaker.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

necroid posted:

e : PA - GLIAC - CI which phonetically would be PAH - LYAHCH - CHEE

I wrote it wrong phonetically earlier

LYAHCH is two syllables in English

hth

necroid
May 14, 2009

Proteus Jones posted:

Hey no problem. Sorry about your hillbilly dialect.

here, let me explain this to you with the same tools that I'd use to explain it to a little baby :

there you go buddy

Blue Footed Booby posted:

And in any case, the joke doesn't work in Italian for the obvious reason, so you're equally obviously not intended to pronounce it exactly like a native Italian speaker.

what? I think it's even funnier if you know that his surname Pagliacci means literally Clowns

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

necroid posted:

here, let me explain this to you with the same tools that I'd use to explain it to a little baby :

there you go buddy

what? I think it's even funnier if you know that his surname Pagliacci means literally Clowns

sorry my goon but the shitter-tier language that has supplanted your poo poo-tier language everywhere on the planet says you're wrong