Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
It's fifteen coins if you link it from Riki or Dunban, I don't think that's particularly expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I just finished Future Connected and I had a lot of fun with it even if I wandered a bunch and got overlevelled quickly. I liked the extra story it brought, and the little tweak of fighting without visions as a crutch meant I got a good challenge out of some of the fights.

All told I'm sad to be done with DE. I loved basically everything about it from the first moment the piano on Colony 9 kicked in, I'm so glad the fond memories of my first playthrough weren't just rose-tinted glasses. That, and the improvements they made were top notch, I have a new fondness for a lot of tracks I didn't when I'd pull up the original OST while studying.

That said, I'm hesitant to play 2 cause it seems like the consensus is that it's Very Extra in a lot of different ways and I just don't know if I'll enjoy it nearly as much.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

When you nail XBC2’s combat the game really sings and you feel great destroying a boss with that five-orb chain attack you carefully built up. But that isn’t a majority of the main game: it’s fighting weaklings that rarely live long enough to get off a full blade combo, and it’s boring. I can see why people get into the post-game, as that is largely about finding huge bosses to murder.

Also you can tell the game had a truncated development, from light jank like watching a cutscene, then taking five steps to trigger a second cutscene, to the game just getting very weird over differences in elevation. Then there’s the dev’s almost fetishistic need to gently caress with your party composition. Every chapter yoinks characters out of your party for varying periods of time. In any other jrpg, this would make some sense, but so much of XBC2’a combat is dependent upon party synergy that having to spend fifteen minutes reconfiguring your team twice an hour gets super old and annoying.

Even then, the game is fun and if you enjoyed sucking all the marrow out of XBC1 then you will spend way more time doing the fun stuff in XBC2 than the less fun story bits.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

YggiDee posted:

It's fifteen coins if you link it from Riki or Dunban, I don't think that's particularly expensive.

15 coins is basically the difference between a particularly good skill or not.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Manoueverable posted:

That said, I'm hesitant to play 2 cause it seems like the consensus is that it's Very Extra in a lot of different ways and I just don't know if I'll enjoy it nearly as much.

Don't 100% it into being unfun on your first run, if you do play it. Alcamoth was rough, but Ursula or trying to get KOSMOS intentionally lead to madness.

It's got solid NG+ though, especially with the dlc and everything that opens up, and the dlc campaign itself is a fantastic refinement of the series formula but in a smaller, concise package -- one that you should not open until beating XB2 itself for plot reasons.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I was waiting until I finished Switcher 3 before starting XC:DE. 195 hours later Geralt is resting at his vineyard in Toussaint and I’ve started my third time adventuring with Shulk & co.

It cannot be stressed enough how much better the UI is compared to the two previous incarnations of this game. Tracking quests is super easy and the navigation stuff on the map is great. The game loads almost instantly when you quick travel which rules. Even the affinity chart was updated and is much quicker and easier to use. I just wish there had been a bestiary where you could track unique monsters, but otherwise everything about this version of the game is amazing. I just got Sharla and finding the enemies & items for quests in Gaur Plain is so easy now it’s shaved off several hours of wandering in frustration.

I’m bored of playing as Shulk though so maybe I’ll try to pick up Reyn since playing as Sharla is the worst.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Oh man, set Reyn up for damage, let Dunban tank, and have ideally Shulk, but possibly Riki as DPS backup and just be mad at how quick things start dying.

Edit: More specifically, use his strength up abilities and then use his big cool down damage ability and watch their health disappear. Do this at max chain attack bonus and laugh as you drat-near one-shot even the beefiest of bois.

Saxophone fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 11, 2020

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

It’s dumb that they introduce chain attacks and then give you Sharla, the person who is objectively the worst at them. That’s probably why I never figured them out in previous playthroughs, it’s going to be a bit before I get Dunban iirc... actually I don’t remember at all when you get him. Weird.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

It's reasonably early if I recall. Just past the Sharla arc I think.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

It’s dumb that they introduce chain attacks and then give you Sharla, the person who is objectively the worst at them. That’s probably why I never figured them out in previous playthroughs, it’s going to be a bit before I get Dunban iirc... actually I don’t remember at all when you get him. Weird.

Dunban joins after the ether mines.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

CaptainPsyko posted:

Dunban joins after the ether mines.

Oh right. Thaaaaaat's why I hated the boss fight in there so much.

Probably the only instance in the game where I will say to go nuts and overlevel. That encounter suuuucks if you're under even a level.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I forgot to mention that Expert Mode is the greatest, this is the first time the game has actually been challenging since I am not consistently seven levels higher than the average enemies.

This might be a dumb question, but is Thunder Bullet an electric attack?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I forgot to mention that Expert Mode is the greatest, this is the first time the game has actually been challenging since I am not consistently seven levels higher than the average enemies.

This might be a dumb question, but is Thunder Bullet an electric attack?

Meaning is it boosted by Electric Plus Gems? Definitely yes.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

A unexpected (but welcome) side effect of expert mode is that, since most of my exp is coming from battles, I have earned significantly more AP and SP than in previous playthroughs. Also the enemies actually aggro me and are dangerous which is also great. It seems like the game should always have been like this, the feeling of progression is much better.

I’ve done two 100+ hour playthroughs of this game before and legit it feels like a different game.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
Expert mode is probably one of my favorite quality of life features ever. Also, finally getting back to playing Xenoblade 2 and goddamn it is a lot better when you have a narcipear jelly shoved in your pocket at all times.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

What’s the name of the battle music in Galahad Fortress, because it owns. Probably cheesy but I’m a sucker for shredding guitars.

I know I said this before but I have so much more AP/Skill Points from fighting so many more enemies than I did in previous versions of the game, thanks to Expert Mode, and it rules. I was able to get Dunban’s entire Wisdom skill tree and am rolling with Naked Dunban and holy poo poo it’s insane how powerful he is.*

*unless the enemy has an Ether attack in which case he crumbles like a piece of delicious cake

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

You're hearing the epic Mechanical Rhythm. Careful seeking it out on youtube or reading comments or whatever, as this isn't the last area it will play in.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Alxprit posted:

You're hearing the epic Mechanical Rhythm. Careful seeking it out on youtube or reading comments or whatever, as this isn't the last area it will play in.

It’s cool this is my third time playing the game, I won’t be spoiled.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

It’s cool this is my third time playing the game, I won’t be spoiled.

The other battle theme that plays there when you get ambushed is Irregular Bound, which, while not as good as Mechanical Rhythm, is also insanely loving good. It really drives the point of being pursued by killer robots home.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Is there a way to get the definitive edition soundtrack without having bought the shiny collector's edition?

Some days you just want to listen to the Gaur Plains theme on repeat.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Jet Jaguar posted:

Is there a way to get the definitive edition soundtrack without having bought the shiny collector's edition?

Some days you just want to listen to the Gaur Plains theme on repeat.

I don't believe they've released the soundtrack yet. There is a gamerip floating about various :filez: sites, but nothing official.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Since XB2 didn't burn me out, I'm replaying XB:DE now, how's the arranged music vs the original?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Fhqwhgads posted:

Since XB2 didn't burn me out, I'm replaying XB:DE now, how's the arranged music vs the original?

I find that I prefer different arrangements of different areas, rather than preferring one or the other. Swap back and forth periodically IMO.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I was watching the cutscene on the beach after Galahad Fortress and my wife walked in...

Her: So did you beat the game?

Me: No, I’m probably only... 50% done

Her: JESUS CHRIST

Me: Ok maybe 60%?

Game is long, although side quests are significantly shorter with the new tracking system.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I just found out that aubergine is what the Brits call eggplants and I’m laughing at the idea that Reyn goes nuts for a delicious energy eggplant.

Ask why are eggplants growing inside the Mechonis :thunk:

Edit: it’s technically a fruit but the game classifies it as a vegetable!!!

Blackbelt Bobman fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Oct 7, 2020

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I just found out that aubergine is what the Brits call eggplants and I’m laughing at the idea that Reyn goes nuts for a delicious energy eggplant.

Ask why are eggplants growing inside the Mechonis :thunk:

Edit: it’s technically a fruit but the game classifies it as a vegetable!!!

They're fruit in the same sense that tomatoes are. Sure, they're biologically fruit, but that doesn't mean you put them in a fruit salad.

Vegetables are not a scientific grouping. It's a culinary distinction.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I never really used Riki in (mid-to-late game spoiler) the Mechnois but holy poo poo his art Peekaboo is insanely good. Did you know that confuse automatically cancels enemies out of attacks and smashes vision tags, like Daze? Because I didn’t until now and it’s absurdly good.

HEROPON VERY COOL

Also the Mechonis Field music slaps, as the kids would say

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Finally picked this back up again so I could check out Future Connected and goddamn if I'm not just instantly charmed again.

Reive
May 21, 2009

I haven't been keeping up on anything xeno, I've put off getting xbc2 for a really long time and I'm just wondering if the performance ever got better, when it launched there was some sort of bug that was causing fps to tank and stay that way until you rebooted.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

I played it earlier this year and didn't notice any problems like that. The FPS isn't the greatest when you're in handheld mode but docked it was fine and only dipped when my whole screen was lit up with spell effects.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I never had any severe, lasting FPS drops as described, but chain attacks are a form of torture for your Switch.

https://twitter.com/thenamnesor/status/1281785467877199873

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Just finished Future Connected. It's good and I liked it.

I should get around to finishing the main game some time I guess...

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Reive posted:

I haven't been keeping up on anything xeno, I've put off getting xbc2 for a really long time and I'm just wondering if the performance ever got better, when it launched there was some sort of bug that was causing fps to tank and stay that way until you rebooted.

I played the game at launch and never experienced that. If it was happening they definitely patched it out, as I put in a good 200+ hours without any major hassles.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I played the game at launch and never experienced that. If it was happening they definitely patched it out, as I put in a good 200+ hours without any major hassles.

XC2 has a memory leak issue that can be noticeable in certain circumstances. I learned about this via Enel's speedrun video tutorial.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Takoluka posted:

XC2 has a memory leak issue that can be noticeable in certain circumstances. I learned about this via Enel's speedrun video tutorial.

Yeah I thought they patched that issue out? I never had it cause performance issues like the OP described.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Yeah I thought they patched that issue out? I never had it cause performance issues like the OP described.

I've never personally experienced it myself, but the speedrun is based on the latest version of the game, so I assume whatever issue exists is potentially still there to some degree. It might not be as good as described above these days, though.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Don't forget leak; don't forget

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Chronojam posted:

Don't forget leak; don't forget

It really sucks that they patched that out because this YouTube video is one of the funniest things I’ve ever seen and the joke is lost

https://youtu.be/rmnZ0R8quWM

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

At least they ran with the joke in the expansion, a suitable penance for the shortsighted edit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

It really sucks that they patched that out because this YouTube video is one of the funniest things I’ve ever seen and the joke is lost

https://youtu.be/rmnZ0R8quWM

oh my god someone transcribed it in the comments, how loving long did that take :psyduck: