Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
The rational side of my brain is reminding me branch names haven't been related to the upcoming content in a good while, but on the other hand I want my mutant rats so badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i think the majority of the names have been bird related, and nutcracker is just so drat on the nose. wooden soldier vs many headed rat monster.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Does anyone have a link to that reddit post where someone put together images of all the units every faction was missing at one point from tabletop? I remember it was a bit out of date, with some factions getting nearly all of them in the last year or two. But I liked having the pretty pictures to look at.

What units would Clan Moulder be missing? Flying Skaven (From Gotrek and Felix V.2)?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Packmasters as heroes or lords, giant rats of varying sizes and potentially as a mount option for the former, rat swarms though they aren't hugely important or cool imo, rat ogre variants and a lot of people seem to expect Stormfiends to show up since they seem to be one of the Endtimes era things people are cool with. There'd potentially be some sort of weird monster mash creation that Throt could get as a campaign mechanic maybe and some stuff that wouldn't show up on the models but would be unique bonuses to represent them mutating some of their units similar to what Skryre gets with the workshop.

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013
I think it's going to be Ariel; she's a fairy queen, and the Nutcracker himself was the transformed prince of an enchanted realm ruled by the Sugar-Plum Fairy.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
It would be wild to me if we got Yet More Skaven DLC, especially since Moulder feels like it makes so much more sense to me as a game 3 DLC given the geographical location of Hell Pit.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Ariel is the obvious pick, yeah. Sisters of Twilight might have been neat though.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

The modelling game of the mod community is getting insane

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2245662298

Plus demons!

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2248933803

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2244883018

I really hope they go for Ariel and the Sisters rather than Ariel and Araloth.

Azran fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 6, 2020

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Remember, we’re getting a Mortal Empires-only lord in addition to the new DLC if you have games 1 and 2 and the game 1 Wood Elf DLC.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Dr Christmas posted:

Remember, we’re getting a Mortal Empires-only lord in addition to the new DLC if you have games 1 and 2 and the game 1 Wood Elf DLC.

I'm like 99% sure Ariel is going to be that one. She'll start in the forest and have the updated original wood elf campaign, and the DLC one will have a unique campaign.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Redoing the WE campaign as Ariel with durthu and orion being recruit able Lords would be good.

Dang didn't realise I'm so hyped for more dlc

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Animations are still a sticking point though, right?

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Vassals feel way better in 3K at least

e: I guess that goes for everything that can even vaguely fall under the purview of "diplomacy"

as long as they don't take trading from Troy, I'm sure importing diplomacy-related things from the more recent historical games can only be a net positive

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Mordja posted:

Animations are still a sticking point though, right?

Yup, that's a pain the rear end but they've done a few custom ones (like the one for the Ghorgon)

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

There's a mod that adds custom reloading animations to handgunners (Imperial and Sylvanian) and Gunnery Wights (so far).

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I managed to create the most horrifying stack I've ever seen in this game

-19 Leadership for all enemies base
-16 from Doom and Darkness
-8 from Devolve
-8 from Fear

ALSO

Massive Winds of Magic reserve with Purple Sun/Pit of Shades
Terror from Giants
Just a metric ton of angry beef

I won the long campaign without Malagor losing a single battle. Waaaagh Grimgor sent two stacks and two waaagh stacks at it and bounced off. Grimgor himself got trapped between two doombulls and bullied to death—lvl40 Grimgor Ironhide being hurled around like a ragdoll. It is the most fun I've had playing this game in over a year and I highly recommend it.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
I remember in WH1 VC had an easy to rebellion farm trait on vampire heros that stacked for -leadership. You basically routed the entire enemy on contact.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Game 3 should probably put a cap on -leadership in region effects, since you can stack enough to instantly route armies and the AI can't handle it.

In the meantime it's strong but boring cheese.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Is there a mod that in some way limits how quickly the AI will snatch up territories you raze to the ground? That's one change I'm not a fan of in TWW2, feels like playing whack-a-mole.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Mordja posted:

Is there a mod that in some way limits how quickly the AI will snatch up territories you raze to the ground? That's one change I'm not a fan of in TWW2, feels like playing whack-a-mole.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2120213154&searchtext=chaos+raze+cooldown Give this a try

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

My only real worry for game 3 is that they've power creeped things a ton so it's going to be hard to just make someone just Good At Fighting or Good At Heavy Infantry and there will be pressure to go the other way. My other lesser worry is that whatever gimmick they use for the Chorfs will make them unfun

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
All Chorf units are Ironbreakers, except about half as fast

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Is there one of these that isn't just for those three races?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Mordja posted:

Is there one of these that isn't just for those three races?

Sadly there was an earlier version that did it for everyone, but it's no longer supported. Last updated in 12/2019.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Kanos posted:

It would be wild to me if we got Yet More Skaven DLC, especially since Moulder feels like it makes so much more sense to me as a game 3 DLC given the geographical location of Hell Pit.

idk why people think the skaven have gotten so much dlc, theyre tied with dark elves for least amount of LLs for a game 2 faction

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Don't all G2 factions have 2 DLC LLs and Skaven are the only faction without freeLC lords? So technically they actually have received the least content of all the G2 factions?

It's just that when they got new stuff it was actually, you know, good every time. Lizardmen additions IMO are either bland or just performs poorly, except the Dread Saurian I guess. DE don't even have a Dread Saurian equivalent. And every single one of their new campaigns have either really boring and basic or really unfun campaign mechanics*.

* I don't actually have Hunter/Beast so I can't speak for Nakai personally but having watched streams of it and seen other people's feedback I still feel pretty comfortable saying this.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Tretch is terrible. Both FLC lizard lords are fantastic. I'm pulling for throt as flc, and some kind of rework for ghorst so I can play counts in the new world.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Tretch is terrible. Both FLC lizard lords are fantastic. I'm pulling for throt as flc, and some kind of rework for ghorst so I can play counts in the new world.

I thought Tretch was one of the OG WH2 lords? I didn't start playing until early this year so I'm not 100% on this stuff.

E: Also Tiktaq'to ME was my first ever WH2 campaign and I thought he was terrible to play, and even though I can appreciate him a bit more today he definitely doesn't hold up to any of the good FLC lords. Does he even have any unique campaign mechanics?

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Insurrectionist posted:

I thought Tretch was one of the OG WH2 lords? I didn't start playing until early this year so I'm not 100% on this stuff.

E: Also Tiktaq'to ME was my first ever WH2 campaign and I thought he was terrible to play, and even though I can appreciate him a bit more today he definitely doesn't hold up to any of the good FLC lords. Does he even have any unique campaign mechanics?

Queek is the second Skaven OG lord, together with Skrolk. I don't even know how we ended up with Tretch, which is very much in character I suppose.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Asehujiko posted:

Queek is the second Skaven OG lord, together with Skrolk. I don't even know how we ended up with Tretch, which is very much in character I suppose.

Ah cool, I googled him and the first result didn't say anything about him being freeLC unlike some other lords I've checked so I assumed he wasn't. Definitely another miss then - although I guess most of the really good freeLC campaigns and characters have been quite recent.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
So the FLC has to be for one the core WH2 races, meaning HE, DE, Lizards and Skaven. The problem here is imho that Skaven have the least legendary lords together with the Dark Elves, but they have some of the best campaign mechanics right now. Undercities, the forbidden workshop, etc. Those are all pretty cool, much better than the other WH2 core factions get. High Elves also have some interesting mechanics, and they at least have a lot of different climate preferences for their LLs, more than any other faction except Wood Elves and Norsca, so you can go in many different directions with the faction. Lizardmen and Dark Elves on the other hand suffer quite a bit imo, even if Lizards at least have one horde faction. But the DLCs usually are used to overhaul or improve the mechanics of different factions, and I think Skaven are among the factions least in need of improvement, while Lizards and DEs are much higher on that list. So personally I would prefer another Dark Elf lord over a Skaven one, especially considering the fact that Skaven will surely also get a pretty big spotlight in WH3, while the prospects for the other core WH2 races are much dimmer.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Tretch has a really hard starting location but honestly I really like his bonuses and play style. Between full-army vanguard deployment and easy ambushes/ambush bonus, you're basically never fighting the enemy on their own terms. He probably feels the most skaven-y, in that he encourages you to be an absolute bastard.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Insurrectionist posted:

Don't all G2 factions have 2 DLC LLs and Skaven are the only faction without freeLC lords? So technically they actually have received the least content of all the G2 factions?

It's just that when they got new stuff it was actually, you know, good every time. Lizardmen additions IMO are either bland or just performs poorly, except the Dread Saurian I guess. DE don't even have a Dread Saurian equivalent. And every single one of their new campaigns have either really boring and basic or really unfun campaign mechanics*.

* I don't actually have Hunter/Beast so I can't speak for Nakai personally but having watched streams of it and seen other people's feedback I still feel pretty comfortable saying this.
Yeah, it's more this. Skaven have a really fun and varied roster, lots of cool and unique campaign mechanics and their starting points are nicely spread around the map so you get a different experience with each sub-faction. They feel like the most complete / polished faction in the game, and so the least in need of any kind of attention. More content is always good, it's just a shame the other races (including the Warhams 1 ones) have had comparatively small / bland updates.

Zephro fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Oct 7, 2020

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Ikit Claw and his ‘gentlemen’ rats are still king for me. Something about Skaven in fact being the most technologically advanced faction is just :discourse:

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I also think part of the problem is that the Warhams 1 races generally suffer from lack of ambition compared to those in the second game (for understandable reasons, it makes sense to be cautious at first). CA have tried to patch it up a bit with stuff like the Imperial Authority system or Scrap or the Forge but I'm not sure those do the trick by themselves.

It will be interesting to see if the same pattern repeats itself with the third game. Focusing on daemons and chaos might give them narrative license to be even more creative / off-the-wall with abilities and faction mechanics than they were with the game 2 races.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
I think the Empire and Vampire Count updates to their factions really made them much more fun to play as. It seems like with every update the updates themselves have gotten bolder and more interesting.

Unfortunately, there's only so much to do with older factions, especially based on where they get based. Maybe come W3 we can see some more LL's moved around the map, maybe Volkar gets a start in the Dark Lands, same with Helman Ghorst.

Dwarfs have the problem of lore-wise being on the defensive constantly.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
There are minor dwarf factions in the Southlands, and in Lustria as well. Meanwhile, you have one dwarf faction having two LLs for some reason? I mean, I know the reason is that it was done the same way in WH1, but there's no reason Grombrindal can't take a vacation in Lustria or the Southlands to lead their dwarves.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

If nothing else I'd love to see Grombrindal as a Lord any dwarf faction can earn under player control.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Yeah, one problem with Dwarfs is that 3 out of 4 LLs start right next to each other and the 4th isn't all that far away either. That's partly because that's how it works in the lore, but as you say Grombrindal could legitimately start almost anywhere. You could stick him in Kraka Drak or near Clan Moulder or somewhere in Naggarond or Lustria. If you really wanted Big Beard Energy make him start in Karak Zorn, cos if anyone knows where it is, it'd be him. Then you could give him some kind of Belegar-style campaign to link up with the rest of the Dwarfs and tell them where the most famous Lost Hold of all is. There's loads of options.

edit: though I guess you'd want to change the layout around Karak Zorn because it's stuck at the end of a long corridor and that kinda sucks from a gameplay POV

Zephro fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Oct 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Zephro posted:

Yeah, one problem with Dwarfs is that 3 out of 4 LLs start right next to each other and the 4th isn't all that far away either. That's partly because that's how it works in the lore, but as you say Grombrindal could legitimately start almost anywhere. You could stick him in Kraka Drak or near Clan Moulder or somewhere in Naggarond or Lustria. If you really wanted Big Beard Energy make him start in Karak Zorn, cos if anyone knows where it is, it'd be him. Then you could give him some kind of Belegar-style campaign to link up with the rest of the Dwarfs and tell them where the most famous Lost Hold of all is. There's loads of options.

edit: though I guess you'd want to change the layout around Karak Zorn because it's stuck at the end of a long corridor and that kinda sucks from a gameplay POV

It'd turn into a fun advantage if the mountains were thin enough that you could underway in and out of the "corridor"