Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
It was also believed that Mirio was the closest person to reaching All Might rather than Endeavor, he just didn't have the heroic success history to rise in the rankings yet because he was still in school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

So an earlier poser reminded me that the Hero Rankings aren't just about power which is a fact I often overlook because the relationship between All Might #1 and Endeavor #2 is explicitly all about power levels. That said, I'm fairly certain Endeavor is absolutely the strongest Pro other than All Might, isn't he?

He's the strongest in Japan currently, although one hero, Mirko, may be on his level.

Also quirks are getting stronger with each generation so the current crop of UA students have some really strong quirks even compared to most pro's.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Fabricated posted:

The thing about MHA's world that's funny is that it kinda proves that registration is not that big of a deal.

It doesn't actually prove that, so much as it constructs a reality where, for some reason, very few villains are willing to exploit the fact they know exactly who a hero is, where they live, and how to get to their non-hero friends and family.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Adder Moray posted:

It doesn't actually prove that, so much as it constructs a reality where, for some reason, very few villains are willing to exploit the fact they know exactly who a hero is, where they live, and how to get to their non-hero friends and family.

And then said villains are going to have a very bad time of things.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

And then said villains are going to have a very bad time of things.

Yes, because we all know when you've successfully abducted someone's spouse and/or children the first thing they're going to do is put their lives in danger by immediately coming after you.

Which doesn't even account for the people just out for revenge or to hurt a hero because they can. Or to discourage heroism in general through terroristic threats striking at various heroes' homes all at once.

I'm not criticizing the universe they constructed for not doing this, but I am criticizing the notion that, because it doesn't happen in this particular fiction then it is disproven as a narrative issue.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Adder Moray posted:

Yes, because we all know when you've successfully abducted someone's spouse and/or children the first thing they're going to do is put their lives in danger by immediately coming after you.

Which doesn't even account for the people just out for revenge or to hurt a hero because they can. Or to discourage heroism in general through terroristic threats striking at various heroes' homes all at once.

I'm not criticizing the universe they constructed for not doing this, but I am criticizing the notion that, because it doesn't happen in this particular fiction then it is disproven as a narrative issue.

My point was that doing actions like that puts a very noticeable target on your back and is likely to see said perp getting a lot more attention then they would like and ensure that if/when they are caught they are going to suffer plenty of accidents in prison if they even get that far.

Edit: Also you are basically asking why don't more criminals declare war against the state.

Hunt11 fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Oct 7, 2020

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Considering that MHA's world is basically like The City from The Tick where there's so many heroes they're colliding in midair I think you'd probably run into more heroes if you tried to harm another hero's family

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I don't think hero's secret identities are public. You have one offs like Gran Torino calling Endeavor Todoroki, but he's a little bit of a show boat.

But on the other hand, when Gran Torino called Deku Toshinori, he did not immediately ask why he was calling him All Might's real name.

I think Deku still doesn't know what AM's real name is.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

On the other hand they also had all the hero students fight on national television using their real names during the sports festival.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

All Might is the exception in having a secret identity because if he didn't All for One would have immediately murdered him in his sleep. Other heroes have public identities.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Adder Moray posted:

The reason for that is that for last several decades, if someone tried something like that, All Might would be bursting through the ceiling and hitting them with a punch strong enough to change local weather roughly 3 seconds after their location was discovered and there was absolutely nothing they could do about it. A few criminals probably tried the whole kidnapping thing, got pancaked by All Might anyways and everyone else took the hint.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Man the League is so mad they killed Magne when Magne was the one who attacked Overhaul without provocation. She deserved to get obliterated and Overhaul has a ironclad case of self-defense.

So Quirk Users have unexplained superhuman physical stats. Somebody like Bakugo has no explanation for why he's so fast but he obviously is faster than any human being or even most Quirk Users who might have some Quirk that allows them to have extra muscles.

But even allowing for that, Toga isn't anything special in terms of combat. As I noted earlier, rewatching Season 4 and I'm looking at her attack Izuku and Aizawa and Izuku should totally be capable of pulping her head with one blow. He wouldn't because good guy but the point is he's so ludicrously faster and stronger than her taht he should have totally taken her out in a split second.

Also I forgot Toga joined the League because of Stain. I remembered Dabi did, as did Spinner. It feels like only 1/3 of these people get Stain. Dabi maybe did but I think most of us just feel like Stain's emphasis on "true Heroes" plays into his resentment for his probable father. And Toga having no idea what Stain is all about is summed up well in her saying she joined the League "to make the world a place where I can do whatever I want and live freely." I can't imagine a statement more at odds with what Stain believed and killed for.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

So Quirk Users have unexplained superhuman physical stats. Somebody like Bakugo has no explanation for why he's so fast but he obviously is faster than any human being or even most Quirk Users who might have some Quirk that allows them to have extra muscles.

I liked when All Might punched that child so hard he threw up and then punted him through a building.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Speaking of, I hope they do a midterm or end of school year re-eval of the test from the first day showing off their progress in speed, throwing etc.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

oh jay posted:

I liked when All Might punched that child so hard he threw up and then punted him through a building.

The wisdom of Ein Dalton is always applicable.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

NikkolasKing posted:

Man the League is so mad they killed Magne when Magne was the one who attacked Overhaul without provocation. She deserved to get obliterated and Overhaul has a ironclad case of self-defense.
You're usually supposed to shout a warning before you throw a molotov.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I think in terms of pure physical specs, USJ Noumu is stronger, since it was literally made to fight All Might, and even after All Might went beyond the limits of his remaining OFA to beat it, the thing was still physically fine. Even in his nerfed state, All Might was still the strongest hero around by a long shot, so the fact that USJ Noumu could trade blows with him says a lot about its strength.

The Highend did do more property damage which makes it feel more destructive, but I feel that's more a case of the two Noumus fighting different opponents in different locations. All Might's fighting style is pretty much taking any blow that the enemy tosses at him, so the USJ Noumu didn't really need to target anything else, whereas Endeavor was flying around and fighting in an urban area with buildings and poo poo.

On the other hand, USJ Noumu was dumber than a sack of bricks, and only managed to hurt All Might because Kurogiri was backing it up. Meanwhile, the Highend was capable of thinking, and actively sought out fights due to its battle-hungry nature.

So I'd say that USJ Noumu was more powerful, but Highend was far more dangerous.

I would say High End was more powerful as well. It had more offensive power. The only reason USJ Nomu could fight with All Might was because of Shock Absorption a counter which would not have mattered against Endeavor.

All Might also probably would have easily dispatched it, had he not fought it when he literally only had 5 minutes or so left in his buff form.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

NikkolasKing posted:

Bakugo does. He uses his explosions to propel himself.

NikkolasKing posted:

Also I forgot Toga joined the League because of Stain. I remembered Dabi did, as did Spinner. It feels like only 1/3 of these people get Stain. Dabi maybe did but I think most of us just feel like Stain's emphasis on "true Heroes" plays into his resentment for his probable father. And Toga having no idea what Stain is all about is summed up well in her saying she joined the League "to make the world a place where I can do whatever I want and live freely." I can't imagine a statement more at odds with what Stain believed and killed for.

Toga explicitly did not give a poo poo about Stain's message. She just thought he was hot, cause he was all beat up and bloody in the video she watched.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

You're usually supposed to shout a warning before you throw a molotov.

I don't get what you meant.

Also just finished Overhaul Arc again. Still my favorite villain along with Stain. I forgot Mirio specifically says "[Overhaul] can use his quirk with somebody else's hands." Can't wait for Overhaul to return and gently caress over that poseur Tomura. A man can dream...

In any event, it'll be nice to start new stuff. I've missed Shoto who is my favorite protagonist besides Izuku.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't get what you meant.
Because molotov cocktails make fire? As in flames? God, don't tell me 'flame war' is that old a term...

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

Because molotov cocktails make fire? As in flames? God, don't tell me 'flame war' is that old a term...

I haven't heard flame war In a while but I was wondering if you meant something like hot take. Because people always do give warnings before they spew out a hot take.

But as cool as it was to have a trans character, Magne had a grand total of fifteen minutes of screentime, perhaps closer to 10, before she was vaporized. I didn't think I had a lot of Magne fans to worry about when I said she deserved it. I mean, the long and short of it is she kinda did because the League are all delusional hypocrites. They tried to murder Overhaul for no reason and then they get mad that he defended himself like it's his fault.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

This is not a real life sevent that actually happened, with people who made independent decisions. This is a comic book, written by one person who decides what the situations are and what the characters do.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i don't see what bearing at all that has on the "magne was a villain and got her just desserts" take

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Adder Moray posted:

Wasn't that basically what Stain did? And it ended up with the entire hero community gunning for him.

In real life crimianls don't usually go hunting cops (with a few exceptions) either

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

But even allowing for that, Toga isn't anything special in terms of combat. As I noted earlier, rewatching Season 4 and I'm looking at her attack Izuku and Aizawa and Izuku should totally be capable of pulping her head with one blow. He wouldn't because good guy but the point is he's so ludicrously faster and stronger than her taht he should have totally taken her out in a split second.

Remember that Toga was the one posing as Camie during the license exam, so she was the one who was so fast that Deku speculated she could teleport right before she had him pinned to the ground in momentary defeat. Like Bakugo she is inexplicably fast as gently caress and can disappear like a ninja if she wants to.

Shigaraki is also ridiculously fast. He basically teleported over to Deku, Tsuyu and Mineta when he tried to kill them and it appeared that he was about to dust Overhual before he could do anything which forced a human shield to jump between them.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Oct 8, 2020

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Characters are as fast/strong as they need to be for the plot at that moment.

This is not a new concept.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I don't watch that much anime - was the "if there is a school the kids in the school MUST put on a concert" cliche started by Haruhi or at least did Haruhi popularize it? Haruhi was a phenomenon about 10-12 years ago and I can't help but notice Persona 4 lacked a concert but P4G shoved one in there. But I don't watch much anime at all, let alone anime with schools so maybe it's rare or it has always been around and predates Haruhi by decades.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Question for anime only watchers, how do you all feel about the Overhaul arc now that it’s done? Back when it was coming out in the manga I remembered it being a slog and found the anime to be a fair bit better paced about it.

This is an older post but I actually liked the arc even more in a second watch when I wasn't waiting week to week to see everything. I don't hate Nighteye like so many do. I thought the premise of the arc was really cool and different and played well into the stuff mentioned slightly after with the "Quirk Singularity Doomsday ."

Speaking of which, the stuff afterward with Gentle that I'm watching now works so much better in relation to Overhaul. I think the two arcs enhance each other. You had a super dark and hosed up arc with only a few of the students which is then immediately followed by all the students getting some time in the sun and everything is so much more cheery, even the villain. I like that Jiro is basically the star of this OP.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
there's always a school festival arc but the great ones involve crossdressing cafes, the good ones involve haunted houses, and the average ones involve productions of the little prince/romeo & juliet/wuthering heights/rose of versailles. concerts are relatively rare by comparison.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

serious gaylord posted:

Characters are as fast/strong as they need to be for the plot at that moment.

This is not a new concept.

Also I believe Toga's speed/skill is noted as at least a little unusual at one point, or at least Camie's stuff is noticed as being rather rare in terms of those skills being unrelated to a physical quirk.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Superspeed and unusual strength is common in superhero stories, even when superheroes don't have those as their "power".

You're pretty useless unless you're fast, even if you shoot fire out of your hands. I mean it'd probably be nice to be able to shoot fire out of your hands, but a guy with a gun will still kill you unless you can dodge him.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

What are the odds you give each League member to be redeemed/have some kind of happy ending?

Dabi would seem to have the best odds. I'd like Twice to at least have some kind of "and he got help" ending.

EDIT:
Also nobody in here mentioned it but I like they had Fairy Tail's Natsu cheering on Endeavor.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Oct 9, 2020

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Well i just finished a rewatch of the whole series.

Bakugo gets a helluva lot better in Season 4. I find his angry shtick amusing but it couldn't be amusing so long as it wasn't just a shtick. Before this, he was legitimately violent and actively hurting people. But he's getting over that and so "KILL THEM WITH MUSIC" is good.

Season 4 is the season of redemption, I guess. One episode did wonders for Endeavor. I didn't remember his "Just Another Hero" song from Season 2 at all but it's the theme a lot of folks use for AMVs with his fight with the Nomu and it is perfect
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13kFaj56w5Y

Speaking of Endeavor though, I had an image in my head of him ending up like Makoto Shishio, all his sweat glands burned away and cooking himself from inside out. I sure if he ever dies it isn't that way.

All Might vs. All for One is still one of the most perfect things I've ever seen in anime.

My favorite line is:
All Might: You were right, a hero has so much to protect in this world. Which is why I WILL defeat you1

I have figured out one reason I love Iida is because of his animated hand gestures. It is never not delightful when an anime character waves their hands around while speaking. I do hope he and Uraraka get more limelight next season or two, though. I've always loved the Harry/Ron/Hermione dynamic they have with Deku.

Apparently a lot of people love this bunnygirl. I guess she does stuff later, I was not impressed with her 1 minute of screentime so far. I'd rather see more from Yoroi Musha or Wash.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
At this point only League members I can even think of having "good" endings are Spinner and maybe Compress. Everyone else is too bonkers in some way to slow down from current situation.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I remember when I first watched the anime and asked long time fans about Deku's claim that he hit Muscular with 100% of One For All, basically equivalent to an All Might punch. There was some uncertainty about all that as I recall, about how Deku's percentages related to All Might's, because AM is so self-evidently stronger with his punches.

But what about Infinite 100% against Overhaul? This 100% not only lasted longer (technically) but also was way, way stronger than the one he used against Muscular. So how does Infinite 100% Shoot Style Deku compare to a single attack from All Might?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

NikkolasKing posted:

I remember when I first watched the anime and asked long time fans about Deku's claim that he hit Muscular with 100% of One For All, basically equivalent to an All Might punch. There was some uncertainty about all that as I recall, about how Deku's percentages related to All Might's, because AM is so self-evidently stronger with his punches.

But what about Infinite 100% against Overhaul? This 100% not only lasted longer (technically) but also was way, way stronger than the one he used against Muscular. So how does Infinite 100% Shoot Style Deku compare to a single attack from All Might?

Given Infinite 100% was in the air to minimize collateral damage, it's harder to measure

Not to mention how different the execution and application of OfA was for both of them

I daresay it's ay least on par with an All Might punch given what it did to Overhaul going all out against it and still getting shredded

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Sounds like one of those arguments where we go "Well Barry Allen Flash was a Master of Speed Science but Wally West Flash was wearing Speedforce Pants and had no upper limit"

Which is to say OFA100%+♾ is exactly as strong as Deku needs it to be to overcome the challenge in front of him.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Is there a thread to discuss the manga? I can't find it.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Is there a thread to discuss the manga? I can't find it.

Directly under this thread at this precise moment, actually. :v:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

:v: Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Heroes Rising is officially out in North America for those who missed it in theatres, what with the global pandemic and all. I'll probably watch it this weekend.