Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
He did say gently caress Albania though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Why would a proud Albanian man say gently caress Albania?!?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
He said it you son of a bitch

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I don't get this meme

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rarity posted:

I don't get this meme

John Cena said "gently caress Armenia"

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
He didn't say that

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Lid posted:

you son of a bitch

She never says that.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/NickTuths/status/1313705565948796928?s=20

lol

re the Meltzer tweet that ended up in the AEW thread for some reason

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Dave lives in California and specifically said his vote in the presidential election is worthless! It is the most correct statement imaginable!

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, that dude is just wrong. One of the big problems with our voting system is that so many people live in "safe states" so their presidential vote is often "worthless" because it has no impact on the federal election because you need to win the state and it's electoral college votes, not a popular vote. Like, I get wanting to still encourage people to vote but be honest with them about the problems in the system.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
god i hope overwrought twitter threads stop being a thing after the election.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
It is literally mathematically proven that any individual vote is statistically insignificant in an election of any real size under a First Past The Post system. I don't remember the exact figures, but the probability of your vote being the deciding one approaches zero extremely loving fast once as number of voters increases.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Putting aside the wider political discussion (gently caress First Past the Post), I did think it was funny that Dave told a guy whose job is to cover elections that they don't know anything about how elections work. I mean, obviously he didn't know who the guy was, but it's kind of the equivalent of somebody who has no idea who Dave Meltzer is responding to a tweet he made to say,"You clearly don't know how wrestling works."

Of course, plenty of people who DO know who Dave Meltzer is regularly try to tell him he doesn't know how wrestling works too, so maybe nobody would notice.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

Putting aside the wider political discussion, I did think it was funny that Dave told a guy whose job is to cover elections that they don't know anything about how elections work. I mean, obviously he didn't know who the guy was, but it's kind of the equivalent of somebody who has no idea who Dave Meltzer is responding to a tweet he made to say,"You clearly don't know how wrestling works."

Of course, plenty of people who DO know who Dave Meltzer is regularly try to tell him he doesn't know how wrestling works too, so maybe nobody would notice.

The people whose job is is to cover elections are generally extremely bad at their jobs, just FYI.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Jerusalem posted:

Putting aside the wider political discussion (gently caress First Past the Post), I did think it was funny that Dave told a guy whose job is to cover elections that they don't know anything about how elections work. I mean, obviously he didn't know who the guy was, but it's kind of the equivalent of somebody who has no idea who Dave Meltzer is responding to a tweet he made to say,"You clearly don't know how wrestling works."

Dave loves wheeling out his credentials so having someone else wheeling out theirs is funny. I have no opinion on the state of democracy.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Cerebral Bore posted:

It is literally mathematically proven that any individual vote is statistically insignificant in an election of any real size under a First Past The Post system. I don't remember the exact figures, but the probability of your vote being the deciding one approaches zero extremely loving fast once as number of voters increases.

Considering that roughly 45% of all eligible voters don't enter ballots for one reason or another? Yeah. A single vote is literally meaningless.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Let me tell you about being in a country with mandatory voting and a preferential system where the leader is not directly elected by the popylation

... somehow the conservatives still get in charge and their opposition is a non entity in the pandemic to the point i forgot that they existed

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

The people whose job is is to cover elections are generally extremely bad at their jobs, just FYI.

Looked the guy up and he's not actually a journalist, he's a producer/writer that used to work at MSNBC, so Dave has every right to dunk on him

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Anyone who calls themselves an election expert might as well be saying they read the future using tea leaves. It's a fake job, just like Wall Street stock broker or digital guru. Nothing they do actually effects anything and they don't offer any real expertise. If they say voting matters then you can doubly just not listen to them.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jerusalem posted:

It seems like this guy is a basketball reporters with no real following on twitter and no real understanding of presidential politics, so he's right to do so!

Edit: Oh my god he was a producer on the MADDOW SHOW. I am dying.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Oct 7, 2020

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

OctoberCountry posted:

Looked the guy up and he's not actually a journalist, he's a producer/writer that used to work at MSNBC, so Dave has every right to dunk on him

Figures that it'd be some Ryan Satin equivalent who'd pick a fight with Meltzer lol.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Big Dave is right

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Maybe I’m just crazy but downballot votes are super important even if your presidential vote is useless in certain states.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

tao of lmao posted:

Maybe I’m just crazy but downballot votes are super important even if your presidential vote is useless in certain states.

This is the correct take

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
Glad we all agree Dave is right

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

tao of lmao posted:

This is congruous with Dave's original post (where he said he would be voting!)

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1313595629801627649

Like, it's not even a "individual votes are basically meaningless in big elections" argument, which is objectively true but something I could understand people quibbling with. It's "I live in California and my vote in the presidential election doesn't matter because Biden is guaranteed to win and the popular vote does not decide presidential elections." There's nothing to argue with!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

tao of lmao posted:

This is 100% the case. People claiming their vote doesn't matter because it won't pick the president are more harmful than the people claiming they won't vote because their guy wasn't the nominee, imo.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Senerio posted:

This is 100% the case. People claiming their vote doesn't matter because it won't pick the president are more harmful than the people claiming they won't vote because their guy wasn't the nominee, imo.

In a first past the post system your vote does not matter because it is very unlikely to effect the outcome of any race. That anyone at all votes is a paradox studied by political scientists. There is nothing harmful about saying this, it has been said millions of times and studied in depth.

Meanwhile in wrestlers on social media, Kenta Kobashi tested COVID free and urges everyone to wear masks, wash their hands and take precautions.

https://twitter.com/FortuneKK0327/status/1313778715889860609

(The horrible translation that often causes confusion with Japanese wrestlers make it sound like he is telling people to avoid masks.)

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

tao of lmao posted:

Yes. That's also 100% in agreement with what Dave said as he said he was voting even though he knows his presidential vote is useless in California.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

MassRafTer posted:

In a first past the post system your vote does not matter because it is very unlikely to effect the outcome of any race. That anyone at all votes is a paradox studied by political scientists. There is nothing harmful about saying this, it has been said millions of times and studied in depth.

Meanwhile in wrestlers on social media, Kenta Kobashi tested COVID free and urges everyone to wear masks, wash their hands and take precautions.

https://twitter.com/FortuneKK0327/status/1313778715889860609

(The horrible translation that often causes confusion with Japanese wrestlers make it sound like he is telling people to avoid masks.)

Ah, good, means Kobashi will still be on for commentating the N-1 Victory final

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Lid posted:

What wellness violation

For a second I only saw the razors and thought the implication was that he shaved his stomach hair so it'd look like abs shadows.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

MorningMoon posted:

For a second I only saw the razors and thought the implication was that he shaved his stomach hair so it'd look like abs shadows.

Somebody has done this. I can't remember who, but I'm sure someone else here can drudge it up.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

The analogy that dude posted that Dave replied to doesn't even make any loving sense.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Voting is a load of shite meant to placate the masses into thinking that they have any say in their drab little lives while the forces of capital continue to rape the planet unabated.

I feel like pure poo poo I just want Corbyn back. :(

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I'm even with that guy in spirit. Even if you live somewhere that your presidential vote is useless you should go vote for down ballot stuff. Local elections can actually be influenced by you and that stuff impacts your day to day life way more than a lot of people think. It's just that Dave is factually correct (his favorite sort of correct) about his presidential vote in California. And if that discourages people into not voting, that's not Dave's fault. That's the fact that the system working the way it was designed to work is also having an effect of discouraging voters.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Gonzo McFee posted:

Voting is a load of shite meant to placate the masses into thinking that they have any say in their drab little lives while the forces of capital continue to rape the planet unabated.

I feel like pure poo poo I just want Corbyn back. :(

Yeah this is pretty much the truth. If voting did anything the people in control would not allow us to do it.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Dave being yelled at for believing that elections other than the presidential one matter is why Biden voters are voting for 2 years of control at most before ceding everything back to the Republicans.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

:mrgw:

cams
Mar 28, 2003

lock the doors and set this thread on fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

eventually they'll stop talking about it, right. they'll have to at some point