Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Lungboy posted:

I'd suggest the 2019 GE showed that in fact what working class people want is a Tory government.

If retired homeowners are actually 'working class' because they worked in a factory 30 years ago then sure.

Edit: M1911 pistol. Goes well with a blindfold and wall but its no Mosin-Nagant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
There are (possibly were) nice pubs, and there are poo poo pubs.

There are grotty basement dives that are good pubs because I know everyone there, and there are 'spoons that are poo poo.

It has become something like the default English place to go on a night out though, so people are upset about pub closures and curfews as a synecdoche for the night economy in general.

And also because the government won't give a sensible answer to any of the reasoning.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

the sex ghost posted:

Chemical Plant Process Operator. It's a step up from the one they made us do at school when I got 'wig maker'

This is really funny to me because I have a masters in chemical engineering and all my suggestions were like football ref or head of IT.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I got a bunch of complete disparate things, like roustabout (which apparently means oil rig worker and not solely circus odd job man which is what I always thought it meant), dressmaker, factory worker and then some other stuff like teacher or various other training type roles. Pretty wide net there, I would like to be some of those things more than I what I do/have done really but seems unlikely at this point.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

If Labour want me to vote for them maybe they should more policies and positions I like and less that I abjectly hate.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

If Labour want me to vote for them maybe they should more policies and positions I like and less that I abjectly hate.

I have it on good authority that this is purity politics when this is a demand by someone who doesn't want to murder immigrants.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

No, you have to vote for them BECAUSE they offer you nothing you want because that's grownup politics.

Jinkii
Jan 17, 2011
Because of your answers we could not find any job categories to recommend to you,
Centrism the ethos of the lazy!

I selected "It depends" on everything, enjoy wage slavery losers.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Going back a few pages, but when I was hospitalised for asthma, I was put on prednisolone, and went from barely being able to motivate myself to do one lot of dishes a day to finishing 3 short stories, publishing a bunch of collections, completely sorting out our junior football pitch length garden, completed two games and got halfway through sorting the loft before the course ran out.

I cannot overstress the point that steroids make you feel loving incredible. And not in a high way, or a tripping balls way. It just feels deceptively natural - like you, but a very very motivated you. After it happened I assumed it was the upshot of me getting back to normal after a post viral malaise I hadn't even realised I had.

The upshot of this is that Trump is absolutely not going to stop taking them when medically advised to, and that is most likely going to kill him.

I suspect the same is probably true of Boris. Although he probably has the sense to realise he shouldn't keep taking them, but will delude himself that he needs them 'for now,' and then just never downscale his stress to the point that he feels able to cope without them.

Christ I miss prednisolone.

OwlFancier posted:

Politics works for politicians by winning, it doesn't work for very many other people. It makes gently caress all difference to me who wins if they don't do anything.
I honestly think that for some people, their political alignment is about who's more likely to win so that they can feel part of the winning team. Even if that team's victory lap involves murdering everyone who earns less than 50k.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Oh, and apparently I should be a furniture designer. That doesn't seem like a job. That's an activity. You design the sofa, and then it's designed. Then you do a matching set of shelves, maybe some chairs, and then when you're done you stop designing. If you design again it means its going to be worse or the first one wasn't good enough in the first place.

In fact if you design a concept well enough, you can then just have the one concept from which you can extrapolate any possible furniture. Then you're done.

I think this is why I'm so bad at jobs.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Going back a few pages, but when I was hospitalised for asthma, I was put on prednisolone, and went from barely being able to motivate myself to do one lot of dishes a day to finishing 3 short stories, publishing a bunch of collections, completely sorting out our junior football pitch length garden, completed two games and got halfway through sorting the loft before the course ran out.

I cannot overstress the point that steroids make you feel loving incredible. And not in a high way, or a tripping balls way. It just feels deceptively natural - like you, but a very very motivated you. After it happened I assumed it was the upshot of me getting back to normal after a post viral malaise I hadn't even realised I had.

The upshot of this is that Trump is absolutely not going to stop taking them when medically advised to, and that is most likely going to kill him.
TBH I'm starting to think maybe I should give these steroids a go myself

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

TACD posted:

TBH I'm starting to think maybe I should give these steroids a go myself

Steroids are great if you plan on not having (any more) children and don't mind your heart literally exploding in your chest at the age of 45.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Wot about a sofa with a fridge and a toilet in. Probably not a cooker though, in case it burns down

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Put the cooker under the toilet so if theres any problems you can just flush and put it out.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
crispix becoming a furniture designer is also a good reason to stay up to date with your cholera booster.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/flying_rodent/status/1313891243529773059?s=19

Labour MP's saying poo poo like this with a straight face by Christ.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I suspect the same is probably true of Boris. Although he probably has the sense to realise he shouldn't keep taking them, but will delude himself that he needs them 'for now,' and then just never downscale his stress to the point that he feels able to cope without them.

Christ I miss prednisolone.

Have you tried modafinil? Good for that “very competent/getting stuff done” feeling.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Bobby, if you done that job quiz, toss out the results, because your calling was clearly pharmaceutical rep.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

killerwhat posted:

Have you tried modafinil? Good for that “very competent/getting stuff done” feeling.

Licensed only for the treatment of narcolepsy in the UK, apparently.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Oh, and apparently I should be a furniture designer. That doesn't seem like a job. That's an activity. You design the sofa, and then it's designed. Then you do a matching set of shelves, maybe some chairs, and then when you're done you stop designing. If you design again it means its going to be worse or the first one wasn't good enough in the first place.

In fact if you design a concept well enough, you can then just have the one concept from which you can extrapolate any possible furniture. Then you're done.

I think this is why I'm so bad at jobs.

no see once you've achieved the optimal design you're supposed to pivot into IP law and sue all your market competitors who have clearly stolen your ideas, ideas that nobody else could have conceived of and certainly not inherently necessary elements, such as 'legs on a table'.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

mrpwase posted:

Licensed only for the treatment of narcolepsy in the UK, apparently.

Yeah but somehow semi legal - legal to possess but not sell maybe? Various (normal, not darkweb) websites sell it eg modafinilXL.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
The first two I got were actor and commissioning editor. Next, a bunch of computer-touching roles and park ranger. Also several manual jobs such as flooring fitter , joiner and plasterer. I work at a kitchen and bathroom showroom, and we've seriously discussed setting ourselves up as a kitchen fitter team if the business goes under.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

killerwhat posted:

Yeah but somehow semi legal - legal to possess but not sell maybe? Various (normal, not darkweb) websites sell it eg modafinilXL.

I just realised how middle class I am, excuse while I go pick out a nice fabric for my blindfold :suicide:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Why didn't that survey ask me what my rich father does for a living? I assume that's the only way to get a job these days

minema
May 31, 2011
We're moving into a house that needs completely redecorating this month just as work is ramping up enough to make me low key anxious 24/7 with uncertainty. I am starting to feel sick with nerves pretty much all the time and it's just going to get worse for at least the next few weeks.

I know I'm lucky to be able to buy a house and have a reliable job in light of the difficulties other people are facing, but right now I really wish I was working from home and not making GBS threads myself every day.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
So, bit of an odd one to get advice on.

Essentially my fiancee has just dropped a whole "we should think about stockpiling because of brexit" topic on me. This basically means we're doing it or i'm gonna get a lot of grief.

I'm not one for panic buying but it occured to me i know very little about what we do or don't import and, if things do go sideways with brexit, what items might be a bit more difficult to come by in the new year.

We do a big shop monthly for stuff to put in a freezer (topped up by fresh stuff each week) so i was thinking of appeasing the "stockpiling topic" by just getting a few extra tins of things each month.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Important medication that you or your SO need would be the best specific thing to stockpile but otherwise just general food that lasts, that you can use if there is no disruption, and that is cheap/nutritionally complete as much as possible.

The only eventuality you can really plan for is short term food disruption in the manner seen earlier this year triggered by panic buying in response to minor shortages. If the UK actually cannot import food enough to keep people from starving then you're looking at loving societal collapse and everyone's gonna be eating each other so there's not much you can do about that. So short term disruptions are the most likely ones.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

My brexit stockpile is a month's worth of the cheapest thing I can live on without going insane. Chopped tomatoes, tinned beans/chickpeas, pasta, oil, salt, and frozen garlic.

e: did the career quiz, says I should magic money out of thin air to go back to uni for 4 years and become a sonographer

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

OwlFancier posted:

What about the neoliberal wing of labour makes you think they are rationally interested in winning elections by building a united front where all the left and center's interests are represented?

What about society makes you think my interests are not directly in conflict with the interests of the old, gammonly, and wealthy he is trying to court?

What world are you living in where there is some hypothetical "deal" I get to either accept or not accept come election time where I get what I want? What "negotiation" is there?

What the flying gently caress are you on about?

I mean the fact is you literally can't represent the interests of the centre and of the left at the same time.

Centrism stems from one of two things IMO:

A position of privilege - politics has never affected you, you're doing quite well actually, therefore you want things to stay the same. You don't really want to get involved with the "extremes" at either end, you just want the "sensible adults" to be in charge.

Lack of deep political thought, straight up ignorance or being misinformed about the nature of politics, possibly over-belief in politics as a "spectrum".

Neither of these positions put your interests in line with leftists. They are incompatible in fact.

You can be doing well for yourself or in a position of privilege and still be on the left *but* the changes you want to make are for other people rather than for yourself. You may even be worse off because of them - but you care about other people enough that you're willing to take the hit. Also to be a leftist you have to be at least a *little* conscious about power dynamics and how politics actually works, with a sense of justice etc. and while you might believe (broadly) in leftist politics and still be swayed by a centrist like Starmer or Dave Milliband the *actions* that they would have to take to please the centrists are completely incompatible with the actions needed to please the left.

Also there's the little problem that anything which is proclaimed as "centrist" ends up just letting the right in at best, or actively supporting the right at worst.

Centrism is a bankrupt ideology which is only ever reactive. As a leftist you should never "move to the centre" to compromise or win power - if the whole left moves towards the centre, the overton window collapses and the centre moves further rightward, then those people who were calling themselves centrists before will vote for right wing parties.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Kin posted:

So, bit of an odd one to get advice on.

Essentially my fiancee has just dropped a whole "we should think about stockpiling because of brexit" topic on me. This basically means we're doing it or i'm gonna get a lot of grief.

I'm not one for panic buying but it occured to me i know very little about what we do or don't import and, if things do go sideways with brexit, what items might be a bit more difficult to come by in the new year.

We do a big shop monthly for stuff to put in a freezer (topped up by fresh stuff each week) so i was thinking of appeasing the "stockpiling topic" by just getting a few extra tins of things each month.

stockpile euros

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Cool, she's come out with "online lists" now, so at the very least sounds like our cupboards are at least gonna be overflowing with pasta and coffee.

My diet is primarily high protein based (porridge, milk and meat like chicken/beef, tuna etc) so it's not like i can really stockpile any of that kind of stuff for short term disruption unless unless i buy a deep freezer.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would suggest perhaps mixing rice, flour, and frying fat in as well, then you have a variety of staples you can combine with whatever perishables you can get your hands on.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Firos posted:

Steroids are great if you plan on not having (any more) children and don't mind your heart literally exploding in your chest at the age of 45.
Still not seeing the downside, put me down for a selection box

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Kin posted:

Cool, she's come out with "online lists" now, so at the very least sounds like our cupboards are at least gonna be overflowing with pasta and coffee.

My diet is primarily high protein based (porridge, milk and meat like chicken/beef, tuna etc) so it's not like i can really stockpile any of that kind of stuff for short term disruption unless unless i buy a deep freezer.

You could get a nice bag of chocolate smooth whey from myprotein for yourself, and just cut the meat out of your diet entirely

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

TACD posted:

Still not seeing the downside, put me down for a selection box

Your balls will hurt/shrink, your tits will hurt/grow.

E: unless you're a goonette, in which case your tits will hurt/shrink and your balls ???

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

Your balls will hurt/shrink, your tits will hurt/grow.

Also generally on brand for the thread.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

Kin posted:

Porridge, tinned tuna and uht /powdered milk all stockpile well. Peanut butter, tinned salmon/mackerel/fish of the day, lentils and chickpeas will help supplement what you can find in the shop.
Tinned corned beef? You can get steak pie filling as well. Its not *quality* I guess but it's edible and proteiny.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Failed Imagineer posted:

You could get a nice bag of chocolate smooth whey from myprotein for yourself, and just cut the meat out of your diet entirely

Oh man yeah the chocolate smooth is definitely one of the good ones.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Toilet paper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Failed Imagineer posted:

I'm on that already actually. A couple of scoops each day alongside 1/2 a tuna and primula sandwich for lunch. 5kg lasts me about a year at that rate.

I generally eat quite healthy/cost efficiently. It's the loving crisps and "share" bags of chocolate that make me a fat bastard.

edit: powdered milk wasn't something i'd thought about. We go through skimmed milk like it's loving water in this house. We easily drink about 12 pints of milk a wweek between just the two of us.

Kin fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 7, 2020