Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Kimchi Surplus posted:

He forgot to do bug reports, didn't he?

He's not even to the bug reports yet. The first few days were explicitly supposed to be a familiarization run, and then the real bug testing starts. Barring any swerves that's presumably what the narrator is talking about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Straight White Shark posted:

He's not even to the bug reports yet. The first few days were explicitly supposed to be a familiarization run, and then the real bug testing starts. Barring any swerves that's presumably what the narrator is talking about.

NEET's about to learn that game QA is incredible bullshit

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

RBA Starblade posted:

NEET's about to learn that game QA is incredible bullshit

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

ArbitraryC posted:

Neet: this job is perfect for me, I could do it forever
Narrator: He could not

Lol

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Oh no... actual work

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

Devils Affricate posted:

Oh no... actual work

My A NEET's My greatest fear...

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
But if they test EVERY skill on EVERY monster then weird bugs will be found, and then how are players going to do ridiculous things like suplexing a ghost train

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
NEET really thought that Westwood College ad was real.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I know it's just a contrived situation for the sake of the story, but that seems pretty ridiculous. I doubt the monsters or skills execute different code if one or the other changes.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Shadow0 posted:

I know it's just a contrived situation for the sake of the story, but that seems pretty ridiculous. I doubt the monsters or skills execute different code if one or the other changes.

The same code can do wildly different things if you feed it the right (or wrong) variables. The game logic is not super likely to break (although it might if it gets complicated enough) but if nothing else they're going to want to check for graphical glitches: clipping, scaling issues, hosed up animations, etc.

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016
I mean, specific interactions between player and enemy is how a huge amount of glitches are born. For example, killing Lord British with fireballs, beating Giygas with a poisonous snake etc.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Shadow0 posted:

there could be a lot of interactions between different magic and monsters like secondary effects, status effects, damage resistances/weaknesses, and so on that the dev team might want to address to not ship broken poo poo. Also they might want to check for balance reasons, although that seems unlikely for this stage.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Honestly, "use every skill and spell on every monster" is a fairly antiquated way to test. While yes, there could be a bug when you use a specific spell against a specific monster, it's so unlikely that the time spent checking all that is probably better spent elsewhere. The logic of "but you need to check everything!" leads to an endless rabbit hole: well, we've checked every spell on every monster, why not check every spell on every monster with every party member in the group? And then in every area? And then after using every item? Etc.

Instead the more sensible way to test things like this is to test single individual instances of each of the things that could break. In this case, you'd probably have someone test all the fire spells against a single enemy weak to fire to ensure they all are actually flagged as the correct element, then do the same with every ice spell against a different enemy weak to ice, then every lightning spell, etc. That confirms all the weaknesses work and that each spell is flagged properly. A separate test would be to test a single fire spell against an enemy neutral to fire, one resistant to fire, and one that absorbs fire, then repeat for other elements - that way you check that each of the elemental interactions work. Maybe run a third test to check all the elemental weaknesses of each enemy, but only using a single spell of the relevant element per enemy to speed things up. Honestly though a "fight all enemies" test may be superfluous because you can expect all enemies to be fought through other testing such as checking different areas, it's smart to give multiple areas of focus at once - so "check each enemy weakness while testing collision of area 5" or whatever.

Yes this method of testing leaves gaps where bugs could exist. Maybe the devs hosed up setting up one specific enemy somehow, but it's such an edge case that spending hundreds and hundreds of man hours looking for it is just wasting time that could be better spent testing features more likely to break (or more likely to have a bigger impact if they do break, a spell not working properly against a random enemy will likely just result in it not doing the intended amount of damage, boohoo)

All that being said, poorly made test plans are absolutely run this way, and NEET may very well be working at a place being poorly ran like that. Especially 10+ years ago, the mentality of "we need to check every combination of everything!!" was quite common.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

CodfishCartographer posted:

All that being said, poorly made test plans are absolutely run this way, and NEET may very well be working at a place being poorly ran like that.

The Suboptimal Workflow of a Certain NEET

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

All that being said, poorly made test plans are absolutely run this way, and NEET may very well be working at a place being poorly ran like that. Especially 10+ years ago, the mentality of "we need to check every combination of everything!!" was quite common.

According to the timestamp, this panel is from 2008, which is 12 years ago. NEET needs to stop living in the past.

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016
In the best case, NEET becomes disillusioned with video games in his free time and changes hobbies.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Shadow0 posted:

According to the timestamp, this panel is from 2008, which is 12 years ago. NEET needs to stop living in the past.

Yup. I also realize that "test everything lol" also makes for a more compelling story / comedy for our poor dumbass NEET so I'm cool with it

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

NEET's gonna **** and smash the game disk.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Edit: "Offending" word removed, though I was unaware it was supposedly a racist term (George Costanza?), and have certainly never heard it used as one against the Japanese.

BigBadSteve fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Oct 7, 2020

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

don’t say this

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

don’t say this

?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

it's a slur for black people. i will give op benefit of the doubt long enough to change it since it's not a super common one

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

Honestly, "use every skill and spell on every monster" is a fairly antiquated way to test. While yes, there could be a bug when you use a specific spell against a specific monster, it's so unlikely that the time spent checking all that is probably better spent elsewhere. The logic of "but you need to check everything!" leads to an endless rabbit hole: well, we've checked every spell on every monster, why not check every spell on every monster with every party member in the group? And then in every area? And then after using every item? Etc.

Instead the more sensible way to test things like this is to test single individual instances of each of the things that could break. In this case, you'd probably have someone test all the fire spells against a single enemy weak to fire to ensure they all are actually flagged as the correct element, then do the same with every ice spell against a different enemy weak to ice, then every lightning spell, etc. That confirms all the weaknesses work and that each spell is flagged properly. A separate test would be to test a single fire spell against an enemy neutral to fire, one resistant to fire, and one that absorbs fire, then repeat for other elements - that way you check that each of the elemental interactions work. Maybe run a third test to check all the elemental weaknesses of each enemy, but only using a single spell of the relevant element per enemy to speed things up. Honestly though a "fight all enemies" test may be superfluous because you can expect all enemies to be fought through other testing such as checking different areas, it's smart to give multiple areas of focus at once - so "check each enemy weakness while testing collision of area 5" or whatever.

Yes this method of testing leaves gaps where bugs could exist. Maybe the devs hosed up setting up one specific enemy somehow, but it's such an edge case that spending hundreds and hundreds of man hours looking for it is just wasting time that could be better spent testing features more likely to break (or more likely to have a bigger impact if they do break, a spell not working properly against a random enemy will likely just result in it not doing the intended amount of damage, boohoo)

I strongly suspect the answer to this is “no,” but could they be using dev hardware that could at least save the system state, allowing them to revert before a battle and making it unnecessary to find the same enemies over and over? lol

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Japanese companies will always find the least efficient way to do things.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Aino Minako posted:

I strongly suspect the answer to this is “no,” but could they be using dev hardware that could at least save the system state, allowing them to revert before a battle and making it unnecessary to find the same enemies over and over? lol

I haven't tested on PS4 or XBone but test PS3s and 360s didn't have any built-in functionality like this. However, many games have debug tools to help smooth things over, but it varies wildly from game to game, even from the same studio. Sometimes you'll get awesome debug tools that let you access almost everything in the game quickly and easily, from playing cut scenes on demand to jumping to any location to spawning weapons and armor. I haven't tested a jrpg, but I would expect it to at least have the ability to jump to specific areas / dungeons and manually adjust exp and gold. Maybe the ability to encounter specific enemies if NEET is very lucky. Unfortunately, save states / rewinding are pretty rare for debug tools, however often there will be ways to pull/push a save from a previous build. Often this means the qa team will have a library of save files that were made "naturally" and can be pushed to more quickly access areas for test. Using FF7 as an example, they could have a save file after the first reactor, after the second, after leaving midgar, etc. The downside of this is these saves are usually from earlier test builds, and thus can occasionally result in false positive bugs or can just stop working.

Of course, later in a game's lifestyle (usually in the last 3ish months before release) debug will often be stripped out of a game so it doesn't release with debug enabled (this is absolutely happened lmao) so if this company is that late in the life cycle (which they could be, often that's when lots of hiring occurs to crunch) then testing has to happen the old fashioned way, which means for a jrpg getting assigned an endgame area must suck hard lmao

E: in NEET's situation I would expect them to provide him an endgame save file with every area and ability available, then he just gets to go through them all one by one. But as the above poster said its very possible they'll just make him grind that out on his own

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 7, 2020

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
i love this ironic hell

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Alternatively it's like the old cliche where you make a kid smoke the entire carton of cigarettes all it once after catching them smoking once

It will be to NEETs benefit if this puts him off Gaming forever

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

Chill out, NEET. There are two testers so you only need to do 30,000 tests.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
This is what automated testing is for

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

End of Page 15

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Brother Make posted:

End of Page 15

Gotta say, one of the best parts of being a lead tester is finding some lovely repetitive task that you hate doing and telling the coworker you hate to do it.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven

Fumaofthelake posted:

Krillin is the strongest human who has ever existed, put some respect on his name

Now Yamcha...

Professional baseball player, martial artist and actor. Elitist scum.

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

Can't wait for the next instalment of The Weekly Life of a Certain Ex-Sushi Restaurant Kitchen Hand.

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

Sister Make we love you!

(Brother Make is OK too)

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

Sprue
Feb 21, 2006

please send nudes :shittydog:
:petdog:

that point where you realize your job is actual work

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Oda convinces Tohru to keep at the job, offering him an extra wage to snap creepshots of the boss for manga practice.

This is the entire story arc for the next 300 panels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

MyronMulch posted:

Sister Make we love you!

(Brother Make is OK too)

Sorry it took so long to get these new panels out. I was busy playing video games really running into a wall trying to translate this panel busy playing video games.
Apparently these are mostly Dragon Quest references (mixed with a bit of Final Fantasy), but I've never played Dragon Quest, so I had no idea what was going on here until someone pointed it out to me. :eng99:
The slime was misspelled with a "chu" sound, like the chuchus from Zelda so I added a 'c'. :shrug: I had to guess on a few of the others.
If anyone wants to try to figure out some better puns or translations, here's the original:
https://lpix.org/3863270/free16-chart.png
https://dragonquest.fandom.com/wiki/Magic_%26_Abilities