Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
I’ve been thinking about trying a Dissector up front on my hardtail next time around. Still fast rolling and relatively light, but a bit more cornering grip than the standard light/fast options. Dissector was designed as a rear tire, but people seem to like it as a front for more XC/trail type riding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

kimbo305 posted:

But I'm too cowardly to even attempt unmounting the unwobbly rear :negative:
The other option I looked at was a slightly wider and hopefully looser 2.5 DHF. But could also do 2.6 DHF.

Bike shops are dirt cheap for labor. As big of a pain as cushcore sounds, it's probably worth the 20-30 bucks they'd charge to put it on.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

But I'm too cowardly to even attempt unmounting the unwobbly rear :negative:
The other option I looked at was a slightly wider and hopefully looser 2.5 DHF. But could also do 2.6 DHF.

I wouldn't run a 2.5 or 2.6 on my downhill bike, I think it's kinda crazy to consider putting any 2.5 or 2.6 tire on a bike you have to pedal around unless you really find that a 2.4 isn't enough.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Suburban Dad posted:

Bike shops are dirt cheap for labor. As big of a pain as cushcore sounds, it's probably worth the 20-30 bucks they'd charge to put it on.
So I don't blame them, but I took my already mounted wobbly tire to the LBS and they refused to work on it.

I think the calculus was that no hour figure they could quote would be worth the time spent doing that over all the other easy work they have coming now during covid.
If it were unmounted, that'd be one thing, but I can see having to undo my work on a carbon rim might be too much risk to take on.

VelociBacon posted:

I wouldn't run a 2.5 or 2.6 on my downhill bike, I think it's kinda crazy to consider putting any 2.5 or 2.6 tire on a bike you have to pedal around unless you really find that a 2.4 isn't enough.

I've only ridden two plus bikes, and one pedaled ok, and the other was incredibly slow. Both on 3" Dirt Wizards. But yeah, I can't convince myself that 5mm extra width would be the thing that seals the deal.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I grew up riding an original super 8 with Monster Ts and I think 2.7" Nokian gazzaloddis but I'm not 14 anymore and I want agility in my bike!

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I mean you are only talking about 0.1 to 0.2 inches here which is like, within the variation of different tires and wheel widths. Assegai for example only even comes in 2.5 and 2.6.

Also 2.4 on a 30mm wheel is becoming the thing for xc.

jamal fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Oct 3, 2020

Torbo
Jun 12, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

unless its a hardtail, imo

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

It is, fwiw, but I ordered the Dissector 2.4.

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

I'm really liking the Michelin Wild Enduro F/R pair.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I have a very sensible reason for running 2.6 tires: they're what I found on sale when building the bike. :v:

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I created a pair of trailforks routes that combined were 5 miles shorter and 1000' vert less than what my garmin measured. Anyone else have this issue?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Whats all this bullshit about skinny tires?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

n8r posted:

I created a pair of trailforks routes that combined were 5 miles shorter and 1000' vert less than what my garmin measured. Anyone else have this issue?

The climbing could be GPS + altimeter differences but that mileage is a huge gap. Did TrailForks screw something up and drop a trail? Do you possibly have a second GPS track from another ride to verify your file?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Where the Trail Ends is on Amazon Prime right now. Pretty freaking sweet and still amazing 8 years later.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I signed up for my first race in like 3 years. It's the Whole Enchilada at the Whitewater Center. 45-50 miles, enough climbing up make it hurt. I will be doing it this Saturday, 13 days after a crash at the same place.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Got a little bit out of town to do a ride I've been wanting to do for years. Trail 7 in the swan mountains, a little bit to the south of glacier national park

bring your bear spray

Generally this ride gets shuttled, and we sort of did that, by parking a car at the bottom of the road and then driving a little bit up toward the trailhead. Which meant we still had to ride 2k feet up to the start of the trails and then back to the first car on the highway.

You get up there a ways

These mountains are big and pretty remote. Don't gently caress up.

There was a pretty long section of hiking

The new bike worked really well except for when i sliced my rear tire like 10 min into the ride.

hi

we came from over there

jamal fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Oct 5, 2020

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

How dumb of an idea is it to buy a Commencal 29/27.5 downhill bike?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

jamal posted:

Got a little bit out of town to do a ride I've been wanting to do for years. Trail 7 in the swan mountains, a little bit to the south of glacier national park

bring your bear spray

Generally this ride gets shuttled, and we sort of did that, by parking a car at the bottom of the road and then driving a little bit up toward the trailhead. Which meant we still had to ride 2k feet up to the start of the trails and then back to the first car on the highway.

You get up there a ways

These mountains are big and pretty remote. Don't gently caress up.

There was a pretty long section of hiking

The new bike worked really well except for when i sliced my rear tire like 10 min into the ride.

hi

we came from over there

This is extremely my jam. Looks like a great ride and would love to do something similar if I ever made it up to Montana to ride. How exposed did it get at the top?

Ropes4u posted:

If you'll go to the park to enjoy it, do it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Ropes4u posted:

They seem fantastic! Fantastique

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

vikingstrike posted:

If you'll go to the park to enjoy it, do it.

My wife is 100% onboard and the park is close enough to hit every month it’s open.

VelociBacon posted:

They seem fantastic! Fantastique

They are close enough we can torment their shop for a ride, and everything I have read appears positive.

Thanks for the input (validation).

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Ropes4u posted:

My wife is 100% onboard and the park is close enough to hit every month it’s open.

They are close enough we can torment their shop for a ride, and everything I have read appears positive.

Thanks for the input (validation).

Oh, I'm down in Vancouver so if you pick up a DH bike you automatically join my band of merry misfits.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

VelociBacon posted:

I'm down in Vancouver

:thunk:

This thread makes me resent Florida a little. I wish I could live somewhere with access to all your beautiful mtb-friendly mountains (or ANY mountains, for that matter), without giving up having interesting paddling spots.

We do get some cool swampy trails like Alafia, but it's not quite the same.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 5, 2020

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

vikingstrike posted:

This is extremely my jam. Looks like a great ride and would love to do something similar if I ever made it up to Montana to ride. How exposed did it get at the top?

There was a good amount of steep side hill where you really needed to focus on keeping your tires on the trail but nothing really that bad. Phil, who's one of the best riders I know, put his wheel off the edge and went otb at some point behind me and it did throw him off a bit for awhile. There were a number of things we had to walk up but on the way down I can only think of a couple of steep switchbacks that seemed a little too tight to get around coming off this little high point.

But the ridgelines the trail follows were generally flat and wide

There was even a series of little narrow "lakes" up on one

At the same time it's definitely not an easy ride or a mellow trail. Lot of rocks, lot of steep, technical climbing. Would have been a fairly unpleasant day on my old hardtail but was great on the hei hei, and these are the kind of rides I need to do more of with this bike. On my local smooth trails I just notice that it's slower on the climbs. I think I have my suspension mostly figured out and essentially didn't touch the shocks all day- just left them in "trail" mode. Partway down the descent I did switch to open which added just a touch of extra comfort, and we did get going pretty good toward the bottom. We were all on 120mm bikes actually- me on the Hei Hei, Phil and Andrew on Orbea oiz TRs, and Jeremy on an epic evo.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4152637348

jamal fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Oct 5, 2020

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Unsinkabear posted:

This thread makes me resent Florida a little. I wish I could live somewhere with access to all your beautiful mtb-friendly mountains (or ANY mountains, for that matter), without giving up having interesting paddling spots.

I'm down in Vancouver because Commencal is an hour drive north of me! We have paddling here too.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Unsinkabear posted:

sounds like you need to move to Bend Oregon..

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Ropes4u posted:

sounds like you need to move to Bend Oregon..

Don't I wish...

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

RIP Bike Mag: https://www.adventure-journal.com/2020/10/bike-powder-snowboarder-and-surfer-magazines-shut-down/

Have some friends that got their start there and I got to work with their Bible of Bikes crew once, they were top notch all around. Now they're off to join dirt rag at the great printing press in the sky.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Spime Wrangler posted:

RIP Bike Mag: https://www.adventure-journal.com/2020/10/bike-powder-snowboarder-and-surfer-magazines-shut-down/

Have some friends that got their start there and I got to work with their Bible of Bikes crew once, they were top notch all around. Now they're off to join dirt rag at the great printing press in the sky.

That sucks! Bike magazine has some of the coolest bike photography and it was the only magazine left in my subscriptions where I still looked at it in magazine format. Everything else I'm just reading articles these days. I was just considering switching to a physical subscription a few days ago!

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Spime Wrangler posted:

I feel bad for the people that work there.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
can I avoid having to learn how to shift correctly by going to box 1x9? My NX cassette is bent, I assume just from shifting under load

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

How much load, and pics of the cassette?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

feelix posted:

can I avoid having to learn how to shift correctly by going to box 1x9? My NX cassette is bent, I assume just from shifting under load

I hope this is sarcasm. Going with a drivetrain manufacturer that's probably 2nd tier compared to the big ones isn't going to fix the problem. Have some mechanical empathy bro.

pinarello dogman
Jun 17, 2013

The only thing that's second tier to NX is SX.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

And the only thing second teir to SX is box.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

kimbo305 posted:

How much load, and pics of the cassette?

A decently heavy (210lbs) and decently strong (350+ squat) guy just mashing up a short climb as hard as I can, shifting in the middle of it, not giving a gently caress at all

It's hard to get a good pic but it's a small section (like 5 or so teeth) of one of the big cogs bent out away from the wheel.

Suburban Dad posted:

I hope this is sarcasm. Going with a drivetrain manufacturer that's probably 2nd tier compared to the big ones isn't going to fix the problem. Have some mechanical empathy bro.

I don't see what Shimano and SRAM's marketing corporate bullying technical mastery could do to change the strength of steel. I highly doubt that they have some metallurgical expertise that Box lacks when sourcing their components. This is purely an issue of how strong the cogs are, and the thicker cogs of a 1x9 would be stronger.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I need new grips and I'm trying to decide between ODI Rogue lock-on, which is the only grip I have used in the last 15 years, and the ESI Extra Chunky grips, which I have never used. To those who use ESI grips, while they look smooth, I imagine they are very grippy - can you confirm? One thing I like about the Rogues, besides how meaty they are, is that they feel almost tacky to the touch.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

feelix posted:

It's hard to get a good pic but it's a small section (like 5 or so teeth) of one of the big cogs bent out away from the wheel.

I don't see what Shimano and SRAM's marketing corporate bullying technical mastery could do to change the strength of steel. I highly doubt that they have some metallurgical expertise that Box lacks when sourcing their components. This is purely an issue of how strong the cogs are, and the thicker cogs of a 1x9 would be stronger.

Probably construction quality matters more than steel supply choice. If that bent cog was already tilted a little bit toward the chainline, it would magnify the sideload on the cog. Similar if the splines were the least bit loose.

I’d probably be trying to do a JRA warranty case with SRAM first before committing to losing 3 gears.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

feelix posted:

A decently heavy (210lbs) and decently strong (350+ squat) guy just mashing up a short climb as hard as I can, shifting in the middle of it, not giving a gently caress at all

Shift earlier and softer

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

me your dad posted:

I need new grips and I'm trying to decide between ODI Rogue lock-on, which is the only grip I have used in the last 15 years, and the ESI Extra Chunky grips, which I have never used. To those who use ESI grips, while they look smooth, I imagine they are very grippy - can you confirm? One thing I like about the Rogues, besides how meaty they are, is that they feel almost tacky to the touch.

You need to try OURY grips, they're perfect. I've been using them for a couple seasons, switched from rogues, they're the perfect grip. The non-lock-on ones are the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

feelix posted:

Sounds like your technique could use some work, but by all means waste money on something that isn't the part's fault. If I find out I'm in the wrong gear up a climb I'll slow my pedaling down until the chain has fully switched over then continue hammering, or just hike a bike. You probably hammered on it when it was only partially meshed (since it's like 5 teeth) so load will increase significantly as there's less surface area of contact. Even on flat roads you should pause hard pedaling while shifting.

Also the new shimano 12 speeds supposedly shifts pretty great under load without grinding, so they have something figured out that the others don't. Probably patents that the others don't have access to.

VelociBacon posted:

You need to try OURY grips, they're perfect. I've been using them for a couple seasons, switched from rogues, they're the perfect grip. The non-lock-on ones are the best.
Still liking the V2 lock on ones I bought for both my bikes this year. The rogues rotated a bit when locked down which drove me crazy. Only problemy I have with the ourys is that you have to hold the silicone out of the way while tightening them down or the screws will catch on the edge and rip a bit off. Didn't notice it when I put the first one on. Now I've crashed enough that they're rashed up enough anyway to not matter. :v:

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 7, 2020