Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He obviously meant the only one in The Boys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
she's also named "the female of the species" based on a poem about how women are more powerful than men

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

radmonger posted:

This is complicated by the fact that significant aspects of the Nazi ideology that are false in the real world are shown as being true in the show. Homelander really is meaningfully superior to everyone else, in ways that really matter. The show has gone out of its way to state that one homelander-level super is at least the military equal of an armored division, and maybe the entire US military. And also that the ability to biologically absorb and process compound V is at least genetic, and probably racial. Not only are all the strongest and stablest supers white, both major black supes shown as having critical health issues. And a third world guerrilla group with access to a limited supply of V chose to use it all on its two Japanese captives, presumably on the grounds they had no Aryans available.

If ‘racial superiority leads to winning wars’ is true in your show, then Nazis are merely bad, not wrong.

This means that things that would work in the real world would not work in the show. People’s behavior adjusts to reality, not vice versa. Homelander would kill some of the kids he played with, and that would not lead to him being punished, but accepted as normal. Just like Henry VIII killed some of the women he married, and that was accepted as normal.

At the start of the show, Vought has done a heroic job of restraining Homelander, and so maintaining the facade of an apparently-capitalist society over something that would, absent that heroic effort, naturally be something different. That most people are not actually aware that supes can and will kill them for fun is probably unrealistic and unsustainable. The show is merely presenting the process of that unstable status quo unravelling.

I don’t like going straight to a :biotruths: racial explanation for super powers (actually I really don’t like it, because races aren’t even biologically coherent). Like in real life, disparity in outcomes across race lines can probably be attributed to structural factors. A-Train has to abuse V because his entire career depends on having milliseconds of edge. Vought was probably pretty racist in selecting black kids for their trials. Fewer black supes means fewer rolls of the dice and fewer chances of a really stable and powerful one.

I really don’t think that white people make better supers in this show’s world.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
When are we going to get to see someone take V and get turned into a corncob or something

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

moist turtleneck posted:

When are we going to get to see someone take V and get turned into a corncob or something

turns out all the headsploding was just perfectly timed, but random, V side effects after HL just dumped gallons of it into the water supply

they did mention(SF i think?) that they've had exploded heads when trying it on adults...

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Stillwell is a man in the comics, Becca gets fridged pre-storyline. You'd be very hard-pressed to find a female character in the comic that isn't a) a sex worker, b) getting raped or c) implausibly loving Butcher every time they meet. Ennis is way too edgelord to write a female main character hence Kimiko having no name and no lines.

jabby fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 7, 2020

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

jabby posted:

Stillwell is a man in the comics, Becca gets fridged pre-storyline. You'd be very hard-pressed to find a female character in the comic that isn't a) a sex worker, b) getting raped or c) implausibly loving Butcher every time they meet. Ennis is way too edgelord to write a female main character hence Kimiko having no name and no lines.

Sorry, thought you were talking about the show there.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

alexandriao posted:

The best thing they could have done with that kid was put him in society

The experience of being 8 years old and accidentally getting angry and blowing your schoolmate' head open, or accidentally slicing someone's leg off, or pushing someone so hard their arm breaks or spine fractures, while horrible, would traumatise you enough that you would respect and fear the power you have.

The problem with the supes so far is that they have no respect for their power. It's like kids who have had safety scissors all their lives being given real scissors and cutting themselves with them accidentally -- they too have no understanding of the scissors being dangerous, no understanding of the harm they cause, and no comprehension of the personal and general risk.

fake edit: I'm not actually saying that they should let this kid accidentally slice another kid open, that's hyperbole and exaggeration to make a point. What I'm saying is raising this kid up without any understanding or respect for or control of his powers, is a ticking time bomb.

Him having no relationships and no relation to other children is a ticking time bomb. It easier to buy in to the Nazi ideals if you have barely had any experiences with actual people, and the first experience you have with them is a parental figure (not that HL is that, but) telling you that you're better than them.

Even if the kid never uses his powers, him having those connections would at a later stage give him inner conflict of "These are my friends, my family".

I've mentioned it before but if you want to see this put into practice the comic "Irredeemable" has a very similar evil hero origin story.

The upshot is that yes, it's super traumatising for a six-year-old to push a fellow child and explode them into pulp because in one second they lose their friends, neighbours, schoolmates and basically become a child-murdering monster in the eyes of everyone who knows them.

In fact that's where the title comes from, the hero eventually snaps because in his eyes all it takes is one tiny mistake, one momentary poor decision or loss of focus that normal people are allowed all the time, to make him "irredeemable" and never able to be forgiven.

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Sorry, thought you were talking about the show there.

The show really does a good job of improving things, and giving Kimiko a name, backstory and characterisation beyond "mute feral animal" really helps.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

jabby posted:

Yeah, the strongest female character Ennis has ever written was Kathryn O'Brien in the Punisher Max storyline, and even then she was a crass caricature who 1) was raped by dozens of Afghani warlords and 2) implausibly hosed Frank every time (twice) they met.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I liked Irredeemable because literally what sets him down the path of evil (until you see his origin) is two teenagers in the back of a crowd making fun of his costume and him picking it up with his super-hearing

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

jabby posted:

I like the comics where Huey is severely pissed at Annie for getting raped before she even met him to the point where he can't even stomach looking at her face. She has to track him down to his home country to apologize to him.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
Christ alive, they made a coloring book

https://twitter.com/therealKripke/status/1313868376784035840

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Blaise330 posted:

I like the comics where Huey is severely pissed at Annie for getting raped before she even met him to the point where he can't even stomach looking at her face. She has to track him down to his home country to apologize to him.

Yeah thats some poo poo I'm sure glad ain't in the show.

I think it feels really fun not having an obvious outcome, and this show I think has been p good at avoiding the obvious lazy solution out of something they've written into it. There are lots of ways they could take the plots they've setup, and it's cool feeling like there is just so much opportunity with what could happen.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 7, 2020

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Blaise330 posted:

Jesus Christ. I said it before and I'll say it again, everything I hear about the comic is just the most disgusting 12 year old edgelordy bullshit. Who the hell edits his work?

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018

Azhais posted:

she's also named "the female of the species" based on a poem about how women are more powerful than men

Eh, the poem is about how women are more vicious than men and, consequently, why patriarchal control is preferable as a mercy for everyone. It’s not a feminist poem by any real measure, though it is a fun literary reference and certainly more interesting than what people are presenting calling her “The Female” as.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

General Battuta posted:

I don’t like going straight to a :biotruths: racial explanation for super powers (actually I really don’t like it, because races aren’t even biologically coherent). Like in real life, disparity in outcomes across race lines can probably be attributed to structural factors. A-Train has to abuse V because his entire career depends on having milliseconds of edge. Vought was probably pretty racist in selecting black kids for their trials. Fewer black supes means fewer rolls of the dice and fewer chances of a really stable and powerful one.

I really don’t think that white people make better supers in this show’s world.

The show seems to be trying to have it both ways with Supes being an allegory for racism/racial-supremism, while at the same time having actual straight up racism. Stormfront in particular states that she only actually cares about supes vs non-supes, but is also very clearly traditionally racist.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

...Is that Homelander drinking the breastmilk?

And that picture of Kimiko ripping the dude's face off is actually loving awesome lmao

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

As Nero Danced posted:

Jesus Christ. I said it before and I'll say it again, everything I hear about the comic is just the most disgusting 12 year old edgelordy bullshit. Who the hell edits his work?

Even Hughie gets sexually assaulted in the comics. Black Noir sticks his finger up Hughies rear end and when he reveals it to the team they all laugh at him.

He was assaulted for no reason other than the boys to make fun of him.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
That's basically hughie's entire purpose in the comics

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

Eh, the poem is about how women are more vicious than men and, consequently, why patriarchal control is preferable as a mercy for everyone. It’s not a feminist poem by any real measure, though it is a fun literary reference and certainly more interesting than what people are presenting calling her “The Female” as.

She's The Female because the comic is called The Boys and she's not a boy. The poem/song is just a vessel for that.

Beef Stew
Dec 27, 2009

Blaise330 posted:

Holy poo poo, I always thought Butcher had intentionally taken a portion of the tape out of context and lied to gently caress with Hughie and turn him against Starlight. Which is still terrible and dumb but it's somehow worse that the main character, who is supposed to be a genuinely good guy we identify with and root for, sees his girlfriend get sexually assaulted and immediately defaults to blaming her.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Beef Stew posted:

Holy poo poo, I always thought Butcher had intentionally taken a portion of the tape out of context and lied to gently caress with Hughie and turn him against Starlight. Which is still terrible and dumb but it's somehow worse that the main character, who is supposed to be a genuinely good guy we identify with and root for, sees his girlfriend get sexually assaulted and immediately defaults to blaming her.

The same main character who gives Butcher a hard time for using homophobic slurs but then feels exceptionally uncomfortable at the idea of merely entering a gay bar.

We need a :that's ennis:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

She's The Female because the comic is called The Boys and she's not a boy. The poem/song is just a vessel for that.

She's called The Female and the comics called The Boys because Garth Ennis writes as a barely human edgeboy full of toxic, juvenile, and antiquated ideas about humanity and masculinity. The poem/song is just backfill for a hack's hacky hackwork.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Lmao love this new generation of hot takes about how Ennis is an edge lord, as if that wasn’t A) the entire point, B) incredibly successful, and C) ultimately a legacy that impacted some of the biggest names in Hollywood and informed popular culture for years to come.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

they did mention(SF i think?) that they've had exploded heads when trying it on adults...

It was Lamplighter, but he said "sometimes they explode", not their heads, specifically.

Also, when Homelander was describing how he made Supe Terrorists, he said it was "very messy" injecting adults and he now understood why Vought didn't, but he didn't get more specific than that.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
New generation? People were saying this when I was a literal edgelord teenage boy and it was apparent even as I was eagerly awaiting to see God get killed. Garth Ennis is great for the seed of an interesting story, you just don't wanna have him around as the gardener when almost anyone else will do more with it. Since his point is being edgy, it's obviously totally fair to mock him for it. You ever seen Crossed? Garth Ennis is just putting babies in a blender made out blended babies that he hosed because he's still the jnco kid in the trailer park with an older brother marine who puts firecrackers in cats butts

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

Lmao love this new generation of hot takes about how Ennis is an edge lord, as if that wasn’t A) the entire point, B) incredibly successful, and C) ultimately a legacy that impacted some of the biggest names in Hollywood and informed popular culture for years to come.

That's Mark Millar. More people will read this post than Garth Ennis' work.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bust Rodd posted:

.....what

Sir this is a Boys thread

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

The same main character who gives Butcher a hard time for using homophobic slurs but then feels exceptionally uncomfortable at the idea of merely entering a gay bar.

Yeah, this was a big clue for me that Ennis is actually a lovely person rather than just a deliberate edgelord. The classic 'politically correct character turns out to be the real racist, and the guy constantly screaming the N-word is actually tolerant and totally cool and it's just banter'.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Romes128 posted:

That's so dumb it wasn't even in the comics, which is full of dumb poo poo.

Dumb as hell but Noir being MMs irradiated brother sounds dope to me

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

That's Mark Millar. More people will read this post than Garth Ennis' work.

Yeah, Millar is a *slightly* restrained Ennis, but even in Nemesis he goes full on loving :what: when the "what if Bruce Wayne decided to be a supervillain instead of Batman" villain kidnaps the protagonist's son and daughter and impregnates the daughter with his gay son's sperm and (I swear I'm not making this up) rigs her 'womb' to 'collapse' if an abortion is attempted. Oh, and that's *after* he murders every single person in the Pentagon with nerve gas. I should also note that this was put out under the Marvel badge, not some indie or Dynamite.

I'm honestly convinced some of these plots are a contrived challenge to see who can get the sickest and most disturbing poo poo greenlit, and Ennis ultimately won with Crossed.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 7, 2020

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Let he whose first name isn't 'Garth' and last name doesn't rhyme with penis cast the first stone....

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

General Battuta posted:

Goons please stop coming up with weird ‘what really happened’ stories about Homelander’s rape crime, it’s weird. And if Homelander were somehow not to blame the child wouldn’t have Homelander powers.

Disregard, I was pages behind.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Fionordequester posted:

In a 3-panel fight that gets resolved off-screen. Butcher comes out completely unscathed, as a result.

To be fair, Butcher got the gently caress out of there right after the exposition part but before the fighting started between the two most powerful people on Earth.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

As Nero Danced posted:

Reading the last page, I'm abundantly curious what the mid-metoo 2017 sales pitch was for this.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Avasculous posted:

Reading the last page, I'm abundantly curious what the mid-metoo 2017 sales pitch was for this.

Supposedly George Clooney was in talks to play Nick Fury when Marvel was sketching out the MCU cast list. Ennis had done a very Ennis "MAX" comic back in 2001-2002, and it somehow found its way into Clooney's hands for his researching of the role. Ol' George was evidently so reviled by it (it's actually pretty tame compared to most of Ennis' stuff) that he pulled himself out of consideration.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
God that could almost be in character. Good to know Jack Quaid is just as much of a nerd in real life as in the show. He's probably a goon along with that one DJ, John Stewart and the the wrestler Kane.

Blaise330 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldda7vhmuxU

Zaphod42 posted:

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, Millar is a *slightly* restrained Ennis, but even in Nemesis he goes full on loving :what: when the "what if Bruce Wayne decided to be a supervillain instead of Batman" villain kidnaps the protagonist's son and daughter and impregnates the daughter with his gay son's sperm and (I swear I'm not making this up) rigs her 'womb' to 'collapse' if an abortion is attempted. Oh, and that's *after* he murders every single person in the Pentagon with nerve gas. I should also note that this was put out under the Marvel badge, not some indie or Dynamite.

I'm honestly convinced some of these plots are a contrived challenge to see who can get the sickest and most disturbing poo poo greenlit, and Ennis ultimately won with Crossed.

I know I've been out of comics for a bit (until right now - thank you Covid) but jesus... I always thought the edgelord shite was an exaggeration. I haven't read Wanted since I was a teen watching the movie. How bad is it? I remember liking that and Kick rear end but haven't revisited it in ages. Comics are weird as I remember being the same age as Damien Wayne and loved him and now.... well he's not Robin anymore but still a teen and I'm OLD. Also Miles Morales is B tier in the comic but glad Into the Spider-Verse blew up as he was a favourite. I remember liking the Ultimates but have a hunch it didn't age well either. Still surprised Static never got big as that cartoon was amazing as a kid. So are like half the comics I liked back in the day secretly something awful?

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

His comics are terrible and the only way to make a good show out of them is to change basically everything, which is exactly what they did.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
go look up the Crossed comic if you want to see some real gross poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
Crossed is practically un-adaptable, since if you were to jettison the dumb edgelord poo poo there's literally nothing left. It's just a completely worthless premise.

Asgerd fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 7, 2020