Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

20 Blunts posted:

hmph. i don't have PMs but thought gently caress it time for a plat upgrade, i can't get it to work though, are payments not being taken right now because of lowtax poo poo?

i basically started working with the company im at when i was 20 and now im in my late 20s and ready to move on. i started as a hired hand and then took over the office duties for about 5 years now. Im in an industry that kind of straddles what you would call "unskilled" and "skilled" labor. I'm the management side of that, and so my gig is kind of cushy but getting stale. So I'm just stuck with a single bullet point on my resume, other than 18 years old working at sears...My bachelor's degree is in philosophy from a pretty respected state school.

I have excellent phone skills and organization, definitely have hosed with some management software and I might be able to work tech support at Quickbooks at this point. I juggled business side poo poo and also the owner's personal affairs so I'm good with sorting out problems. I think this 6 month job sounds like a good regrouping period for me doing something that is pretty drat important. I don't think the technical side of it really intimidates me much.

And honestly I'm a bit of a boomer whisperer so I think they might just need my services. Like 2/3 of my clients right now are homeowning boomers, they go from 0-60 getting pissed about minuscule poo poo all the time, but i've honed some strategies to reel em in over the years.

If you don't mind doing cold calls and have worked customer service stuff before, then you will basically have all the skills you need for doing this. Its not particularly difficult. How much you will actually enjoy doing the work depends on your personality. The vast majority of people you talk to are cooperative, with there being a few jerks and conspiracy theorists every now and then, but you can just end those calls. The other end of the spectrum is where you call and it turns out that person died, or their household member just died from covid which can be emotional. Again, doesn't come up too often but it does happen. I wouldn't say you need to be that tech savvy. In CA we use a version of web based Salesforce to track everything. It gets frequent updates and breaks a lot, lol. Depending on how your health department is organized, you can be talking to cases (those that test positive), contacts, or handling both. Being patient helps, people you talk to will give conflicting information, flat out wrong information, or refuse completely. As you've mentioned, part of the job is building rapport so that they give you the important stuff. Working from home is really nice, but everyone knows that :)

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Well I'm going to toss my resume on the pile tonight and maybe I'll just end up serving are country after all!

Mrs. Sexual
Feb 3, 2020
Seems like a noble cause imo

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

quoting from the PYF Tweets thread (you probably have to click the tweet to see the full first picture)

greazeball fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 7, 2020

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

20 Blunts posted:

hmph. i don't have PMs but thought gently caress it time for a plat upgrade, i can't get it to work though, are payments not being taken right now because of lowtax poo poo?

i basically started working with the company im at when i was 20 and now im in my late 20s and ready to move on. i started as a hired hand and then took over the office duties for about 5 years now. Im in an industry that kind of straddles what you would call "unskilled" and "skilled" labor. I'm the management side of that, and so my gig is kind of cushy but getting stale. So I'm just stuck with a single bullet point on my resume, other than 18 years old working at sears...My bachelor's degree is in philosophy from a pretty respected state school.

I have excellent phone skills and organization, definitely have hosed with some management software and I might be able to work tech support at Quickbooks at this point. I juggled business side poo poo and also the owner's personal affairs so I'm good with sorting out problems. I think this 6 month job sounds like a good regrouping period for me doing something that is pretty drat important. I don't think the technical side of it really intimidates me much.

And honestly I'm a bit of a boomer whisperer so I think they might just need my services. Like 2/3 of my clients right now are homeowning boomers, they go from 0-60 getting pissed about minuscule poo poo all the time, but i've honed some strategies to reel em in over the years.

ive just queued up platinum for you, dont give lowtax any more money

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

If you don't mind doing cold calls and have worked customer service stuff before, then you will basically have all the skills you need for doing this. Its not particularly difficult. How much you will actually enjoy doing the work depends on your personality. The vast majority of people you talk to are cooperative, with there being a few jerks and conspiracy theorists every now and then, but you can just end those calls. The other end of the spectrum is where you call and it turns out that person died, or their household member just died from covid which can be emotional. Again, doesn't come up too often but it does happen. I wouldn't say you need to be that tech savvy. In CA we use a version of web based Salesforce to track everything. It gets frequent updates and breaks a lot, lol. Depending on how your health department is organized, you can be talking to cases (those that test positive), contacts, or handling both. Being patient helps, people you talk to will give conflicting information, flat out wrong information, or refuse completely. As you've mentioned, part of the job is building rapport so that they give you the important stuff. Working from home is really nice, but everyone knows that :)

If I were interested in applying for something like that, would I just go to my state's website? Or is there a centralized website for everywhere?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I dont have any experience with it, but it also has the benefit of being, you know, a net benefit for society. So by that measure it's probably a pretty good gig.

Otoh you'll have uncooperative people threatening to murder you all day for trying to spy on them and take away their freedoms, and it will be your job to keep calling them until they cooperate. So maybe not so good for your mental health.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Vaccine trip report day 3: had trouble sleeping last night (not from discomfort just in general), all symptoms were gone this morning. Feeling great and my immune system is so powerful it's igniting falling leaves if they drift too close.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

where do i apply

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Georgia demands contact tracers work in call centers which ...

Thus, can one apply for the job with a different state's health agency?

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Here in Switzerland, things are starting to tick upwards and they're finally requiring masks inside of stores and poo poo starting next week I think. Some cantons had been requiring it for some time now, but now it's nationwide. It's fall here and it just isn't fun to hang out outside anymore. And I think people had started to get a little complacent.

I had also gotten back from a trip to the states. There was nobody on the plane. It was surreal. BUT, I had to quarantine in my apartment when I got back, 10 days. Luckily we could go in the backyard, but I got a little stir crazy by the end. Oh and I have a toddler.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Has anyone else set any personal milestones/guardrails for 'when to start acting normal again'? Personally, I'll get involved in youth soccer again when MLS allows fans in stadiums without restrictions, and not before. As for eating in a restaurant/going to a bar? Not until the servers don't have to mask up.

I have a feeling like it's gonna be a while before I have an outing

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

boar guy posted:

As for eating in a restaurant/going to a bar? Not until the servers don't have to mask up.

The problem is that this depends on where you live and the politicians in charge of your area as these rules or laws aren't being made on scientific recommendations everywhere. Go to Florida and your server won't be wearing a mask.

ADudeWhoAbides
Mar 30, 2010

boar guy posted:

As for eating in a restaurant/going to a bar? Not until the servers don't have to mask up.

It’s one of two things for me: either the virus mutates to a less lethal strain where it really does act like the flu (hopefully without the long hauler effects) or we get a vaccine. I’m a 40 year (:corsair:) old college student with a year and a half left and I’m expecting to finish school online.

mindstorm
Jan 28, 2011

Smellrose
For me, the guardrail is "after i get hit with a working vaccine" as well as cases in my area basically dropping to nothing as a result. I'm high risk, but just in case irony strikes and i become asymptomatic i don't want to accidentally kill somebody who is also high risk. I'll keep ordering from delivery services and tipping extra so people who keep me alive can buy PPE that is more effective against the rat lickers.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

boar guy posted:

Has anyone else set any personal milestones/guardrails for 'when to start acting normal again'? Personally, I'll get involved in youth soccer again when MLS allows fans in stadiums without restrictions, and not before. As for eating in a restaurant/going to a bar? Not until the servers don't have to mask up.

You might wanna start picking sane states and not just leagues:

https://twitter.com/JonAlba/status/1313888305692409857

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I've accepted "this is it, this is the rest of life now, we're never going back to the old normal." Which is fine with me, I like having a permanent excuse to never have to be around my extended family ever again.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

bollig posted:

Here in Switzerland, things are starting to tick upwards and they're finally requiring masks inside of stores and poo poo starting next week I think. Some cantons had been requiring it for some time now, but now it's nationwide. It's fall here and it just isn't fun to hang out outside anymore. And I think people had started to get a little complacent.

I had also gotten back from a trip to the states. There was nobody on the plane. It was surreal. BUT, I had to quarantine in my apartment when I got back, 10 days. Luckily we could go in the backyard, but I got a little stir crazy by the end. Oh and I have a toddler.

The new mask requirements are only in cantons Bern and Zug I believe. They've been in place in Fribourg (where I work) for a few weeks already but we have exceptions in the classrooms so the students can all take their masks off if they sit 1.5 meters apart and I can take mine off if I stand in a taped box on the floor or otherwise apart from them. It's going great so far! Only two students have tested positive after having been in class and so now I have about 20-25 students quarantined at home doing hybrid classes. There's about 450 people in their bachelor's program so you hardly notice! Also these are only the students in my classes, and I've had to gather the info from students because management just left admin out to dry with all the extra reporting duties so nobody has any kind of overview. They just rely on the canton doctor issuing quarantine orders and trust us teachers to just plan for hybrid lessons just in case people want them! Actually, I did just get an email from a dean this afternoon, apparently the canton doctor just quarantined an entire class (which I taught yesterday!) but the email was just to say that their class will be 100% remote for the next two weeks. I'm so proud of our brave management team who decided that we'll just stubbornly press on with in-person at all costs so that when we're actually forced to close as many people will be sick as possible and everyone will know that leadership honestly believes death to be preferable to distance learning!

Anyway, to add something substantive, it's a bit more than a tick... nationwide we jumped back to almost peak-lockdown numbers of new infections yesterday:

Keep in mind we only have 8.5 million people in the country if you think the numbers seem low. It's true the hospital admissions are still pretty low, but you can see in the graph that they add these in for up to a week after the fact. We're also rather spread out so any hotspots can quickly require sick patients being moved to other areas which is why there's some alarm from the health department about this latest jump. I think the holidays are going to be a shitshow here with everyone visiting family and going on ski holidays and cramming into gondolas and jacuzzis and stuff and I don't know if the federal government has the balls to gently caress with that.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Someone told me that actuarial models are already calculating for lower life expectancy due to covid, not just people dying but the long term effects combined with pollutants, obesity, asthma, diabetes, etc. Basically anything targeting the lungs or heart is going to be more deadly in the future when many people have had covid before

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Soysaucebeast posted:

If I were interested in applying for something like that, would I just go to my state's website? Or is there a centralized website for everywhere?

boar guy posted:

where do i apply

Could either be your state or your county. In California it is most likely going to be hiring through your county. Maybe if you live in a small state it could just be your state hiring contact tracers? I do work with a lot of state workers that have been redirected to do contact tracing though. Hiring should still be ongoing, look for disaster service worker positions. I was laid off from my county's public library so they placed me in a benefited Project position which had a different title than the temporary Disaster service workers though.

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 7, 2020

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

boar guy posted:

Realistically I don't plan on doing anything in the social sphere until a vaccine is developed and I have taken it. I do plan on skiing this winter, but will not utilize the lodges in any capacity. That, I think, will be pretty safe as it is outside and hopefully out of close proximity of others. I also intend to only ski weekdays, to avoid crowded lift lines. I don't see myself going out to eat or to a bar for a long, long time.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Play posted:

Someone told me that actuarial models are already calculating for lower life expectancy due to covid, not just people dying but the long term effects combined with pollutants, obesity, asthma, diabetes, etc. Basically anything targeting the lungs or heart is going to be more deadly in the future when many people have had covid before

This thing is less than a year old. We simply don't have long term data to really accurately make models. Could it have long term effects that themselves can cause more complications and lower life expectancy? Sure. But we wont truly know for years.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

enjoy some german covid stats

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
When the pandemic is clearly burning out fast enough that relaxing isn't just gonna drag it out, and there are measures like border quarantines and test and trace to make sure it stays eliminated.
It's gonna be a while but I can wait.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Mithaldu posted:

enjoy some german covid stats

Here in Kentucky, we have had around 74,000 cases. Anout 47,000 of those are below the age of 50. Of those 47,000, we have 32 deaths. Age and preexisting conditions really help. I would be more interested to know this by month as treatments have become better.

We do have around 1200 deaths.

strategery fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Oct 8, 2020

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

boar guy posted:

Probably fall of next year. Earliest I think a safe vaccine will be widely available, plus whatever treatment plans they've had a chance to perfect from 21 months of COVID care.

I have resumed in person shopping though, since I have a PAPR now and give no fucks.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

strategery posted:

Here in Kentucky, we have had around 74,000 cases. Anout 47,000 of those are below the age of 50. Of those 47,000, we have 32 deaths. Age and preexisting conditions really help. I would be more interested to know this by month as treatments have become better.

We do have around 1200 deaths.

focusing on the deaths is missing the point

last page i posted mama merkel doing a little explanation session, please watch

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I suspect a vaccine will be available in big cities more quickly, since logistics are probably easier in hubs. I am hoping that local high vaccination rates will make community spread impractical. These might be overly optimistic ideas.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Scarodactyl posted:

I am hoping that local high vaccination rates will make community spread impractical. These might be overly optimistic ideas.

CNN has been polling Americans to see whether they'd take a vaccine if it became widely available at low cost

In May, 66% said they would

In August, 56% said they would

At the start of October, that had dropped to 51%

quote:

Poll responses also appear to vary by demographic.

Sixty percent of those aged 65 and older said they would try to get a vaccine. Among those younger than 45, 49% said they would try. In October, 58% of men compared with 45% of women said they would try to get vaccinated; 56% of White people compared with 44% of people of color said they would try.

Responses varied by politics, too -- 42% of people who approve of President Donald Trump compared with 59% of those who disapprove said they would try to get a Covid-19 vaccine.

In May, 51% of Trump supporters said they would try to get a vaccine, in August, it was 38% and in October, it was 41%. In May, 79% of supporters of Democratic nominee Joe Biden said they would seek a vaccine and in August, it was 74%. In October, it shrunk to 60%.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/he...JM3r?li=BBnba9O

Also the CDC has already said that even if a vaccine becomes available in November this year it'd be in "very limited" supply at first and wouldn't be widely available until mid 2021 because it's an insanely huge project so it'll be difficult for people to take it even if they want to

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Depending on how the election turns out, a thorough staffing reexamination followed by a fresh vaccine review might increase public willingness to trust a vaccine.

Alternatively, vaccines approved by health agencies in countries with functioning governments might work.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I am assuming a lot of that (if the numbers are actually meaningful before any vaccine is available) will subside when Trump is out of office and after the first wave of high-risk people are vaccinated and don't die of covid or it. Also perhaps overly optimistic.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Atopian posted:

Depending on how the election turns out, a thorough staffing reexamination followed by a fresh vaccine review might increase public willingness to trust a vaccine.

Alternatively, vaccines approved by health agencies in countries with functioning governments might work.

One reason Trump is afraid Biden will win is he will come in and get to say "You fired!" to more Trump appointees than Trump did on his stupid reality show.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Diehard Anti-vaxxers won't get the vaccine unless someone they know gets a debilitating or fatal case. The truest of the truest believers could watch one of their children die of it and they still wouldn't vaccinate their other kids.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Scarodactyl posted:

I suspect a vaccine will be available in big cities more quickly, since logistics are probably easier in hubs. I am hoping that local high vaccination rates will make community spread impractical. These might be overly optimistic ideas.

Considering that most of what I have read indicates they're aiming for functional immunity and not sterilizing immunity, they may not actually prevent spread. Just the vaccinated people will be much less likely to have strong reactions.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/05/22/the-world-needs-covid-19-vaccines-it-may-also-be-overestimating-their-power/

quote:

Ideally, vaccines would prevent infection entirely, inducing what’s known as “sterilizing immunity.” But early work on some of the vaccine candidates suggests they may not stop infection in the upper respiratory tract — and they may not stop an infected person from spreading virus by coughing or speaking.
the gap between the haves and the have nots grows by the day

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

So people with the vaccine could spread it while avoiding the symptoms? Lol

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
everyone is waiting for a widely rolled out vaccine that will grant perfect immunity and lol we're all so so hosed

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Delta-Wye posted:

Considering that most of what I have read indicates they're aiming for functional immunity and not sterilizing immunity, they may not actually prevent spread.
It's true they may not which would be a major bummer. I don't think there's necessarily any reason to think they can't, but it's possible. I think the main reason for those trial endpoints is that it's a lot harder to test sterilizing immunity--for the trial we just report once a week if we have any covidy symptoms and it goes from there which is really really cheap and easy. The alternative of testing everyone frequently would be much better imo but not practical--they said they'd tell us if the covid tests we got pre injection came back positive but it would be like two weeks before they knew. To test everyone that frequently and get quick results would require some more major logistics on top of the normal wrangling of 40k+ people on short notice. Maybe if our country had a reasonable testing regime it could be done but we're a long way from that.
So if the early data from this trial come back good we'll only know that it prevents people from developing symptoms to whatever extent. We probably won't know more until there's some actual uptake and we see if it actually slows new infections, or if vaccinated people still spread it just as well. It'll also be really important to see if vaccinated people with asymptomatic infections have the same side issues of unvaccinated asymptomatic infections.
I'm optimistic but we can't assume it will all just work out. Even vaccinated I'm masking, distancing and staying home until we have real-world data showing we're actually out of the woods.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

boar guy posted:

I have stopped setting milestones. Dining insiders restaurant/going to a bar is not happening anytime soon, I have accepted that vacations in faraway places won't be a thing for at least the next 3+ years, and I have a feeling we might still take risks if we did go afterwards.
However, it has become obvious humans don't have what it takes to win this without a medical breakthrough, i.e. safe and working vaccine, so we might be in for a decade or more of this.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Delta-Wye posted:

Considering that most of what I have read indicates they're aiming for functional immunity and not sterilizing immunity, they may not actually prevent spread. Just the vaccinated people will be much less likely to have strong reactions.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/05/22/the-world-needs-covid-19-vaccines-it-may-also-be-overestimating-their-power/

the gap between the haves and the have nots grows by the day
cool! cool and good!! i am so excited and hopeful for the future!!! :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
For reference, the flu shot is also not sterilizing.

I can absolutely see a future where people are asked every year to get their annual flu and coronavirus vaccines. And the sad part is that's one of the more optimistic possibilities at this point.