Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Plutonis posted:

is that why Ukrainian volunteers are coming to Azerbaijan

Random Soviet borders must be upheld!! International recognition

anyway kosovo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/KyleWOrton/status/1313474137566916609?s=20

just a western analyst hoping that Turkey finishes the job against the Russian puppets in Armenia

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Atrocious Joe posted:

https://twitter.com/KyleWOrton/status/1313474137566916609?s=20

just a western analyst hoping that Turkey finishes the job against the Russian puppets in Armenia

https://twitter.com/NatGold1/status/1313474617827188736?s=19

The dreaded Armenian-Hezbollah Axis.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/iamcardib/status/1313547570552074240

lol

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Celebrities getting drafted into the cyberwar for hearts and minds

sum
Nov 15, 2010

https://twitter.com/ANCA_DC/status/1313346247865118721

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

Like CardiB, Elton had a post up on Instagram that has now disappeared. The Azeri social media game is strong

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

oh man if this makes trump say something

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

oh man if this makes trump say something

I don't think there's enough turbosteroids left in his body for him to do much else than tweet at this point so he probably will

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010
Azeri and Turkish intelligence infected Trump with Roni to keep Kim Kardashian from being able to meet with him and convince him to stop the war

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

they treated Cardi B like a princess
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUpCmqfjG6I

Atrocious Joe has issued a correction as of 23:27 on Oct 6, 2020

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

HAMAS HATE BOAT posted:

Azeri and Turkish intelligence infected Trump with Roni to keep Kim Kardashian from being able to meet with him and convince him to stop the war

they never expected trumps favorite singer to speak up

hold me closer trumpy dancer...

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

You should check out what Clintons natsec psychos were saying in the 90s about Bosnia before deciding they could use it as an excuse to use the American military to put pressure on countries in the region. Everyone in that field are absolute goblins one and all.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/osamabishounen/status/1313926742923378689

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Iran comes out on the side of AzerBaijan:-

https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1313788526719311872?s=20

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I mean I guess this makes sense for both of them. They'll continue sending weapons to Armenia i'm sure, but there's no real reason for Putin to put himself out there unless Armenia is in actual risk of being overrun and Iran has millions of Iranian Azeris to consider.
I guess the only regional actor willing to back a side directly past just selling arms is Crazy Erdogan.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

God I wish the CHP were this brave

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
azeri shells just blew up the shushi cathederal while it was full of journalists

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

link https://en.armradio.am/2020/10/08/azerbaijani-forces-hit-ghazanchetsots-church-in-shushi/

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

the Russian and Iranian statements seem to put a "red line" at attacking inside Armenia's internationally recognized borders.

https://twitter.com/AliTahmizian/status/1313728619383083010?s=20
More background on the Syrian fighters shipped to the front

quote:

A month before an assault on the Armenian enclave of Nagorno Karabakh, Turkey launched a pipeline for Syrian mercenaries to aid in the Azerbaijani offensive, Asia Times has learned.

Word of a new Turkish-sponsored mercenary opportunity, the second since Libya, began circulating in northern Syria on September 1. By September 6, commanders of Turkish-sponsored militias were registering fighters to ship off to Azerbaijan.

Khaled, a Syrian man already employed by a Turkish-backed Malik Shah brigade, says he left for Azerbaijan two weeks before the Karabakh assault started.

“On September 14, we left Syria to Kilis area (southern Turkey) by bus. We were about 25 young guys,” Khaled told Asia Times, using only his first name to shield his identity.

In southern Turkey, he says the men were screened for illness and injuries, and those under the age of 18 or over the age of 40 were told to return. From there, they were transferred from Kilis to Gaziantep by car, flown to Istanbul in a civilian plane, and then to Azerbaijan with a batch of 35 recruits.

They were some of the nearly 1,200 Syrians who have been sent by Turkey so far to fight on behalf of Azerbaijan, according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, which has monitored rights violations and death tolls throughout the war in Syria.

At least 72 Syrian mercenaries have been killed so far on the front lines, the Observatory said Sunday. Ankara and Baku have vigorously denied the men’s presence.

The deployments, according to information obtained by Asia Times, are ongoing.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
could they find a wider table

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Whats goin on there? "Peace" talks? Social life and work got ahead of obsessing about politics and world news.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Whats goin on there? "Peace" talks? Social life and work got ahead of obsessing about politics and world news.

yeah Russia told them to cut it out. No word what it will actually lead to.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Vasukhani posted:

could they find a wider table

lol isn't that one of those tables were you can adjust the diameter too

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lol isn't that one of those tables were you can adjust the diameter too

theyre social distancing

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Ah.. oh.. i see. So there's no sushi restaurant called the Sushi Cathedral in the south caucasus. Of course. I knew that before I looked at the pictures.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
Aliyev has apperently "agreed" to Russian "Principles"

who knows what that means

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Its either "dont hit Armenia proper" or "Don't annex the oblast" I imagine as thats been Russias lines on this so far.

e: Actually reading it might be more an agreeing to certain borders which is meaningless because unless it's "All of Karabakh is Armenian" it doesn't change the situation. Artsakh hasn't even pretended territory it took is up for negotiation since the early oughts when Aliyev walked out on the talks.

Zedhe Khoja has issued a correction as of 21:04 on Oct 9, 2020

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK
the Azeris seem to have lost some of the ground they initially took and both sides are just lobbing shells at each other. both sides locked down their internets and are lying their asses off which doesn’t really help us figure out what is happening. the Azeri poo poo posting is on point and the Armenians have no internet game at all to the point I’m not convinced they even have the internet.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/1314718765205073922

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

I wonder how long it'll last. The article notes it's a temporary truce in order to exchange prisoners and recover dead bodies.

Edit: I see the article has been changed. "substantive" talks will now begin according to Lavrov.

OhFunny has issued a correction as of 03:02 on Oct 10, 2020

That Spooky Witch
Jun 16, 2017

All hail the triune god
ah, a ceasefire, surely this will last longer than 15 minutes into it

edit: I wonder if a ceasefire sounds HOT HOT HOT for turky

That Spooky Witch has issued a correction as of 04:45 on Oct 10, 2020

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011
I don't see why Azerbaijan has a strong motive to break the ceasefire (Armenia clearly doesn't). If even half of the claims are true, Azerbaijan has made huge gains compared to before. More than enough to parade all of this internally. Azerbaijan only gets stronger with time, and Armenia's position will only weaken. Aliyev knows he doesn't have to go for broke now.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Yeah, Azerbaijan both Militarily and Legally speaking are in a very strong position, there's not much Armenia can do because legally speaking Azerbaijan has the rightful claim to the land.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

That Spooky Witch posted:

ah, a ceasefire, surely this will last longer than 15 minutes into it

edit: I wonder if a ceasefire sounds HOT HOT HOT for turky

Turkey's main goal here is to establish themselves as a regional power and be involved in brokering whatever peace deal forms (erdogan is poo poo, but he isn't actually a pan-turkish psychopath). So it entirely depends on if they're consulted or not.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

congratulations to mr putin on his efforts to seek peace and reconciliation. perhaps mr erdogan could take a lesson or several from mr putin's example.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Ghost of Mussolini posted:

I don't see why Azerbaijan has a strong motive to break the ceasefire (Armenia clearly doesn't). If even half of the claims are true, Azerbaijan has made huge gains compared to before. More than enough to parade all of this internally. Azerbaijan only gets stronger with time, and Armenia's position will only weaken. Aliyev knows he doesn't have to go for broke now.

They gained a lot more than last time but their advance was still very marginal and didn't really capture anything of value even after expending seemingly all of their offensive capability. Their advance was limited to the southern foothills and at no point did it look like they were in a position to strike deep into the mountainous heart of the territory. It took years of rearmament and seemingly billions of dollars of spending and they got jack poo poo in exchange. It seems quite unlikely to me that Azerbaijan will ever be able to take Nagorno Karabakh by force of arms without dragging in other countries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

sum posted:

They gained a lot more than last time but their advance was still very marginal and didn't really capture anything of value even after expending seemingly all of their offensive capability. Their advance was limited to the southern foothills and at no point did it look like they were in a position to strike deep into the mountainous heart of the territory. It took years of rearmament and seemingly billions of dollars of spending and they got jack poo poo in exchange. It seems quite unlikely to me that Azerbaijan will ever be able to take Nagorno Karabakh by force of arms without dragging in other countries.

They also showed their cards a bit by bringing out a ton of Turkish/Israeli equipment which is going to change future tactics. (Also, it is probably going to bind Armenia closer to Russia, because it seems to be the only power to have any interest in helping the Armenians in any serious sense).

That said, does seem to have achieve its primary objective of getting the Azerbaijani populace to forget about the dire economic and financial strait of their country for a bit. I am sure the war wasn't cheap though.