Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc
Eh, maybe I am being unfair. It's just that the first three Sonic games were so good. Compared to them, Flicky's Island just struck as kinda...meh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Eshettar posted:

Eh, maybe I am being unfair. It's just that the first three Sonic games were so good. Compared to them, Flicky's Island just struck as kinda...meh.

It was a spinoff farmed out to Traveller's Tales, a dev mostly known for lovely licensed games.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

These days they're mostly known for the Lego games. They also made Sonic R.

Game Hut a YouTube channel by the director of Traveller's Tales is a pretty good channel to follow, they actually pulled off some impressive stuff tech-wise despite their games not being very good.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Mickey Mania and Puggsy are good as hell.

Protodude
Dec 10, 2013

Fun Shoe
I think the visual style they went with is very much a response to Donkey Kong Country, and even though the Saturn had been out over a year they knew they still had a large enough Genesis install base that they thought it was worth developing the game. My guess for the isometric view is to drive home the "3D" even more.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Since we are talking about the games, is Knuckles Chaotix any good? Knuckles is my favourite but afaik the 32x doesn't have a great track record..

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Artelier posted:

Since we are talking about the games, is Knuckles Chaotix any good? Knuckles is my favourite but afaik the 32x doesn't have a great track record..

It plays well, has a powerful aesthetic and a lot of charm, but the levels are weirdly empty and mazelike. It's worth checking out but it probably won't be your favorite.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah it kind of just sort of....exists. Nothing great but nothing terrible either.

Off the subject, is it just me or is Sonic Dash weirdly glitchy? Aside from the message I sometimes get saying ICloud save has been disabled when I’ve confirmed it hasn’t, occasionally when I load it up it suddenly replays a bunch of notification screens for stuff I’ve already unlocked/purchased.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Yeah to say that Traveller's Tales only make lovely licensed games is a bit unfair. Some of their licensed games are actually pretty good to great even, they're just a bit uneven in quality and Sonic 3D is one of the games which didn't turn out well.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Larryb posted:

Yeah it kind of just sort of....exists. Nothing great but nothing terrible either.

Off the subject, is it just me or is Sonic Dash weirdly glitchy? Aside from the message I sometimes get saying ICloud save has been disabled when I’ve confirmed it hasn’t, occasionally when I load it up it suddenly replays a bunch of notification screens for stuff I’ve already unlocked/purchased.

Maybe it is on Apple stuff, I've been playing on Android and aside from the Elite Agent Rouge thing I haven't had any problems.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Agent Rush posted:

Maybe it is on Apple stuff, I've been playing on Android and aside from the Elite Agent Rouge thing I haven't had any problems.

Probably. It’s a minor concern all things considered but it’s still kind of weird.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Artelier posted:

I owned it as a kid. I enjoyed it but I can't remember much about it, it was very much a co-op game but every one of the Chaotics playing differently was pretty neat (RIP Heavy and Bomb). Knuckles Chaotics was very much a case of Sega asking "How do we make a two player Sonic? Rubberband the two players together? Brilliant!"

Levels were generally too big and nearly always had the same "one character stands on one button, other character fights the rubber band mechanic to stand on the other" puzzle repeated too frequently. The rubber band mechanic didn't do much else otherwise except give you some really weird momentum in boss fights.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Well, the Rapid Replay event in Sonic Forces Mobile has ended. I wish I could've gotten more Witch Rouge cards, but I was able to grab over 1000 Lunar Blaze cards. Not a bad haul, all told. Although at some point, battle chests stopped giving me Gold Rings so now leveling up takes even longer.:negative:

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
The first issue of Bad Guys dropped today, it's a pretty strong start! Did anyone else pick it up? I'd say it's a better opening issue than the Tangle & Whisper mini-series #1, so if it can at least match the quality of that it'll be fantastic!

I'll admit I'm a little partial to Rough and Tumble getting a chance to pop off a little bit. Just because they aren't a match for the main heroes of the setting doesn't mean they aren't dangerous.

Also in Sonic Forces news, a new Team Event starts tomorrow. It's Treasure Hunter Knuckles vs. Elite Agent Rouge, where you choose one of them and race against people who chose the other.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I didn't know Bad Guys was out, thanks for posting about it!

I enjoyed it, did sigh a bit when I saw that Zavok was part of it, but then I never played Lost World so I have no connection to the character. I dunno', the Deadly Six just don't really feel like Sonic characters to me, they just feel out of place.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Veotax posted:

I enjoyed it, did sigh a bit when I saw that Zavok was part of it, but then I never played Lost World so I have no connection to the character. I dunno', the Deadly Six just don't really feel like Sonic characters to me, they just feel out of place.

I'm guessing Zavok was a SEGA mandate to be included as otherwise the team would be only OC characters, and Zavok is basically the only villain from the games that was really usable since SEGA doesn't like having dead villains show up, not to mention the restrictions on using Classic era characters and most other Modern villains are a bit too large scale in nature to be on a team like this

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Veotax posted:

I never played Lost World either, though Sega has been trying to push The Deadly Six pretty much ever since. They've gotten a little more personality in the comics, both IDW's and Archie's. As it stands, I'm more interested in seeing what someone can do with them than as characters themselves. At least I can remember all their names now, before I only knew Zavok and Zeena because he was the leader and she was the girl. I will say that one neat detail is that the Zeti pretty much never seem to leave the Lost Hex until Eggman or an affiliate screws with them, then they declare revenge on the entire world for it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I felt Zavok did well here.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Yeah, I think giving Zavok a chance to show he's not just a bruiser is a good angle for the character. Maybe the mini will explain what the Zeti's deal is along with the likely focus we'll get on Starline, Rough & Tumble, and Mimic.

Agent Rush fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Nov 5, 2020

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
So the first issue of Evan's run dropped today and it's pretty good. Nice to get some downtime after the Metal Virus stuff

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

So the first issue of Evan's run dropped today and it's pretty good. Nice to get some downtime after the Metal Virus stuff

Yeah, it's nice to see the characters do some low-key stuff rather than the usual world-threatening crisis.

Also, Rouge's White Park outfit is amazing! :swoon:

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I'm really glad that the comic is finally moving on to something more lowkey, at least for now. I was really finding the metal virus storyline exhausting, especially for something that came so early in the comic's life.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Agent Rush posted:

Yeah, it's nice to see the characters do some low-key stuff rather than the usual world-threatening crisis.

Also, Rouge's White Park outfit is amazing! :swoon:

Yeah I like any time they get an excuse to dress up the characters. It's really good/usually pretty funny with the characters who don't normally wear clothes outside of shoes and gloves

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
I don't know why, but Cream's face when Shadow turned up killed me. Full on bunny :stare:

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

I wanted Shadow to be secret because he liked the chao races ):

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Knuckles Chaotix has an extremely cool aesthetic, some great music, fun core gameplay, and absolutely atrocious level design. The levels are often bizarre mazes that aren't built around the characters' movement abilities at all. It's an interesting study in how something can look very much like a classic Sonic game, without actually having the design sensibility of one.

It's still a cool game just because it's pleasing to look at and it's fun to run around as Espio or Vector, especially with a friend, but it's much less than the sum of its parts because of the bad level design.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Skeletome posted:

I wanted Shadow to be secret because he liked the chao races ):

I am sorry, but by Sega mandates Shadow is not allowed to have a life or personality outside of being an unpleasantly brooding loner. Which is a very strange choice for the only character in all of the main Sonic games to have had a character arc.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Ironslave posted:

I am sorry, but by Sega mandates Shadow is not allowed to have a life or personality outside of being an unpleasantly brooding loner. Which is a very strange choice for the only character in all of the main Sonic games to have had a character arc.

As best as I can tell, Sega simply does not want the cast to be characters. It wants them to be icons a la Sanrio.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Schwarzwald posted:

As best as I can tell, Sega simply does not want the cast to be characters. It wants them to be icons a la Sanrio.

Or to put it another way Sega are morons and always have been

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Schwarzwald posted:

I mean to an extent it makes sense. The comics are essentially a monthly ad for the games, and since the games (will almost certainly) never really gonna have the characters undergo much change, they probably don't want the comics to do anything different either.

I don't like it, but I understand Sega's POV. Plus I imagine after the Penders poo poo, Sega probably has them on a tight leash.

drrockso20 posted:

Or to put it another way Sega are morons and always have been

That too, certainly.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

I thought the sega mandate rumours was false anyway?

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Skeletome posted:

I thought the sega mandate rumours was false anyway?

I'm sure Sega has some restrictions on what the comics can do, that's just the reality of licensed work. They may not be as binding as fans believe they are, though.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help
From what I've gathered, the "mandates" aren't so much a big list of unbreakable THOU SHALT NOTs, but just more like the collected experience of what Sega will and will not approve based on past back-and-forth script discussions with them. Sega's more stubborn with some of them and more flexible with others, but they're all potentially subject to change at Sega's whims too.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
I can't believe it! Team Knuckles was 20 million points down for the last 10 days of this event, only to somehow rally and end up 20 million up with only 9 hours to go. :mad: How'd they manage that?

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

knock knock it's knuckles

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Skeletome posted:

knock knock it's knuckles

:argh: I'm so mad!

At least the new Halloween event starts tomorrow, I can get some more Witch Rouge cards.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
The next team event in Sonic Forces Speed Battle is coming up, it's Reaper Metal Sonic vs. Vampire Shadow. While the last one was an easy choice for me, this one is a tough call because I don't care about either one of these two. Is anyone else here even playing this enough to have an opinion one way or the other?

EDIT:

Today's also the last day for the Witch Rouge event in Sonic Dash 1.

Agent Rush fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Nov 1, 2020

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Still wishing I could get Reaper Metal in dash 1.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Discendo Vox posted:

Still wishing I could get Reaper Metal in dash 1.

They did just do Vampire Shadow and Witch Rouge for Sonic Dash, hopefully they finish the Halloween trio.

In comic news, the next issue of Bad Guys dropped today. It's pretty great, with some cool action and character beats for the main baddies. It was also pretty neat to see Ponett's speculation get semi-confirmed at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also out of curiosity, the most recent update to Sonic Dash has a note saying to “keep an eye out for the return of an old legend”. Any idea what that’s referring to?