Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

JHVH-1 posted:

I think my last session ended around that same part.

Is there some kinda trick to doing thigh presses without losing grip on the ring? It’s not even that hard to do but the dang thing slips and I think I’ve seen people on twitch playing that have the same issue.

At first, I would lightly hold the top of the ring with one of my hands to stabilize it. Eventually I just kind of got a feel for it and that wasn't necessary anymore. It helps to do a couple of test squeezes while you're getting into position to make sure it feels squared away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I hold it between my thighs instead of my knees, and I wear shorts so that it's gripping skin instead of fabric, and I haven't had an issue - except for once when it shot out of my legs, squarely hit my water glass, and narrowly missed dousing my Switch in water. I'm careful where I put my water now.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I struggled with the thigh press for a while too, but here’s what works for me pretty reliably now: always squeeze more than you think you need. When you’re in “neutral” position, preparing to start the thigh press? You should already be squeezing significantly. Then when it tells you to squeeze, squeeze hard

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I hold it between my thighs instead of my knees, and I wear shorts so that it's gripping skin instead of fabric, and I haven't had an issue - except for once when it shot out of my legs, squarely hit my water glass, and narrowly missed dousing my Switch in water. I'm careful where I put my water now.

Steve Yun posted:

I struggled with the thigh press for a while too, but here’s what works for me pretty reliably now: always squeeze more than you think you need. When you’re in “neutral” position, preparing to start the thigh press? You should already be squeezing significantly. Then when it tells you to squeeze, squeeze hard

Thigh Press is one exercise where I think Tipp's demo is a little off. I do both of these - I hold it between my thighs, about a third up from the knee to the crotch; and when I squeeze, I squeeze as firmly and quickly as I can without letting myself bounce at either end, much moreso than other exercises

For balance I also orient the ring perpendicular to where it's at on my legs, instead of vertically like Tipp seems to have it. Not sure if this affects the exercise or not, but it holds pretty steady now and very much works the bits the graphic points to :v:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The thigh press should be just on the inside of your knees. Hold the controller part of the ring with one hand if you need. Don’t lean back too much, just enough that it engages your core.

I feel like squeezing the ring with it too close to your body would have a bad effect like if you ride a bike with the seat too low. Burns out your muscles because you aren’t doing a full motion.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I brace my back against the bed that is behind where I play, and place my hands in front of the ring. They don’t actually hold it at all, so there’s no interfering with my legs being in full control, but it’s a safety blanket against the fling.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Starting a gofundme for a plane ticket to japan so I can do a violence for everyone involved in “Smack Back”

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

CaptainPsyko posted:

Starting a gofundme for a plane ticket to japan so I can do a violence for everyone involved in “Smack Back”

same except Core Crush or whatever that 'hidden' minigame in world 2 is

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

actually the gym that's just having you aim at boxes/bombs and squeeze? that one can go to hell too

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

CaptainPsyko posted:

Do you really think you'd even be able to lay a finger on people who presumably have managed to get perfect scores in Smack Back

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I’ve gotten S ranks on every mini game and am up for some fisticuffs

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Hot take: all the minigames suck and I would rather not do any of them over the normal exercises. Some just suck worse than others.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
Next time I get on this I want to try and see if I can trick the box breaking minigame into letting me use my thighs like the Thigh Press.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Edit: Wrong thread!

Tempura Wizard fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Sep 9, 2020

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Airspace posted:

Next time I get on this I want to try and see if I can trick the box breaking minigame into letting me use my thighs like the Thigh Press.

Good luck aiming!!

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I finally got a perfect score on Bootstrap Tower: Novice yesterday. You literally have to do everything perfectly to make it all the way to the end and even then you only have a second or two to spare. We shall see if I can do it on Advanced.

I hadn’t exercised for several days and then yesterday I did a squat-heavy level and used wide squats and oh my god, my legs. Whyyyyyy?

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I beat the arm guys parachute thing yesterday. The day before I tried twice and I guess I was making bigger movements than I needed. It was annoying me because I wanted to complete it but physically hurting lol

Landing the last drop is a big points thing and I missed it my first tries which didn’t help.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

JHVH-1 posted:

I beat the arm guys parachute thing yesterday. The day before I tried twice and I guess I was making bigger movements than I needed. It was annoying me because I wanted to complete it but physically hurting lol

Landing the last drop is a big points thing and I missed it my first tries which didn’t help.

I did that a week or so ago, and after I failed it a few times I ended up sitting down and that actually helped a lot. I think I was making movements too big also, but sitting down I had to check myself against the back of the chair and it helped out. Normally arm stuff doesn't bother me that much, but that one got to me.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

Never played this as much as I hoped because I didn’t have a good space for it but we recently moved to a much bigger space and I turned the guest room into my Ring Fit/Bike trainer suffer room. Planks are killing me right now because my core is weak and flabby, but excited to actually stick to this for more than a week now that I have a dedicated space for it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I’m the bolt that’s going to murder your foot when you do Warrior Pose II

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Started this yesterday, got a bit of an odd question. I got this game because I don't have access to my regular workout equipment right now (kettlebells) but was still planning on working it into my regular routine once I got back home in a few months.

For reference I'm at the simple part of the simple and sinister kettlebell routine (32kg kettlebell for 10x10 swings and 5 Turkish getups per side), and I usually do it 6 days a week. I started RFA yesterday at difficulty 13 and pushed it up to 25 today, planning on trying 30 tomorrow. Would it be worth it to do kettlebells 3 days a week and on the other 3 days do an hour or so of RFA, or would that not be worth it compared to just bells? Or would that be a question more suited for ylls?

Either way the game is pretty fun, I'm definitely a number go up for good brain chemical sort of person so I definitely see myself sticking with it consistently.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

It's not going to be any better or worse. The right exercise is the one you enjoy doing consistently.

I'd say mixing Ring Fit with days of a weighted strength-training exercise is a good idea, since Ring Fit is purely body weight and more focused on cardio - and doing a varied routine tends to produce better results than doing the same one every day. Or at least reduces muscle exhaustion and likely increases gains.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Is there an optimal distance you should be at for the joycons to sense your movements? The game seems to randomly stop/stutter sensing me the past couple of days when it didn't before and I'm wondering if it's because I'm standing too close/far from the switch.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

The ‘break all the robots ‘ challenge in world 6 can suck my ring.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

yeah that gym fuckin sucks

You know what else sucks? Warrior 3. What the hell is this insane jump in difficulty from Warrior 2, I can barely stand one-legged for five seconds without shaking out of control and you expect me to bend forward into a T? gently caress off, game :mad:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Warrior III is incredibly difficult since the key to balancing is keeping your gaze focused on a fixed point and of course you can’t do that in the pose. My advice would be to stabilize yourself in the starting position first then take it very slow while moving your gaze along a fixed path, like it were on a track if that makes sense. You’ll get it with more practice.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

I find those poses easier to do when I'm not on my thick rear end yoga mat, just helps my balance.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Warrior III is incredibly difficult since the key to balancing is keeping your gaze focused on a fixed point and of course you can’t do that in the pose. My advice would be to stabilize yourself in the starting position first then take it very slow while moving your gaze along a fixed path, like it were on a track if that makes sense. You’ll get it with more practice.

I guess - thanks for the tip. It's frustrating beyond belief to have to stand there and flip the ring in my hands to get on with the workout, though.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
I picked this up planning to use it as an alternative to running outside when the weather's bad - I am not in horrible shape (my normal go-to is a 5k jog, although I've all but abandonded my dumbbell routine) but it's pretty humbling how much 10 minutes of having this stupid ring shouting at me is kicking my arse. I binged through the first showdown with the dragon in my first session then put it off for a week, barely made it through the first level of World 2. My calves are killing me now, can barely walk down the stairs.

Is there a good YouTube source recommended for form? I feel like the included outline dude isn't clear enough for a lot of them.

Any other general tips as far as pacing, etc are very welcome.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

You get the form eventually, the only ones that are a bit challenging are some of the yoga poses.

As far as pacing... Whatever you can handle. Pay attention to the in-game exercise timer, and set a limit for yourself daily to keep from wearing out. It'll be different for everyone, but I found 15-20 minutes daily is the sweet spot for me.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
The difficulty setting it keeps bugging you about will also tweak the amount of reps.

I increased mine because I felt like it was good but not as challenging after I got to like level 50, but then I unlocked the ab stuff where you are laying down like flutter kicks and whatever and after a few sets of those I could barely get through the end of them. So I guess I need to work those muscles more but it also was giving me more reps at the same time.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

It's super hosed up that boat pose is 8 full reps and hard as gently caress compared to moves that do double its damage and are way easier

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

No matter what there's going to be exercises that are going to be way easier and harder than others. You could cheese the game by filling your skills with yoga poses and things like arm twist and arm spin, but then what would even be the point of playing?

That said, I will never put mountain climbers or any of the alternate squats on my set skills. Never.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'll take mountain climbers any day of the fuckin' week over trying Warrior 3 again :mad:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I wouldn't mind mountain climber so much if the detection on it wasn't so weird, it feels like sometimes it just decides to give you Good or worse for no reason when you've been doing it the same way the whole time

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I wouldn't mind mountain climbers if they didn't make me feel like I'm loving dying

At least they didn't find a way to put burpees in the game.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

AnonSpore posted:

I wouldn't mind mountain climber so much if the detection on it wasn't so weird, it feels like sometimes it just decides to give you Good or worse for no reason when you've been doing it the same way the whole time

Yeah I tend to avoid the ones that have less precise tracking, a couple of the leg tracking only ones are like this, and also that arm sideways raise one?!

It sucks when they're in the gyms and you get a point value!

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
The two that I can’t really figure out are boat pose and leg scissors. Boat pose if I look up a yoga video (which is stationary) and Tipp’s picture they’re sitting upright on their butt. Ring tells you specifically not to touch your back to the floor. I can’t extend backwards without rolling more on the small of my back. I still feel the exercise and like it but feel like I’m doing something wrong.

Leg scissors just doesn’t track at all no matter how I adjust the leg strap. I’m not very flexible and can’t get my legs that wide but it doesn’t seem to matter. It came up in a fitness gym and I was getting 4s and 10s, stopped to adjust the leg strap and it registered like 5 100s in a row while I wasn’t moving at all. Stupid exercise and I hate it.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I dunno about leg scissors because that's never given me problems but boat pose you should just try and keep your upper back off the floor using your abs while your arms keep moving back, while your legs extend as a counterweight. Then you kinda crunch back in reverse order, your arms coming forward, then your legs and upper body coming back up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Man, some of these exercises would be really embarrassing in front of someone else