Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean yes, things are always going to change. It’s inevitable

No poo poo

The question is how. It's worth thinking about and discussing because if we can recognize something is going to be viewed terribly in the future, we can try and get people to stop doing it now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

The Bloop posted:

This thread actually made me think about that earlier today

Like, in another decade or two are we going to be cringing at that word on old media with similar intensity? Especially applied to men?

I'll admit it's probably less bad on the slur-o-meter, but it's definitely not good

I think the tide has already turned against "bitch", you can get away with it now but it's already widely seen as a gendered slur. Give it another 5-10 years and it'll go the way of "retard" or "fag" and the likes -- go back in the archives of this site like 10 years and you'll see them both used widely, and now it's probation-worthy.

What I'm really not sure about is what's next after "bitch". There's nothing that immediately strikes me as a commonly used slur that's by definition targeted towards one specific group.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

The Bloop posted:

No poo poo

The question is how. It's worth thinking about and discussing because if we can recognize something is going to be viewed terribly in the future, we can try and get people to stop doing it now

Well that’s my point, your never going to be ahead of it. Is that self evident? Sure but you brought it up not me

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well that’s my point, your never going to be ahead of it. Is that self evident? Sure but you brought it up not me

Better not even try to improve then since it will always happen in the future due to the forward flow of time!

You chowderhead

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

CharlestheHammer posted:

If that was your point then why didn't you say it?

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Martytoof posted:

Maybe I'm just naive, but the slur didn't even cross my mind because in my wildest dreams I wouldn't think to come across it in a Star Trek cartoon.

So it's basically me having seen all the treks and a bunch of normie friends who this and the jj movies are basically their only treks. They loving love lower decks, it's a massive hit with them and their kids so far. But that one bleep was really out of place.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to put down anyone who was genuinely concerned by it. The criticism is absolutely valid and based on life experience or viewpoint could be anything from curious to downright disappointing or traumatic. It’s honestly not a word I come across very often at all, don’t really hang out in communities or circles where I’m exposed to it in either an ironic or malicious manner, so it just wasn’t something I even remotely considered inserting. Others who are more exposed to it may have the opposite reaction which is perfectly valid.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Martytoof posted:

Yeah don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to put down anyone who was genuinely concerned by it. The criticism is absolutely valid and based on life experience or viewpoint could be anything from curious to downright disappointing or traumatic. It’s honestly not a word I come across very often at all, don’t really hang out in communities or circles where I’m exposed to it in either an ironic or malicious manner, so it just wasn’t something I even remotely considered inserting. Others who are more exposed to it may have the opposite reaction which is perfectly valid.

Yeah, I caught it because I am too online and have been on sa and twitter for years so I've got a smooth brain and am irony poisoned. I totally get everyone else not even thinking about it because its star trek. But man, they bleeped it wrong enough to give the impression at all and that's why I'm glad they put the uncensored clip out.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
So I’m finally properly binging the series tonight, and I don’t know why but Shaxs breaking Boimler’s violin over his knee made me absolutely loving lose it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Shaxs is perfect.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Oh god, the Vancouver just pulling up and literally covering up the Cerritos on screen. Just :discourse:

E: the wall decorations on the Vancouver’s conference room resembling the Vancouver city flag too, holy poo poo. Titmouse had a LOT of fun with his one, I can tell.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Oct 8, 2020

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
So uh... did Starfleet murder Peanut Hamper when they banned artificial life?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
THE TITAN IS CANON NOW!! :woop::woop::woop:

Super Deuce posted:

So uh... did Starfleet murder Peanut Hamper when they banned artificial life?

You know what? She deserves it :colbert:

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
The second they mention a certain ship you know what they have to do. Yet I cheered all the same.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

J33uk posted:

The second they mention a certain ship you know what they have to do. Yet I cheered all the same.

I can’t believe that Riker and Troi are now 2-for-2 in “stand up and shout gently caress YEAH!” moments in two successive Star Trek shows this year.

Sardikar
Sep 27, 2004
I cant think of anything to put here.

makegofast NOOOOW!!!

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

HOLY poo poo THE NEW LOWER DECKS
i'm only halfway through and already this is INCREDIBLE

e: nooooooooooooo shaxs :( :( :(

Mx. fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Oct 8, 2020

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Wow. 'No Small Parts' was loving fantastic.

And I did not see them blowing the status quo completely to pieces to end the season. Shaxs dead, Rutherford amnesiac and de-cyborgised, Mariner and Freeman reconciled and working together, Boimler actually getting his promotion and leaving the ship. Where the hell are they going to go now? And how long before I can find out?

The pointed line about things in Starfleet not staying the same forever, right after criticising it for inattentiveness, was a pretty direct lead-in for Picard, right?

Edit: the TNG theme kicking in at full blast when Riker came to the rescue was a genuinely great Star Trek moment, comedy series or no.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Oct 8, 2020

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
“Yeah Steve, I remember. You said that Wolf 359 was an inside job.”

“Changelings aren’t real! The Dominion War never happened!”

Nestorix
Aug 3, 2006

exotic particles

What a great finale!

I almost died laughing when Billups was holding the Spock helmet from Mariner's contraband!

Also did NOT see Shaxs death coming

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Watching it now.

I fuckin' love that the picture of Kirk and Spock on Ransom's PADD is their TAS versions. It fits so well. And wow, the Landru call back is a very deep pull for the vast majority of the show's audience that didn't watch TOS. Ransom's definition of the TOS era is just fourth-wall breaking enough to be great.

Drone fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Oct 8, 2020

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

the helmet being now canon is amazing

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Nooooo, Shaxs! :smith:

Holy poo poo this episode was good. The Titan!

Season one was great. This show owns. Please give me more. Please tell me a second season has already been ordered.

Drone fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Oct 8, 2020

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Drone posted:

Please give me more. Please tell me a second season has already been ordered.

A second season has already been ordered.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
RIP Lt. Shaxs. He never got the pussy.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I like this episode and I think it's helped me draw out what I think works and doesn't work about the show. The show is best when it forgets it's supposed to be funny. Just good natured story telling varying between seriousness and levity building towards a moral at the end, with dollops of references and call backs to the rest of Trek.

The comedy is... strange. I don't think at any point in the entire season I thought our four main cast were actually funny or interesting. Mariner is annoying. Boimler is annoying and the show can't decide if he's competent or not. Rutherford and Tendi are one dimensionally nice but don't really have anything going on beyond that. But the supporting characters and cast are incredible. Ransom is great. Riker was hilarious this episode, and generally the guest stars have been great. If Shaxs gets one line in an episode it's guaranteed to be the stand-out funniest moment. The writers know how to write good jokes, but for some reason there's an enormous gulf in quality depending on who they are writing for.

e: actually thinking about it there are two episodes out of ten this season where the resolution relies upon Shaxs literally carrying the limp body of one of the main cast to where it needs to be. That's a bit unintentionally meta

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Oct 8, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Guys. Guys.

That was the most ENJOYABLE 22 minutes of Star Trek since.. I don’t even know what. Probably when I watched Sisko retake DS9? Like I can’t remember the last time a Star Trek show made me jump up and yell gently caress YEAH

They set up so many things for S2 that I’m dying of anticipation and it’s only been five minutes since the credits rolled.

Also:

TV IV > Modern Star Trek Megathread: Picard, Discovery, Lowe Decks, and WOLF 359 WAS AN INSIDE JOB

Bring on Discovery I guess :rolleyes:

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
That was epic. Also, Riker fucks.

Thom12255 fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Oct 8, 2020

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Martytoof posted:

TV IV > Modern Star Trek Megathread: Picard, Discovery, Lower Decks, and WOLF 359 WAS AN INSIDE JOB

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

holy poo poo, riker's appearance here makes up for all of lost opportunities in picard s1

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

The Golden Gael posted:

Plus their initials are literally inverted.

This is the first of the new shows where none of the main cast piss me off. They finally got 'starry eyed naive newbie' right with Tendi, after doing that character archetype in the other two shows.

I'm sorry, but take this back about Tilly right now.

Tendi is great and all but Tilly is bae

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

the loving enterprise callback at the end
jesus christ

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Congratulations to Lower Decks for being the first thing ever to remind me of These Are The Voyages and make me smile instead of bringing back the bad feelings

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Riker quoting the theme song implies that the Enterprise holodeck program has the theme song too.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

In my head like the idea that it's just like a TV show he marathons all the time and then and everyone is sick of him talking about it.

"Yes Will, we all know :rolleyes:"

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Now that's how you do a Star Trek.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

TomR posted:

Now that's how you do a Star Trek.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Looking forward to season four where they reveal that Badgie merged with Shaxs in order to survive, and now the crew of the Cerritos has to deal with a terrifying new enemy: Baxsie!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Phylodox posted:

Looking forward to season four where they reveal that Badgie merged with Shaxs in order to survive, and now the crew of the Cerritos has to deal with a terrifying new enemy: Baxsie!

That would probably be a lot of fun.

Edit:. Okay I am definitely on board now. vvvv

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Oct 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Phylodox posted:

And their right hand hench-exocomp, Peanut Hamper :twisted: