Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

Good god this thing is huge. Now the agonizing 2 hour wait to finish at work so I can go upstairs, get this installed and play Among Us with ray tracing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

FiftySeven posted:

Good god this thing is huge. Now the agonizing 2 hour wait to finish at work so I can go upstairs, get this installed and play Among Us with ray tracing!

That'll be my step-up card, I'm going to have to jam it into my case as the drive bay will be in the way...

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

Cancelbot posted:

That'll be my step-up card, I'm going to have to jam it into my case as the drive bay will be in the way...

Thats why I had to get a new case, That and vanity reasons I guess :swoon:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
That's not even the biggest 3080 haha

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I just realized that when I swap my graphics card out I’ll have the spare parts to build a separate pc. I could have a full time media server and folding computer running out of sight...

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
https://twitter.com/EVGA_JacobF/status/1314077075028860934

Still got a notify from before launch for a 3080 XC3 in mine. :lol:

Will be interesting to see when it pops. Not that I need it since I have an FE. Guess I could help someone still hunting for one.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Oct 8, 2020

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
I apparently never hit Notify on my first pass. Now in the 10/5 9:30PM never-notify crew. Ah well, guess I can keep slumming it with Pascal for a few more months until my turn comes.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Mine are set from 22 September, which isn't bad i guess. I'm Euro tho and that queue system isn't even set up for us yet.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

8-bit Miniboss posted:

https://twitter.com/EVGA_JacobF/status/1314077075028860934

Still got a notify from before launch for a 3080 XC3 in mine. :lol:

Will be interesting to see when it pops. Not that I need it since I have an FE. Guess I could help someone still hunting for one.

Hey best buddy I’m hunting for an XC3! I’d happily throw you some bucks for the trouble.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Mikojan posted:

I was convinced at first that the 3080 was the card for me but, its only 10-15% faster than a 2080TI? And the 3070 will be slightly slower than a 2080TI most likely?

I mean, the 3080 being more than 50% more expensive and probably only 20% faster seems like the 3070 will be better value?

On top of that I'm put off by the huge power usages so I'm cancelling my preorder I think and I'll wait it out for the 3070.

But it is 40% more expensive, not 50%, and around 25% faster at 1440p and 30% faster at 2160p? Where are you getting 10-15%? The 3080 is actually pretty compelling in terms of price-to-performance compared to most high-end cards. There are always diminishing returns, but much less than usual here.

Based off of trends, I'd expect the 3070 to be slower than the 2080Ti at 1440p and probably only faster at 2160p.

pyrotek fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Oct 8, 2020

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

shrike82 posted:

which is the same tech built into the PS5. the consoles are going to drive any movement on this, can't imagine Nvidia getting any traction on PC-specific tech e.g., DirectStorage

DirectStorage is literally the name for the standard by MS, RTX IO is Nvidia's implementation of it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Statutory Ape posted:

jw, how much do you have to spend on star citizen before you can easily equate it to buying a functional piece of hardware that has a wide variety of functions including a ton for professional use

you only have to spend like $25 or something to, uh, play the game see it's a broken piece of poo poo, which says even more about the ones who go on to spend more, imo

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I just want a new graphics card! *sobs into posts*

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I've been looking forward to building a PC for a few years now and now that I finally have the money.... I can't buy a graphics card (and likely won't be able to buy a processor depending on Zen3).

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
well lisa just said borderlands 3 at 60fps on 4k with radeon 6000 series, which is like 10% under 3080

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Why are people allowed to pre-order GPUs in other countries but we can’t seem to do it in America?

Is it because they think there would be too many American pre-orders?

Our country does have the most Rona problems so it also probably has the most “people who want to still stay indoors all the time.”

I mean Elon musk has no problem holding onto a $100 from people for a product that doesn’t even exist to be purchased. I’m willing to pay full price today plus extra for two of these things if I can just not have to ever go to Best Buy‘s website ever again and hit refresh.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Truga posted:

well lisa just said borderlands 3 at 60fps on 4k with radeon 6000 series, which is like 10% under 3080

She showed it running at the beginning but didn’t loving show the numbers at the end.

That benchmark is easier to run at the beginning because there’s literally no one shooting and nothing going on and barely any smoke.

If the borderlands 3 benchmark is so good then why didn’t you just show us how it ended where it tells you the score.........

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
she had a graph of 3 games benched at the end, i just took the first one and compared it to 3080 :v:

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
The three games they gave numbers for were within single digits for 3080 benchmark numbers from some reviews I looked at.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Incessant Excess posted:

The three games they gave numbers for were within single digits for 3080 benchmark numbers from some reviews I looked at.

Oh I missed that.

I’m pretty locked in due to the fact that we both now have pretty nice 144 Hz G sync displays.

I hope the AMD is GPU is just as good as the 3080 there’s a ton of them to buy so that way I don’t have to fight as hard for a strix when it finally hits America sometime in October next year.

I would love for Nvidia to poo poo itself over the fact that AMD has lots of actual product on shelves.

They really really really deserve it

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Incessant Excess posted:

they were giving benchmarks with a new ryzen chip, the 5900X, and 'big navi' as they called it:

comparing benchmarks isn't going to lead far, there's a bunch of cpu stats given that was the topic for today so we'll have to wait until the 28th to find out more

they ran SottR's in-game benchmark at 1080p with the high quality setting and got:
3900XT: 141 avg
5900X: 181 avg

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
Digital Foundry takes a look at DLSS Ultra Performance mode at 8k

tl/dr: DLSS is good, but not magic - native 8K is far superior, 1440p->8k is just asking too much from it. 4k DLSS->8K provides comparable quality to native, but 1440P in ultra performance mode just introduces too many artifacts.

*throws 8K TV in the trash*

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

wait a minute you're saying we can't scale an image losslessly with no artifacting from 3mp to 30mp????

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

wait a minute you're saying we can't scale an image losslessly with no artifacting from 3mp to 30mp????

No, we're just saying you need to sit further back from your TV when you do so! Problem solved.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

they were giving benchmarks with a new ryzen chip, the 5900X, and 'big navi' as they called it:

comparing benchmarks isn't going to lead far, there's a bunch of cpu stats given that was the topic for today so we'll have to wait until the 28th to find out more

they ran SottR's in-game benchmark at 1080p with the high quality setting and got:
3900XT: 141 avg
5900X: 181 avg
Big difference in 1080p vs 4K.

Peeps already are scouring reviews for indirect comparisons, so far I've seen posted elsewhere for the 3080
74 for BL3
118 for MW
80 for Gears

So unless there's more going on, doesn't look like a 3080 killer, but we'll probably need to wait for the real announcement in half a month & then the usual third party followups.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 8, 2020

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Digital Foundry takes a look at DLSS Ultra Performance mode at 8k

tl/dr: DLSS is good, but not magic - native 8K is far superior, 1440p->8k is just asking too much from it. 4k DLSS->8K provides comparable quality to native, but 1440P in ultra performance mode just introduces too many artifacts.

*throws 8K TV in the trash*

Someone make :dawkins101: but with Jensen and a video card.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

pack it in nvidiailures

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

lurksion posted:

So unless there's more going on, doesn't look like a 3080 killer, but we'll probably need to wait for the real announcement in half a month & then the usual third party followups.

Yeah, looks like 5-15% below a 3080 in what I'd assume are best-case tests right now, and obviously no DLSS and probably limited RT capabilities.

But if they can drop a card like that at $600 and do so in quantity, I could see a lot of people going for it.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Yeah my takeaway from 4k -> 8k as good as native is "it's still loving magic."

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

VorpalFish posted:

Yeah... pretty hilariously effective if that's actually true.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

VorpalFish posted:

No loving poo poo lmao

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Nvidia must not be allowed to monopolize the supply chain of witches who imbue every RTX card with a DLSS incantation.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Sagebrush posted:

ZappBranniganCSIMiami.gif

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Euphoriaphone posted:

I swapped out one of the other cables I got in the pack, and it seems to be working now without issue, G-Sync included. I tested it out with some Mirror's Edge 2 at 4K/120hz and it was smooooth.

One thing I noticed is in-game, it has to be locked to 120hz for it to look noticeably better than 60hz to me. If the game hovers around 90-100hz, I don't notice a material improvement over 60hz. Even the 3090 couldn't max out Mirror's Edge 2 and keep it locked to 120hz. It actually looked much better dropping the settings to medium to get the smoother framerate.

Nice dude! Yeah ME2 is unoptimized as hell I think.

Personally I see a giant difference from 60 to 100 fps. I've been playing RDR2 at an average of 4K/100fps for a few hours and it's loving great. Not saying you're wrong just my experience!!

What blows my mind is how everything good about OLED works together on HDMI 2.1:

1) single digit input lag
2) near instant pixel response
3) OLED contrast / black levels
4) 4K 120
5) real HDR

And they kind of compound on each other to make an experience that is, if anything, even better than I expected. I don't even know what I would improve at this point. Maybe 4K/240 or something I guess? lol. I don't mean to gush it's just like, the culmination of everything we knew the tech could be. I've been waiting for approaching 2 years for this and it would be so easy to like... be disappointed given the high expectations, but it really came through.

If you're looking for something to check out, Hades is a game that has really blown my mind so far, it's not intensive or anything but it's super fast paced so the pixel and input lag and high FPS shine, the art is vibrant and dark. It relies on everything that makes OLED good. It's also a loving awesome game.

quote:

https://www.bluejeanscable.com/. I don't know anything about the quality of the product, but I will say the quality of the website is top notch.[/url]

Hah! Yeah their website is... not great. They somehow have a great reputation in the... um... cable community? Weird typing that out but it's true. They are a go-to on the high end. I know very little about it though.

VorpalFish posted:

DLSS is god tier and it's endlessly funny to me how many AMD people are like "ITS FAKE BRO ITS JUST UPSCALING" like so? What's your loving point dude, guess what video games are fake too dawg, they're rendering a fake thing that you are seeing, so why are you mad? People find funny ways to justify things that are threatening to their worldview.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Taima posted:

Nice dude! Yeah ME2 is unoptimized as hell I think.

Personally I see a giant difference from 60 to 100 fps. I've been playing RDR2 at an average of 4K/100fps for a few hours and it's loving great. Not saying you're wrong just my experience!!

What blows my mind is how everything good about OLED works together on HDMI 2.1:

1) single digit input lag
2) near instant pixel response
3) OLED contrast / black levels
4) 4K 120
5) real HDR

And they kind of compound on each other to make an experience that is, if anything, even better than I expected. I don't even know what I would improve at this point. Maybe 4K/240 or something I guess? lol. I don't mean to gush it's just like, the culmination of everything we knew the tech could be. I've been waiting for approaching 2 years for this and it would be so easy to like... be disappointed given the high expectations, but it really came through.

If you're looking for something to check out, Hades is a game that has really blown my mind so far, it's not intensive or anything but it's super fast paced so the pixel and input lag and high FPS shine, the art is vibrant and dark. It relies on everything that makes OLED good. It's also a loving awesome game.

Hah! Yeah their website is... not great. They somehow have a great reputation in the... um... cable community? Weird typing that out but it's true. They are a go-to on the high end. I know very little about it though.

DLSS is god tier and it's endlessly funny to me how many AMD people are like "ITS FAKE BRO ITS JUST UPSCALING" like so? What's your loving point dude, guess what video games are fake too dawg, they're rendering a fake thing that you are seeing, so why are you mad? People find funny ways to justify things that are threatening to their worldview.

I’m glad HDMI 2.1 4k 120hz is working well for you. That’s the only reason I’m looking to upgrade from my 2080 Ti, so I can finally

🔥UNLEASH MY LG C9🔥

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Hell yeah brother! If you're planning on doing that soon, hit up LG and have them blast you the new firmware that enables GSync at 120hz. They are saying it won't hit standard channels for 6 weeks.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Of course who really gives a poo poo about 8k at this point, but Nvidia certainly made it a marketing point - if not a major one - for the 3090, I mean they got Linus to do a 10 minute ad on it (yeah not exactly arm pulling involved).

DLSS Ultra-performance was marketed at allowing "8K" at playable framerates - if DLSS UP doesn't actually look anything close to 8k, it at least deserves to be mentioned, regardless of how small the market may be - Nvidia made it a point of focus for their $1500 product.

Considering how often DF does pieces that skirt close to advertorials, a little bewildering to see the reaction here "Like, duh it's still magic" when they actually investigate marketing claims.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Taima posted:

Hell yeah brother! If you're planning on doing that soon, hit up LG and have them blast you the new firmware that enables GSync at 120hz. They are saying it won't hit standard channels for 6 weeks.

How do I do that? Call customer support?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Of course who really gives a poo poo about 8k at this point, but Nvidia certainly made it a marketing point - if not a major one - for the 3090, I mean they got Linus to do a 10 minute ad on it (yeah not exactly arm pulling involved).

Tech Jesus did a 30 minute video on it too! :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Animal posted:

🔥UNLEASH MY LG C9🔥

I am hoping that Amazon Prime day next week brings two things:

(1) 3080's in quantity (lol)
(2) C9's at a discount

Because boy howdy it'd be great to grab a 65" C9 for like $1500.