Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

willroc7 posted:

I would still look for a fun car in addition to the wagon, if that happens. I currently have 2 cars for the family at the moment, a 2011 Audi A8L with 115k on it (bought at 99k, has been mostly flawless thus far) and a 2006 Saab 9-3 sedan with a 5 speed manual (123k, owned by my wife since 70k). The Passat would be a replacement for the Saab, while a 996 would be a replacement for my S4, kinda. ]

This was in a wall of text I posted above, I feel like you must have missed it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Regardless I appreciate your input even if it wasn’t what I want to hear. You all are very helpful.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
Buy a turbo/sc'ed BRZ/86/FRS :v:

I actually have that on my shortlist when some other stuff is done because I realized that if I wanted to replace my beloved 968, a modded 86 twin would be about the same price and better in almost every way. If you extended that out to ~20k 996s, you'd probably end up with a lot more car for the money and way less maintenance overall if you're not married to rear engine but want a driver's car with a backseat. Sure mustang/camaro but ehhhhhh

Failing that, the green one looks really good and the bit of money extra up front will more than pay for itself in resale and deferred maintenance. They're just cars.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137246 there you go

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

How much were the 987s you were looking it? The ones I considered earlier were around 25k and that's not really "cheap Porsche" territory, is it? Obviously there's never a guarantee that something won't go wrong but in that range they generally seem new and well maintained enough to not immediately require a ton of work. Only tiptronic and IMS are dealbreakers, really.

987.1 were mostly 22-26k regardless of trim, 987.2 were anywhere from 28k (Base) up to 42k (S, low miles). I saw a 981 with only 5700 miles that was 54k but didn't spend much less on mine with 18k miles but absolutely perfect options.

The earliest car I looked at and immediately shied away from was a 2008 987.1 with Tiptronic, black aftermarket wheels, a very nice red and black stickers livery, and was at a Ford dealership for only 18k. That was definitely a Cheap Porsche.

I'm working on fitting a wireless charger under the rubber mat in the armrest bin, not that I mind plugging my phone in but it'll be cool. There's even a nice access hole underneath already to tuck electronics away and access 12v from the cig port.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Parking mishap in the Macan means it gets a new hood and, uh, bumper cover.

Anyone want to take a guess what Geico wrote it for?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Residency Evil posted:

$5600

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Residency Evil posted:

$8k would be my guess. The hood and front bumper is complicated.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

McTinkerson posted:

$8k would be my guess. The hood and front bumper is complicated.

Uhh, yeah, just about $5k. You guys are good. Apparently hoods are expensive.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

willroc7 posted:

I sold my 2007 Audi S4 manual with 73k on it earlier this summer as I was worried about losing my job due to COVID and wanted to shore up savings, but I really miss the car and it's sent me shopping. If I did lose my job I would need to sell it relatively quickly.

i am gonna be the BFC party pooper and say that if there is a situation where you lose your job, the 996 market is probably going to be soft as gently caress and unloading that car will be difficult. so if you would need the money in the event of job loss, you can't afford the car. porsches are for spare money. doesn't sound like you are in that kind of situation where you have 25k spare.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
OP have you considered a Mercedes Benz G55 AMG?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i am gonna be the BFC party pooper and say that if there is a situation where you lose your job, the 996 market is probably going to be soft as gently caress and unloading that car will be difficult. so if you would need the money in the event of job loss, you can't afford the car. porsches are for spare money. doesn't sound like you are in that kind of situation where you have 25k spare.

Sounds like gatekeeping to me.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

willroc7 posted:

I feel like you aren’t entirely reading my posts. I have 2 other cars to rely on. Even if the car was a total loss for reasons that remain unclear to me, I’d still have food on the table and a roof over my head...

I’m not sure why you’re being so hyperbolic. It’s striking me as low key gate keeping, if I’m honest.

as someone that just effectively wrote off the shell of a $20k car with no insurance* he is just saying make sure you're in the position to not be financially constrained if it does happen. in my case, my AC unit died on saturday for which I paid $13k to replace and then i binned the car off on sunday morning. poo poo does indeed happen

*track car on track

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Why would the 996 market be any softer than it is now? Values actually seem to be increasing. My company could do layoffs at any point, market crash or not. They already cut about 10% from my location.

edit: it's all extra money until I lose my job

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

willroc7 posted:

Why would the 996 market be any softer than it is now? Values actually seem to be increasing. My company could do layoffs at any point, market crash or not. They already cut about 10% from my location.

Because in a down market the people impacted are at the bottom of the market first. Do you really think people with $200k toy car money are playing in the $20k toy car economy? Or is it more likely that people buying $20k cars are overwhelmingly the kind of people who say thing like "it's all extra money until I lose my job" and people with 200k toy car money don't actually punch a time clock and will be fine regardless of how this goes?. I believe it's the latter, which means the 996 market virtually disappears when "working class but with $20k toy car money" economic levels get hit.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i'm just saying if my company was actively trimming headcount at my site in the midst of a global pandemic i would probably NOT slang 20k on a toy car

i waited until i had one year of expenses saved before i thought about buying a toy car and it took a lot of effort to force myself to do so, so i'm probably on the conservative end of things with spending money on poo poo i want and don't need and so that obviously is going to color my advice. but it seems like you will really regret having bought the 996 if you lose your job, and you seem to think that losing your job is somewhat likely, even more so than average right now, so therefore it's probably not a good idea.

values are increasing because 10%ers are still doing fine and that's who's buying 996s. if you get laid off it probably will correlate with other economic problems which means a bunch of people who, like you, stretched to buy a 996 are gonna be trying to sell their cars. this will be good for me in the event i decide to buy a 996 but it will not be good for you, man who will need to sell his 996 to keep a roof over his head.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
If you sell your other cars then technically this isn't a toy car anymore :hmmyes:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Jymmybob posted:

If you sell your other cars then technically this isn't a toy car anymore :hmmyes:

this guy gets it

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Differentiating a bit much between a used Porsche and any other 20k car though. Go buy some new econobox at that sticker and try to unload it a year later. It's not any harder to justify an econobox as a third vehicle, but whatever. Taking either to a track (or under-insuring otherwise) is just a dumb risk.

Y'all seem to put these cars on some high pedestal like a crazy exotic that will poo poo endcaps and valve springs simultaneously all over the road at any moment. I'm of the opinion that a used Porsche would already have done that if it was going to (see: many IMS cars doing fine ten years on).

That Cayman is my new daily. I still have the Saturn Catbox around just in case, but I also have a few things warranty covered. I'll concede that private-party cash sale is a different beast.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 6, 2020

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Well I’m going to hold off for now. Maybe the market will drop this winter and I’ll be able to scoop something up.

I am buying that Passat wagon though so hop on over to the vw Audi thread if you wanna see me get poo poo on in there.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Ranzear posted:

Differentiating a bit much between a used Porsche and any other 20k car though. Go buy some new econobox at that sticker and try to unload it a year later. It's not any harder to justify an econobox as a third vehicle, but whatever. Taking either to a track (or under-insuring otherwise) is just a dumb risk.

Y'all seem to put these cars on some high pedestal like a crazy exotic that will poo poo endcaps and valve springs simultaneously all over the road at any moment. I'm of the opinion that a used Porsche would already have done that if it was going to (see: many IMS cars doing fine ten years on).

That Cayman is my new daily. I still have the Saturn Catbox around just in case, but I also have a few things warranty covered. I'll concede that private-party cash sale is a different beast.

i'm not a porsche owner but I will happily wave around a giant loving folder of receipts for my high performance nazimobile which is right at the point where like every single suspension component needs replaced

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ranzear posted:

You're right, it's not any harder. It's much easier. Am I missing the point you're trying to make here? Other than saying that no, they aren't high strung exotics that break all the time (nobody has claimed that - they are by and large the most streetable/potential daily driver sports cars out there) while downplaying the part about "if they were and continue to be maintained well and if something happens the parts cost minimum of triple the econobox and good luck if you don't do your own work"?

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Motronic posted:

You're right, it's not any harder. It's much easier. Am I missing the point you're trying to make here? Other than saying that no, they aren't high strung exotics that break all the time (nobody has claimed that - they are by and large the most streetable/potential daily driver sports cars out there) while downplaying the part about "if they were and continue to be maintained well and if something happens the parts cost minimum of triple the econobox and good luck if you don't do your own work"?

You're in here talking about 'throwing away' $25k like a single mechanical problem would total the car or he's gonna drive it without insurance.

He'd still have a much better time unloading a 996 in an emergency than an econobox that loses $6k the instant the pen touches the paper.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i'm not a porsche owner but I will happily wave around a giant loving folder of receipts for my high performance nazimobile which is right at the point where like every single suspension component needs replaced

Mercedes?

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Oct 7, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Ranzear posted:

You're in here talking about 'throwing away' $25k like a single mechanical problem would total the car or he's gonna drive it without insurance.

He'd still have a much better time unloading a 996 in an emergency than an econobox that loses $6k the instant the pen touches the paper.

Mercedes?

M car

nobody's telling him to get an econobox dude i dunno where that's coming from

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

He said the cursed word, begone VANOS!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So is this like the Ferrari thing where you have to afford to buy two to own one?

For most people I imagine there's no such thing as disposable money, even if you don't need it to survive, you'd be parking 20-100k in a car instead of growing your portfolio or going for a fancy vacation or racing spec miata etc . It's going to be a trade-off.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Ranzear posted:

Those points were made in the context of financial situation, not reliability.

As in, is it wise to buy a third car for $20-$25k, which if it does break down, or if you do lose your job, would cause you immediate financial stress due to the fact that you now have a $20-$25k car, and not that same money in savings to tide you over since you just lost your job in the middle of a pandemic.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

the middle of a pandemic.

Ever the optimist eh?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

:lol:

:smith:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Just because we have a pandemic doesn't mean we can't get a new one this season too. 2020 isn't over.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

if u wanna get real depressed i think there's a decent chance we look back on 2020 fondly in a few years

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

What happens if you combine the stock market crash of 2000 with the housing bubble crash of 2008? Do we at least get cheap Porsches from it?

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

MomJeans420 posted:

What happens if you combine the stock market crash of 2000 with the housing bubble crash of 2008? Do we at least get cheap Porsches from it?

Nah, that just means Jerry Seinfeld descends into full hoarder madness and buys up everything becoming the official/unofficial used car arm of Porsche North America.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

In any crash the people who buy Porsches are not the one impacted.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

BigPaddy posted:

new porsche buyers, maybe, although the demos aren't that favorable compared to say, E-class wagon buyers

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

BigPaddy posted:

Are you confusing Porsche with McLaren or Ferrari?? You can buy a new Porsche for ~60k. That’s wage earner territory. I’m not saying that is necessarily a good idea, but you guys all seem to think every Porsche is way more expensive and exotic than it really is. Some certainly are, but those are exceptions.

No, I don’t have a Porsche, because they’re too expensive. :shobon:

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I don’t have one cause they are never for sale I don’t know what the hell happened. I just want to look cool to really old men.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i don't like owning an expensive car that dumb randos know is an expensive car just by lookin at it

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i don't like owning an expensive car that dumb randos know is an expensive car just by lookin at it

Same. You tend to feel like much less of an rear end in a top hat, although maybe that's just me.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Oct 9, 2020

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

My summer wheels have been delivered but there seems to be a small problem

E: super nice wheels though

E2: I'm going to need to replace the matte grey logos

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Oct 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010