Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Kilazar posted:

Thanks for the help. These threads move too fast for me to keep up with a thread that I only come into once a year. I'm also gathering more information as to configuration as the information is all over the place.

Don't sweat it, Zaphod42 is consistently one of the most aggro posters in the forums for some reason. To answer your other question, I own the game on Steam but launch through Oculus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kilazar posted:

Thanks for the help. These threads move too fast for me to keep up with a thread that I only come into once a year. I'm also gathering more information as to configuration as the information is all over the place.

IDK man I skim the last couple pages on any thread I drop into (CTRL+F "squadrons" saves some time), and we've been talking about this a lot.

I'm hoping to god that this improves things

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 7, 2020

Ceive
Dec 19, 2006

thank pizza skeltal

I received this email last week for my g2 pre-order.

quote:

HP has announced that they will begin shipping HP Reverb G2 units in November. Deliveries will be prioritized based on your order date.

If you placed your order before September 24, 2020, you can expect to receive your headset in November. Due to high demand, customers who place their orders after this date will receive delivery as early as December.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Enos Cabell posted:

Don't sweat it, Zaphod42 is consistently one of the most aggro posters in the forums for some reason. To answer your other question, I own the game on Steam but launch through Oculus.

Oh you can do that? Maybe that is my problem. When you launch it through oculus does it still launch steam vr?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Kilazar posted:

Oh you can do that? Maybe that is my problem. When you launch it through oculus does it still launch steam vr?

Yeah, either way you still have to have both Oculus and Steam running. Basically whenever you launch a game in SteamVR it will also create a shortcut to that game in the Oculus library which will then launch SteamVR and the game when you select it. So you can just put your headset on, and then launch Squadrons right from there without having to load anything else.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

peter gabriel posted:

Hell yeah!
DK1 days were incredible, everything was mind blowing.
I remember the revelation that if you put certain types of see through plastic behind the lenses it acted like anti aliasing, and I was all over that, ripping poo poo apart to try it, it did work but :lol: at the thought of it now.
Me and a pal had a DK1 each and it was just the best, the general public had zero clue this poo poo was even possible and I had a great summer showing it people, mainly on rollercoasters ha ha.
It was just a joyous time, hacking games up in tridef to make them sort of work, my pal would ring me and just say 'what about bioshock?' and we'd spend the day on the phone making it work.
The reactions I had that summer ranged from a grown man crying a bit because this was his childhood dream, right through to a guy who just kept saying 'nope, nope... nope' all the way around a coaster demo, then when it was over he took off the headset, handed it me and said 'I'm not having that' and he never mentioned it again, ever :laugh:

I remember how big of a step up the DK2 was, when I finally got my delivery i must have spent an hour just moving my head around in the desk scene, and calling people in to tell them they had to take a look at it now, you can lean in to the cards and under the desk! What madness!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Enos Cabell posted:

I own the game on Steam but launch through Oculus.

Have you noticed any difference? It has been mostly fine running through steam on my Rift S. I do get occasional hiccups though, mostly in the first few seconds of story missions and fleet battles. Although I mostly chalked those up to running it on ultra with a 1070 :v:

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Have you noticed any difference? It has been mostly fine running through steam on my Rift S. I do get occasional hiccups though, mostly in the first few seconds of story missions and fleet battles. Although I mostly chalked those up to running it on ultra with a 1070 :v:

I get the exact same perfomance on step low-ultra for the VR setting. Whenever there is a terrain object in view, or if I roll, it gets twitchy. So if you are trying to fly through obstacles at high speed the frame rate drops. Open space is fine.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Naw, seems to run the same no matter how I launch it. I get the same brief hiccup right when it loads in, but after that it's smooth sailing. This is on ultra settings with 100% resolution scaling fwiw.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Even in flatscreen, only the flights work smooth. The Hangar and pre-game lobby is utter dogshit and the performance is rear end there. Even the menus are laggy sometimes, but the games work fine for the most part.

Crimson Chin
Aug 16, 2005

mister happy turtle is a happy turtle
I just got my index! Had only tried a vive a few years ago, but really fancied taking the plunge.

Was wondering if it is supposed to be this blurry though? Text, textures, everything is so blurry. I have contact lenses in and my wife has perfect vision and we both have issues, even with adjusting everything physically with the headset. Am I missing a very obvious setting in the menus or something to not make it look like arse?

2070 Super and Ryzen 5 3600 if that helps.

EDIT: and now we are feeling super disorientated. Shouldnt have done this before bed!

Crimson Chin fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 7, 2020

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Crimson Chin posted:

I just got my index! Had only tried a vive a few years ago, but really fancied taking the plunge.

Was wondering if it is supposed to be this blurry though? Text, textures, everything is so blurry. I have contact lenses in and my wife has perfect vision and we both have issues, even with adjusting everything physically with the headset. Am I missing a very obvious setting in the menus or something to not make it look like arse?

EDIT: and now we are feeling super disorientated. Shouldnt have done this before bed!

I have not used an index myself, but it's hard to say for sure if the blurriness is hardware related or of you are just not used to the fact that, at least in this point in time , VR is going to look a bit fuzzy compared to flat screen, at least things off in the distance will. Hopefully that won't be the case down the road.

But if it's blurry in the sense that it looks out of focus, it's a problem with the way you are wearing the HMD, if it's blurry in the sense that some things look fuzzy, it's likely something you can tinker with to get it to look better. It should not be distractingly blurry in any headset. The main settings you'll probably want to mess around with in both steam VR and in game are Temporal AA, supersampling and resolution.

What game are you trying to play?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Is the sweet spot on an Index fairly small or am I thinking of another headset? Might just need to adjust it a bit more on your face.

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.
Always start by tightening the top, then the back, then tilt the visor up or down. People sometimes don't realize that the visor section tilts, and helps a lot. Unless you are playing a game that ignores steams super sampling percent, then it will look like poo poo until you find it's resolution setting. Those games piss me off
Also, the lenses can get smudged easily.

Edit: I always turn off AA in games, because it always looks like Vaseline to me. Also bloom can sometimes do that too.

Happyimp fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Oct 7, 2020

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Crimson Chin posted:

it shouldn't look blurry - at worst it should look pixelated. make sure you have it positioned well, in the sweet spot, and that the lenses aren't fogged up!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
For my Index, I follow this guide, more or less:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=5523-WTGC-1875

I'll ratchet the strap up and out of the way, place the visor on my face wherever it makes the best sweet spot, then hold it there with one hand and bring down/adjust/tighten the straps with my other hand, so that when I let go of the visor, it stays put in that sweet spot.

The Index will get blurry in a hurry if it's shifted out of the sweet spot, I find. I tighten it pretty hard when I'm playing games with lots of physical head movement, like Thrill of the Fight or Pistol Whip. I keep it a bit more loose when I'm playing flight sims, in part because I'll play those for hours at a time and don't want tons of pressure on my head the whole time.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Crimson Chin posted:

There's a LOT of factors that could be involved, its gonna take some troubleshooting.

For one, make sure the HMD is properly aligned. If its a little high or low on your eyes, it'll look very blurry.

Next, check steam VR's settings to make sure you're rendering at 100% or higher resolution. You can dynamically scale for better clarity or performance, as needed for games.

Have you tested multiple apps? SteamVR Home vs a game?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Kilazar posted:

Are you running through steam vr or directly through oculus app?

Steam VR here

Tom Guycot posted:

I remember how big of a step up the DK2 was, when I finally got my delivery i must have spent an hour just moving my head around in the desk scene, and calling people in to tell them they had to take a look at it now, you can lean in to the cards and under the desk! What madness!

When I got my DK2 it was a game changer for sure, I totally bonked my head on my desk too with the table demo :laugh:

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Crimson Chin posted:

Beyond what everyone's said, one fit detail that I would emphasize because it helped me a lot: The entire visor can be tilted, and in fact you should try to tilt it "inwards" so that the bottom part is leaning against your cheekbones rather than the top part on your forehead. That makes the fit a lot more stable for me (and more comfortable for longer periods of time), which reduces the likelihood of the headset shifting slightly and losing the focus "sweet spot". Before that, most of the weight was supported by the top strap and that would give me massive pressure headaches within an hour.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Shine posted:

For my Index, I follow this guide, more or less:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=5523-WTGC-1875

I'll ratchet the strap up and out of the way, place the visor on my face wherever it makes the best sweet spot, then hold it there with one hand and bring down/adjust/tighten the straps with my other hand, so that when I let go of the visor, it stays put in that sweet spot.

The Index will get blurry in a hurry if it's shifted out of the sweet spot, I find. I tighten it pretty hard when I'm playing games with lots of physical head movement, like Thrill of the Fight or Pistol Whip. I keep it a bit more loose when I'm playing flight sims, in part because I'll play those for hours at a time and don't want tons of pressure on my head the whole time.

It took me at least a month to figure out how to properly wear it.. the tendency is to put it way too high on the face but this hmd comes down low on my cheeks when it's sitting right, determined by centering the vertical fov. Also found it needs to be tilted fwd a bit, which made it dig into my cheeks until I stacked some magnets at the top face gasket mounts. I have 6mm there now and made a little black felt strip to keep the light from leaking.

I'm losing some fov from the spacers but glare is much better and sweet spot seems bigger that way. Also have counterweights on the back of the strap to get the load off my cheeks. I bought the one from Studioform (200g) and added another 150g slug to that. I can now wear the strap p loose and even though the overall weight is higher it's far more comfortable especially for a long sesh

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

With every headset I’ve used I’ve always found it beneficial to just loosen it up as much as possible, hold the front and find the sweet spot with my hands. From there you can tighten it with an idea of where the best point of focus is.

It’s never been an issue for me since VR shifted even a couple of mm the wrong way is unplayable imo. So if it’s out of focus I instinctively just play around with it.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Jan posted:

Beyond what everyone's said, one fit detail that I would emphasize because it helped me a lot: The entire visor can be tilted, and in fact you should try to tilt it "inwards" so that the bottom part is leaning against your cheekbones rather than the top part on your forehead. That makes the fit a lot more stable for me (and more comfortable for longer periods of time), which reduces the likelihood of the headset shifting slightly and losing the focus "sweet spot". Before that, most of the weight was supported by the top strap and that would give me massive pressure headaches within an hour.

What kind of idiot can't figure that ou....

Oh poo poo. Oh poo poo. It's me. I didn't realize that you could do that, it's so much easier to get on and off lol

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jenny Agutter posted:

oh yeah to the person who was asking for VR recommendations: if you have a partner or a co-op gaming friend do pick up Carly and the Reaperman, its one of the best asymmetrical co-op experiences ever and its compatible with steam remote play

Thanks for the recommendation, this looks to be extremely my poo poo. I wish there were more VR/flat local co-op titles.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

sigher posted:

Thanks for the recommendation, this looks to be extremely my poo poo. I wish there were more VR/flat local co-op titles.

Diner Duo is another VR/flat co-op game, though it's considerably less interesting for the flat player than Carly&Reaperman is.

My wife was a server for years, so she could easily keep track of a dozen orders at once and would yell reminders at me (the cook) when I got confused. It was pretty great.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

sigher posted:

Phasmphobia has VR/flat co-op if you want your friend to laugh at you while you repeatedly scream like a small child and cower in a corner in VR. (It's a legit good horror game)

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

With Quest 2 launching in less than a week and Reverb G2 soon after, I just want to offer a friendly reminder that the first few weeks are guaranteed to be a total shitshow of bugs, crashes, compatibility issues and such. Just like it always has been.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
How do the Quest 2 and Reverb G2 compare to each other? I'm vaguely interested in upgrading from a Quest 1 so if anyone knows comparisons to that system I'm interested.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Phasmphobia has VR/flat co-op if you want your friend to laugh at you while you repeatedly scream like a small child and cower in a corner in VR. (It's a legit good horror game)

https://www.reddit.com/r/PhasmophobiaGame/comments/j6nmje/no_more_playing_at_night/

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Gort posted:

How do the Quest 2 and Reverb G2 compare to each other? I'm vaguely interested in upgrading from a Quest 1 so if anyone knows comparisons to that system I'm interested.
I only know things based on impressions I've read/watched/whatever.

They're pretty close in terms of raw technical specs, resolution is a bit lower on the Quest 2 but they're in the same general ballpark. Out of the box Quest 2 will be a bit mediocre as a PCVR headset, with a 72hz refresh rate and heavily compressed visuals. This will improve down the track and the option to do wireless with Virtual Desktop remains a significant advantage if you put the effort in to getting it set up properly. Reverb G2 wins out in terms of comfort, audio and IPD accommodation. The cloth strap on the Quest 2 looks like garbage and effectively makes the $50 premium strap a requirement, audio is basically the same as Quest 1 and the IPD mechanism only switches between 3 spots (58, 63 and 68). If you have an IPD of 65mm you may not be able to get a proper fit, though the discomfort this causes can vary. Controller tracking is still to hard to call, but the Reverb G2 does at least appear to do a significantly better job than any previous WMR headset. Plus facebook blah blah.

The Quest 2 is ridiculously good value, but there's enough issues with it that the Reverb G2 may end up being a better choice for many people.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Inacio posted:

it's $30 too
loving lol

and there are micro transactions too!

marumaru
May 20, 2013

:yikes:

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
For the earlier No Mans Sky VR talk:

They've recently made some big strides in VR performance on the experimental branch. Prior to the most recent patches I was getting high levels of reprojection and poor performance even on the lowest settings, now it's much more manageable. You might want to switch over to that and give it a shot to see how much it helps.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
Interesting headset poll, skewing to the high end but still with zero Pimax users :haw:

Will be interesting to run it again at the end of the year when the G2 has been out for a bit (i kinda think the Cosmos should be in there too)

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

FZeroRacer posted:

For the earlier No Mans Sky VR talk:

They've recently made some big strides in VR performance on the experimental branch. Prior to the most recent patches I was getting high levels of reprojection and poor performance even on the lowest settings, now it's much more manageable. You might want to switch over to that and give it a shot to see how much it helps.

Thanks for this. I will definitely check it out. Recently got a 3080 to replace my 980 ti and was surprised when NMS in VR was the only thing it couldn't tear through. FO4VR vanilla with 2x SS? Fine on a Rift S. NMS on anything besides low? 40 FPS ASW unless I stare at the ground. A shame, too, because the game looks incredible at ultra in VR. Maybe this will solve my issues. I just assumed it was CPU-limited by my 6700k.

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|
Has anyone gotten a ship date from Amazon for Quest 2 yet? Curious if I'm shadow-backordered or they just haven't gotten to it yet.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Haven't seen any movement on my Costco preorder, but their online store is notoriously bad.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

No peep from BestBuy (Canada) either but I wasn't exactly expecting anything until the package was physically on its way to me and I wasn't expecting that until street date.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Can someone let me know if this setup will work?

I primarily want to use the Quest 2 as PC VR

I want audio through my headphones connected to my PC, controls with my Xbox controller, and visuals ONLY through the headset.

So for like Star Wars Squadrons I would use my Xbox controller to pilot the ship but be able to look around using my headset.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

SCheeseman posted:

They're pretty close in terms of raw technical specs, resolution is a bit lower on the Quest 2 but they're in the same general ballpark. Out of the box Quest 2 will be a bit mediocre as a PCVR headset, with a 72hz refresh rate and heavily compressed visuals. This will improve down the track and the option to do wireless with Virtual Desktop remains a significant advantage if you put the effort in to getting it set up properly. Reverb G2 wins out in terms of comfort, audio and IPD accommodation. The cloth strap on the Quest 2 looks like garbage and effectively makes the $50 premium strap a requirement, audio is basically the same as Quest 1 and the IPD mechanism only switches between 3 spots (58, 63 and 68). If you have an IPD of 65mm you may not be able to get a proper fit, though the discomfort this causes can vary. Controller tracking is still to hard to call, but the Reverb G2 does at least appear to do a significantly better job than any previous WMR headset. Plus facebook blah blah.

The Quest 2 is ridiculously good value, but there's enough issues with it that the Reverb G2 may end up being a better choice for many people.

This makes me feel like maybe cancelling my order and just waiting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

blue squares posted:

Can someone let me know if this setup will work?

I primarily want to use the Quest 2 as PC VR

I want audio through my headphones connected to my PC, controls with my Xbox controller, and visuals ONLY through the headset.

So for like Star Wars Squadrons I would use my Xbox controller to pilot the ship but be able to look around using my headset.

I feel like this should work. If you're using Virtual Desktop, it will make your Quest the default audio output, and you'll have to adjust the settings a bit. It would be easier and probably less awkward to plug your headphones into your headset.