Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It was, but he got all mad about it recently out of no where, because of

https://mobile.twitter.com/ProjectLincoln/status/1300918961094107136

This was also posted on september 1st

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Did he seriously say it’s a gift from god? That’s gonna kill so many chuds lol

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

BobTheJanitor posted:

This was also posted on september 1st

Yes. That is why trump was suddenly talking about months old events

7of7
Jul 1, 2008
One thing that jumped out at me in the TWiV podcast about Regeneron's REGN-COV2 monoclonal antibody treatment was that it's made from "humanized" mice.

Can you imagine any of the GOP voters being in favor of such a thing? Like that's the sort of thing the GOP would try to cancel research grants over and ban at a federal level.

But their dumb reality show character president got pumped full of humanized mouse cells.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

7of7 posted:

One thing that jumped out at me in the TWiV podcast about Regeneron's REGN-COV2 monoclonal antibody treatment was that it's made from "humanized" mice.

Can you imagine any of the GOP voters being in favor of such a thing? Like that's the sort of thing the GOP would try to cancel research grants over and ban at a federal level.

But their dumb reality show character president got pumped full of humanized mouse cells.

Humanized mice??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRIyw-pJkUk

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

7of7 posted:

Isn’t that the thing where they make human-mouse hybrid cells? The god botherers would lose their poo poo over that

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

gay picnic defence posted:

Isn’t that the thing where they make human-mouse hybrid cells? The god botherers would lose their poo poo over that

Bush W lost his poo poo over it and introduced a bill to stop labs from doing that back in 06. No one had any idea what the gently caress he was talking about and eventually every scientist had to explain "No. Some pharmaceutical labs make mice grow human cells because it's a cleaner way to experiment on live humans. No one is making ManSharks to create a perfect army to attack and dethrone God"

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Trump will be about 12 days away from first showing symptoms this coming Monday. He will likely still be testing positive and shedding the virus. And they’re planning for him to do an event in Pittsburg. This is loving out of control.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Yeah it's mouse B cells that produce the antibody smashed together with human cancer cells to make them immortal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monoclonal_antibody
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybridoma_technology

They're not humanising mice, just some cells from their spleen.

Edit: also this is super, super, common. A huge range of medical tests rely on this technology.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Trump will be about 12 days away from first showing symptoms this coming Monday. He will likely still be testing positive and shedding the virus. And they’re planning for him to do an event in Pittsburg. This is loving out of control.
If he first got covid a week before thursday then that looks more like this weekend.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Sounds like perfect timing for the later phases of covid to kick in and have him collapse on stage due to ARDS in front of 10,000 screaming chuds

7of7
Jul 1, 2008

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Yeah it's mouse B cells that produce the antibody smashed together with human cancer cells to make them immortal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monoclonal_antibody
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybridoma_technology

They're not humanising mice, just some cells from their spleen.

Edit: also this is super, super, common. A huge range of medical tests rely on this technology.

Most places I've looked have referred to Regeneron's technology as literally "humanizing" mice which seems to refer to actually genetically modifying them to have a more human immune system so that the antibodies they produce are more human.

This paper from Regeneron about the Covid antibody treatment links to this other one describing how they genetically modify the mice.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Basically, the old way of making a monoclonal antibody is to inject the antigen (the coronavirus spike) into a mouse, then taking the B cells and fusing them with special tumor cells to form a hybridoma. You then isolate clones of these hybridomas, to screen for a clone that produces your specific monoclonal antibody. But all you're making are mouse antibodies, and putting a mouse antibody into a human will just make the human make anti-mouse antibodies, rendering your drug non-functional.

Therefore usually the second step is to humanize the mouse antibody, by swapping out parts of that mouse antibody with parts from a human antibody, forming a "chimeric" antibody that is "invisible" to the human immune system.

What we do now is humanize the mouse from the get-go. So the mouse will be genetically engineered to have human antibody genes, so that the final product looks like a fully human antibody. Much much faster.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

7of7 posted:

During the Bush years they tried to make a stink about "Chimeras" and I think they even passed a law to ban them

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

HappyHippo posted:

During the Bush years they tried to make a stink about "Chimeras" and I think they even passed a law to ban them

How could you let this happen!?

Edit: Boo, couldn't get the embed to work, imagine I posted the obvious FMA image :saddowns:

BougieBitch fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Oct 8, 2020

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

HappyHippo posted:

Brownback tried after Bush mentioned it in a state of the union, but the bill died. Republicans are afraid chimera means "the dog man from Invasion of the Body Snatchers" or "The Island of Dr. Moreau."

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Chimeras are mentioned in the book of revelation as something horrible.

So it's just christian nonsense, although at least it's them trying to prevent the end of the world, unlike... you know, the rest.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Grondoth posted:

Chimeras are mentioned in the book of revelation as something horrible.

So it's just christian nonsense, although at least it's them trying to prevent the end of the world, unlike... you know, the rest.

So how do you reconcile that with the "support Israel as much as possible to bring about the apocalypse" mindset?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Eric Cantonese posted:

So how do you reconcile that with the "support Israel as much as possible to bring about the apocalypse" mindset?

You don't! The most politically influential religious sect in america is literally trying to bring about the end of the world! It feels like something we all should be horrified about, but it's just a political reality since the 1970s!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Eric Cantonese posted:

Bad things happen to Those people over There is OK

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER

Evangelicals are morally opposed to whatever it is convenient to morally oppose. They so vehemently oppose abortion and gay marriage, for example, because it permits them to feel morally superior to everyone else by literally doing nothing - moral opposition does not come any more conveniently than that. Where their "moral principles" stand in the way of earthly gain, they invariably jettison them with astonishing alacrity (See: Trump, Donald J., election of). If Trumps' slurping down human-mouse hybrids made from fetuses helps them keep one foot in power, then you better believe they don't have a problem with the idea of slurping down human-mouse hybrids made from fetuses (until a Democrat does it, of course).

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
The New Testament is riddled with conflicting theological doctrines and interpretations so one could argue that being two-faced about one’s faith is a very Christian thing to be.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

uhhhhhhhhh

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Phobophilia posted:

Basically, the old way of making a monoclonal antibody is to inject the antigen (the coronavirus spike) into a mouse, then taking the B cells and fusing them with special tumor cells to form a hybridoma. You then isolate clones of these hybridomas, to screen for a clone that produces your specific monoclonal antibody. But all you're making are mouse antibodies, and putting a mouse antibody into a human will just make the human make anti-mouse antibodies, rendering your drug non-functional.

Therefore usually the second step is to humanize the mouse antibody, by swapping out parts of that mouse antibody with parts from a human antibody, forming a "chimeric" antibody that is "invisible" to the human immune system.

What we do now is humanize the mouse from the get-go. So the mouse will be genetically engineered to have human antibody genes, so that the final product looks like a fully human antibody. Much much faster.

Huh - yeah I did not know this, and that paper on how they did it is pretty interesting.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Grouchio posted:

uhhhhhhhhh

Starting to think the only donor Donnie and Co. have left is Grandfather Nurgle.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Grouchio posted:

uhhhhhhhhh

former vice presidents all bleed from the eye in modern debates. biden did it, now pence. contracts need to be paid, you see.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

mediaphage posted:

former vice presidents all bleed from the eye in modern debates. biden did it, now pence. contracts need to be paid, you see.

Dues need be repaid.

anyway. this will happen
https://twitter.com/Olivianuzzi/status/1314165624373944320

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Oct 8, 2020

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
oh yeah they probably use hek293 cells in there somewhere idk where hek293s are used freaking everywhere. they're so easy to transfect

its a very selective form of outrage because all hek293s and their descendants originated from a single source, its not like you need to constantly refresh your supply with fresh abortions

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

They only care when a Democrat does it.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Trump's already backed out of the virtual debate... low energy

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Luv 2 get spit on by my Big Wet Infectious President at a circlejerk to own the libs

A dumb Covid Rally is a Real Good use of your limited campaign funds lmao

Trump on oxygen and steroids while his cults tells him how strong big daddy is

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

EngineerJoe posted:

It’s a losing proposition either way. He either looks like a petulant child or shows himself to be a hacking mess. Since the public already knows about the former it’s a better option, I guess.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Brownback tried after Bush mentioned it in a state of the union, but the bill died. Republicans are afraid chimera means "the dog man from Invasion of the Body Snatchers" or "The Island of Dr. Moreau."

Ah, I couldn't remember if they actually passed the law or not. I just remember how ridiculous it was that the GOP was more concerned about dog-cats than.... all the other poo poo that was going on

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

EngineerJoe posted:

He was absolutely going to take the first possible excuse to back out without losing face, no matter how flimsy. He's in no shape to debate.

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude

Pants Donkey posted:

It’s a losing proposition either way. He either looks like a petulant child or shows himself to be a hacking mess. Since the public already knows about the former it’s a better option, I guess.

He said he'll do a rally, though, so we still get to see his hack-a-thon

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

HappyHippo posted:

He was absolutely going to take the first possible excuse to back out without losing face, no matter how flimsy. He's in no shape to debate.

He had also declared before this that he wouldn't debate virtually, presumably because then Sleepy Joe wouldn't be physically cowed by Trump's mighty presence in the room.

But this fits his needs like a glove. He had his verbally-push-and-shove debate performance, so now he can rant about "Biden is SCARED of the virus that I beat handily" and "Biden wouldn't face me like a MAN again" and "Biden wants a virtual debate so people can feed him his lines on a teleprompter" while avoiding being under even virtual scrutiny for any length of time.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
So did Trump go on another tweetstorm last night?

Also what's the common consensus on where he is in the disease? I read something on Tuesday saying that if he was going to crash, it would be between today and Saturday, or something like that.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

If you scroll back through this thread there are some different possible timelines put forward. But really no one fuckin knows because the White House refuses to release any sort of credible or consistent information beyond "HE WAS NEVER SICK BUT ALSO IF HE WAS HE'S CURED NOW AND BETTER THAN EVER! GET OWNED, LIBS"

Honestly the most telling thing about his condition is that the biggest attention whore in human history can hardly show himself, even on video, during the home stretch of an election.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

Gross Dude posted:

I doubt he'll actually talk himself for very long. He might cap off a bunch of speakers with a prerecorded "I'm feeling great, don't be afraid of Covid, let's go get Sleepy Joe!" message, but his days of standing up and rambling for an hour to his captive audience are over for the foreseeable future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Gross Dude posted:

That is very likely to be bullshit to show that he isn’t dropping out because he can’t debate but because virtual debates are for sissies or whatever. Don’t be surprised if the rally goes virtual with a heavily edited video of Trump pretending to be (a)live.