Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Bust Rodd posted:

Verazol is the best deck, to me personally, in terms of gameplay. Dropping them on 2 every game feels awesome. I’m also like 20-4 with Iluna Mutate, just cheating so much insane poo poo into play for free. I also think Basri/Heliod/The WWW lady are well positioned right now to be really fast and go wide.

T1 Ozolith, t2 Verazol, t3 Crystalline Giant is pretty much the nut with that deck, its amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Phrosphor posted:

Which one is ranked? There are three I can see - Premier, Traditional and Quick. Not sure which one I should be doing!

Premier and quick will both put you into ranked games.

Premier/Traditional drafts are done in groups of 8 people drafting from the same pool of cards, Quick drafts are done with arena bots taking cards out of the packs instead. Other human drafters (should) tend to value synergistic cards for their decks, while the bots tend to draft the 'strong' cards from the colors that they go into, resulting in experienced drafters being better able to find the open lane and build a cohesive deck in human drafts.

Traditional drafts are best of 3 matches and you play 3 matches total regardless of win/loss ratio and get matched up against other players with the same win/loss record. Premier and Quick are Bo1 games and you play until you have 7 wins or 3 losses, while being paired against players of similar rank

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Lone Goat posted:

Quick: bo1, bot draft, ranked
Premier: bo1, human draft, ranked
Traditional: bo3, human draft, unranked

To add to this, I'd avoid doing quick drafts whenever possible; it's cheaper but the decks you build tend to be very off and it extends to the matches you get from it. It's not a good experience, and its main benefit is either being able to take your time during the drafting portion (there's no time limit and you can stop and pick it up whenever) or out-and-out raredrafting where you don't care about what the deck you get at the end looks like at all. It looks like going forwards you won't even get cosmetic rewards from quick/bot draft either as well

Also, if you're a new player, there's several promo codes you can plug into Arena to get free stuff: https://draftsim.com/mtg-arena-codes/

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
for folks who watch Day9, what are some of his absolute best deck videos? I saw this while looking for a video and it was a joy to watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ADD2H3N1Uk&hd=1

it's a gloriously stupid gimmick that is exactly what I envisioned upon seeing Colossification and the video is great fun, anything else of his on that level of silly shenanigans beyond What The Deck?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Silhouette posted:

T1 Ozolith, t2 Verazol, t3 Crystalline Giant is pretty much the nut with that deck, its amazing

I prefer T3 Hydra’s Growth, I don’t like playing with giant, I just despise “random” dice-rolly effects like that. Hydra’s
Growth feels super unbeatable if they don’t kill it immediately.

Anywho, I dunno what this says about my broken and diseased human brain but I awoke this morning and the literal first thought I experienced was “drat it’s hosed up that the creature Glenn resembles most is the one know for having ‘cold eyes’”.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

If anyone was remotely interested in the Grand Finals, here's a compiled list of all the decks revealed so far.

https://mtgazone.com/2020-season-grand-finals-standard-and-historic-decklists/

Looks bad Todd

What's with all the Yasharns in the historic decklists? Is everyone really afraid of Cat Oven even though apparently no one is playing that deck? It makes shocklands not as good?

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 7, 2020

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Yasharn shuts down all the previous top decks in the metagame, mono-B gift, jund sac, neoform combo are all shut down by yasharn. Jund sac and mono-B gift were both top performers in the last historic tournament.

Yasharn also draws you 2 guaranteed land drops and provides an excellent 4/4 beat stick for 4 mana. It's just a really solid card all around.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Fish Of Doom posted:

What's with all the Yasharns in the historic decklists? Is everyone really afraid of Cat Oven even though apparently no one is playing that deck? It makes shocklands not as good?

Shuts down Neoform, rakdos sac, GPG etc., while also being a 3-for-1 if you can make use of those lands.

You really want to have a plan against all the decks you think might be in the field, even if you focus on what you think will be the most popular.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

The Azorius Control guy running 2 maindeck Grafdigger's Cages knows how to metagame properly. It hates on Sacrifice, Uro, and Neoform all in one card and every other deck revealed so far is either Neoform or Uro based.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Fish Of Doom posted:

The Azorius Control guy running 2 maindeck Grafdigger's Cages knows how to metagame properly. It hates on Sacrifice, Uro, and Neoform all in one card and every other deck revealed so far is either Neoform or Uro based.

It doesn’t really do much against Omnath Adventures does it?

EDIT: Whoops forgot that it rotated out of Standard. Carryon.

Crackbone fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 7, 2020

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004

Crackbone posted:

It doesn’t really do much against Omnath Adventures does it?

No one's playing Omnath adventures in Historic. Every Historic Omnath deck runs Uro.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Hello I know not everyone reads the eternal thread because not everyone plays the best formats in magic, so here's a crosspost

Skyl3lazer posted:

Hello Yachtsmen, it's Eternal Weekend time (on MTGO!)

https://magic.gg/news/eternal-weekend-2020-on-magic-online

$25 entry, 3 days for Legacy (Oct 16-18), and 2 days for Vintage (Oct 24 - 25). $25 entry for any of the 6 events (3 and 3) will get you a god account that you can brew with for the weekend. You can even win oversized art cards too!

If you don't play these formats normally, $25 for a weekend of some of the most fun in magic is still worth it!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/tolariancollege/status/1313637755654557697?s=21

Whatever anyone thinks about the Professor he started a charity drive on Twitter last night for a Trans charity and I guess he’s raised like $45,000.00 overnight? That’s loving hyper sweet and I maintain he’s the best MtG CC out there.

https://twitter.com/tolariancollege/status/1313901844666609664?s=21

Edit: Woot they stopped at 50 I guess, drat that’s a nice chunk of change

https://twitter.com/tolariancollege/status/1313914440400556032?s=21

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 7, 2020

Rynder
Mar 26, 2009
I love the prof and this is great, but imagine WOTC trolls him and offers sets of TWD secret lair as additional draw support.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Turns out I should have played around the double Genesis Ultimatum double Into the Wild deck yourself, play your entire hand, Kenrith for haste and have exactly enough mana for the lethal Stomp afterward turn. Silly me.

I could have left behind one extra blocker if only I'd known he'd 23 me from an empty board.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 7, 2020

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Welcome to standard

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Skyl3lazer posted:

Welcome to standard

I've seen stupid broken Omnath plays before but that was the stupidest and broken-est.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I've seen stupid broken Omnath plays before but that was the stupidest and broken-est.

That’s why Omnath sucks so much, the entire game up to “The Turn” doesn’t matter. They just go off and put their deck into play and any advantages you’ve spent the game fighting over are completely negated because they cast Omnath and played a Fabled Passage.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I had someone go genesis ult getting omnath+cobra into genesis ult getting kentrith+glasspool mimic in historic last night.

I won that game because cat oven is awesome.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I killed an Omnath player on turn 4 with my UWr party deck today. He had a slow hand that couldn't stop my onslaught.

T1: Archpriest of Iona
T2: Watcher of the Spheres, swing for 2
T3: Legion Angel, swing for 6
T4: Glasspool Mimic, swing for 12

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Chamale posted:

I killed an Omnath player on turn 4 with my UWr party deck today. He had a slow hand that couldn't stop my onslaught.

T1: Archpriest of Iona
T2: Watcher of the Spheres, swing for 2
T3: Legion Angel, swing for 6
T4: Glasspool Mimic, swing for 12

Whats that decklist.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
I realized I never reported back about old drafting on Tabletop Simulator - we did Invasion Block instead of Odyssey, as both a friend and someone here suggested, and everyone had a lot of fun.

Didn’t get too many rounds in because most of us were new to TTS and it’s a much jankier than Arena, but it’s a blast. Great to get away from current Standard.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Bugsy posted:

Whats that decklist.

4 Archpriest of Iona
4 Kitesail Cleric
4 Nimble Trapfinder
4 Watcher of the Spheres
4 Brazen Borrower
3 Linvala, Shield of Sea Gate
2 Legion Angel
3 Winota, Joiner of Forces
3 Tazri, Beacon of Unity
3 Skyclave Basilica/Skyclave Cleric
3 Glasspool Shore/Glasspool Mimic
2 Plains
1 Island
1 Mountain
4 Fabled Passage
4 Riverglide Pathway
4 Needleverge Pathway
3 Branchloft Pathway
2 Brightclimb Pathway
2 Clearwater Pathway

Sideboard:
2 Legion Angel
4 Archon of Emeria
4 Concerted Defense
4 Drannith Magistrate
1 Skyclave Basilica/Skyclave Cleric

This is very much a work in progress, and I'm open to suggestions! I'm climbing through Platinum with this version of it. The manabase is ugly because of Tazri - you'll generally want two white sources, two blue sources, and a red source, but additional fliplands can be played as green or black to activate his ability cheaper.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
It's less clear in her new art but Tazri's a woman.

It'd be cool if a party deck was playable but that would require Linvala's anti-wrath ability to be relevant and in Insane Ramp Standard control is built entirely to crush aggro and have a counterspell up for Omnath, so

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Bust Rodd posted:

https://twitter.com/tolariancollege/status/1313637755654557697?s=21

Whatever anyone thinks about the Professor he started a charity drive on Twitter last night for a Trans charity and I guess he’s raised like $45,000.00 overnight? That’s loving hyper sweet and I maintain he’s the best MtG CC out there.

https://twitter.com/tolariancollege/status/1313901844666609664?s=21

Edit: Woot they stopped at 50 I guess, drat that’s a nice chunk of change

https://twitter.com/tolariancollege/status/1313914440400556032?s=21

They hit over $100k, this rules.

WotC should get in on this by offering "no terfs on gruul turf" full art Stomping Ground cosmetics on Arena.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

LeafHouse posted:

Wizards has just been slowly turning up the temperature on their customers and this year they made the mistake of cranking it up too quickly. First they added Mythic Rares and people thought that was kind of bullshit but okay sure other TCGs do it. Planeswalkers come out and some people hate them because they're too good and seem like a money grab chase card but they're pretty cool so whatever we've got to live with it. Buy-A-Box promos become a thing and they're a nice bonus but then Wizards starts making mechanically unique cards and people get annoyed. Then they start with direct to consumer sales with Mythic Ediitons and people get annoyed that their local store is cut out and that they are shut out on the shitshow of a sale so Wizards sends people a sheet of rares to say sorry and it's all good. My Little Pony cards come out and people think they're dumb but they're silver border so no big deal I guess. Secret Lair starts to become a thing and we're inundated with direct to consumer products but don't worry they're just cosmetic items so no biggie (unless you're an LGS). They start making black border IP crossover cards but put down your pitchforks because there will be in-universe alternatives for them for you to use if that's not your thing, plus these are big monsters that fit the set theme. Here we are a few months later and they are releasing direct to consumer, black border, mechanically unique, IP crossover cards with no alternatives that feature cars and modern people in them and have basically nothing to do with Magic at all.

This last year has really highlighted that Wizards wants to suck as much money out of the players as possible while providing progressively lower quality products and it's finally starting to break people. They've added countless premium products and direct revenue streams while slashing prizes for competitive play and developing some of the most broken cards (literally in the case of foils) that we've seen in over a decade. I feel like a lot of people are starting to believe that Wizards will do anything if it drives sales regardless of how it affects the quality of the game and the fear of losing the game they love to the greed of its developer is causing the outrage we're seeing right now.

This is exactly the problem I have. I feel like every 4-6 weeks or so yet another Bad Thing has come out from WOTC. It's exhausting and makes me hate the game.

Mat Cauthon posted:

They hit over $100k, this rules.

WotC should get in on this by offering "no terfs on gruul turf" full art Stomping Ground cosmetics on Arena.

Yeah I thought this charity drive was a nice idea. Threw some :10bux: at it since its a good cause.

axeil fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Oct 8, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/translifeline/status/1314000049316093952?s=21

drat this owns. Really awesome to see the Prof galvanize the good side of the community after a week straight of some of the worst magic discourse of all time.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
ah man did I miss the donation window!?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
don't worry you can just go donate without there being a fundraiser

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

flatluigi posted:

don't worry you can just go donate without there being a fundraiser

Very true, good point. I do love a raffle but I love transfolx more. #wisdom.

Oh, is this where I can ask about arena stuff? found it

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

For real though guys, Uro was the only problem card in Standard and it's good that has been fixed before the big tournament.

https://magic.gg/news/2020-season-grand-finals-metagame-breakdown

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m seeing 24 Omnath Decks and 24 Clover decks, and I’m assuming the full amount of copies in each one.

The adventure creatures are honestly good enough, you don’t need clover. Ban Omnath and Clover, give us a real standard.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsIpfmbnGX8

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

lol

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m seeing 24 Omnath Decks and 24 Clover decks, and I’m assuming the full amount of copies in each one.

The adventure creatures are honestly good enough, you don’t need clover. Ban Omnath and Clover, give us a real standard.

In retrospect it's pretty crazy how much adventure is pushed. Most of them are crazy good 2-for-1s to start with. Then there's a 2 mana artifact and 1 mana creature that makes them 3-for-1s and scales with each copy you have in play.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
After a number of games of standard I'm coming more and more to the conclusion that Escape to the Wilds is more problematic than clover

In a format without Omnath, a 1/1 for one and a 2 cmc artifact that both do nothing on their own are probably not going to be format-dominators

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

sit on my Facebook posted:

After a number of games of standard I'm coming more and more to the conclusion that Escape to the Wilds is more problematic than clover

In a format without Omnath, a 1/1 for one and a 2 cmc artifact that both do nothing on their own are probably not going to be format-dominators

Yeah... they usually aren't on their own when 75% of the deck is adventuring creatures.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

zero idea what the context for this is but lol at putting out a public apology where 40% of it is shoutouts to various patreon reward tiers

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
The problem isn't clover or Escape to the Wild - the problem is that the ramp is so good and dependable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Crackbone posted:

In retrospect it's pretty crazy how much adventure is pushed. Most of them are crazy good 2-for-1s to start with. Then there's a 2 mana artifact and 1 mana creature that makes them 3-for-1s and scales with each copy you have in play.

Yup. Now think about how many mana doubling/resource generating cards had to be banned/leave standard for them to be playable.