Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Going through Heretics of Dune and have question.

Did the Bene Gesserit and Miles Teg not know that the Honored Matres have returned to Gammu?
There's a remark that said they hand been back "100 years". Kind of big detail to miss if you have a military outpost there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Capntastic posted:

So is spice supposed to be a metaphor for something?

Frank Herbert was a true believer in the power of psychedelic drugs.

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Automatic Slim posted:

Going through Heretics of Dune and have question.

Did the Bene Gesserit and Miles Teg not know that the Honored Matres have returned to Gammu?
There's a remark that said they hand been back "100 years". Kind of big detail to miss if you have a military outpost there.

They knew, or at least taraza and the higher rank knew, that one of the groups from the scattering was pumping big money into gammu. Can't remember if they already knew that it was the honored matres, but I think it gets explained as a lot of weirdos from the scattering returning to the core over the centuries and people not really knowing what the gently caress for a while.

And then everybody suddenly knowing what the gently caress really quickly.

The whole Duncan ghola fuckmaster plot is a convoluted plan to bait the matres into glassing rakis and killing the god emperor's dreaming pearls of awareness and also use space pussy magic for universe domination, somehow.

Bubblyblubber fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Oct 8, 2020

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Capntastic posted:

So is spice supposed to be a metaphor for something?

no, it's just a singularly precious commodity necessary for all trade and travel controlled by the ruling class and only found in the desert

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
They knew that scattering influences had hit gammu but they were caught blindside on how bad it was. Remember at the start of heretics there was a civil war of sorts in the sisterhood, deliberately inflamed by the Tleilaxu who kept killing the Duncan with the implicit support of the opposition faction of the sisterhood. So the BG were distracted as the HM started to infiltrate the old empire.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
There were what, 12 Duncan ghola killed by the BT? So the "civil war" must have been going for at least a century, even if the Duncans were killed in childhood. It is intimated that some at least made it to sexual maturity, and the Tleilaxu knew they had failed because the sisterhood didn't blow up.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Doc Hawkins posted:

no, it's just a singularly precious commodity necessary for all trade and travel controlled by the ruling class and only found in the desert

now I’m just imagining paul chugging a glass of crude gasoline and tripping balls while he dies in the desert

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Doc Hawkins posted:

So, what, like tea or something??

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Fly Molo posted:

now I’m just imagining paul chugging a glass of crude gasoline and tripping balls while he dies in the desert

And his son drinks enough oil to turn into a dinosaur

poo poo, I'd read that

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
"Windmills kill birds", Paul said, as his Fedaykin went on a galactic rampage to destroy renewable energies.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

its all nice on rice posted:

i believe this is why the bene gesserit refer to prescience as "the tea"

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Wait I thought it was worm cum.That It was all a cautionary tale about protecting your bodily fluids from dastardly femoids trying to spermjack you.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Bubblyblubber posted:

They knew, or at least taraza and the higher rank knew, that one of the groups from the scattering was pumping big money into gammu. Can't remember if they already knew that it was the honored matres, but I think it gets explained as a lot of weirdos from the scattering returning to the core over the centuries and people not really knowing what the gently caress for a while.

And then everybody suddenly knowing what the gently caress really quickly.

The whole Duncan ghola fuckmaster plot is a convoluted plan to bait the matres into glassing rakis and killing the god emperor's dreaming pearls of awareness and also use space pussy magic for universe domination, somehow.

Thanks.

The first four books in the series have a lot of restraint when it comes to sex. Don’t know what happened in Herbert’s life but he lets it all hang out in the last two books.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

exmachina posted:

There were what, 12 Duncan ghola killed by the BT? So the "civil war" must have been going for at least a century, even if the Duncans were killed in childhood. It is intimated that some at least made it to sexual maturity, and the Tleilaxu knew they had failed because the sisterhood didn't blow up.

Rereading the Dune series came with a realization that there are a lot of Mary Sues in this series but still surprisingly not obnoxious.

The fascinating thing about Herbert’s plotting is that the main characters know something is about to happen, tell you how it’s going to happen, but it’s still an interesting read.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Step 1: Space pussy magic
Step 2: ???
Step 3: Universal domination

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Automatic Slim posted:

Thanks.

The first four books in the series have a lot of restraint when it comes to sex. Don’t know what happened in Herbert’s life but he lets it all hang out in the last two books.

Elder male fantasy writer brain.

Its an epidemic.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Shageletic posted:

Its an epidemic.

Tolkien seemed to avoid it but then again he was weird in all kinds of other ways. Apparently he was an anarcho-monarchist.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Shageletic posted:

Its an epidemic.

Plus herbert smoked those jazz cigarettes, they make you horny

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
While the possible postponing is pretty sad, I wanted to watch the trailer again and saw comment threads about -possibly- young people saying they are reading / already read the book for the first time after the trailer is :3: as all gently caress for me.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
On that note, the full cast audiobook is amazing. I picked it up to refresh my memory before the movie :(

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

its all nice on rice posted:

Texas tea, son :bahgawd:

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

Simone Magus posted:

On that note, the full cast audiobook is amazing. I picked it up to refresh my memory before the movie :(

The WHAT now? A frantic google search didn't come with anything, you mean the new movie cast, right?

Galewolf fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Oct 8, 2020

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
There doesn't seem to be any news about when the HBO Dune TV show will come out if at all.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Galewolf posted:

The WHAT now? A frantic google search didn't come with anything, you mean the new movie cast, right?

Sorry no, I mean the audiobook has a full voice cast that is very very good

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Honored Matres are hot as hell.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

oil does let you see the future and create mentats, by creating electricity to power computers. :smuggo:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
hbd you horny old goat.

https://twitter.com/Legendary/status/1314234183393263619?s=20

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014
"Frank Frank Frank" goes the refrain, "a million boners were not enough for dirty old Frank!"

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

The Honored Matres are hot as hell.

Every time someone brings them up Bene Geseritts call them whores. Thats some outright cattiness.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Blood sugar sucker fish
In my dish
How many pieces
Do you wish
Step into a heaven
Where I keep it on the soul side
Girl please me
Be my soul bride
Every women
Has a piece of Aphrodite
Copulate to create
A state of sexual light
Kissing her virginity
My affinity
I mingle with the gods
I mingle with divinity

Blood sugar baby
She's magik
Sex magik sex magik

Blood sugar baby
She's magik
Sex magik sex magik

Blood sugar crazy
She has it
Sex magik sex magik

Blood sugar baby
She's magik
Sex magik sex magik

Glorious euphoria
Is my must
Erotic shock
Is a function of lust
Temporarily blind
Dimensions to discover
In time

Each into the other
Uncontrollable notes
From her snow white throat
Fill a space
In which two bodies float
Operatic by voice
A fanatic by choice
Aromatic is the flower
She must be moist

Blood sugar baby
She's magik
Sex magik sex magik

Blood sugar baby
She's magik
Sex magik sex magik

Blood sugar crazy
She has it
Sex magik sex magik

Blood sugar baby
She's magik
Sex magik sex magik

niethan fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Oct 8, 2020

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

cross post from the simpsons meme thread

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

TK-42-1 posted:

cross post from the simpsons meme thread

Hahaha that's good :allears:

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Oh cool. Catch up on over 1200 new posts in this thread, just to find out the loving movie has been delayed.

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
It's not about the destination, the real jihad was the friends we made along the way

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
The way I always saw it, whores were not an insult just for HM, but for anyone who used sisterhood techniques to hold power for themselves. I remember a passage where someone, possibly Lucilla, says something like "why do you think we call them whores?"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

still say the duncan sex battle should be presented and narrated like a dbz battle, complete with bombastic recaps and previews and the peanut gallery commentating on the sidelines

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

I always liked the bit where Leto I bans the practice or ostentatiously wasting water when you wash your hands at a banquet, but then the maid staff get mad because collecting those towels was a lucrative side-hustle.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
It was pretty much " We're so rich, lets show it by just dumping a bunch of water on the floor" then the maids would squeeze all the water out of the towels and sell it

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Joke Miriam posted:

I always liked the bit where Leto I bans the practice or ostentatiously wasting water when you wash your hands at a banquet, but then the maid staff get mad because collecting those towels was a lucrative side-hustle.

Yeah! It's really good storytelling because it does so much. It shows you who Leto is, and what he values. It shows you how weird and alien Arrakis is, and shows you how their customs differ and gives you a relatable example of what the implications of that are. But it also sets up the idea that great leaders, even with the best intentions, are doomed to fail! The whole thing sets the tone that even in seemingly comfortable surroundings, the 'politics' around you is threatening and dangerous! So good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer
Leto I should have banned the use of exclamation marks at the table