Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

oldpainless posted:

Let me know when this guy gets beyond theoretical work and does actual work

More like oldcontextless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Mega Comrade posted:

Having said that I can totally imagine Harris massacring an entire population out of spite and hated while riding a dragon
Mass incarcerationincineration

Such Fun
May 6, 2013

Re: Prester Jane advocates the murder of healthcare workers

It’s the same bullshit you see in twitter mobs, and in certain threads on here too.
First an argument is divorced from context.
Then the argument is abstracted to a single sentence: “Prester Jane says we should blockade PPE factories”.
Next absolutism is applied: “Prester Jane advocates the murder of healthcare workers”.

The last step, though I haven’t seen it in this case yet, is essentialism: “Prester Jane is an advocate of murdering healthcare workers.

It’s disingenuous character assassination

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
I, for one, am stone-cold stunned that my fellow leftist goons would make bad faith interpretations of posts

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
prester jane rode a wave of adulation to opine about things far outside of her area of expertise, but regardless it's not hard to convince politics goons you know what you're talking about if you can read and regurgitate some longform articles and spice it up with calls to violence to give it that bite of raw street authenticity

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

luxury handset posted:

prester jane rode a wave of adulation to opine about things far outside of her area of expertise, but regardless it's not hard to convince politics goons you know what you're talking about if you can read and regurgitate some longform articles and spice it up with calls to violence to give it that bite of raw street authenticity

content for the thread

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Oh I didn't realize she was a goon. I thought she was like an author or public personality or whatever.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/lazycrybaby_/status/1313863762957529088

ultrafilter has a new favorite as of 20:58 on Oct 8, 2020

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

:discourse:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Oh God those poor bastards.

https://twitter.com/Shayan86/status/1314326047299719169?s=20

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Mak0rz posted:

Oh I didn't realize she was a goon. I thought she was like an author or public personality or whatever.

She has a blog and a Twitter, but is probably best known for posting here.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Oops

https://twitter.com/bad_takes/status/1314332497782738944?s=20

News story here until they take it down.

https://deadline.com/2020/10/vice-president-mike-pence-tests-positive-has-coronavirus-after-donald-trump-1234594074/

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Liberals: The Waifus of Meatspace

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

LordSaturn posted:

I was willing to take this at face value, but then Best Korea told a conflicting story and I decided to look into it

she was literally describing the conditions of a general strike, but the same category of no-context fucklords that ruin anyone even slightly weird on this website apparently started describing it as "blockading PPE factories" and "holding workers hostage" to "achieve revolution"? (the hostage bit was from the thread linked above, the other two are things you said yourself)

Elviscat, I hate to say it, but you're telling lies

EDIT: vvv the difference is the context of it being an answer to the question "what does a general strike look like"

Yeah, I took that to far, I apologize.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
https://www.newsweek.com/marine-making-racist-threats-viral-video-under-investigation-1537673

things are gonna be bad for this rear end in a top hat

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Wholesome IOSM

https://twitter.com/HenpeckedHal/status/1314334896588951552?s=20

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/TheEpicDept/status/1314266954627256320?s=20

Do not, my friends, become addicted to water

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The two genders: Anime Girls - Liberals.

Oh hey it's the raw beef guy.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

The two genders: Anime Girls - Liberals.

Oh hey it's the raw beef guy.

Everyone knows the two genders are Canada and women.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

I really like anime girls
They are so pretty
Sometimes if I’m nice to them
They’ll show me anime titties

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

The replies to that one have a lot of other great stories:

https://mobile.twitter.com/UnacceptableOne/status/1314427017518034945

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

Serious question: what’s the difference between “block all the entrances to a PPE factory” and

LordSaturn posted:

"blockading PPE factories"

?

The term doesn't seem to be used in English, or maybe it is called something else, but at least here in Denmark, a "blockade" is a union strategy in which all union workers are prohibited by the union from working for Company X in any capacity, even the ones currently employed by other companies. This differs from a normal strike in that Company X can't just hire scabs to replace their workers, since they can't even purchase goods and services from other union companies. So, it's like a general strike but targeted at a specific company.

Unfortunately, the misconception that this involves big, burly union workers physically scaring away innocent service providers is very widespread and leads to "blockading" having undue negative connotations.

Edit: I guess Solidarity action is the closest English term.

SimonChris has a new favorite as of 10:11 on Oct 9, 2020

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

SimonChris posted:

The term doesn't seem to be used in English, or maybe it is called something else, but at least here in Denmark, a "blockade" is a union strategy in which all union workers are prohibited by the union from working for Company X in any capacity, even the ones currently employed by other companies. This differs from a normal strike in that Company X can't just hire scabs to replace their workers, since they can't even purchase goods and services from other union companies. So, it's like a general strike but targeted at a specific company.

Unfortunately, the misconception that this involves big, burly union workers physically scaring away innocent service providers is very widespread and leads to "blockading" having undue negative connotations.

You might not see the actual term in English, but you definitely do see the action. I'm sure there are plenty of examples, but I immediately think of this Jon Bois video touching on it as a strike tactic for NFL players:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZymSrDfLhW8

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

SimonChris posted:

Edit: I guess Solidarity action is the closest English term.
In addition to not being used that way in english, blockade wasn’t what Jane said. She specifically said “block all entrances to a factory” which sounds pretty lunatic.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

In addition to not being used that way in english, blockade wasn’t what Jane said. She specifically said “block all entrances to a factory” which sounds pretty lunatic.

... yes, and this person was describing the differences between "block all entrances" and "blockade."

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
https://twitter.com/IGNUK/status/1314557992990318592

IGN is not the idiot.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
What does that mean?

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude

Scratch Monkey posted:

What does that mean?

I assume that each year's version of FIFA is basically the same game, probably with new players to match the teams current compositions, but the same underlying game.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Scratch Monkey posted:

What does that mean?

The Review posted:

”[...]EA copy and pasted last year’s FIFA onto Switch again this year – once again saying it has the same gameplay “without any new development or significant enhancements” on its store page for the full price of $49.99/£44.99[...]"

e: EA Sports games on xbox and playstation tend to at least get nominal gameplay changes or upgrades. This one did not, and is probably just a full-priced roster update.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Matt loving Yglesias, ladies and germs.

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1314633744096071681

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

TBF all that cocaine probably does help them work hard

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

MattY says a lot of dumb poo poo but he's got a point here. We absolutely waste the talents of smart and industrious young people in finance/adtech/consulting/etc. by making those jobs so lucrative. Tax policy may or may not be the right way to fix it, but we'd all be better off if some of the people going into trading were spending their careers on antibiotic development instead.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

ultrafilter posted:

MattY says a lot of dumb poo poo but he's got a point here. We absolutely waste the talents of smart and industrious young people in finance/adtech/consulting/etc. by making those jobs so lucrative. Tax policy may or may not be the right way to fix it, but we'd all be better off if some of the people going into trading were spending their careers on antibiotic development instead.
In my college and my daughter's, people who wanted to go into investment banking were low-effort people who were planning on skating in based on their connections, both inherited and made in college. The people who went into the math end were smart as all hell, but not so much the would-be brokers.

DGMW, the "free market" allocates labor terribly and rewards things that aren't societally useful. Many finance people aren't overrewarded because they're doing intellectually taxing things, they're overrewarded because they know the right people and how to manipulate them.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Banking is only a small part of finance, and not all that representative of what people are doing. And even in that world, there's a big difference between the crowd who enter as analysts and the ones who survive to VP.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

Banking is only a small part of finance, and not all that representative of what people are doing. And even in that world, there's a big difference between the crowd who enter as analysts and the ones who survive to VP.
I suspect (pulling this out of my rear end, with no research) that the majority of rich people (Yglesias's claim) in "finance" are doing customer relations/sales, not research.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

There's a lot of "labor theory of value" arguments that start from here or merge into it off a different freeway

We should pay janitors the highest because they work the hardest and they are the most needed by society

We should hire only the best and the brightest to be, like, security screeners at the airport and spend all day staring dully at a monitor

etc

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

idiot: https://twitter.com/WalkerBragman/status/1314343175960567808

many possible responses here, but i liked this one
https://twitter.com/DaleGrungus/status/1314599283241488384

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I suspect (pulling this out of my rear end, with no research) that the majority of rich people (Yglesias's claim) in "finance" are doing customer relations/sales, not research.

I just got out of a finance job (yay!), so while I don't have a complete picture of the industry, I have some idea of how things look. The tl;dr is that it's very hard to separate out customer relations as a distinct thing because so many jobs involve it, but a lot of the most lucrative positions in trading are moving pretty hard towards a quant/tech approach. It used to be that getting hired as an analyst just required nice hair and the ability to operate a spreadsheet, but in the past few years the number of positions that don't require programming experience has been shrinking fast. That's going to have a transformative effect on the banks in the next decade, and from there it'll spread out. Equity trading is already very highly automated, and some parts of the bond market are heading that way.

But it's not just a question of who's technical and who's not. A lot of bond trading is resistant to automation for various reasons, but there's still a lot of money in it, and the people who are doing that could be doing something with actual social value. Take away the disproportionate rewards and you take away the disproportionate draw.

(To be fair, not all bond trading is valueless. The market for municipal bonds makes it easier to for schools and local governments to raise money and that does have good effects. But there's absolutely no reason for securitized reverse mortgages to exist or for anyone to be making money by trading them.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Honestly both of these are kinda true