Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

God I miss practical effects. If that were reshot now his CGI angel-wings would cost $300,000, require the use of a greenscreen and look like dogshit. When back then all you had to do was rip apart a swan, get some superglue and shoot the drat movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
"oozing sex" sounds like advanced gonorrhea

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

GimpInBlack posted:

Or read this two-part article that really digs into how orcs have been portrayed using the same coded racial signifiers used by colonizers to other the colonized

Orcs (and really, any "evil/antagonistic barbaric fantasy species) rely heavily on colonialist narratives; it's more complex than simply "orcs are coded as black people" but it is 100% a real thing and not even remotely a stretch or "telling on yourself."

I was going to type a long post with articles and whatnot to back me up but I remembered this was the boys thread and my post was booooooring. Summation: ancient people's created myths that weren't necessarily racial, over time different cultures met and nations became "civilized" and svartalfr became more evil, dark skinned and devious as opposed to just another name for dwarves/smiths/possibly children of Loki. People took older poo poo and made it something that fit their modern narrative and their modern times were super racist. I say we take the old stories and make them cool. Except elves as I hates elves.

In my millennial youthful experience: my vision of Orkz was heavily tailored by Warhammer40k so Orkz were proppa 'ard ladz so I always played them like a Chav. Funny I liked them considering my own heritage but I always gravitated between them, gobbos and dwarves.

Another Bill posted:

If we're going to be prejudiced against any fantasy races, I think it has to be the elves. I don't trust 'em.
Hates weedy elves.

Aphrodite posted:

I'd imagine John Noble is just in a sweet spot of recognizable, but not especially expensive.

He popped up for a short arc in a comedy CW show. I don't know if he's cheap or just wants to have fun working. As far as if this will be the only time? We might get flashbacks to Butcher's youth. John Noble with a Beatles wig would be funny as gently caress

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s a pretty serious bummer that Sorbo turned into a sex pest hyperchud
Seriously? I'm like one of 5 people that liked Andromeda too. Tyr was my guy. I don't even want to look it up as it is just so prevalent. Please let any future news of Urban only be things like he hugged puppies, gave all his money to charity and was a good poppa.

\/\/\/\/ Yeah... that made me a bit sad and confused as a kid, as I like Elephants and wanted one to be my friend and here are the good guys killing one of my dream pet animal pals and killing people with cool clothes and markings on their faces. When I was a tiny Dog, I really did read a bunch of stuff about elephants and could recite stupid facts about them. Also wanted a pet orangutan and a silverback gorilla. I was super dorky as a kid.

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Oct 8, 2020

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Don't forget that Tolkien literally had the "evil men" of the south with dark skin and from the east with exotic clothing and faces who joined Sauron so there's not much sub in this subtext.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

DogsInSpace! posted:

He popped up for a short arc in a comedy CW show. I don't know if he's cheap or just wants to have fun working. As far as if this will be the only time? We might get flashbacks to Butcher's youth. John Noble with a Beatles wig would be funny as gently caress

I hope you're talking about when legends time traveled to kidnap him because he sounded like the bad guy

Rando
Mar 11, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Tolkien also wrote this passage in the chapter "of herbs and stewed rabbit" where Samwise regards a dead Southron:

quote:

He was glad he that he could not see the dead face. He wondered what the man's name was and where he came from; and if he was really evil of heart, or what lies or threats had led him on the long march from his home; and if he would not really rather have stayed there in peace

so I don't think Tolkien's ideas are as without subtlety as some here think.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Karl Urban is hotter in the Cupid photo don't @ me

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Is the finale going live tonight?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I'd assume so, same as the rest

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Rando posted:

Tolkien also wrote this passage in the chapter "of herbs and stewed rabbit" where Samwise regards a dead Southron:

If it hasn't been obvious by the last two pages at least goons love being condescending and critical towards works they've never read and have only the faintest idea of what happens in them.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rando posted:

And then no, actually they're just evil.

Even just being distantly related to them makes you evil.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

The World Inferno posted:

Is the finale going live tonight?

https://twitter.com/TheBoysTV/status/1314219001979965441?s=20

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They always say that though, so it may still go up early.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

If it hasn't been obvious by the last two pages at least goons love being condescending and critical towards works they've never read and have only the faintest idea of what happens in them.

Hey buddy, I skimmed through a fifteen minute YouTube video about how Tolkien was actually terrible so can say with authority that everything about the man was bad.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Romes128 posted:

I'm leaning more towards Homelander kidnapping him and Becca going to Butcher and the boys for help.

HL already knows Becca is trying to raise him specifically not the be like HL so I'm willing to bet he's just gonna straight up take the kid and try to raise him on his own.

Yay I called something!

Romes128 fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Oct 8, 2020

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Rando posted:

He also replied to a letter by nazi fan by saying that jews were cool and germany was a nice country, for a clown to live in, at the circus

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I think the Boys s2 finale tonight is going to be great!

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
I’m just sad that I can’t do my normal double bill of nihilistic superhero show followed by optimistic football comedy. Only misstep in the ted lasso schedule IMO.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bust Rodd posted:

The “orcs are coded as black people” thing always struck me as a “telling on yourself” kind of situation. I played dungeons and dragons in a multi-racial environment in a major city at the LGS and it was only after years of playing with POC IRL that I saw that kind of attitude online, and the black players in my group felt more insulted by the idea that other players think Orcs look like black people are than by the idea that Orcs might be based on black people.

The JK Rowling goblins are 100% racist for sure, but the Orcs thing I just never bought or understood at all, and neither did any of my black gaming friends.

Everyone agrees that LotR is bad tho, for other reasons.

Edit: oh our DM did really have beef with Drow though! The “Drow are always evil” alignment bulls hit chapped his buns badly, and he got rid of “explicitly evil races” years and years ago. The black elves just being evil elves is way more 100% bald racist attitudes than the orcs thing.

Fortunately the main thing with Drow is the story of Drizzt, which is the exception to the rule, and so it basically all exists to be a cathartic villain that you can rebel against.

Also, IMO, the style of Drow is much more based on the idea of white people, they're technologically superior colonizers who put other races into slavery.

HppyCmpr posted:

I've never heard of the “orcs are coded as black people” thing except for this thread and I think it's weird and seems like a reach.

yikes

GimpInBlack posted:

Or read this two-part article that really digs into how orcs have been portrayed using the same coded racial signifiers used by colonizers to other the colonized:

https://jamesmendezhodes.com/blog/2019/1/13/orcs-britons-and-the-martial-race-myth-part-i-a-species-built-for-racial-terror
https://jamesmendezhodes.com/blog/2019/6/30/orcs-britons-and-the-martial-race-myth-part-ii-theyre-not-human

Orcs (and really, any "evil/antagonistic barbaric fantasy species) rely heavily on colonialist narratives; it's more complex than simply "orcs are coded as black people" but it is 100% a real thing and not even remotely a stretch or "telling on yourself."

Yeah denying orcs are racist is ... really tonedeaf. They definitely are.

Also lets not forget that Tolkien had the dark-skinned humans team up with Sauron and the bad guys.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 8, 2020

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Total Meatlove posted:

I’m just sad that I can’t do my normal double bill of nihilistic superhero show followed by optimistic football comedy. Only misstep in the ted lasso schedule IMO.

The Bears are playing tonight. Plenty of comedy to be had there my friend.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

:allears:

Bust Rodd posted:

It’s a pretty serious bummer that Sorbo turned into a sex pest hyperchud

Disappointed!!

HppyCmpr
May 8, 2011

You can yikes me all you want, I've seen you post a lot on this site Zaphod and the majority of it has always been absolute drivel so please don't try to weigh in on this. I was linked a questionably sourced youtube video and a two questionably sourced blogs; which primarily linked to other blogs and youtube as references. I don't have a lot of interest in reading blogs or youtube videos but out of a general level of respect I did, I even looked at the majority of their sources directly.

Like I said, I'm really not interested in getting into this further. I'm happy for other people to have their opinions and I specifically went out of my way to not disrespect them and look at the sources they provided.

DogsInSpace! posted:

Summation: ancient people's created myths that weren't necessarily racial, over time different cultures met and nations became "civilized" and svartalfr became more evil, dark skinned and devious as opposed to just another name for dwarves/smiths/possibly children of Loki. People took older poo poo and made it something that fit their modern narrative and their modern times were super racist. I say we take the old stories and make them cool. Except elves as I hates elves.

This I agree with especially the "I say we take the old stories and make them cool. Except elves as I hates elves."

Zaphod42 posted:

Also lets not forget that Tolkien had the dark-skinned humans team up with Sauron and the bad guys.

Saruman the White must be a real trip for you; yes I'm being disingenuous.

I'd much rather just get back to talking about The Boys which I'm sure will be a killer episode, I'm glad you guys all like Starr and Urban so much too. :)

HppyCmpr fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Oct 8, 2020

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

Hey buddy, I skimmed through a fifteen minute YouTube video about how Tolkien was actually terrible so can say with authority that everything about the man was bad.

The best hot take I've ever read on LOTR was this long essay about how the Orcs and Sauron were actually a somewhat egalitarian pre/semi-industrial civilization that celebrated the arts and sciences and were unjustly targeted and crushed by rear end-backwards medieval savages. I really wish I could drag it up right now, since reading it I can't help but think of the technology and societal advancements that would've been made if the Orcs and company won. Pouring one out for my homeboys lost in Minas Morgul.

FWIW the stupid fantasy world-building I spent most of my free-time making pointless art for explicitly takes place on a planet with no Elves (or dwarves) of any kind. We do have grey aliens, earth humans, christian demons, and one billion types of goblins so kind of a step-forward-two-steps-inside-out kind of deal.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 8, 2020

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

HppyCmpr posted:

This I agree with especially the "I say we take the old stories and make them cool. Except elves as I hates elves."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5ix0_W-ouI

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

wow <3

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

The Bears are playing tonight. Plenty of comedy to be had there my friend.

:mad:

:(

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

This just popped up in my news feed:

I hope this stays purely a joke because Shaq would be terrible.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

:( :respek:

HppyCmpr
May 8, 2011

:asoiaf: That was amazing; thanks for that.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Gaius Marius posted:

So, Tolkein orcs and the forces of Mordor in general are mostly a metaphor for the industrialization and rough modernization (and incipient fascism) of pre-WW2 Great Britain that Tolkein despised, which is why they speak like a bunch of rowdy blue-collar navvies and covet money and power and fill the air with smoke and then at the end Saruman turns the Shire into a literal smog-filled mill town and it's the least subtle metaphor in the history of the world. It is a trifle racist, what with him saying in his letters that they looked like "mongol-types", but by the standards of the British Empire at the time it's barely a blip, and it could have been much worse; Tolkein was anti-Empire and anti-Apartheid at a time when scientific racism was still the major public belief. The main thrust of his novels is ultimately pastoral.

BUT,

Later writers picked up the idea of orcs and goblins and started plugging them into things, and a lot of those writers were pulp writers, or worse, not writers per se but game makers, and that's how we ultimately got Dungeons and Dragons orcs. The stories these people plugged the orcs into were mostly the pulp Adventure stories that they grew up with, filled with rough and rowdy (white) adventurers traveling to foreign lands and raiding tombs, and when the orcs got plugged into these stories, they got cast in the role of the (non-white) locals that try to stop the heroes from raiding the tombs and stealing the treasure. But that imparts a lot of baggage to orcs that's not really there in Tolkein.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Oct 9, 2020

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Tip posted:

This just popped up in my news feed:

I hope this stays purely a joke because Shaq would be terrible.

Shaq can play Oldhead.

"Back in my day heroes used to play defense! There was grit and toughness! These days all they do is shoot 3s use lasereyes."

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Yeah I'm not sure why there was such a massive concentration on "Tolkien wasn't racist" (and the majority opinion is that he wasn't, although some wording definitely paints him as a man of his time) to point to "there is no racial&colonial coding" in "enemy" races, especially the barbaric/primitive ones.

The point was, specifically, D&D. And there is so little discussion about "is this happening and, if so, is this something negative?" that the publisher of D&D has publicly announced their intention of getting rid of the concept of "this race is evil by default" in future release of their product.

From that link posted:

“Throughout the 50-year history of D&D, some of the peoples in the game — orcs and drow (dark elves) being two of the prime examples — have been characterized as monstrous and evil, using descriptions that are painfully reminiscent of how real-world ethnic groups have been and continue to be denigrated,” Wizards said in a statement. “That’s just not right, and it’s not something we believe in.”

Anyway can't wait for the last episode to release, and I'm already dreading a 1y+ wait before the next one :v: Is there anything else releasing this year that is somewhat related to big (non mainstream Marvel/DC) comics?

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Oct 9, 2020

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

arguably the best Urban

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Who do you guys think would win a fight between Homelander and Gandalf the Grey?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
^^^^ this reminds me: what has happened to that LotR series Amazon had in production?

text editor posted:

arguably the best Urban

I love this, but someone has commented that they casted the

smiley for the part of Dredd and now I can't unsee it.

EDIT: that's larger than expected.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Oct 9, 2020

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That Italian Guy posted:

^^^^ this reminds me: what has happened to that LotR series Amazon had in production?

Still in pre production.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

Still in pre production.

Yeah I just had a look and it is supposed to come out in 2021 (they're shooting in NZ and NZ has gone covid free recently, so maybe they'll manage to finish it in time) and , for some reason, is also supposed to have "steamy" stuff a-la GoT, so maybe we'll discover if Gandalf too has a breast milk fetish.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Oct 9, 2020

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
omg press the button Amazon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

That Italian Guy posted:

Yeah I just had a look and it is supposed to come out in 2021 (they're shooting in NZ

why are they bothering with redoing peter jackson's whole thing then