Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

NaanViolence posted:

Yeah that podcast is nigh-unbearable. Please summarize.

in a 5-4 decision I barely decided not to give you a (comedy? ??) probation for this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

in a 5-4 decision I barely decided not to give you a (comedy? ??) probation for this

Wait a couple years, mods'll start writing papers in QQCS about overturning this.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Is this decision precedential, or just dicta?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Declan MacManus posted:

the assumption there is that free exercise arguments are made in good faith and aren’t intended to trample over others’ rights, which they are not and they explicitly do

the problem with the first amendment, as mrnemo above me does a good job of explaining the more practical effects of, is that because corporations are considered people, and worse, corporations have both free speech and freedom of religion rights, anything a corporation does as a matter of policy can pretty easily be twisted to fit the framework of expression of those rights

it’s one of those things that if you atomize it, each individual part might look okay (corporations = people is pretty universally regarded as stupid but if you accept its basic premise the rest of it goes down fine)
-money is speech
-speech is protected
-limiting speech is unconstitutional
-dictating how money is spent as a form of speech is unconstitutional

legally most of it holds water, it’s just the practical effects of them all together means that corporations can spend money as a form of speech, and they can also withhold money as a negative form of speech, and corporations can have a religion which allows them to exempt themselves from some protections of the law because it is protected as an expression of the first amendment

i think that’s how we’ll see roe v wade dismantled; not with a big flashy fetal personhood decision (although those could come at the state level), but with a continuation of the current efforts, framed using precedent to create an ironclad chain of decisions that would be all but impossible to reverse without congressional and executive action (which would be impossible given how the senate works)

Or they could summon the courage neccesary to say to hell with precedent and overturn bad decisions

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

mandatory lesbian posted:

Or they could summon the courage neccesary to say to hell with precedent and overturn bad decisions

the liberal justices want to preserve the legitimacy of the court as a nonpartisan institution which is why things have sucked butts since earl warren died

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe

Declan MacManus posted:

the liberal justices want to preserve the legitimacy of the court as a nonpartisan institution which is why things have sucked butts since earl warren died

I think that will be dead as soon as Roe gets overturned.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Biden said he'd do this re:abortion at least in last night's town hall.

A...a legislative solution to the abortion issue? At this time of congressional dysfunction, at this part of a centrist campaign, localized entirely behind a president who spent the last several decades undermining abortion rights?

May I see the clip?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Some Guy TT posted:

A...a legislative solution to the abortion issue? At this time of congressional dysfunction, at this part of a centrist campaign, localized entirely behind a president who spent the last several decades undermining abortion rights?

May I see the clip?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndgJ1tqyP7Q&t=37s

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Declan MacManus posted:

Oh, i realize its not gonna happen, its just nice to dream sometimes

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/GeoffRBennett/status/1314541053274451969

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Doc Hawkins posted:

never shall there be peace between alabhism and the 5-4-ites

the only good law podcast ever was Mic Dicta

RIP Mic Dicta

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Kazak_Hstan posted:

the only good law podcast ever was Mic Dicta

RIP Mic Dicta

Isn’t alab just mic dicta with a different woman?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
5-4 is cool and good and everyone should listen

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Proust Malone posted:

I have no idea. I just enjoyed Mic Dicta.

I followed one of the hosts, Christina, to her new podcast, Puck Bunnies, which is about which NHL players she and her cohost would and/or would not like to gently caress. It also is better than any law podcast.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Proust Malone posted:

ALAB is just the fellas.

Slaan posted:

5-4 is cool and good and everyone should listen

Also terribly depressing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I get that it's important to call out the hypocrisy of all of this, but in the end none of this matters and she's going to get confirmed no matter what, short of like 5+ GOP Senators being hospitalized simultaneously.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Every additional bit of straw will help to break the camel's back eventually.

It is easier to gin up support for packing the court if you build a case for it.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Raenir Salazar posted:

Every additional bit of straw will help to break the camel's back eventually.

It is easier to gin up support for packing the court if you build a case for it.
I believe you live in a fantasy world if you think most people even see these stories, or even care, or think packing the court will ever be popular.

I think we should brace for a 6-3 white supremacist SCOTUS for the foreseeable future, only until more conservative justices die.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

I like how we're still on the Biden's going to fix everything line of thought and not the maybe the Democrats could take advantage of the Republican caucus being sick to force delays line of thought. I mean they're equally as likely to actually happen but the first one at least lets you delude yourself into thinking voting actually matters for a few months.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Some Guy TT posted:

I like how we're still on the Biden's going to fix everything line of thought and not the maybe the Democrats could take advantage of the Republican caucus being sick to force delays line of thought. I mean they're equally as likely to actually happen but the first one at least lets you delude yourself into thinking voting actually matters for a few months.

How exactly can Democrats force delays?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
More accurately, how can Democrats force four months of delays? There aren't going to be four GOP senators simultaneously incapable of attending for that entire span and no way to derail the nomination that couldn't be undone as soon as the majority is back to full strength.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Call for lots of in-person meetings. Or just pay for another nomination party?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

poo poo man forget four months of delays, four weeks of delays might convince people that they're at least making an effort. But the Democrats aren't even willing to go that far, and Biden's straight up refusing to threaten them with court packing if he wins so there isn't even a pretense of a disincentive at this point.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Some Guy TT posted:

poo poo man forget four months of delays, four weeks of delays might convince people that they're at least making an effort. But the Democrats aren't even willing to go that far, and Biden's straight up refusing to threaten them with court packing if he wins so there isn't even a pretense of a disincentive at this point.

The Democrats absolutely will force the very brief and very limited amount of delay they can, and asserting they won't is just silly.

Threatening court packing would be both ineffective and extremely idiotic. The GOP has been desperately sounding the alarm and trying to get the voters attention on this threat to no avail, and you actually want to elevate it to a campaign issue? Do you want to just throw away the potential Senate majority right beforte the election? Thats loving nuts. At BEST, itll distract the voters from Trump's idiocy. Court packing is not something to run on, its something to just very quickly do and then hope the passage of time makes it irrelevant before the next election.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

I cannot grasp the level of cognitive dissonance you're operating on that you simultaneously believe that nominating Barrett is a crime against the republic yet also believe that calling any attention to this whatsoever is a losing campaign issue.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Some Guy TT posted:

I cannot grasp the level of cognitive dissonance you're operating on that you simultaneously believe that nominating Barrett is a crime against the republic yet also believe that calling any attention to this whatsoever is a losing campaign issue.

Your thinking is just bizarre. Polls have consistently shown that voters dont like the idea of court packing and say it shouldn't be done. They are stupid and wrong on this issue, and the Dems should do it anyway, but yes, this is not an issue we can run on, we just loving do it, and in a couple years it wont be the big issue voters care about because something else will have come along.

There's a very obvious reason why the GOP is screaming about court packing, and the Dems are changing the subject to Trump or COVID, why do you think you are right and all of them are wrong?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Some Guy TT posted:

How exactly do you think they can force four weeks of delays? What’s the procedural mechanism to do so?

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Kalman posted:

How exactly do you think they can force four weeks of delays? What’s the procedural mechanism to do so?

Just keep pulling the fire alarm.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Kalman posted:

There's even precedent in the Senate for it. :haw:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Rigel posted:

Your thinking is just bizarre. Polls have consistently shown that voters dont like the idea of court packing and say it shouldn't be done.

According to this recent poll that's not the case at all. Only 47% of respondents outright oppose Supreme Court packing, but 53% is already the realistic ceiling on how many votes Biden is going to get. This of course ignores the extent to which the statements our political figures offer support for alters public reception. Given that the Democrats act ashamed and evasive any time court packing comes up it's hardly surprising that the numbers are so weak.

Why you're assuming the Democrats want to do court packing at all is unclear to me. How do you know they're lying about secretly wanting it to try and trick conservative voters as opposed to secretly opposing it to try and trick liberal voters? The second explanation strikes me as far more likely, given that Democrats tend to really on Democratic votes to win elections, not Republican ones.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

NaanViolence posted:

Yeah that podcast is nigh-unbearable. Please summarize.

:colbert:

From the (then) most recent episode, on ACB:

quote:

Andrew: Roe is gone. Roe v. Wade is absolutely, 100% gone with an Amy Coney Barrett on the Supreme Court. She is—her public statements evidence an outward hostility to abortion that is—we have her words, in print, criticizing Mario Cuomo for saying you can be a Catholic and still enforce the legal right to an abortion. There is zero doubt what she is going to do with the next abortion case that comes before the Supreme Court.

What Andrew Seidel said, and I take seriously, is that the right to contraception could be next. And if you think that sounds hyperbolic, you are not a lawyer or a law student. Roe v. Wade was, five years later, the logical extension of a 1968 case called Griswold vs. Connecticut, which invalidated a Connecticut law that forbade the sale of condoms to unmarried couples. I want you to think about that when you think about Handmaid’s Tale-type America.

Thomas: Yeah. [Laughing] That’s the first thing I’ve been thinking about.

Andrew: Yeah. And you should. It was the law in Connecticut in 1968, and the Supreme Court said "No, you have a fundamental right to privacy. That right to privacy includes the right to make deeply personal decisions about family planning, and therefore you cannot discriminate on the basis of marital status in terms of selling contraception, by law. It would prohibit it." This would not stop, by the way, 7-Eleven from saying “we’re not gonna sell condoms to married people,” but this was a state law and the Supreme Court said "No, you can’t forbid that by law."

That could come back “on the ballot,” so to speak, because Amy Coney Barrett believes in (quote) “defending the right to life from fertilization to natural death.” The Catholic church is 100% clear in its teachings that we have described, that she has endorsed in her 1998 law review article, that interfering with a fertilized egg is tantamount to murder—is a form of murder under their theology. And we have already seen, in connection with the Affordable Care Act, right-wing Christian organizations saying that providing contraception that (in their view) interferes with a fertilized egg runs contrary to their religious beliefs.

Expect to see that. If you are not terrified enough, expect to see that; expect to see contraception litigated before the U.S. Supreme Court. That is not hyperbole, that is not just an atheist lawyer being crazy. If you’re one of our more moderate listeners, go ahead and write in, but read Griswold v. Connecticut and tell me which parts of that you think Judge Barrett would sign onto.

And from their immediate reaction episode on Ginsburg's death:

quote:

Andrew: Let's go back to abortion rights. I told you that what I thought a Roberts-led court would do is—and I think there's every reason to believe this—is preserve at the margins, but essentially gut, real protections, by defining narrowly what counts as an "undue burden". And we saw that even in the decisions that were hailed as a victory for abortion rights. Whole Women's Health vs. Hellerstedt, we broke that down on this show, that it sort of paved the way for the analysis to be "oh, you don't have to show that the benefits of the law outweigh the burden, you just have to show that the burden is not undue". And what counts as "undue"? What Clarence Thomas thinks is undue.

And Thomas, by the way, repeats provable falsehoods about Margaret Sanger and the David Barton level of rewriting of American history in his concurrences and dissents on abortion. You have a lunatic zealot who rewrites history on the court who will now be in an unambiguous majority of justices who said "Yeah, obviously Roe v. Wade is garbage."

Thomas: Do you think they take it to the next level and just say "gently caress it, just Reverse Roe"?

Andrew: I think that is plausible. And I would add, if you want to be truly terrified, a position that is 100% nonsense that I would have said up until an hour ago has zero chance of ever being argued before the Supreme Court, let alone becoming the law of the land, and that is the ADF bringing a case before the Supreme Court to argue that fetuses are persons under the 14th Amendment. So let's go over the implications of that. If Roe v. Wade is overturned, then states may ban abortion entirely. If fetuses are persons under the 14th Amendment, then no state may permit abortions. That is the fevered wet dream of the crazy Christian conservative right.

Thomas: That's Gilead poo poo.

Andrew: Yes. And you might say, "Oh, that's nonsense." And you would be right. But that's no more nonsense than the position that ultimately won the day in D.C. vs. Heller. It is absolutely preposterous; it is without legal support; it is insane; it is something that John Roberts wouldn't sign onto. I am not confident that a Justice Josh Hawley wouldn't.

Thomas: But the key question is, what about Kavenaugh and Gorsuch? We know that Alito and Thomas are just out of this world, there's no hope there.

Andrew: [...]I will say this: having prepped for the show, when we covered both [the nominations of] Kavenaugh and Gorsuch, there is absolutely nothing in their judicial history that would lead me to believe that they're anything other than a vote to repeal Roe v. Wade. I would love to be pleasantly surprised, but that's just hope; there's nothing you can find in their opinions that would lead me to believe that.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Some Guy TT posted:

According to this recent poll that's not the case at all. Only 47% of respondents outright oppose Supreme Court packing, but 53% is already the realistic ceiling on how many votes Biden is going to get. This of course ignores the extent to which the statements our political figures offer support for alters public reception. Given that the Democrats act ashamed and evasive any time court packing comes up it's hardly surprising that the numbers are so weak.

Why you're assuming the Democrats want to do court packing at all is unclear to me. How do you know they're lying about secretly wanting it to try and trick conservative voters as opposed to secretly opposing it to try and trick liberal voters? The second explanation strikes me as far more likely, given that Democrats tend to really on Democratic votes to win elections, not Republican ones.

Your interpretation of that (lovely) poll is facile and motivated by your conflation of strength rhetoric with political efficacy.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dems shoulda been banging the drum of court packing since the seat was stolen. They seem unable to understand that you can shape public opinion. Unless it's for something like Medicare For All of course.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Dems shoulda been banging the drum of court packing since the seat was stolen. They seem unable to understand that you can shape public opinion. Unless it's for something like Medicare For All of course.

It's actually good to not make that an issue because it is necessarily divisive. Biden was correct at the debate when he refused to answer the question because his answer then becomes news and what people need to do is just go vote out Trump. They should absolutely not be shouting about doing it right before a close election when that would just toss Trump a shitton of red meat to campaign on.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Groovelord Neato posted:

The mistake here is treating Dems as a monolith. The reason this is a conversation is because it has been brought up, just not by Biden or Pelosi or whoever. I know a lot of people assume (maybe correctly, I can't claim any special insight) that if those people aren't publically on board then nothing will happen, but they are perfectly capable of pushing the idea out there by getting someone else to say it first and then letting public opinion decide when the time comes to actually do something. Basically, don't show your hand, just call and see what comes up on the flop

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

haveblue posted:

More accurately, how can Democrats force four months of delays? There aren't going to be four GOP senators simultaneously incapable of attending for that entire span and no way to derail the nomination that couldn't be undone as soon as the majority is back to full strength.

No legal process gives them that ability as the minority party in the Senate, no. If the capitol building burned down McConnell would still demand they hold hearings among the ashes. The reason Graham has gone silent on his COVID testing is because he likely caught it and if he confirmed he has COVID he'd be all but forced to delay hearings and that means ACAB wouldn't get her vote for the SCOTUS until after the election and Trump wants her in place ASAP because he wants another Bush v. Gore minion on the court to back him when he makes whatever dumb bullshit legal arguments he can if he loses to Biden. Let alone her willingness to kill rights Roe protect, or the ACA.

Some Guy TT posted:

Biden refusing to make the threat and Biden vetoing a comprehensive judicial expansion plan (that includes more seats at every level not just SCOTUS) is two very different things. Especially if there's a 6 rear end in a top hat majority making noise about how they're going to strike down anything he wants to pass that is to the left of "execute the poors and give everything to the rich."

Would Biden veto a bill that passes both the House and Senate to restructure the Judiciary and expand it since the US popular is much larger than when the current structure was created? No, because if it passed both chambers he's been ok with it and there's no loving way the current 5 conservatives + ACAB would be able to hold back from striking down valid laws the Dems pass simply because "gently caress you this isn't what the GOP wants."

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/tomscocca/status/1315354576283934730?s=20

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

Your interpretation of that (lovely) poll is facile and motivated by your conflation of strength rhetoric with political efficacy.

:rolleyes:

Honestly, the disappointing part is that Democratic leadership should have been working to sell Democratic voters on the idea of court rebalancing (not just SCOTUS) since McConnell’s unprecedented court packing at the beginning of the Trump administration. The fact that they’ve all but ceded the ability to pass essential policy in favor of maintaining the illusion that these governmental structures are not clearly broken beyond patching is absolutely a failure of leadership that’s going to cause massive suffering in the decades to come.

Like most of their current policies, term limits is a bullshit half-assed solution that’s slightly better but does nothing to address the devastating long-term problems. It’s fair to be disappointed that the only sane political party can’t be assed to even acknowledge the problem.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

YouGov is a lovely pollster now? I mean if you have another one that shows court packing is an untouchable third rail of America politics I'd be happy to read it. I'd be very surprised if you could find one that has a majority actually opposing it simply because so many people don't even know what court packing is.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Would Biden veto a bill that passes both the House and Senate to restructure the Judiciary and expand it since the US popular is much larger than when the current structure was created? No, because if it passed both chambers he's been ok with it and there's no loving way the current 5 conservatives + ACAB would be able to hold back from striking down valid laws the Dems pass simply because "gently caress you this isn't what the GOP wants."

Now you're just passing the buck from Biden to the Senate Democrats. Why you'd think they'd be any more likely to go for judicial restructuring than Biden is unclear to me, given that they're just as evasive on the issue as Biden is and there's enough centrists in the party who are completely cool with a conservative court that they will almost certainly sabotage any effort at reform just for the love of inertia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

haveblue posted:

While, four months would be nice, delaying until after the election is important given the chance of vote suppressing fuckery.