Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Gimme the 12V only PSUs though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I've been waiting for this announcement to pick up a mobo/processor and I think I'm just as stumped as before. The new chips look great but I'm actually weirdly leaning towards waiting on a deal for a 10700.

It'll be months before I can get a graphics card anyway so at least I've got time.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Kraftwerk posted:

I've been watching benchmark videos of a 3080 with the 3700X and using the 30-40 1% FPS as an excuse for why I should get a 5900X. I've even gone as far as convincing myself that I might as well be running a Core 2 Duo at this time. Someone please snap me out of it. The 3700X is clearly more than good enough for gaming... right? RIGHT?

Nah all they've done is take existing X570 Mobos and make them work with Zen 3 out of the box while making improvements like removing the chipset fan for better passive cooling.

Yes, this is dumb. Threadripper or bust.

Seriously though, what game?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Taima posted:

So um dumb question but is there no new mobo architecture?

As I understand it, in a sense, b550/x570 basically are the new mobo architecture they were just released in advance and are backward compatible.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Huh fair enough I guess...

Ok gotcha so any current x570 can seat zen 3 with no trouble?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I've been waiting for this announcement to pick up a mobo/processor and I think I'm just as stumped as before. The new chips look great but I'm actually weirdly leaning towards waiting on a deal for a 10700.

It'll be months before I can get a graphics card anyway so at least I've got time.

Honestly the price bump is the one thing they could have done that would put Intel back in the running. They'll probably make bank off the margins, but savvy buyers might choose otherwise. Last I heard it was impossible to get a good, reasonably priced Intel Mobo though, so unless that's changed (and it's been a minute since I looked), AMD will likely have the cheaper total package.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?

Cygni posted:

By AMD's determination, they considered Zen->Zen2 an evolution step in the actual architectural design of the cores (obviously everything else was changed), Zen 3 the big arch leap forward, and Zen 4 is another evolution.

But like Vir pointed out, its moving to a new process and will have a new IO die (with DDR5+PCIe5). The downside is that it wont be around until 2022, and it seems like Zen3+ is real and going to fill the gap.

Yeah I might be over-emphasizing the new node - it is a big move for them, but might not give much more performance. Architecure is important. Look at the GPUs where Nvidia has a better architecture and drivers than AMD, which so far more than makes up for AMD advantage of being on TSMC 7nm.

Also a reminder that 14nm is not twice as big and twice as power hungry as 7nm, since silicon feature size and node name no longer correspond like they used to do in the past
https://www.techpowerup.com/272489/intel-14-nm-node-compared-to-tsmcs-7-nm-node-using-scanning-electron-microscope

Cygni posted:

Nope, no new motherboards (...yet? but no new boards even rumored at the moment)

"New" board SKUs of B550 and X570 with a new Zen3-ready Bios and maybe some small improvements, but no new chipsets. e:fb

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Taima posted:

Huh fair enough I guess...

Ok gotcha so any current x570 can seat zen 3 with no trouble?

You'll need to update your bios, but yes.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

sean10mm posted:

If your current PC is good it's worth waiting for.

If your current PC is kind of lovely now it's not worth waiting for.

This is basically always true. :v:
I’m running a 3570K and 970 but I probably won’t poop sock a game until Diablo 4 which has a release date of... probably 2022 due to corona? Hmm...

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Some Goon posted:

Honestly the price bump is the one thing they could have done that would put Intel back in the running. They'll probably make bank off the margins, but savvy buyers might choose otherwise. Last I heard it was impossible to get a good, reasonably priced Intel Mobo though, so unless that's changed (and it's been a minute since I looked), AMD will likely have the cheaper total package.

Good point about the mobo. I suspect there will be a fair number of bundle deals in the next few months.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Some Goon posted:

You'll need to update your bios, but yes.

Pardon my ignorance but you can update the bios with no supported chip in it then?

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Josh Lyman posted:

Zen 2 released July 2019 so does that mean Zen 4 won’t come until maybe Jan 2022? I wonder if it’s worth waiting for.

For the Intel comparable, Sandy Bridge was a huge architectural jump and Ivy Bridge, even though it was on a new node, was a smaller jump.

Zen 4 is still in design phase so there is literally nothing we know about it. It is pointless to try and speculate at this point as nothing is finalized.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Taima posted:

Pardon my ignorance but you can update the bios with no supported chip in it then?

Depends on the motherboard. Some can load a BIOS update off a USB stick without a CPU, but most will need a CPU present to do the upgrade.

Getting a stale-stock B550 with your new 5800X only to find it won't boot is gonna be hilarious.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?

DrDork posted:

Getting a stale-stock B550 with your new 5800X only to find it won't boot is gonna be hilarious.
Same as getting a new A520 board and expecting to pop a second hand 2600 in it - depending on what the motherboard manufacturer does, CPUs older than Zen 2 might not work in boards with Bios for Zen2 and Zen 3, as I understand.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Regrettable posted:

I don't know if this is a joke about AMD or Steve but he has a secondary youtube channel and about half the videos were related to mountain biking last I checked.

someone tracked down the model and it’s like a Huffy tier Walmart garbage bike with a logo slapped on, it’s gonna be one of those videos where the handlebars break off halfway down the hill and he ends up faceplanting in a tree.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
I know that threadripper is a thing, but it would be nice if zen 3 compatible mobos supported more than 3 NVMe drives (most only have 2), rather than having loving 6 sata ports

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

The Gadfly posted:

I know that threadripper is a thing, but it would be nice if zen 3 compatible mobos supported more than 3 NVMe drives (most only have 2), rather than having loving 6 sata ports

It'd be nice if more than one AMD mITX board had TB3, too, but apparently that's too much to ask.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Steve said the front wheel alone on his bike is worth more than the AMD bike cost, and he's not sure the trail he uses would even let him ride it. I'm looking forward to his comedy review of it.

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Oct 9, 2020

movax
Aug 30, 2008

The Gadfly posted:

Blame the chipset, though I'm hoping the next generations from both AMD and Intel will choose to use their SerDes for more PCIe over SATA, assuming the bandwidth to the CPU keeps up (seems like we're stale at x4 and count on generation upgrades to double bandwidth vs. going wider).

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Gadfly posted:

The physical footprint on the board is a bit of a problem for a third, yes? Why not get a pcie adapter card? They’re like $20.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

DrDork posted:

CPU-less bios upgrading is a super-common feature on B550s, even many low-end models. They knew this was coming.

Khorne posted:

It's a similar level of price gouging the 3800x was, and it's likely the 5700x will be the same slaughter of the 5800x that it was for zen2.

As far as other prices go, the launch 5950x price is rough. I wanted to go from a 3900x to a 5950x, but I wanted to do it for closer to $650 than $800. The 5900x seems kind of reasonable and the 6c seems kind of rough and hard to justify over just getting a 3600. I'm hoping this is an "MSRP" situation where Microcenter has it for $50 less with another $25-$50 off if you buy a motherboard.

They're really pushing for money from people who have to have the best, from people who want the last CPU on the socket, and from people who are riding the hype train.

Yeah, this is my opinion as well: they are gouging early adopters in particular by launching the premium upsell models first. A non-X 5600 will come out sometime, maybe not until they've sold through their stock of zen 2 chips, and it'll be a more reasonable $225-250.

The 5900 and 5950 though, lol, they have all performance metrics now and they're gonna price it to match. Especially that 5950 since that's competing with intel HEDT stuff, not the 10900K. A 5950X + mobo is still cheaper than an intel X-series + mobo, so I don't know that you can complain that much. And I would bet that Intel can't even cut the 10980XE prices that much, what with the massive single die.

So I'm not quite ready to make the "strike me down and your journey towards the dark side will be complete" image macro for AMD yet, but they're definitely making the bleeding edge give up an extra pint.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Apparently AMD may eat Xilinx next week. Time for a general news thread, I wonder?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

movax posted:

Apparently AMD may eat Xilinx next week. Time for a general news thread, I wonder?

Wow, that would be huge news.

Also, gently caress Xilinx and their lovely support.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Wow, that would be huge news.

Also, gently caress Xilinx and their lovely support.

WSJ exclusive / paywall

quote:

Advanced Micro Devices Inc. is in advanced talks to buy rival chip maker Xilinx Inc., according to people familiar with the matter, in a deal that could be valued at more than $30 billion and mark the latest big tie-up in the rapidly consolidating semiconductor industry.

The companies are discussing a deal that could come together as soon as next week, the people said. There is no guarantee they will get there, especially given that the talks had stalled before recently restarting, according to some of the people.

AMD’s market value now tops $100 billion after its shares soared 89% this year as the coronavirus pandemic stokes demands for PCs, gaming consoles and other devices that use the company’s chips. Second-quarter revenue rose 26% to $1.93 billion, while net income jumped more than fourfold to $157 million on the back of record notebook and server-processor sales, AMD said.

The surge in AMD shares could embolden the company to make an acquisition using its stock as currency. Xilinx has a market value of about $26 billion, with its shares up about 9% so far this year, just ahead of the S&P 500’s 7% rise.

With a typical takeover premium, a deal would value the company at more than $30 billion.

Good for my portfolio, bad for the industry... too much consolidation. Lot of the big guys dropping like flies (getting eaten up). I figured NVIDIA or someone would come after Xilinx eventually.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Taima posted:

* if your motherboard supports "BIOS Flashback", then you can load the latest BIOS into a flash drive, plug the drive into the USB port designed for flashback, press a button, and the new BIOS will be flashed even if you don't have a working CPU in the socket.

* if you're buying an A520 / B550 / X570 motherboard with a CPU to use it with right now, it's going to have to be a Zen 2 (as in Ryzen 5 3600) CPU, since the 500-series don't officially support anything older than Zen 2.

* according to Gamers Nexus, the BIOS version that will work with Zen 3 is AMD AGESA ComboV2 1.0.8.0.

I looked at a B550 board: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B550M-DS3H-rev-1x/support#support-dl-bios and this one doesn't get 1.0.8.0 until a later update.

I looked at an A520 board: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/A520M-H-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios, same thing. A520s were the last motherboards to release, and they came out sometime in August, and the 1.0.8.0 updates were coming out in the first half of September, so I don't know how you can ensure that any given 500-series board you're buying right now already supports Zen 3.

EDIT: I looked at a couple of B450 boards and they don't have the 1.0.8.0 BIOS updates yet, so that's probably coming out later (I thought I heard Jan 2021 somewhere).

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Oct 9, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

movax posted:

Can AMD force Xilinx to support their own products in their current software so I don't have to program my FPGA in a linux VM?

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Vir posted:

Yeah I might be over-emphasizing the new node - it is a big move for them, but might not give much more performance. Architecure is important. Look at the GPUs where Nvidia has a better architecture and drivers than AMD, which so far more than makes up for AMD advantage of being on TSMC 7nm.

Also a reminder that 14nm is not twice as big and twice as power hungry as 7nm, since silicon feature size and node name no longer correspond like they used to do in the past
https://www.techpowerup.com/272489/intel-14-nm-node-compared-to-tsmcs-7-nm-node-using-scanning-electron-microscope
i like the idea of them moving to naming nodes based on transistor density but that sounds like something they really, really want to keep proprietary

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Cojawfee posted:

Can AMD force Xilinx to support their own products in their current software so I don't have to program my FPGA in a linux VM?

Isn’t Windows 7 support good enough? gently caress Xilinx and Vivado.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Dude I'm still on 2019.1 for an US+ project and I do not look forward to touching Vitis. It's taken me most of the 2010s to get a reasonable Zynq flow that plays nice with build systems, Git and it's a fuckload of Tcl to make that happen and I don't need another tool change.

The whole ISE 14.4 -> Vivado 2013.3/4 transition was a goddamned nightmare.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/kylebennett/status/1314324896877613056

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Last year when the 3x00s dropped, my compute farm was 4 nodes: 2 2700s and 2 1600s. I upgraded them all to 3900Xs between July and September, and used the 2700s (along with a mix of spares and new parts) to build two more nodes. One 1600 was used in a build for a friend, and the other is still in my personal desktop.

I've been thinking about this all day and have decided I'm going to rebuild the pair of nodes currently using 2700s, with 5900Xs. For one, this will basically be a CPU and mobo swap. The other has been acting really ornery, and I think it'll be a ground-up new build. Later on (like, after the price drops we're all expecting), I'll rebuild one of the 3900X nodes with a 5900X.

From there, the longer-range plan is to upgrade half the farm with each generation. I really love supporting research (and making my numbers go up), but my recreational computing budget can't cope with 6 machines on an 18-month refresh cycle.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

The physical footprint on the board is a bit of a problem for a third, yes? Why not get a pcie adapter card? They’re like $20.

I looked into this thanks to your suggestion. It looks like something similar to an Asus Hyper card is better for this application. It converts the 16 PCIe lanes of a spare GPU slot into 4 m.2 slots, allowing you to have an extra 4 NVMe drives. These can be run in raid configuration or separately. The reason why I think the cheaper option of a $20 PCIe adapter isn't as feasible is because the flexible PCIe gen 4 lanes afforded by chipsets are already usually in use by most mobos, and I don't think it's possible to plug those cards into a gpu slot.

Edit: It looks like only one or two NVMe drives would be supported if you use a x570 chipset with this card. Threadripper chipsets would allow for 4 NVMe. So it really is a limitation of the chipset. Also note that this card will apparently only work on select mobos that support PCI bifurcation.

The Gadfly fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Oct 9, 2020

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

mdxi posted:

Last year when the 3x00s dropped, my compute farm was 4 nodes: 2 2700s and 2 1600s. I upgraded them all to 3900Xs between July and September, and used the 2700s (along with a mix of spares and new parts) to build two more nodes. One 1600 was used in a build for a friend, and the other is still in my personal desktop.

I've been thinking about this all day and have decided I'm going to rebuild the pair of nodes currently using 2700s, with 5900Xs. For one, this will basically be a CPU and mobo swap. The other has been acting really ornery, and I think it'll be a ground-up new build. Later on (like, after the price drops we're all expecting), I'll rebuild one of the 3900X nodes with a 5900X.

From there, the longer-range plan is to upgrade half the farm with each generation. I really love supporting research (and making my numbers go up), but my recreational computing budget can't cope with 6 machines on an 18-month refresh cycle.

Got drat, u a beast. What project do you run? Do you use GPUs at all?

And also how do you keep your house cool? I run an 8700+2080 and a 3770S+960 in the winter because the heat is a benefit, but running it generates way too much heat in the summer and I don’t want to waste power on AC (even though I pay for 100% solar)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Gadfly posted:

I looked into this thanks to your suggestion. It looks like something similar to an Asus Hyper card is better for this application. It converts the 16 PCIe lanes of a spare GPU slot into 4 m.2 slots, allowing you to have an extra 4 NVMe drives. These can be run in raid configuration or separately. The reason why I think the cheaper option of a $20 PCIe adapter isn't as feasible is because the flexible PCIe gen 4 lanes afforded by chipsets are already usually in use by most mobos, and I don't think it's possible to plug those cards into a gpu slot.

I think you’d have to carefully look at the board info at that point. My x570 msi gaming plus for example appears to have a pcie 4.0 4x slot off the chipset but I could absolutely be misreading the pcie bandwidth table. M2 slot one on the board is pcie 4 4x from cpu and M2 slot two is pcie 3 4x from the chipset. Is it more common for the slots to use the gen 4 4x for that?

I have no idea about B550 though.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Oct 9, 2020

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Cygni posted:

What project do you run? Do you use GPUs at all?

Mostly, World Community Grid (all subprojects). For a lot of this year I was also running Rosetta, but now that WCG has a covid project and Rosetta has more support than they know what to do with, I'm back to 100% WCG on the CPUs.

Three of the nodes have GPUs, all older and low-power (2 GTX 1650s and a 750 Ti); those crunch for GPUGrid, with Einstein@Home as a fallback project when GPUGrid is out of workunits.

quote:

And also how do you keep your house cool? I run an 8700+2080 and a 3770S+960 in the winter because the heat is a benefit, but running it generates way too much heat in the summer and I don’t want to waste power on AC (even though I pay for 100% solar)

A PPT limit of 75W on the 3900Xs, and running the AC. I grew up in the southeastern US, which is very hot and humid; running the AC all summer (and paying the bill for it) is just what's done down there. I don't live there anymore, but I'm not gonna start spending 1/3 of the year sweating indoors now that i'm old.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

The Gadfly posted:

it is possible to plug those cards into a PCIe slot. PCIe is PCIe.

Also the Asus Hyper is literally the exact same thing, it has no onboard electronics and depends on the motherboard having PCIe bifurcation capability, which most consumer boards don’t, so you could only plug one m.2 into it on most boards anyway. It would function as a $100 version of that $20 card with no additional capability.

Most boards that do have bifurcation only allow it on the first slot and usually only if it gets all 16 lanes, which means your GPU needs to go on a chipset slot.

There do exist some cards with PCIe switches that do work on normal boards, look up HighPoint Technologies. They are more in the $300 price range though, and most of them are only PCIe 3.0 capable. They did just announce a PCIe 4.0 card but it will probably be even more expensive.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Oct 9, 2020

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It basically looks like that asus hyper is useless unless you have a trx40 board.

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1037507/

It could be very helpful for rendering workstations I guess?

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

I think you’d have to carefully look at the board info at that point. My x570 msi gaming plus for example appears to have a pcie 4.0 4x slot off the chipset but I could absolutely be misreading the pcie bandwidth table. M2 slot one on the board is pcie 4 4x from cpu and M2 slot two is pcie 3 4x from the chipset. Is it more common for the slots to use the gen 4 4x for that?

I have no idea about B550 though.

You are correct. I found a FAQ on Asus that has lots of charts about compatibility with different chipsets. I edited my previous post. Apparently x570 chipsets can only support a max of 2 NVMe cards (not 4 if you use some intel or threadripper chipsets).

Ah I see. I haven't messed around with anything like this before, so thanks for correcting all the stuff I looked up just now :frogdunce:

The Gadfly fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Oct 9, 2020

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Cygni posted:

By AMD's determination, they considered Zen->Zen2 an evolution step in the actual architectural design of the cores (obviously everything else was changed), Zen 3 the big arch leap forward, and Zen 4 is another evolution.

But like Vir pointed out, its moving to a new process and will have a new IO die (with DDR5+PCIe5). The downside is that it wont be around until 2022, and it seems like Zen3+ is real and going to fill the gap.

I see. Is it likely the first half of 2022 or the latter half of 2022? I think that will determine whether or not I should wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

It basically looks like that asus hyper is useless unless you have a trx40 board.

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1037507/

It could be very helpful for rendering workstations I guess?

I'm using it because my M.2 to U.2 breakouts are incompatible with the heatsinks on the mobo itself and gently caress it, I can throw my old / spare NVMe drives onto it as well and just chuck them as mount points under D:\ for Flight Simulator or poo poo like that. Decent use for an "old" 256GB 960.