Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Intruder posted:

As an Astros fan this is 100% found money for me. I don't care if they get swept out of the ALCS

Only if it's the Rays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Resting Lich Face posted:

Oooo that salt. Gotta admit the astros are a genuinely good team and it just kills ya don't it?

if it helps they'll always be remembered as cheaters before anything else. like even if tiny dick altuve wins an Nobel Peace prize thanks to his weighty intellect or some poo poo

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

bewbies posted:

if it helps they'll always be remembered as cheaters before anything else. like even if tiny dick altuve wins an Nobel Peace prize thanks to his weighty intellect or some poo poo

Mmmm yesss moar

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
are we to the point where Astros fans are able to pretend like they aren't ashamed?

I suppose that makes sense considering Houston's fervent support for the illustrious commander-in-chief and his own issues with honesty

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

I'm reveling in chaos. I'm not rooting for Tuve or the other '17 squad.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Oooo that salt. Gotta admit the astros are a genuinely good team and it just kills ya don't it?
it's one thing when regular SAS posters lean into the Astros shithead vibes, but random playoff posters parachuting in to do the same is a bit much

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

bewbies posted:

are we to the point where Astros fans are able to pretend like they aren't ashamed?

I suppose that makes sense considering Houston's fervent support for the illustrious commander-in-chief and his own issues with honesty

Lmao Houston is regularly an island of blue in a sea of red dogshit every election year and has been for a while. C’mon son.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
I think the Rays and Yankees are both a good step better than the A's were, especially without Chapman, and will probably take care of the Astros in a 7 game series but since everything's as stupid as possible I take nothing for granted

And not that it would've swung the game by five runs but i cannot get over batting 2020 Khris Davis cleanup in a must-win lol. He had like six good swings all year, nearly matching his 2019 total

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Only if it's the Rays.

Don't care either way honestly. Like obviously the thread title and all but I'm just glad the Astros got as far as they did even if the road ends here. No Verlander, Greinke falling apart, no Yordan, injuries throughout the season to Springer, Bregman, Brantley

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Lmao Houston is regularly an island of blue in a sea of red dogshit every election year and has been for a while. C’mon son.

consider me legitimately shocked to discover this is actually true. previous argument retracted.

that doesn't explain Houston fans comfort with cheating but I suppose it makes them mildly less repugnant

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

bewbies posted:

It's hard to be ashamed when they haters are acting even more shameful.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Imagine being shocked that one of the biggest metro areas in the country votes blue

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

Who said we're okay with cheating?

I gotta watch the local team because lol @ paying stupid money for out of market options. I'm rooting for the post-'17 guys out there. And the fact that we still are doing alright with pitching staff that got nuked this season.

What am I gonna do, not watch baseball? In this loving year I need that near-daily distraction. And getting to know an entirely new team well takes a lotta time even if I had access to out of market games which I don't.

Resting Lich Face fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Oct 9, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Intruder posted:

Imagine being shocked that one of the biggest metro areas in the country votes blue

Look at all of this red on my map and tell me how its possible everyone's not a Republican!

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Motion to have separate ALCS and NLCS threads so I don't have to read this happy horseshit

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Revising my expectations in terms of what will bring me personally the most misery, now expecting the Braves to make the World Series only to get swept by the Yankees.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I'm rooting for the post-'17 guys out there.
Resting Lich Face just angrily shaking their fist every time George Springer hits a dinger in October :argh:

As for what are you gonna do? You could just... not make jackass posts like this

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 9, 2020

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Surely no one dislikes Michael Brantley

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Greinke is great, don't hate Greinke please

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Intruder posted:

Surely no one dislikes Michael Brantley

I liked Mike before it was cool to like Mike.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm cool with Greinke. He wasn't one of the cheaters and Astros fans are weirdly mean to him.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Greinke watching the game from like 30 rows up this season was hilarious

STAC Goat posted:

I'm cool with Greinke. He wasn't one of the cheaters and Astros fans are weirdly mean to him.

I don't have anything really against Greinke, I just hate that he was the "Ok we don't need to keep Cole now" guy that gave an excuse for being stingy with payroll

Although I'm not sure Cole would have stayed at any price unless he was getting $45m+ AAV

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

STAC Goat posted:

I dunno why, Greinke is great. How can I hate a guy who was on national TV doing air guitar in the dugout?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Cole was always gone. I don’t hate Greinke, I just think that trade was a terrible idea because of how it gutted the farm. Questionable short term gains, etc.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Cole was always gone. I don’t hate Greinke, I just think that trade was a terrible idea because of how it gutted the farm. Questionable short term gains, etc.

They went all in on a ring last season and it almost worked. In game 7 if Sano doesn't pull of a miraculous sliding catch the Astros are up like 5-0 and probably run away with it

The Nats just played better when they had to

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

this is the level of posting we get when the cubs are out of the playoffs and there is no longer cubsposting to unite the thread in exasperation

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

bewbies posted:

consider me legitimately shocked to discover this is actually true. previous argument retracted.

that doesn't explain Houston fans comfort with cheating but I suppose it makes them mildly less repugnant

You're legitimately shocked that the 4th largest and most diverse City in the country votes Dem?

You likely aren't interested, but I'm not "fine" with cheating, I just don't care. The history of baseball is the history of cheating. A's fans don't disown the bash brothers teams because they were juiced to the gills, Red Sox fans aren't suddenly going to think 2004 loses luster because Manny and Ortiz were juicing and Curt Schilling is a bad person. No one cares that the shot heard round the world was from a sign stolen with a telescope. Baseball is what it is, and it's naive to think what the Astros did was the one thing beyond the pale. Is it good? no - it's frustrating because that team was stacked and didn't need it and has ruined the reputation of genuinely good people like Altuve (when that twitter guy did the deep dive on every at bat in 2017, Altuve and Reddick were the ones who didn't use the system, everyone else did regularly).

I have my own personal reasons for why the 2017 run was special (particularly Game 5 of the WS) and what it meant to me and some people angry on the internet questioning my moral character because of sports won't really change that.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Sab0921 posted:

You're legitimately shocked that the 4th largest and most diverse City in the country votes Dem?

You likely aren't interested, but I'm not "fine" with cheating, I just don't care. The history of baseball is the history of cheating. A's fans don't disown the bash brothers teams because they were juiced to the gills, Red Sox fans aren't suddenly going to think 2004 loses luster because Manny and Ortiz were juicing and Curt Schilling is a bad person. No one cares that the shot heard round the world was from a sign stolen with a telescope. Baseball is what it is, and it's naive to think what the Astros did was the one thing beyond the pale. Is it good? no - it's frustrating because that team was stacked and didn't need it and has ruined the reputation of genuinely good people like Altuve (when that twitter guy did the deep dive on every at bat in 2017, Altuve and Reddick were the ones who didn't use the system, everyone else did regularly).

I have my own personal reasons for why the 2017 run was special (particularly Game 5 of the WS) and what it meant to me and some people angry on the internet questioning my moral character because of sports won't really change that.

lol

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
as somebody who's currently nursing a playoff-grief headache, calling an entire baseball franchise and fanbase immoral trump supporters because their team happens to be from a red state is a chump move

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

the astros are trash and their fans should be ridiculed but neither has anything to do with tromp

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Has any team ever gone from lovable underdogs to hated as quickly as the Astros? Closest I can think of is Golden State, and that was more gradual. IIRC people didn't hate the Warriors til they won a couple titles and signed Durant.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The Pussy Boss posted:

Has any team ever gone from lovable underdogs to hated as quickly as the Astros? Closest I can think of is Golden State, and that was more gradual. IIRC people didn't hate the Warriors til they won a couple titles and signed Durant.

i can think of a team

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

R.D. Mangles posted:

i can think of a team

lol

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

bawfuls posted:

it's one thing when regular SAS posters lean into the Astros shithead vibes, but random playoff posters parachuting in to do the same is a bit much

How much are you sweating stanning the legitimacy of this title the last few months

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

How much are you sweating stanning the legitimacy of this title the last few months
I don’t understand the question

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

So, Fried, Anderson, Wright, presumably Wilson or maybe Ynoa, then back to Fried, Anderson, Wright? I definitely don't want to see them try to send Fried into hero mode like 1/4/maybe short in 7 given that he's already shown signs of wear even in a short season (and also not really doubting him in the medium- or long-term but idk if he is the best option for any given game?) Could carry both Wright and Ynoa and make the call when you have to, but Tomlin's already there too as a piggyback option (not that I really want to see him doing anything other than eating innings in a mop-up when either team has conceded already.)

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Pussy Boss posted:

The Patriots kind of did it in a single play

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
On one hand, Dusty Baker finally winning a championship after all this time would be legitimately heartwarming and well-deserved at the end of the long career.

On the other hand, the Astros winning it all after a year after being found out for cheating, bungling the response, and and going full heel as a result would engender the most spectacular meltdowns from sanctimonious baseball goons.

So I'm of two minds over why to root for Houston.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
I wonder if the outrage about the Astros makes people understand boomer sportswriters who grew up with Hank Aaron that are MAF at steroids users.

Prob not though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

It's definitely going to be Yankees/Dodgers so this discussion is kind of moot