Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Totally agree on Butcher not taking Ryan. It's especially weird with Starlight being like "Well if Butcher can finally do the right thing ..." cut to him just handing that kid over the CIA to do god knows what with. But also did it seem like he was about to take that crowbar to Ryan right before Homelander showed up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Zaphod42 posted:

If you think TV IV Goons are all idiots why do you bother posting here? You're laying it on real thick here Chris.

I don't think All of Anyone is Anything. I just didn't want to seem like I was picking on someone in particular by using a specific name as the oblivious TV watcher

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

PostNouveau posted:

Totally agree on Butcher not taking Ryan. But also did it seem like he was about to take that crowbar to Ryan right before Homelander showed up?

Yup. Butcher had the crazy eyes for a second.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

PostNouveau posted:

Totally agree on Butcher not taking Ryan. But also did it seem like he was about to take that crowbar to Ryan right before Homelander showed up?

I thought it would do the fakeout where he would head over to Ryan but then keep going over to Stormfront and bash her brains out

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

PostNouveau posted:

Correct yes. He has some demons they forgot to resolve this season, I guess.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Also Homelander is on the very ragged edge of sanity and has almost nothing left to lose.

This too. The final shot of Homelander talking to the camera says a LOT. That scene alone could be the s3 trailer

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Please at least tell me you see the genius in the Deep being a red herring

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

text editor posted:

change thread title to The Boys: The Girls

also lol @ me thinking "oh now they're gonna show the cult leader crushing that can of Fr-- oh gently caress!

yeah i was all ready to start complaining about how lame the head popper reveal was and then boom

excellent season finale to an excellent season.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
stormfront losing her limbs at the joints makes me picture ryan's eyebeams in the glittery discoball style rather than HL's controlled beams

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

What the heck happened to Cindy is what I want to know

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Orange Carlisle posted:

She's living a normal well adjusted life now and seeing a therapist to deal with her trauma :v:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Orange Carlisle posted:

Right?! Wasn't there even a line recently about "no known super terrorists on American soil"?

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Oh my god that was amazing. Best show ever made.

gently caress Fresca

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I legit wanna buy some Fresca. It's been a while.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Seems I was wrong and am bad at watching tv.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Cindy just leaving the story would be good

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I wonder if stormfront shouting out apple cake in German while dying is a Hans Lander reference

Did anyone catch the full speech?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

After weeks of loving billy joel, hearing that beach boys come on was the definite highlight of the season.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
loved watching Stormfront get her poo poo kicked in. A+ show.

e: A+ Captioning game as well

What is the dying nazi describing?

"anden tag chloe (...) hat die aus dem autofenster geschrecht
wir haben den perfekten platz am fluss gefunten (...?)"

she's describing a day where a friend named Chloe called to her, having found a place by the river with apple trees, then talking about sitting under the shade of an apple tree and then ???

boo_radley fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Oct 9, 2020

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

BurritoJustice posted:

I wonder if stormfront shouting out apple cake in German while dying is a Hans Lander reference

My wife thinks it's gibberish but she barely grasps low-german (she's Mennonite) let alone regular, haha.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

BurritoJustice posted:

Apparently it's just this repeated

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

What's a better new profile pic

Or

BurritoJustice fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Oct 9, 2020

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Re: Butcher's decision at the end It was foreshadowed multiple times from different angles. Billy says to Becca straight up, maybe even twice?, that he's poison and shouldn't be around kids. And he very pointedly realized the parallels between his own upbringing and Homelander's. Billy trying to raise a supe kid into not being a c-word would be a decent set-up for misery television, sure, but there's just no way there'd be some kind of redemption arc for Butcher becoming a loving daddy.

As for the hook discussion, to echo what was already mentioned, Homelander is definitely even more psychotic now than he ever was. Maeve seemingly put him between the proverbial rock and the hard place, but Homelander probably doesn't respond too well to feeling caged. He can do whatever he wants, right? So there's two options here (at least), either he simmers quietly for a while and then just explodes in not-so-impotent rage, or (preferably) he starts some kind of crazy wheels within wheels scheme to 'liberate' himself. As the thread has discussed previously, Homelander actually is smart as far as supes go, when he wants to be (setting his white genocide face aside, I guess?), so crazy schemes to be the top man again would be interesting to see.

Rappaport fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Oct 9, 2020

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Rappaport posted:

Re: Butcher's decision at the end It was foreshadowed multiple times from different angles. Billy says to Becca straight up, maybe even twice?, that he's poison and shouldn't be around kids. And he very pointedly realized the parallels between his own upbringing and Homelander's. Billy trying to raise a supe kid into not being a c-word would be a decent set-up for misery television, sure, but there's just no way there'd be some kind of redemption arc for Butcher becoming a loving daddy.

As for the hook discussion, in addition to what was already mentioned, Homelander is definitely even more psychotic now than he ever was. Maeve seemingly put him between the proverbial rock and the hard place, but Homelander probably doesn't respond too well to feeling caged. He can do whatever he wants, right? So there's two options here (at least), either he simmers quietly for a while and then just explodes in not-so-impotent rage, or (preferably) he starts some kind of crazy wheels within wheels scheme to 'liberate' himself. As the thread has discussed previously, Homelander actually is smart as far as supes go, when he wants to be (setting his white genocide face aside, I guess?), so crazy schemes to be the top man again would be interesting to see.

They should have either commited to Butcher trying to be a better person and raising Ryan or just have Becca and Ryan go to some CIA safehouse or whatever. Fridging Becca and having Ryan leave with the CIA was just the worst way to end that plotline. I would have even accepted Homelander or Stormfront killing him instead.

Homelander still has his one major weakness: he needs people to love him. It's why Maeve's blackmail works. So he's not even close to being able to do whatever he wants.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

High Warlord Zog posted:

Any theories why she only killed the CIA lady in the first episode and none of The Boys?

Maybe The Boys are a plan B (or C or D) for dealing with any supe who becomes too much to handle. Especially considering Mallory and Co are going to be basically the supe police funded by faux-AOC

text editor posted:

Her "coup from the inside" probably meant she had actually picked up on Neuman being controlled opposition.

The Boys served some purpose for Neuman, and ultimately Edgar - she also thanks Hughie later for what he's done.

Really, Edgar/Neuman are probably cleaning up internals threats to Vought as well as the external ones as they angle for power

That thanks confused me, what did Hughie do again?

Favorite moments:
The reenactment of that scene in Office Space with the nazi as the printer.

and

"Oh, no, no no... I'm still going to cling to you, I'm not crazy..."

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Antony Starr killing every scene he is in. That dude better be collecting some awards.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

That thanks confused me, what did Hughie do again?

He helped get everything going with Lamplighter and the whole hearing happening.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Homelander still has his one major weakness: he needs people to love him.

I dunno how true that is going forward. He, uh, seems to have gotten into self-love.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Yeah, it's not an actual cliffhanger like last season leaving Butcher standing there with Homelander, but between the CIA sponsoring the Boys, AOC being a secret headpopper and Hughie going to work for her, and Homelander's mental deterioration, there's plenty of meat for another season. Honestly, this feels like the real conclusion to the show's first arc. These first two seasons are essentially an origin story, where our Normal Guy protagonist gets mixed up with Vought and supes and Butcher and his friends, and the S1 finale left most of those threads open -- Butcher and Becca, Hughie and Starlight, Starlight and Maeve being dissatisfied with Vought. Then season 2 was the second half with the actual finale to the story. I wonder if they planned it as a possible series finale, as it could work that way too.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

I guess wr have our VIC the veep?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

They should have either commited to Butcher trying to be a better person and raising Ryan or just have Becca and Ryan go to some CIA safehouse or whatever. Fridging Becca and having Ryan leave with the CIA was just the worst way to end that plotline. I would have even accepted Homelander or Stormfront killing him instead.

Homelander still has his one major weakness: he needs people to love him. It's why Maeve's blackmail works. So he's not even close to being able to do whatever he wants.

Yeah its real important at the beginning Stormfront says "now we won't need all this costumed nonsense in front of the crowds!" and Homelander is very visibly distraught. He WANTS the costumes and crowds. He loves being Super.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
From the "Inside the Boys" ep :

:carol: :catstare:

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
My real takeaway is they finally worked in that scene from Season One that got deleted.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

The reenactment of that scene in Office Space with the nazi as the printer.

Now I wanna watch that scene with drat it feels good to be a gangsta playing instead.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Going to echo the chorus here that the resolution of the Becca & Ryan plot was unsatisfying. Was hoping Becca would survive. I hope we see more of Ryan in the future, because he should still be a primary motivator for both Butcher and Homelander. Things concluded with such a nice bow that I can see next season being set a few years forward so they can come back with an older actor for Ryan.

I was honestly expecting the season to end with Homelander's speech. There is no way that the situation Maeve created at the tower is going to be stable.

I am sort of gripping here, but I throughly enjoyed the episode and season. Great series, some of the coolest superhero stuff I've ever witnessed.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Well drat, that resolved and started some new things didn't it.

Girls do get it done! Well, mostly, Stormfront did get away but watching them kick the poo poo out of her was satisfying. Can't say she's in a very good state but considering she's a hundred year old woman who doesn't age and supes can heal she might be back sooner than later, if nothing else as a cliff hanger at some point for when the poo poo finally goes down.

Said Becca was running on borrowed time and was proven right on that one. Though holy poo poo at who was doing all the head popping, that was loving crazy. What a reveal. I laughed hard at that.

Had to love The Deep getting screwed out of the Seven, again and A Train getting back in. And now he's broke as well. Probably.

If this was the comic Butcher would have killed the kid. TV version has more humanity still left in him.

Now we got the Boys who are going to police the supes essentially and keep them in line, that should be quite the busy time.

Oh and finally. They did have Homerlander jerking off over the city after all, hah.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Phenotype posted:

but between the CIA sponsoring the Boys

Keltar posted:

Now we got the Boys who are going to police the supes essentially and keep them in line, that should be quite the busy time.

I feel like I missed something here because that scene ended with Butcher walking away from Mallory, essentially turning down her offer. All of The Boys have their lives back and are free to do whatever.

I mean obviously they will at some point, probably when some terrible poo poo happens in s3e1 and they need to reform the band, but they aren't currently.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Don’t care what you say about following clues - you are a sodding wizard.

Not saying much for a couple of days so don’t spoil for anyone but Jesus. So many good moments. Best season finale for the year?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I feel like I missed something here because that scene ended with Butcher walking away from Mallory, essentially turning down her offer. All of The Boys have their lives back and are free to do whatever.

I mean obviously they will at some point, probably when some terrible poo poo happens in s3e1 and they need to reform the band, but they aren't currently.

lol if you think Butcher is done with supes. His wife just died and Homelander still exists.

Also headpopper is in charge of the new supe police, which should make for some good double crossing next season.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

"It's a loving coup from the inside" -Raynor, moments before exploding

AOC for president my dudes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

He would have called her a daft oval office and told her to shove it if he was not accepting.

He did the "cool walk away while accepting" routine essentially. I mean poo poo, remember who it is, what does he love to do more than anything else. He lives for this.

But until they do their thing which Hughie even mentions he's still part of they're free to enjoy life a bit.