Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Granite Octopus posted:

Is WRC9 looking any good? Watched Jimmy's video and he seemed to like it. Visually it looks pretty boring compared to Dirt Rally 2 but it could be YouTube compression. I generally prefer the historical cars over modern WRC cars so I might wait till it gets a bit cheaper.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPsSLM2WYcg

WRC8 was alright, but no VR so ultimately Dirt Rally 2 wins way more there, plus as you said I prefer the historic rally to the current modern WRC cars.

That Japan stage is straight Initial D though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I seem to remember someone itt posted that he is running a Fanatec DD1 on the Next Level Racing GT rig? Is it really stury enough, or was there any need for reinforcement?

I'm not really looking into "stronger" FFB in regard to the CSW 2.5, but more for a bit more fidelity on the input. But I have the feeling that the CSW 2.5 is already putting the GT rig at it's limits.

Also are the bore holes/pattern the same? Can I just remove the CSW 2.5 and attache the DD1? The drilling template seems to indicate this, but with Fanatec you never know.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
https://www.reddit.com/r/simracing/comments/iw4uwl/when_i_let_go_of_my_brake_my_car_starts_rolling/

I was googling some Assetto Corsa mods and ended up on the simracing sub-reddit and came across this...

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

I finally pulled the trigger on a set of CSL Elite LC pedals; their website says that shipments might be delayed. Anyone else buy anything from fanatec recently?

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

Lou Takki posted:

I finally pulled the trigger on a set of CSL Elite LC pedals; their website says that shipments might be delayed. Anyone else buy anything from fanatec recently?

If it was in stock you should be fine, warehouse processing takes a few days, and it takes a couple days after you get your tracking number for them to drop it off at FedEx, but it'll get there eventually. They just have that warning up for the people who freak out about them not being as fast as Amazon.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Throwing out a recommendation for https://v8scorsa.weebly.com/, V8 Supercars for AC. Really fun, love the Holden. FFB loads up a bit too heavy when turning in imo but ok once I turned it down a notch.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I'm glad that even with something as obvious as a classic touring cars pack, AMS2 is still getting in something most people won't have driven before like the Lotus 23. I don't think that was even in GT Legends.
https://twitter.com/ReizaStudios/status/1309876475273924609

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I just set up a simrig for a friend who doesn't want to go full-VR due to cost etc. I got him one of those 49 inch curved displays as it was like 40% off, and he's absolutely loving it (it is pretty cool, to be honest).

He still loves that you can look into turns (especially hairpins) way more easy with a VR set. How good is TrackIR? I have zero experience with it. The price doesn't turn him off, he just wants a little bit more immersion/interactivity without going VR. He's currently playing AC and some R3E.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I used track IR before I switched to vr on elite dangerous and it worked great.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Ditto, I've used TrackIR on non-VR stuff for a decade. It's very good.

That said, there are alternatives available these days, FreeTrack and OpenTrack and whatever else. I know nothing about them since I've always had TIR, but it's probably worth looking into those.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
TrackIR is very, very expensive for what it is, but it's very good. And without them paving the way, you wouldn't have as many games supporting it as it is. My only issue with it is that you really have to get your camera placement and IR placement perfect.

The alternatives are very good though, sometimes even better.

Alternatives:

- Gyroscope solution like EDTracker
-- This is actually my favourite solution since it's gyro based and no need to deal with a camera and potential camera deadzones. Also works well in scenarios where you can't place a camera near your face like the living room or using a projector or something. Unfortunately, the company looks to be dead.

- PS3 camera solutions (DelanClip, TrackHat, DIY etc.)
-- I'd say these solutions are actually more flexible because OpenTrack is so configurable so you can really dial it in.

- TrackIR ripoff (TrackNP5)
-- Kind of a shady solution since it appears that a Chinese company was able to clone the TrackIR's chip and hardware, it even uses the official TrackIR software. Available for like $50 on eBay last I checked.

- SmoothTrack app on iOS/Android
-- $10 app, lots of great reviews. You need a phone with ARCore support (most modern phones do). I've personally tried it and it works really well for pitch, yaw and roll. Didn't work too well for X,Y,Z movement but it might be due to my phone. Also uses OpenTrack via wi-fi so very configurable as well.

Honestly though, if the only thing preventing him from going VR is cost. You can probably get a cheap WMR headset on sale like the Samsung Odyssey Plus and it'll be a better solution than all the above. I picked one up on sale for like $300 CAD. But hey, he already has that sweet monitor so might as well improve it with a head tracker.

Constellation I fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 29, 2020

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Sound good, thanks all! I'll forward all these suggestions to him, and he should pick one.

I mentioned the Samsung Odyssey to him, though without any personal experience. Since he uses the rig for other games as well, he was more interested in the big rear end display (and boy is that a nice display, especially at the price)

But you know...now that he spent a couple hours in the rig, the simracing attitude kicks in: :homebrew:

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I must say though, for simracing it seems that head tracking is more of a novelty for me. I only really need it for Euro Truck and for flight and space sims. He also has that super ultra wide, so it might just be more trouble than it's worth.

VR though? Sim racing in VR is amazing

Constellation I fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Sep 30, 2020

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Constellation I posted:

I must say though, for simracing it seems that head tracking is more of a novelty for me. I only really need it for Euro Truck and for flight and space sims. He also has that super ultra wide, so it might just be more trouble than it's worth.

VR though? Sim racing in VR is amazing

I raced quite a bit with his ultra wide (for science! I promise, not because I didn't want to let go off it), and I still missed the ability to really look into hairpins or do the quick headturn to see if the guy is still beside me (outside of Crewchief telling me "he's still there"). I think I can't even imagine doing WRX-sims outside of VR anymore... I'm looking forward to him getting one of these solutions so I can compare it to VR.

e: also VR helps me way more when I spin out for reentering the track without causing havoc, but that might be an entirely different problem ;)

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
I own a TrackIR but haven't set it up on the new rig, which also sports a 49" super ultra wide. I used to rely on Real Head Motion for looking into turns but with the ultra wide I only use RHM for looking into spin-outs/drifting. As far as knowing other cars around me I use both Car Radar and Helicorsa as well as Crewchief.

I bounced off of VR for racing pretty hard back when I had a Vive. Maybe the resolution on some of the new headsets is big enough? I just haven't been interested in bothering (mostly because the Vive gave me headaches after 40 minutes anyway).

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I should try out my TrackIR for this, although I'm not sure how well it will work on my current rig since the sensor is gonna end up either really high, really low, or really off to one side with the big 43" 16x9 monitor I have.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I don't know if anyone's playing F1 2020, but I the past couple of days have been what feels like a major breakthrough in learning how to drive with a wheel. I've only had the game for a few months and this is my first racing experience, so I'm pretty below average with a wheel, but I've gotten to where I've turned off all the assists except ABS. I felt like I plateaued at around 75-80 AI until the other night I just said gently caress it, turned off ABS, and just TT'd Spain until I understood how to actually brake going into turns and it was like a million lightbulbs went off in my head. I felt like I could actually feel the car rotating into tight corners and coasting around turns just clicked so clearly. With ABS I was just slamming on the brakes and throwing it into corners, fighting the understeer and feeling like that was that. They say when you turn off an assist you go backwards in difficulty a bit until you figure it out, but in just an evening I ended up turning the difficulty up to 90 and I still feel like it should be higher. Driving feels easier with ABS off in a way that didn't happen with any of the other assists. It took a long time to relearn how to drive with Traction Control off, for example, and I didn't feel that much of a difference once I figured it out. But turning ABS off was like night and day. Dunno, I just felt the need to share that with someone because holy poo poo this just got so much more fun.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Fhqwhgads posted:

I don't know if anyone's playing F1 2020, but I the past couple of days have been what feels like a major breakthrough in learning how to drive with a wheel. I've only had the game for a few months and this is my first racing experience, so I'm pretty below average with a wheel, but I've gotten to where I've turned off all the assists except ABS. I felt like I plateaued at around 75-80 AI until the other night I just said gently caress it, turned off ABS, and just TT'd Spain until I understood how to actually brake going into turns and it was like a million lightbulbs went off in my head. I felt like I could actually feel the car rotating into tight corners and coasting around turns just clicked so clearly. With ABS I was just slamming on the brakes and throwing it into corners, fighting the understeer and feeling like that was that. They say when you turn off an assist you go backwards in difficulty a bit until you figure it out, but in just an evening I ended up turning the difficulty up to 90 and I still feel like it should be higher. Driving feels easier with ABS off in a way that didn't happen with any of the other assists. It took a long time to relearn how to drive with Traction Control off, for example, and I didn't feel that much of a difference once I figured it out. But turning ABS off was like night and day. Dunno, I just felt the need to share that with someone because holy poo poo this just got so much more fun.

:hfive:

I wonder if the FFB in AC is good enough to do this. I've gotten decent at TC off but ABS off is a disaster still. Maybe I'll follow your lead and bang out laps of the Nurburging GP course before I watch the race this week.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Nice dude!

I played a ton of 2018 and 2019 F1, but haven't gotten 2020 yet because 1. this season is a shitshow and 2. its the same game basically and 3. no VR support

I don't play it as much now because of the lack of VR, but I did enjoy the game if only for having all the F1 stuff that games who try to cater to a wide audience end up missing.

Racing with no assists is the poo poo. If you're up against 90 AIs then you're better than I am dude!

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Fhqwhgads posted:

I felt like I plateaued at around 75-80 AI until the other night I just said gently caress it, turned off ABS, and just TT'd Spain until I understood how to actually brake going into turns and it was like a million lightbulbs went off in my head. I felt like I could actually feel the car rotating into tight corners and coasting around turns just clicked so clearly. With ABS I was just slamming on the brakes and throwing it into corners, fighting the understeer and feeling like that was that. They say when you turn off an assist you go backwards in difficulty a bit until you figure it out, but in just an evening I ended up turning the difficulty up to 90 and I still feel like it should be higher. Driving feels easier with ABS off in a way that didn't happen with any of the other assists. It took a long time to relearn how to drive with Traction Control off, for example, and I didn't feel that much of a difference once I figured it out. But turning ABS off was like night and day. Dunno, I just felt the need to share that with someone because holy poo poo this just got so much more fun.

Good poo poo! I had that kind of moment when i switched to VR. Being in a 3D space made it easier to "feel" the effect of the pedals on the car. It was in the Skippy, in iRacing. Fucker instantly became more fun to drive than when I played on a monitor.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Hello PC Sim Racing nerds! Please enjoy this crosspost from the iRacing thread:

Fellblade posted:

We in the discord are starting up a new Bearpope League series on Fridays at 21:30 GMT, come race with us!

We're racing the Kia Optima (Free car!) starting off at Oulton Park (now Free!), followed by Oran Park (also now Free!).

We do Friday and Sunday races pretty much every week, no matter your skill level you will find somebody at your pace for some good close racing.

Discord
https://discord.gg/g4PDRhM

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Anybody in here have a quest 2 yet? How is the screen clarity for seeing the details in car?

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly
"Welcome to another edition of The Sim Racing Garage. I'm Barry Rowland. In this episode we'll take a look at this Phillips Shaver I got off Amazon because I badly need a haircut. So let's get to it!"

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Anybody in here have a quest 2 yet? How is the screen clarity for seeing the details in car?

I got one, screen clarity is a lot better than my Samsung Odyssey+. Surprisingly so, given that I didn't think the resolution bump would make it look that much sharper (1440x1600 vs 1832×1920). But it's probably also due to the blurring filter on the Odyssey to remove the screen door effect.

Unfortunately though, it's pretty stuttery for me using it wirelessly via Virtual Desktop. I have a long USB cable coming in the mail soon to try Oculus Link, but they haven't updated Link to use the new Quest 2 resolution yet. Also, the black levels going from OLED to a regular LCD is kind of a bummer if you're used to OLED.

You might want to hold out for the Reverb G2 and check comparisons for when that's out. 2160x2160 per eye would definitely get you the car details you'd need.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Sebastian Flyte posted:

"Welcome to another edition of The Sim Racing Garage. I'm Barry Rowland. In this episode we'll take a look at this Phillips Shaver I got off Amazon because I badly need a haircut. So let's get to it!"

How dare you sully the dulcet tones of Barry Rowland. His reviews are incredibly detailed to the point where I fall asleep during then but still, mans a legend

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I like it a lot. Racing in assetto corsa in the new Suzuka mod with the kunos Miata to test it and it’s insane how good it looks compared to the odyssey+ or rift S. It looks better on wifi with virtual desktop but I imagine once link gets updated they’ll be about equal in visual fidelity.

Here’s the new Suzuka btw. It’s a mod conversion of the laser scanned one from ACC and it’s fantastic.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/idkqua4w4c54lb8/rt_suzuka.7z/file

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

NtotheTC posted:

How dare you sully the dulcet tones of Barry Rowland. His reviews are incredibly detailed to the point where I fall asleep during then but still, mans a legend

I only notice his ever increasing hair length at the start and the end when he's in front of the camera. The rest of the time he's the simracing book at bedtime uncle Barry.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Barry is chill as gently caress and really down to earth for a guy who has tens of thousands of dollars of sim racing gear literally thrown at him.

Like he can review your average Logitech thing and be objective and not all “well it doesn’t hold a candle to my $15,000 Heusinkveld one”

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
barry loving rules, he is living the nerd dream

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Project Cars still worth picking up? How important is the DLC?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The first one? It's ok. I'm not really sure if any of them are really worth it. It seems like each one has some caveat where the game isn't what it could be.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Project Cars in 2020 is basically pointless unless you want a racing game with a career progression, and even then Forza is probably the better choice.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

codo27 posted:

Yes and not that important unless there’s a car/track you really like.

It gets a bad rap around here but it’s a perfectly fine game/sim. Lots of fun content and it looks good, although if you can get PC2 on sale I don’t think there’s really much reason to play 1.

Using a wheel, I greatly prefer PCars to Forza. With a controller, Forza all the way. I also always liked PCars better than AC because it has better weather (rain/storms), a better interface, and more cars and tracks I’m interested in (I don’t really like loving around with a bunch of mods of wildly varying quality).

The career stuff is okay but I usually just did custom races. Didn’t do a lot of online races because they were usually shitshows. iRacing is the only good online racing imo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

codo27 posted:

1 and 2 are pretty solid sim-cade racers with solid VR support.

3 is a very arcadey game that made everybody upset.

The DLC is extremely unnecessary, the base games have plenty to do. But if you like cars and want more cars, its there.

njsykora posted:

Project Cars in 2020 is basically pointless unless you want a racing game with a career progression, and even then Forza is probably the better choice.

Forza has no VR support, so that could be a game changer.

Assetto Corsa is the closest comparison I think, having similar handling and graphics and VR. AC is cool but requires more fiddling and knowing what you want to do. PCars is nice to just jump in and do some races. Both have value.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
P Cars 2 is worth it just because of the freedom you get, you can run an 80s Group C car on Historic Spa in the snow if you like, it still has it's place I think

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Freedom to run any car on any track is something that’s basically expected in any sim racing game though. It’s not special to Pcars.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

yeah, but PCars2 has a pretty big amount of cars, tracks and weather conditions to gently caress around with, and while it might not be the best sim, it's just fun to do it without having to search for/install/manage custom content. It looks good, has one of the best VR modes imo, and is overall just "fun" to toy around with.

It has a lot of flaws, but also brings a lot to the table. Sure, many cars drive exactly the same etc., but I also tend to boot it up at lot of times if I just wanna chill out in an overall decent simcade with lots of options out of the box.

I think it is a nice sandbox of a racing game.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

njsykora posted:

Freedom to run any car on any track is something that’s basically expected in any sim racing game though. It’s not special to Pcars.

I do agree, it's just like, the thing it's still good at, just imo of course.
Setting up a multi weather night race in crazy car track combos generates enough fun to pick it up, maybe on sale, but worth it.
I'm thinking about the sims I own and not really coming up with something comparable, I know you get rain in ACC and stuff like that, but a lap around the Nords in a 4x4 in a lightning storm at night that changes to a sunny morning is something I associate with P Cars 2

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
PCars2 is great for a big variety of cars and tracks without having to dive headfirst into modding. It’s visuals are great and VR support is nice too. Plus it has a decent career progression and gamey elements. The handling and force feedback are definitely good enough too. And now it’s pretty cheap.

It’s the perfect sim to start out with and figure out if you like sim-racing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Project Cars 2 is absolutely worth picking up for the $10 or whatever it goes for these days. Is it the absolute best sim experience? No. But it doesn’t deserve the snobbery surrounding it for what is a pretty enjoyable game with a large variety of content.