Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Saying any professional sports team is going 'full heel' is insanely lame, and doing that with the Astros is even worse than with like the Warriors or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Heel is a term whose origins are rooted in sports

Well wrestling at least

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well like "heel" implies acting. So like some people "turn heel" and lean in. But some people are just assholes. But then like any trolling or "ironic" act do it long enough or hard enough and art becomes reality.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

one of the interesting things about the houston astros is that they banged the cans

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Intruder posted:

Heel is a term whose origins are rooted in sports

Well wrestling at least
Im aware

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

How did the Cubs lose to the Marlins? They looked real bad every game against the Braves.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Kirios posted:

How did the Cubs lose to the Marlins? They looked real bad every game against the Braves.

bats were sick...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Glasnow on 2 days is nuts.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
The Cubs aren't great and 2 games is nothing

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Sorry Tampa, that was your chance.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Turns out you might have to face 95+ MPH pitching in the post season.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

mcmagic posted:

Glasnow on 2 days is nuts.

Rematch of last year's ALDS Game 5!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Reminder that Glasnow's glove location determines which pitch he's throwing

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

So, Fried, Anderson, Wright, presumably Wilson or maybe Ynoa, then back to Fried, Anderson, Wright? I definitely don't want to see them try to send Fried into hero mode like 1/4/maybe short in 7 given that he's already shown signs of wear even in a short season (and also not really doubting him in the medium- or long-term but idk if he is the best option for any given game?) Could carry both Wright and Ynoa and make the call when you have to, but Tomlin's already there too as a piggyback option (not that I really want to see him doing anything other than eating innings in a mop-up when either team has conceded already.)

There are only two potential paths to victory: either go up 3-0 (not happening), ride out the losses in games 4 and 5, and hope either a normally-rested Fried or Anderson carries you to victory in one of the final games; or win two of the first three (also probably not happening), concede game 4, and then hope to take 2 of the final 3 (again, not happening) with each starter on short rest.

Realistically, I don't see how the Braves make the series competitive; getting to game 6 would be a huge achievement.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

So I'm of two minds over why to root for Houston.

When you want Dusty to win it’s one bang, rooting against them is two bangs.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I now want the Astros to win straight up because it is the funniest possible outcome in this chaos universe

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I feel like if Paul DeJong is a flat eather maybe he isn't the smartest person on the team :thunk:

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The Braves certainly aren't going to win out, but I just want to take a minute to appreciate that four of their five playoff wins are by shutout.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I feel like if Paul DeJong is a flat eather maybe he isn't the smartest person on the team :thunk:

Or maybe the team is just really dumb

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Maybe it’s relative and everyone else believes in hollow earth bullshit

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Quality graphic

https://twitter.com/atf13atf/status/1314420426420912129?s=21

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Is that your twitter?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I will eat the bananas again if the Astros win it all

e: granted last time is was more of a bargaining thing, this time I'm 100% sure I'll never have to

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Is that your twitter?
No I’m not as funny as whoever runs that account

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I think it’s fair to say the Dodgers made a statement with this game

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bawfuls posted:

absolutely devastating diss track released on Padres twitter

https://twitter.com/corussokids/status/1312950012863627265

I hope these fine young gentlemen are ok

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Kirios posted:

The Cubs have been "trying to put it together at the plate" since November 3, 2016. they're in a mediocre division and didn't win it the last two years before. Bryant, Rizzo, Baez, Schwarber, and Contreras didn't hit this year at all. They have two starting pitchers, a guy who looks like he used to be a starting pitcher, and whatever an Alec Mills is. I honestly don't know who the fifth starter was this year and I follow this team. Was it Tyler chatwood? Was it adbert alzolay? Was it "bullpen game because St. Louis is a covid encrusted flat earth shithole and we have to play 12 games in 2 days?" The bullpen is Jeremy Jeffress, Craig Kimbrel except he's broken except sometimes he gets out of it because Veteran Experience, and 7 guys named Adam Kyle. No one can get a lefty out. Theo stopped giving a poo poo because his ticket to Cooperstown is booked. The Ricketts are too focused on the trump campaign to care about anything except bulldozing wrigleyville, and the games aren't on WGN anymore.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Poor Darvish, finally puts together a great season since he appeared to be done and has a good playoff start and the Cubs score 1 run in their two games against the Marlins

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

As much as I want to believe every horrible thing about the Cardinals and never fear their Devil Magic again:

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1314320204483235840?s=20

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Not a bad bit, but he's no Maddux.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Intruder posted:

I hope these fine young gentlemen are ok

I guess Mookie Betts really is the GOAT. Sorry, Tony.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I’m pretty sure the Astros just laid low all season and are debuting a new cheating scheme now that they’re in the playoffs.

Also Houston is blue but not that blue. Biden won Houston in the primary. An entire city owned by the fossil fuel industry isn’t gonna skew as far left as it should despite the fact they’re the latest poster child for climate change.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Whatever you gotta do to convince yourself everyone from the same geographic region as the Astros is bad too.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

He's @'d every team who's lost a playoff game.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

And thus returns my "please don't sign Trevor Bauer" watch.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Inspector_666 posted:

He's @'d every team who's lost a playoff game.

Yeah he is just loving around since he loves getting people mad

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

It might be his greatest talent.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Sab0921 posted:

Whatever you gotta do to convince yourself everyone from the same geographic region as the Astros is bad too.

I’m not saying that at all, at least not personally. I actually like Houston - good food, much more diverse than I expected, people are pretty nice. It’s also not a bastion of progressivism. (Neither is Austin as much as they and Abbott like to pretend it is.)

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

It might be his greatest talent.
It’s not a talent. Much like, as Meg Rowley said about him recently on EW, being a contrarian is not a personality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

STAC Goat posted:

And thus returns my "please don't sign Trevor Bauer" watch.

I feel like Cole's presence guarantees the Yankees won't even try, since they loving hate each other.