Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Pick posted:

just show me bashir and garak got married you darn cartoon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I really liked the season finale of lower decks

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

Achmed Jones posted:

I really liked the season finale of lower decks

it was very good

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Everyone praising Lower Decks should have to also post their results of a Rick and Morty purity test.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
You're right, Dan Harmon should write a few episodes after a particularly nasty divorce

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I'm not quite sure what that means but I do not generally care for rick and morty. I did like the first episode with the dogs though. I like dogs.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I think it's really funny how some people cannot stop comparing lower decks to a show it has zero in common with because how can one cartoon not be same as other cartoon???

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Lower Decks sounds like Teen Titans Go! for Star Trek. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but I'm definitely sure that it's not enough to make me pay for CBS All Access.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Grand Fromage posted:

I think it's really funny how some people cannot stop comparing lower decks to a show it has zero in common with because how can one cartoon not be same as other cartoon???

When the show runner of one cartoon had previously worked on the other one, it is understandable that people would compare them.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Grand Fromage posted:

It has a similar art style and is marketed with a bunch of jokes about drinking and puking because Rick & Morty is currently monolithic in "mature" animation. The content of the show may not be close in spirit, but that people thinking it's similar is an intentional effect of CBS marketing.

Edit: lol it's from a writer/producer on Rick and Morty and co-creator of that other Justin Roiland show that looks like it should be a R&M spinoff. I get that impression is misleading but it has a LOT in common.

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Oct 9, 2020

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

hakimashou posted:

he played C.H.U.D. riker in ds9 though not normal riker

thanks now I’m thinking are the marquis chuds? And it’s all I can think about

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

shadow puppet of a posted:

Everyone praising Lower Decks should have to also post their results of a Rick and Morty purity test.

I liked last episode of Lower Decks, the rest were not my cup of tea.

I've seen the first 3 seasons or so of R&M, but I slept on them and didn't watch them that close to air. They're well animated and has a cool style and unique approach, and I really like Dan Harmon's writing. Season 3 was good but very nihilistic to the point where it was almost uncomfortable to watch. Haven't seen season 4 yet, probably won't for a while.

The fans are bad, but that's fans for you.

And I don't think there's really that much at all in common with Lower Decks when you get down to it, the things I like about Lower Decks aren't the things I like about R&M, the things I dislike about Lower Decks aren't really related to R&M, they're two very different shows with some very limited crossover in crew.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
i saw one episode of the lower decks and it was really loving bad so i did not watch the rest

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

chaosbreather posted:

no, the maquis were hipsters.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

chaosbreather posted:

The Maquis aren't chuds but they do suck.

They're named after a segment of the French resistance but are basically like if they stuck around after liberation and spent half their time guerilla bombing England for not punishing the Germans hard enough after the war.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

mango sentinel posted:

It has a similar art style and is marketed with a bunch of jokes about drinking and puking because Rick & Morty is currently monolithic in "mature" animation. The content of the show may not be close in spirit, but that people thinking it's similar is an intentional effect of CBS marketing.

To be honest the similarity is mainly the circular eyes, too. The art style on lower decks is a more detailed and a lot more shaded, whereas Rick and Morty is always flat and more stylised and deliberately blobby.

The backgrounds and setting and non-character elements in lower decks in particular are dramatically more detailed and lit, much closer to realism.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Oct 9, 2020

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Honestly, I'm disappointed that they didn't make Riker thicc and juicy like he is in real life. What the gently caress.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

This is right after Nemesis, when he was thick but nowhere near as thick as now.

He's back next season, maybe every time he recurs they can just make him a bit thicker until he looks like he did in Picard.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

MikeJF posted:

This is right after Nemesis, when he was thick but nowhere near as thick as now.

He's back next season, maybe every time he recurs they can just make him a bit thicker until he looks like he did in Picard.

I dunno, he was pretty plump in Nemesis, too.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Bogus Adventure posted:

Moob squad, report

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bogus Adventure posted:

I always liked the movie/DS9 uniforms. It's a shame they pivoted back to TNG-esque ones for Picard.

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009

Bogus Adventure posted:

Lmao i never noticed how dad bod the crew had become by the time of nemesis

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's possible my polyalloy body has evolved, developing an autonomous subroutine that expands its volume in order to mimick the effects of middle age in human males. I must admit to a certain hesitation towards observing the effects with my emotion chip activated.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bogus Adventure posted:

oh sweet, i never realised i had a riker level bod before

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm pretty sure Michael Dorn is about 50% padding there.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Computer; Level 5 Riker Bod. Override Safeties: Picard-Alpha-5-Tango-3

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I have seen 0 episodes of Rick & Morty, and 0 episodes of Lower Decks. Correlation: 100%

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i have never watched star trek

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

MikeJF posted:

They hosed up O’Brien’s caricature, too. They must not have dad bod shapes in their flash assets folder.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i have an idea for a new star trek series where barclay is still wired to the ship's computer and he goes on adventures throughout the galaxy with his band of mercenaries who were sent to prison for a crime they didnt commit

i call it the star trek team

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

Moob squad, report

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GolfHole posted:

i have an idea for a new star trek series where barclay is still wired to the ship's computer and he goes on adventures throughout the galaxy with his band of mercenaries who were sent to prison for a crime they didnt commit

i call it the Away Team

Come on; It was right there! :colbert:

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

o poo poo

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Neurolimal posted:

Moob squad, report

Captain, structural integrity of my girdle is at 53% and falling

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Applewhite posted:

They hosed up O’Brien’s caricature, too. They must not have dad bod shapes in their flash assets folder.

To be fair, if they did an accurate head size / face size / body size ratio, everyone would just assume he's an alien.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Come on; It was right there! :colbert:

“ it was called “ The guys who traveled trough space a lot””

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

GolfHole posted:

i call it the star trek team

"Barclay and the Clone-a-saurus"

Diorama
Apr 18, 2006

i remember when all this was fields
I have a weird childhood memory that in DS9 somebody wanted to bang Kira and got a holophoto or something of them, but then when they did the simulation Kira had Quark's head because he'd been punk'd or something.

Is this canon or did I have a really weird dream

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Diorama posted:

I have a weird childhood memory that in DS9 somebody wanted to bang Kira and got a holophoto or something of them, but then when they did the simulation Kira had Quark's head because he'd been punk'd or something.

Is this canon or did I have a really weird dream

that is Canon, the episode is Meridian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Pick posted:

that is Canon, the episode is Meridian

It's the only good part of that episode, watch the first five minutes then the last (all the bits with Jeffrey Combs and Quark).