Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Keldulas posted:

It's sad that siding with the rebels is actually the least questionable path. Normally, that'd be defined as 'best', but really, NO ONE is coming off well in this fight.

Welcome to the bronze age! Honestly this isn't nearly as bad as it could be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anfauglir
Jun 8, 2007
Is everyone sucks let the edict kill us all a valid vote here? Because I feel like it should be.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Nerat because hopefully he will die?

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Anfauglir posted:

Is everyone sucks let the edict kill us all a valid vote here? Because I feel like it should be.

You can in fact just say gently caress it and let the Edict kill everybody. Got a special ending and everything.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

As someone who has played the game, I'll say that the vote here will not permanently lock allegiance to a faction forever and that there are ways of driving a dagger squarely into the back of whoever you pick to... 'help.'

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Honestly, I'm going to let Graven Ashe lead, both because that move with his son was such a dick move I don't want to give Nerat anything, but also because frankly it punishes Ashe, too. I don't like either of these assholes! I just like the one that would torture a dude's son to death and taunt him with the agonized shell of his son's personality less!

It's just funny because if the inciting incident was different, my decision would be, too.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

This, of course, shows us the truth of the rebels - they're not fighting for equality, they're fighting to bring back the old status quo where the nobles were on top and the peasants were down instead of the Kyrosian status quo of Kyros, then the Archons, then everyone else. The tipping point between a recruitment attempt and the message we're about to receive is literally two nobles. The 10 infantrymen we killed have no effect on whether or not the Vendrien Guard like us, and all of the wrath we gain from killing Vendrien Guard troops is reset to zero as soon as we sign onto team rebel. It's the Bronze Age, life sucks and technology is bad.

This, I think, isn't completely fair. While the nobles are, in part, trying to preserve their own power, the fact is, if they can reach an accord where they swear fealty to Kyros, but then get to continue ruling the Tiers in the way they had been prior to the invasion, it would be a massive improvement that would almost assuredly save countless lives. Keep in mind, Kyros has offered the Archons rulership of the Tiers as the prize for success (only the one who strikes the final blow, of course, gotta keep the underlings squabbling). Under Graven Ashe, the entire region becomes a giant concentration camp (the forced labor kind, not the death kind, at least until Ashe decides his precious Northmen need summer homes). Under Nerat, it's not even anarchy, but rather what could only be described as a form of government where cruelty rules everything (I checked the ancient Greek and the best translation I could gin up was "oulocracy", using a word meaning "destructive, baneful, cruel").

If the rebels are in a position to genuinely believe the Fatebinder isn't just amenable to them, but actively on their side, the only responsible option is to see if maybe there's a way out that doesn't end in everyone dead, enslaved, or insane. And that way is "surrender to Kyros on our terms, to minimize the suffering".

Also, as an aside, Ashe may care about his men, but one of his less spoken-of failings is that he is wildly overconfident in their abilities. His insistence on his men leading the vanguard is because he is truly convinced they'll suffer minimal casualties and just steamroll the rebels and the rebels will all die of fright and then Nerat will pee his pants and everyone will laugh and Kyros will name Ashe his #1 Favorite Good Boy and give him a puppy. Ashe is a good commander, but as a strategist he sucks poo poo. Nerat is in many ways the opposite. He's actually quite good at strategy, but suffers from Starscream Syndrome, which will typically cause his otherwise solid plans to unravel, and makes everyone hate him.

As to my vote, go with the Disfavored. For now.

EDIT: Actually, come to think of it, it's funny, both the Disfavored and Scarlet Chorus end up winning all their battles through sheer brute force. The Disfavored by having iron equipment, excellent combat training, and literal magic that keeps them from dying, and the Scarlet Chorus through human wave tactics and a Darwinian philosophy that means anyone who served long enough to be called "veteran" is extremely dangerous in a fight. And all because their leaders either can't strategize for poo poo (Ashe) or are too compulsively evil to carry out a plan (Nerat).

EclecticTastes fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Oct 9, 2020

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Heh, glad to see the discussion. I agree you're right the Tiers nobility is better for the local area as the Vendrien Guard genuinely respect Florian's sacrifice and are motivated to fight. That said, it's pretty clear that the lives of the nobility are more highly valued than the common soldier, which will be touched on in a bonus update.

We're going to talk about Ashe and his troops, but I honestly get the impression Ashe is more in love with the idea of being a beloved commander than he is a watchful shepherd of his men. There's one event in particular in the very late game I'm thinking of. Keep this thought in the back of your head for later.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I feel like there should be an ending where Cleopatra kicks all three armies in the shins, takes the throne herself, and convinces Kyros that was the only reasonable solution.

jwalrus
Jul 27, 2007

Stroth posted:

Yeah that only procs if you go check the grave. Probably because otherwise you wouldn't know what the gently caress is going on.

I got it my first time through the game, and I didn't even know the grave existed until just now.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Can I just say, the scene where Nerat just loses it is loving amazing. Just, good stuff in general, I love this war meeting. Like when an embedded researcher comes into a community, it takes a while for them to just go back to their business as usual, here we see what business as usual is like between Ashe and Nerat. The pitiful scene that was our first war summit was still an order of magnitude better than this total shitshow, I love this so much.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I am voting for Scarlet Chorus, because I haven't been able to convince myself to support them in any of my own playthroughs :v:

megane posted:

I feel like there should be an ending where Cleopatra kicks all three armies in the shins, takes the throne herself, and convinces Kyros that was the only reasonable solution.

I don't consider this much of a spoiler, but you can absolutely do the first part. Not sure about the latter, in the original game you couldn't remain a loyalist at all (I think this change was for the worse, but I am going to leave the why until much later into the game), and after the patch the game crashes on me too much to finish playing.

Meadowhill
Jan 5, 2015
Disfavoured

Nerat's starting to be a bit much.

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
This LP has definitely done an excellent job of making me not want to support either party here.

But since we have to choose I guess I'll throw my vote in with the Scarlet Chorus

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Scarlet Chorus. Disfavoured are nerds

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Scarlet Chorus. At least Nerat is entertaining to be around. Take the madman over the rear end in a top hat.

I'm actually glad we are locked out of the Rebel path - I think it's the one most players would take after seeing the Archons in action and it ends up being pretty boring with the only real tension being between the player and Tunon.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Oct 9, 2020

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
Scarlet Chorus

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Go with the chorus and backstab the poo poo out of them whenever possible.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Disfavored.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Cythereal posted:

Disfavored.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I say Disfavored. Both generals are inept assholes who vastly overestimate themselves and their troops, but one of them is also a paranoid habitual backstabber, so let's not go with that one. You can predict the general shape of the Disfavored's fuckups by asking "okay, how would an overconfident moron stumble into this blindingly obvious trap," but who knows what catastrophic fuckery the Scarlet Chorus will unleash?

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

gently caress Nerat. Go with The Disfavored.

Ashe is a dipshit, but at least he's a dipshit we can work with.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Disfavoured

Ashe is a giant dumbass but at least he´ll probably only try betray us once. Nerat seems like the kind of fuckstick that will continuously try to gently caress us over until his inevitable betrayal.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Ah, so that's where I screwed myself out of the rebel path. It really doesn't signpost that well at all.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Gort posted:

Ah, so that's where I screwed myself out of the rebel path. It really doesn't signpost that well at all.

I had to look it up in a guide. My last attempt before that, I screwed myself by convincing this guy to turn himself in, but that I would make sure that he has a dagger handy and the ties are not too strong during his meeting with Nerat. You would think that the rebels would like this, but no :shrug:

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Having ran through all the paths already, I can say without a doubt the Chorus left the worst taste in my mouth, until the very end.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Having ran through all the paths already, I can say without a doubt the Chorus left the worst taste in my mouth, until the very end.

Really? Because it was the other guys for me. I can't really share why yet (not only because of spoilers, because it's actually quite brilliant, what is done), but if we're talking about horror and guilt, the Disfavored path takes it over the Chorus one.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'd say the Chorus is more explicit about being evil. If you aren't paying attention, it is much easier to buy the Vendrien Guard as heroic or Ashe as justified.

BoxofWoe
Jan 12, 2019

Anfauglir posted:

Barring this, I vote Ashe, as Nerat unsettles me and I feel like he's tied to/is an eldritch abomination. Granted he's an abomination anyway, but I draw the line at Eldritch.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

BoxofWoe posted:

Barring this, I vote Ashe, as Nerat unsettles me and I feel like he's tied to/is an eldritch abomination. Granted he's an abomination anyway, but I draw the line at Eldritch.

Yeah I'll vote Ashe as well.

Nerat has a non-zero chance of trying to kill us and devour our soul. Ashe is at least limited to plain murder.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
I believe we missed a chance to deliver Kyros' justice. Sort of between the training ground and the smith, there was a dispute between a member of each legion. A little late now I guess.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Yeah, I hope we get back to these, if not in this playthrough, then some time. Resolving disputes and playing around is one of the things that really makes this game stand out, so that should be shown off.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I say we go with Disfavoured!

Also an additional request.

We have both a Chorus and Disfavoured party member in this party who are technically loyal to you (I mean Verse is, I am assuming Barik is her analogue)). However this scene is about to blow up, please make sure you shield either of them as well as you can.

Ashe is about to ignore the loving treaty flag while Nerat is literally going insane right now. Bloodshed is very possible I think.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
This is another of those choices where I’d need to know what future option the game will allow me. Because my preference would be to pick Nerat for the assault, with Ashe’s forces in reserve ready to carry the tower should the Chorus fail. Express confidence Nerat will show the strength of the Chorus.

Then privately arrange with Ashe to ensure the Chorus gets slaughtered by his forces, and promise that if Nerat survives, he shall face Kyros’ justice for the murder of his son.

Ideally, both sides get wiped out while fulfilling the edict and Cairn is given control of the Tiers. If Nerat and Ashe both survive, bring first Nerat and then Ashe to justice for treachery and incompetence.

Frozenzen
Mar 26, 2016
Go with the disfavoured.

The scarlet chorus path has the issue of being kind of dumb (and it often left me with a bad taste in my mouth). And I'd rather see a close analysis of how the disfavoured path is probably equally hosed up, but in slightly more insidious ways.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Disfavoured

They suck but eating an allied officer's brain to learn how to gently caress your allies over is pretty clearly unreliable and unhinged behavior, cannot trust the other guys.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Chorus. Nerat is a murderous, psychotic rear end in a top hat, but at least he's not racist.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
Chorus. Nerat is untrustworthy, unpredictable, capriciously destructive and smug, but at least the fucker's got style.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

pumpinglemma posted:

Chorus. Nerat is a murderous, psychotic rear end in a top hat, but at least he's not racist.

That is an odd way to defend a person so erratic they must go through cycles of every possible combination of personality traits on a loop.

So now not racist, in a couple hours who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Out of curiosity TheGreatEvilKing, what kind of weapon and armour are you using for Cleo?