Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Some Goon posted:

I was reading up on DLSS a lil while ago and came across something saying that it still needed to use the actual textures for the displayed resolution, but I don't remember if it was an Nvidia published thing or if it was referring to something other than DLSS 2.0. Can anyone confirm?

DLSS is going to use the textures of the base resolution, which is why when LTT was trying to run Control at 8k-upscaled-from-4k-via-DLSS, it didn't look great because the 4k textures weren't really designed to be viewed at that resolution, even with the upscaling.

Edit: I was wrong about this

It's not so bad with, like, 4k-upscaled-from-1080p-or-1440p.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Oct 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Before I get deep into the weeds trying to replicate this: does anyone with a 3080 FE hear a weird buzzing noise while under load? Almost like a tag or something is stuck in a fan?

I've been getting it on my system and I can't figure out what the source is. It seems to have persisted through my PSU swap, and the only other new thing in here since I started noticing it is the 3080. I'm not ruling the PSU out, but I need to redo the overclock on my CPU before I can make the CPU draw as much power as the GPU.

You can hear it clearly over the fan noise. I'm practically sticking my phone in the enclosure here, but it is clearly audible at 2ft.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG4h1BP3r_k

edit: I should add that I watched the fan RPMs between when this was not happening (sub-200W) and what it was (>200W) and I saw no change in the RPM, ruling out fans spinning up/down.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Warmachine posted:

Before I get deep into the weeds trying to replicate this: does anyone with a 3080 FE hear a weird buzzing noise while under load? Almost like a tag or something is stuck in a fan?

I've been getting it on my system and I can't figure out what the source is. It seems to have persisted through my PSU swap, and the only other new thing in here since I started noticing it is the 3080. I'm not ruling the PSU out, but I need to redo the overclock on my CPU before I can make the CPU draw as much power as the GPU.

You can hear it clearly over the fan noise. I'm practically sticking my phone in the enclosure here, but it is clearly audible at 2ft.

edit: I should add that I watched the fan RPMs between when this was not happening (sub-200W) and what it was (>200W) and I saw no change in the RPM, ruling out fans spinning up/down.

That's coil whine, friend.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Yeah I was about to say that's what it sounds like to me but I'm having a hard time being sure with the video.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

fletcher posted:

(I swear I don't intentionally post cat pictures in this thread...it was the only one I had showing my old setup!)

I legit had to move my AIO rad cause of the cat. So much hair. It’s ok, I gave him a heating pad bed next to the computer.... he still wanted to stand on the keyboard.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Warmachine posted:

I haven't noticed excessive coil whine on my 3080 but my buddy noticed quite a bit in his. He RMA'd it to nvidia and used a video similar to yours to convince support to do so. Of course he was reluctant to temporarily part with his 9/23 3080, it at least seems like are setting some aside for this purpose because his replacement is supposed to be delivered tomorrow I believe.

My 970 had pretty bad coil whine. I can hear it a bit with the 3080 but it's not an excessive amount.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Warmachine posted:

My 3080 FE is pretty much silent without any buzzing until its fans kick in at full load, nothing like the coil whine you'd hear on the Titan V or anything though, but I did identify my power supply as a source of extra noise after I had installed my 3080 FE.

Turns out my system wasn't taxing enough to really put the PSU under pressure enough to kick up its fans into high gear until the 3080 FE was installed, and it only did this largely because the dust filter in front of the cooling fan was blocked with dust. One quick cleaning of the dust filter under the PSU fan helped resolve the sound issue from the PSU.

MadFriarAvelyn fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Oct 9, 2020

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Welp. Just submitted a ticket to Nvidia. We'll see what happens. Somehow I thought coil whine would be higher pitched.

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

My 3080 FE is pretty much silent without any buzzing until its fans kick in at full load, nothing like the coil whine you'd hear on the Titan V or anything though, but I did identify my power supply as a source of extra noise after I had installed my 3080 FE.

Turns out my system wasn't taxing enough to really put the PSU under pressure enough to kick up its fans into high gear until the 3080 FE was installed, and it only did this largely because the dust filter in front of the cooling fan was blocked with dust. One quick cleaning of the dust filter under the PSU fan helped resolve the sound issue from the PSU.

This was actually my initial thought, and why I fast-tracked an SF750 to replace my SF600--the latter was just at the edge of viable running stock settings on everything. The whine persisted though the PSU swap though, which pretty convincingly put that to bed.

I have my old 970 to fall back on in the meantime, but it is kinda disappointing.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

DLSS is going to use the textures of the base resolution, which is why when LTT was trying to run Control at 8k-upscaled-from-4k-via-DLSS, it didn't look great because the 4k textures weren't really designed to be viewed at that resolution, even with the upscaling.

DLSS upscaling is fantastic for something like 1440p -> 4k because you're only increasing the linear dimensions by a factor of 1.5, but you're rendering 37% as many pixels. The neural network does a superb job filling in one new pixel out of three, linearly, while the card has a greatly decreased rendering load.

On the other hand it's obviously going to fail when you try 1440p -> 8k because you have to generate two new pixels for every one you have linearly, and blend that single pixel across a 3x3 matrix. You can't make something from nothing.

I'm still mad that Flight Simulator 2020 doesn't support DLSS because it seems like such a goddamned no-brainer use case. The game runs like crap on most modern systems but the experience benefits greatly from increased resolution. The stuff you're looking at is either a fixed view (the instrument panel) or essentially a fractal phototexture of trees and cities, something that AI is extremely good at scaling up convincingly. Furthermore, the whole world engine is already kind of lumpy and funny looking up close because it's AI-generated in the first place, so some extra DLSS glitches would barely register.

It's such a huge oversight

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

Now that the workday is done I moved over from my work laptop to my RTX-equipped desktop and it's just pure joy to compute at 120hz. Everything is so fluid, especially after using a docked laptop for 8 hours straight.

Also, the game to play in 4K/120hz on an OLED is without a doubt Alien: Isolation. The game has impeccable art direction and looks gorgeous despite not requiring a lot of computing power. The inky blacks really help pull you into the game. If anything, the game is too smooth at 120hz, and it makes the alien seem marginally less scary.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
A lot of times coil whine happens when your card is putting out something stupid like 240fps during a load screen or menu where it can just crank out the frames. You can try using a frame limiter if that mirrors what you are seeing.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
It seemss like the FS2020 situation is a case of the developers making the game over such a long time and they didn't bother to keep up with recent developments, or that they deliberately started from "old" tech altogether - if I'm not mistaken it's still running on DX11, and that also contributes to why it's so heavily single-threaded.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

funkymonks posted:

A lot of times coil whine happens when your card is putting out something stupid like 240fps during a load screen or menu where it can just crank out the frames. You can try using a frame limiter if that mirrors what you are seeing.

It's not. I already have the FPS capped to my monitor refresh rate from the Nvidia control panel. It seems to strictly follow the power consumption of the GPU. Tomorrow night I'll have time to redo the overclock on my 10700k, and I know I can push that to 300W if I try, so if I can replicate it with a wild OC and some Prime95, that'll move suspicion off the video card.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

gradenko_2000 posted:

It seemss like the FS2020 situation is a case of the developers making the game over such a long time and they didn't bother to keep up with recent developments, or that they deliberately started from "old" tech altogether - if I'm not mistaken it's still running on DX11, and that also contributes to why it's so heavily single-threaded.

it’s basically a tech demo where someone put together this neat open world generator that fuses satellite imagery and lidar data and stuff and they were like “lol what can we do with this?.... I know, flight sim!”. It’s about as deliberate a development process as PUBG was, they accidentally into a AAA game.

Pretty sure they were mostly working on this data for drones and self driving cars and stuff and just took their viewer app and put some planes in it. 40fps is perfectly fine for that stuff, but gamers have higher standards.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Oct 9, 2020

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

3080 STRIX cards have officially been sold to customers stateside. Newegg Dropped about 7 of them which sold out in 60 seconds a couple hours ago.

Also:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/402482486093

I can't believe that sold.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

gradenko_2000 posted:

In the first sentence of the time-stamped gdc talk repiv linked they talk about how DLSS isn't for / doesn't upscale textures...

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Kragger99 posted:

I haven't been able to follow the thread in detail the past week, but with the rumor/story about the 20GB 3080 possibly coming out in Dec, would I notice any difference in gaming at 144 Mhz at 1440p between the 10GB and 20GB models?
Edit: I ask this as I'm in a queue for a 10GB model currently, but wondering if I should cancel that, and wait for the 20GB model. Yeah, I know that it's a rumor, and that Dec might actually turn into Mar/Apr.

DrDork posted:

No and no.

For it to be meaningful, you'd have to either be working at 8k res (where the 3080 won't be useful to begin with outside of DLSS, and there you don't need the 8k res assets in the first place), or games would have to simply decide that 95% of the PC install base are simply not going to run well.

Consoles are realistically capping VRAM at 10-11GB for the next chunk of the decade. You'll be fine for at least the next two years.

Most games today use like...6GB, tops.
This

to re-iterate, Death Stranding with all bells and whistles and DLSS ULTRA QUALITY @ 1440P wasa only using like 4.1 GBs. Doom Eternal @ 4K ultra nightmare uses around 6.5. You would only have a concern at 8K. especially not going to be a problem for 1440P for like the next 5+ years, and probably not even for 4K for several years and even then it'd have to be one hell of a poorly optimized game dumping every single uncompressed texture all-in at once.

I would probably not feel comfortable with the 3070, especially not doing any 4K on it if you were to ever upgrade your monitor/tv, but even that's probably fine ram-wise for 1440p but would be cutting it a little too close for comfort for the future, so i went withn the 3080 myself.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Oct 9, 2020

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Kraftwerk posted:

3080 STRIX cards have officially been sold to customers stateside. Newegg Dropped about 7 of them which sold out in 60 seconds a couple hours ago.

Also:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/402482486093

I can't believe that sold.

Auto refresh time. :blastu:

Doing best buy / amazon, anymore I should add?

I'm not doing microcenter those idiots sold me something and then told me they didn't have it when I drove down there hours later.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I should get mine tomorrow or next week based on my position in line at CC... unless:

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

it’s basically a tech demo where someone put together this neat open world generator that fuses satellite imagery and lidar data and stuff and they were like “lol what can we do with this?.... I know, flight sim!”. It’s about as deliberate a development process as PUBG was, they accidentally into a AAA game.

Pretty sure they were mostly working on this data for drones and self driving cars and stuff and just took their viewer app and put some planes in it. 40fps is perfectly fine for that stuff, but gamers have higher standards.

MSFS is the longest running PC flight sim program

There's a lot of 'flight' in this flight sim, I can't believe I have to point this out. They've always been a little janky tech-wise, but it's a niche enthusiast product.

It's pretty and it's on Game Pass so it has a bit of a wider audience this time especially because of people benchmarking it for some reason, but if you're not into aviation, it's not really for you. Your piss-poor understanding of the franchise makes that clear

When HP Reverb G2 launches, oh boy.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah FS2020 is extremely far from "just a tech demo." It's absolutely a full-fledged flight sim, currently buggy and missing features, but what's there is still better than anything else on the market unless your niche is full-fidelity airliners (and they're fixing those). It's pretty clear that they released it to PC in a somewhat unfinished state so they could work out the bugs before the XBox launch, where it will be a first-party flagship title.

It's baffling that they didn't use DLSS though and I sure hope a DX12 update with DLSS built-in is coming. The TAA already is seriously impressive.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah FS2020 is extremely far from "just a tech demo." It's absolutely a full-fledged flight sim, currently buggy and missing features, but what's there is still better than anything else on the market unless your niche is full-fidelity airliners (and they're fixing those). It's pretty clear that they released it to PC in a somewhat unfinished state so they could work out the bugs before the XBox launch, where it will be a first-party flagship title.

It's baffling that they didn't use DLSS though and I sure hope a DX12 update with DLSS built-in is coming. The TAA already is seriously impressive.

i've been absolutely obsessed with playing and i've never been one to play flight sims before but god even in its broken state it's a blast to play

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Kraftwerk posted:

I should get mine tomorrow or next week based on my position in line at CC... unless:

Kevin! :argh:

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

fletcher posted:

I had to replace my Corsair Air 240 cuz the power connectors were against the glass :( It was a great little case

AIO orientation came up with my buddies recently when I thought his AIO mount location looked a little funny. Searching around I came across this Gamers Nexus video about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbGomv195sk

I have a Corsair 400c case and I've had my h100i mounted like this and powered on for pretty much the last 6 years straight, and never had an issue:

(I swear I don't intentionally post cat pictures in this thread...it was the only one I had showing my old setup!)

I've got a 360mm AIO now so the only option for my 400c is on the front with tubes at the top. I ordered a Phanteks P600S the other day to join the top exhaust rad gang, it just seems way more ideal than pushing hot air across the GPU and motherboard. Replaced all my other components recently anyways...might as well try a new case as well. Maybe this AIO would last me another 6 years in the "wrong" orientation, who knows. The cat will probably like the new orientation as well :D

My AIO has to be mounted tubes up because the rad won't fit the other way round - the screw holes don't line up. It's been like this for 3 years before I saw that GN video and I've had no noticeable problems so far, so, eh.

And your cat is demonstrating why a top mount rad is not an option for me.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

dang maybe I should've preordered the strix instead of the TUF

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the Sphyre promise is real

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

ah its not mine. i just have the same case and preordered the TUF cause I was worried about the strix fitting. but look how great it fits!

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

Sphyre posted:

dang maybe I should've preordered the strix instead of the TUF

Is there even airflow in that case? :psyduck:

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Paul MaudDib posted:

You know that an actual Airbus A320 pilot looked at MSFS2020 and called it the most accurate representation of an A320 cockpit he's ever seen? It took him over half an hour to find something that wasn't exactly how he expected it to be from hundred of hours flying the actual planes. He said they obviously put serious effort into the reproduction and obviously spent serious time inside a cockpit.

But yes, accidentally made an easy to knock out flight sim game.

Cancelbot posted:

Can't be any airflow if there's no air because it's just full of components.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

AirRaid posted:

You know that an actual Airbus A320 pilot looked at MSFS2020 and called it the most accurate representation of an A320 cockpit he's ever seen? It took him over half an hour to find something that wasn't exactly how he expected it to be from hundred of hours flying the actual planes. He said they obviously put serious effort into the reproduction and obviously spent serious time inside a cockpit.

I'm waiting to get a real big-boy joystick (and MAYBE an SSD large enough that I can install it in) before I really dig into the game but I'm excited.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
MSFS isn't FAA certified as a flight simulator that you can do your flight hours on, but apart from that it's a very good simulator. Even if you buy X-Plane Pro, which is certified, you also need certified hardware to go with it, and it's a niche market that perhaps Microsoft doesn't want to enter due to the costs and time consuming certification procedures.
https://www.x-plane.com/pro/certified/:

quote:

The certified software is available for $500 to $1,000 per copy from PFC and Fidelity and the hardware runs from $5,000 to $500,000. The retail version of X-Plane purchased at X-Plane.com is not certified for flight training right out of the box, since certification requires a software and hardware combination.

alphabettitouretti posted:

My AIO has to be mounted tubes up because the rad won't fit the other way round - the screw holes don't line up. It's been like this for 3 years before I saw that GN video and I've had no noticeable problems so far, so, eh.
Even GN says that it's mainly a sub-optimal install, a potential noise and performance issue for some (leading to unnecessary RMAs) and probably won't cause anything catastrophic. It's the people who put the CPU above the AIO radiator who have the real bad time.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

What clockspeed does everyone's 2070S idle at?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Sininu posted:

What clockspeed does everyone's 2070S idle at?

1230mhz on mine, idling is still busted with multiple monitors

Power consumption is low enough that the fans don't spin up at least

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Shipon posted:

i've been absolutely obsessed with playing and i've never been one to play flight sims before but god even in its broken state it's a blast to play

I used to fly real airplanes as a hobbyist (65hrs in a 152 but no PPL to show for it, life got in the way) and when I loaded it up and set it up to take off from my dinky little old field, I was 100% sold within minutes. They've even got the tiny untowered fields I used to practice touch & gos at. Without a moving map flying VFR IRL you get up to some tricks like identifying POIs and following highways and I was surprised at how much of the landscape I was able to recognize by sight. It's nothing like flying the real thing, mostly because the real thing shakes and can break and the humans involved aren't robots, but it's insane how much of that "feeling" of "being there" it replicates. Now the little Cessna isn't exactly difficult to model so I can't speak to accuracy flying bigger and faster things, but I've got a Logi / Saitek X52 Pro on the way just so I can take that little Cessna to places I've never gotten to go. This is going to be the thing that makes me take the plunge into VR as well (although SW Squadrons looks good too). poo poo it just might put me back in the real cockpit as well.

My buddy used to play Flight Sim for hours and hours when he was doing his multi-engine and then his commercial, and I *get it* now.

My 3080 pulls 40-50fps at 1440p with Alex Battaglia's optimized settings with the GPU load sitting around 50-60% ... I mean sure I hope they optimize it, but it's not a twitch game, I never even felt the framerate for a second.

It's pretty tough to overstate how exciting this technology is.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

repiv posted:

1230mhz on mine, idling is still busted with multiple monitors

Power consumption is low enough that the fans don't spin up at least

Figured out why mine was idling at 40 degrees and 1600mhz right after I asked... Now it's back to 30 degrees and 300mhz.
I had globally set the power management to prefer max performance as an easy fix to 2D games running poorly. Guess I'll keep on changing it individually per each game that needs it.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Vir posted:

MSFS isn't FAA certified as a flight simulator that you can do your flight hours on, but apart from that it's a very good simulator.

Are there people that think it is? 🤦‍♂️

Sim time isn't something you just stumble upon ... A school for commercial pilots might have one / have time on one, airlines will have them / have access to them, but aviation + certification = $$$$$$$$$$. This is just a program running on your home computer!

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

fletcher posted:

I had to replace my Corsair Air 240 cuz the power connectors were against the glass :( It was a great little case

AIO orientation came up with my buddies recently when I thought his AIO mount location looked a little funny. Searching around I came across this Gamers Nexus video about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbGomv195sk

I have a Corsair 400c case and I've had my h100i mounted like this and powered on for pretty much the last 6 years straight, and never had an issue:

I've got a 360mm AIO now so the only option for my 400c is on the front with tubes at the top. I ordered a Phanteks P600S the other day to join the top exhaust rad gang, it just seems way more ideal than pushing hot air across the GPU and motherboard. Replaced all my other components recently anyways...might as well try a new case as well. Maybe this AIO would last me another 6 years in the "wrong" orientation, who knows. The cat will probably like the new orientation as well :D

Its Ironic, I watched that video about 5 days ago, and that's what made me realise the issue when a forum post mentioned someone's fan spinning at 4000 RPM with no coolant. I put 2 and 2 together and figured out that it was an air bubble and tilted my system and 4 or so hours of pain solved in 10 seconds.

I am still angry at myself for not figuring it out much sooner.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

Are air bubbles common in AIOs? It's the next thing I want after the GPU, I guess they can't be 100% filled and it's like a spirit level bubble that exists in the system itself. My PC is 80% heatsink with a Black Rock 4 and the 2080 Super, not that it will improve with a huge radiator.

I can't decide which I hate more - transferring a PC to a new case virtually wholesale, or CPU cooler removal/cleaning/installation.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Cancelbot posted:

A shitload actually if that's an nr200 which is what it looks like. Top, bottom, and sides are all vented with 120mm mounts top and bottom. It's very good at cooling for a (barely) sff case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Cancelbot posted:

Are air bubbles common in AIOs? It's the next thing I want after the GPU, I guess they can't be 100% filled and it's like a spirit level bubble that exists in the system itself. My PC is 80% heatsink with a Black Rock 4 and the 2080 Super, not that it will improve with a huge radiator.

I can't decide which I hate more - transferring a PC to a new case virtually wholesale, or CPU cooler removal/cleaning/installation.

I have used two AIOs in the past, one of them had an air bubble that I would hear go through the pump about every minute or so. The other one had air in it (could hear it when I shook the radiator) but not enough to ever get drawn into the pump. Both were oriented properly with the radiator above the pump so it was never an issue other than the annoying sound.