Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's too many things. The x and the y compete for attention.

Title your first book x of y, and your second book x of z instead.

http://www.hipsterbusiness.name/#5XU7ueVh

has been that way for a decade and change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Slo-Tek posted:

http://www.hipsterbusiness.name/#5XU7ueVh

has been that way for a decade and change.

i would really like to read this book

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Sooo I really enjoyed Old Man's War and Forever War, am a huge warhams 40k grog and couldn't get into Expanse or Culture. What should I read, new thread?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Tias posted:

Sooo I really enjoyed Old Man's War and Forever War, am a huge warhams 40k grog and couldn't get into Expanse or Culture. What should I read, new thread?

You may enjoy Walter Jon Williams' series "Dread Empire's Fall".

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Tias posted:

The Lost Fleet series might be up your alley. Diminishing returns on the sequel series but I still love them. Great fleet battles and no chud politics.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

It's too many things. The x and the y compete for attention.

Title your first book x of y, and your second book x of z instead.

I think the route I’d most like authors to take is starting with the x of y and following it up with the y of z.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Haven't been reading much lately, but I finally got around to reading Glen Cook's Darkwar series this week and found it entertaining. Cat-person becomes a evil sorceress and goes to space.

Last month I read Harrow the Ninth and The Monster Baru Cormorant. Enjoyed them quite a lot.

Otherwise I'm mostly stalled out on other stuff, got 50 pages into the second Malazan book and haven't touched it again, tried reading more of Simon R. Green's Deathstalker series and Chris Bunch's Sten series but wasn't feeling it, same for more Patrick O'Brian, feels like looking for work and all the other poo poo going on just saps my will to live as much as my old job. loving ridiculous, I've barely watched any anime since I finished college and now I can't even finish some crummy pulp novels.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Tias posted:

Scalzi's written a bunch of sequels to Old Man's War if you haven't checked them out yet. You might also enjoy his "Collapsing Empire" trilogy.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Tias posted:

You've read Heinlein, right? Both those books are just "what if Heinlein, but slightly left wing?"

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

You've read Heinlein, right? Both those books are just "what if Heinlein, but slightly left wing?"

Why do people suggest Heinlein in 2020?

Ah yes read this book about a perfect, rich, hyperintelligent, boy with superpowers bc he lived on mars and a harem-and-threesomes psychologist who is always right and definitely not an author insert. This is what the people want.

Also there’s a Muslim guy named Dr. Stinky Mahmoud!

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:
People suggest a lot of bad books in this thread. We're on the same page as people discussing the Cradle books.

Disliking a book's politics is fair enough, but it shouldn't be a mystery why some people can still enjoy reading a book whose politics they don't agree with. I don't see much of a difference between disliking a book's politics and disliking a book's prose. But when people poo poo-talk a book's prose, someone comes along to say "just let people enjoy things!" and it eventually settles down. When someone suggests a book whose politics few on this forum (probably) agree with, someone always arrives to say "How could you even suggest such a thing?" They suggested Heinlein because his books seemed appropriate to the request.

I find the politics of most of Heinlein's books repellent, but if we restrict ourselves to only reading politically pure novels, that's a short reading list. Pretty much every novel with a well-to-do protagonist relies on the exploitation of the proletariat, for example.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Enjoying a book that's simple and enjoying a book that was written by a shithead seem like pretty different things to me man

Not saying it's always bad or wrong to do the latter, but I don't really think they're equivalent

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
No you misunderstand.

Heinlein is a worse writer than Wight in every way, and I don’t understand how people suggest him because of that. Politics aside, he’s just not any good. And that’s even when comparing him to a guy like Will Wight who’s writing picture-less manga.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Ooh, it's late in the year for the annual Heinlein argument.

There's still Heinlein worth reading. The juveniles are all pretty solid reads. Lots of good short stories. It's worth picking up Starship Troopers. I'd say the Moon is a Harsh Mistress is too. Methuselah's Children is to, you just have not read anything else involving Lazarus Long.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Lots of very good books were written by shitheads, so enjoying them seems perfectly reasonable. If you've got a personal policy not to read anything by a bad person that's fine, but getting performatively offended that someone could recommend Heinlein is extremely tedious.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/nkjemisin/status/1314284483131179008?s=20

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

Tias posted:

Read the Murderbot books

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Captain Monkey posted:

Why do people suggest Heinlein in 2020?

Ah yes read this book about a perfect, rich, hyperintelligent, boy with superpowers bc he lived on mars and a harem-and-threesomes psychologist who is always right and definitely not an author insert. This is what the people want.

Also there’s a Muslim guy named Dr. Stinky Mahmoud!

If you like John Scalzi and Joe Haldeman, both of them are basically writing Heinlein except without (as much) cringe, and he also said he was a WH40k fan, so he's probably fine with the cringe stuff as far as that goes.

That said Heinlein is pretty cringey so it's a valid point to bring that up, sure.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Patrick Spens posted:

Lots of very good books were written by shitheads, so enjoying them seems perfectly reasonable. If you've got a personal policy not to read anything by a bad person that's fine, but getting performatively offended that someone could recommend Heinlein is extremely tedious.

You didn’t read a single word I wrote and it shows.

It’s ok to like Heinlein, I just think there are way better authors out there, and I never got why he became famous. The only even tolerable book, to me, was Starship Troopers. And even that was just ok.

That said Heinlein is pretty cringey so it's a valid point to bring that up, sure.

Yeah it’s just cringey writing. It’s fine to like but ‘like Heinlein without the bad parts’ is a very different thing than Heinlein’s harem manga writing style.

I honestly don’t super know his politics which makes the ‘omg u jus dont like conservatives (or whatever)’ really silly. Dude just was not a great writer imo.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Quantum Thief (Jean le Flambeur #1) by Hannu Rajaniemi - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ULPVN6/

Pretty rare sale. Grab if interested.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Captain Monkey posted:

You didn’t read a single word I wrote and it shows.

I was replying to Cicero, not you.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
That makes even less sense? Unless I misunderstood your meaning.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

pradmer posted:

The Quantum Thief (Jean le Flambeur #1) by Hannu Rajaniemi - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ULPVN6/

Pretty rare sale. Grab if interested.

I enjoyed this book (and the series as a whole, though I felt each book was progressively weaker). Has anyone read his Summerland book? Is it any good?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Patrick Spens posted:

I was replying to Cicero, not you.

Cicero wasn’t—- never mind. I don’t think you’re posting in good faith after realizing you pulled a ‘Liberal Virtue Signaling!!’ Post as your first entry into the conversation.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Why are any of you continuing this?

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Xenix posted:

I enjoyed this book (and the series as a whole, though I felt each book was progressively weaker). Has anyone read his Summerland book? Is it any good?

Summerland was quite good, basically a le carre Cold War spy thriller with talking to dead people

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
The new Naomi Novik book is great! It’s about kids at a deadly magical school, and I finished it the first day I got it. It manages to actually feel surprisingly uplifting/not at all depressing to read despite actually having a pretty dark setting. Kind of the feeling that even though a lot of bad things happen and the situation is basically bad, people are still basically good.

Basically, I’d recommend reading it if any part of it seems at all up your alley or at least trying the sample chapter. It’s maybe my favorite of her books so far.

E: Wikipedia article on the schools from folklore that the series title, Scholomancy, comes from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scholomance?wprov=sfti1 (book is not at all 1-to-1 that, but you can see where some of the inspiration comes from)

tildes fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Oct 9, 2020

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I'm like 600 pages in to To Sleep in a Sea of Stars, which is to say, less than 2/3rds

It's not terrible. It desperately wants to be Star Wars or Guardians of the Galaxy.

The main character joins a ship that has a le epic pet pig for some reason. She has a bunch of really inorganic personal conversations to learn her shipmates' backgrounds.

I think that's a pretty good indicator of the maturity level of the book, pg-13 as hell. Also, I don't know that the author has ever met a woman.

AARD VARKMAN fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Oct 9, 2020

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
It was written by the Eragon kid, so that makes a lot of sense.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I've been thinking about Renraku Arcology lately, and other similar unfortunate incidents like that mess on Citadel Station. I read a (bad, IIRC) novel once where some folk were having a look around a brand new fully-automated AI skyscraper before its official opening, the kid installed Doom on it, and it turned evil and tried to kill all humans.

Are there any good books out there covering similar ground? AI gone horribly wrong (possibly due to executive greed and capitalism) in an arcology or other large, sealed environment, but not like a regular ship or space ship or something unless it's super huge. HAL doesn't quite count.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

tildes posted:

The new Naomi Novik book is great! It’s about kids at a deadly magical school, and I finished it the first day I got it. It manages to actually feel surprisingly uplifting/not at all depressing to read despite actually having a pretty dark setting. Kind of the feeling that even though a lot of bad things happen and the situation is basically bad, people are still basically good.

Basically, I’d recommend reading it if any part of it seems at all up your alley or at least trying the sample chapter. It’s maybe my favorite of her books so far.

E: Wikipedia article on the schools from folklore that the series title, Scholomancy, comes from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scholomance?wprov=sfti1 (book is not at all 1-to-1 that, but you can see where some of the inspiration comes from)

I think Uprooted is still my fave, but it was indeed an excellent novel that I really enjoyed.

TheAardvark posted:

I'm like 600 pages in to To Sleep in a Sea of Stars, which is to say, less than 2/3rds

It's not terrible. It desperately wants to be Star Wars or Guardians of the Galaxy.

The main character joins a ship that has a le epic pet pig for some reason. She has a bunch of really inorganic personal conversations to learn her shipmates' backgrounds.

I think that's a pretty good indicator of the maturity level of the book, pg-13 as hell. Also, I don't know that the author has ever met a woman.

Yeah, I finished it last week. Doesn't get any better. Extremely predictable politics from a rich kid whose parents set him up as a teen.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

TheAardvark posted:

Apparently the dude just got engaged, even :shrug:

https://twitter.com/paolini/status/1275569217321029634

'And yes, there were capes involved. And a drinking horn. And some Skyrim music. And a modified Klingon ceremony.' :shobon:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Man that ring is uggo. And I say this as someone with an unconventional wedding ring.

Props for the "modified Klingon ceremony" though. I assume it doesn't mean his groomsmen attacked him and his wife with big sticks after they were pronounced man and wife.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMBylNJQEbg

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
ready

player

two

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Jade City (Green Bone Saga #1) by Fonda Lee - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XRCBRX8/

Changing Planes by Ursula K Le Guin - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IWTRB4E/

The Sheep Look Up by John Brunner - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J5X5LVQ/

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

feedmegin posted:

Apparently the dude just got engaged, even :shrug:

https://twitter.com/paolini/status/1275569217321029634

'And yes, there were capes involved. And a drinking horn. And some Skyrim music. And a modified Klingon ceremony.' :shobon:

The only man having a good 2020.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

ready

player

two

It's just 'Ready Player One' with the One crossed out and replaced with a Two

quote:

An unexpected quest. Two worlds at stake. Are you ready?

Days after OASIS founder James Halliday’s contest, Wade Watts makes a discovery that changes everything. Hidden within Halliday’s vaults, waiting for his heir to find, lies a technological advancement that will once again change the world and make the OASIS more wondrous — and addictive — then even Wade dreamed possible. With it comes a new riddle and a new quest, a last Easter egg from Holiday, hinting at a mysterious prize, and an unexpected, impossibly powerful, new and dangerous rival awaits, one who will kill millions to get what he wants. Wade’s life and the future of the OASIS are again at stake, but this time, the fate of humanity also hangs in the balance.

Cline's response to Armada getting a meh response being to just rewrite book one is pretty unsurprising.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I've been thinking about Renraku Arcology lately, and other similar unfortunate incidents like that mess on Citadel Station. I read a (bad, IIRC) novel once where some folk were having a look around a brand new fully-automated AI skyscraper before its official opening, the kid installed Doom on it, and it turned evil and tried to kill all humans.

Are there any good books out there covering similar ground? AI gone horribly wrong (possibly due to executive greed and capitalism) in an arcology or other large, sealed environment, but not like a regular ship or space ship or something unless it's super huge. HAL doesn't quite count.

Sarah Zettel's Fool's War has a bunch of this, and some other interesting stuff as well. The setting is a tramp freighter that carries information, not goods. It's owned in a timeshare arrangement by a shady trader dude and a Muslim woman. We follow her crew on a legit transfer, but something might have survived reformatting the ship's storage arrays after the shady dude's last run. The worst case scenario is it's a rogue AI; these occur naturally and are extinction-level events for some of the colonies they happen to - the birth of an AI looks like serious system glitches to the human operators, and their attempts to stabilize critical infrastructure look like murder to the nascent AI. Skynet doesn't have to nuke you if it controls the air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

tildes posted:

It really strongly reminded me of the earlier portions of Gideon the Ninth. I picked it up a couple of hours ago on the basis of this recommendation and I'll be keeping an eye out for the sequel.