Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Caesarian Sectarian posted:

The Boys is crushing in viewership, there is no way the show doesn’t come back.

Yeah they had a 89 %increase for people watched vs season 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Imagining maeve jogging down the highway towards homelander ranch as cars pass her by

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Best case scenario, Stormfront slowly recovers with her super healing.

Worst, she’s a charred amputee for the rest of her long, long life.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Loved the finale. Most people's complaints (though most people seem to agree that it was great) don't really bother me, as I forgive them as plot contrivances. Maeve got there so fast so we could get the 3 supes beating the poo poo out of the Nazi. I'll allow it. Becca survived long enough to give a speech because that's how movies do that poo poo. I'll allow it. Ryan was sent off with the CIA? Yeah, I mean, that's pretty hosed up, and Ryan is probably hosed, but for the plot, everyone's ideas for what season 3 could be like with Butcher being the stand in dad for Ryan all sounded pretty bad. Having Butcher raise Ryan would have really handcuffed them for the plots for season 3, so it's probably the biggest problem that I'm willing to let go, but I'm willing to let it go for future plot's sake. I also doubt we've seen the last of Ryan.

Strangely, the only lingering problem I have is a pretty minor one, but one that is still bothering me. So I guess A-Train's heart problem is gone? Wasn't that the whole reason he was kicked out of The Seven? His heart was causing problems so he couldn't keep up, and wasn't able to be the fastest speedster anymore? He couldn't even run down that sewer for a few seconds without seeming to almost have a heart attack? Now he's able to run all around New York City in an instant with no problem, and when they ask about his heart, they brush it off with a quick, "My heart is just fine, come closer and I'll show you." And then just never mention it again. And then he's back in The Seven. So...I guess we're done with his big struggle just like that?

Like I said, minor, but seems weird to just kind of shrug that off mostly off screen and then just move on.

Though, mostly worth it for, "What's up, shitbirds?" which may have been my favorite moment of the episode.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Automatic Slim posted:

Best case scenario, Stormfront slowly recovers with her super healing.

Worst, she’s a charred amputee for the rest of her long, long life.

And you know what the Nazis thought of the severely disabled.

I'd say she looks ready to be put into her Vader suit but I think she'd make a better Stormtrooper:dadjoke:

Also I think it'd be nice for Mallory to look after Ryan, she needs something to distract from the loving birds and the memories of her grandkids

HppyCmpr
May 8, 2011
One thing I didn't really get, which I guess will be explained next season, is how Victoria's powers worked. Her eyes seemed to cloud over like she was having an out of body experience and her face seemed deadpan until her eyes changed and she returned to her body.

I know some people said that she looked at all the people that exploded during the meeting but did her eyes do something similar? I haven't gone back myself to look.

thrawn527 posted:

Strangely, the only lingering problem I have is a pretty minor one, but one that is still bothering me. So I guess A-Train's heart problem is gone? Wasn't that the whole reason he was kicked out of The Seven? His heart was causing problems so he couldn't keep up, and wasn't able to be the fastest speedster anymore? He couldn't even run down that sewer for a few seconds without seeming to almost have a heart attack? Now he's able to run all around New York City in an instant with no problem, and when they ask about his heart, they brush it off with a quick, "My heart is just fine, come closer and I'll show you." And then just never mention it again. And then he's back in The Seven. So...I guess we're done with his big struggle just like that?

Like I said, minor, but seems weird to just kind of shrug that off mostly off screen and then just move on.

Yeah this was a little odd, I sort of read it as if he was mainly bluffing about his health even if he had recovered a little; assuming he's not mainlining compound V anymore. That doesn't really explain how he was able to run all over the city or go through all those files though. I guess since he got his position back in the Seven via under the table dealings that they probably wouldn't be getting him to do a lot of work or even make him compete for the spot if someone faster showed up.

HppyCmpr fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Oct 9, 2020

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm still wondering if the church space spores are real and in the fresca (or spores just really enjoy a crisp, refreshing beverage)

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

BurritoJustice posted:

And you know what the Nazis thought of the severely disabled.

I'd say she looks ready to be put into her Vader suit but I think she'd make a better Stormtrooper:dadjoke:

Also I think it'd be nice for Mallory to look after Ryan, she needs something to distract from the loving birds and the memories of her grandkids

Putting her in a vader costume and having Homelander kill her by chucking her into a volcano to save is son, who has come to save Homelander, from her electrical bursts would be pretty funny

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Oh, forgot to mention this and I'm sure others have too: huge missed opportunity with the url at the beginning.

Oh and Annie should have been able to absorb Stormfront's electricity. I was pretty mad about that. We all called it and they threw it away to make the fight more "interesting". Shameful.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Man, what a great episode.

I'm so glad they sewed up a bunch of stuff and didn't leave some giant cliffhanger.

I do wonder if:

Ryan is going to be stronger than homelander? He dismembered SF with one blast

if SF survived and is healing?

Terrifying reveal about the head exploder psycho.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
The lightning is weird in that it just... moves things around?? Otherwise the 3 nonsoups seem pretty okay for getting hit by 1.21 jiggawatts

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I just binged through this season and Jesus Christ Billy is the most unlikeable character ever. It’s like they went out of their way to write him as unlikeable and then the actor rewrote the script to make him an even bigger rear end in a top hat in a similar vein to how the supes wanted to rewrite their characters for the movie.

It’s like everything that goes wrong is 100% his fault because he’s a loving rear end in a top hat who won’t talk to anyone or stick to any plans or even spends 2 seconds to think “what about the others.” Even for all he supposedly cares about his (ex?)wife it’s like he didn’t give two shits about her and what she wanted when he agreed to kidnap her kid as long as he got what he wanted cause that’s the only thing that matters to him. gently caress Billy.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Bedshaped posted:

The lightning is weird in that it just... moves things around?? Otherwise the 3 nonsoups seem pretty okay for getting hit by 1.21 jiggawatts

Yeah they should have been hurt way worse. Her intent was to kill in that scene. I know you can't just have her party wipe The Boys in 5 seconds but they could've been hurt more than that. It would give us some time between seasons while they heal up.

Oh and another thing: MM's wife said she never wanted to see him again. Not sure why she allowed him to come visit the daughter after the danger MM put them in.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm fine with darth stormfront as long as they do the stuff they did in the wookiepedia article about making the suit really bad because of budget concerns and just making it shiny with woodoo hide to impress Gus Fring when he goes to visit stormy at the Stan Vought Medical Center for Shattered Soups

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Oh yeah why didn't MM bring the dollhouse to her daughter at the end, was the dollhouse just for MM?

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018
Loved the ending in general except for Ryan's ultimate fate.

Initially I thought everything ended too neatly, especially with The Seven reformed at close to their initial composition. But it seems to me like a deliberate reference to how that sort of stupid stuff happens in comic books all the time - heroes betray the team, a new hero joins, new hero is revealed as a supervillain, teams reform. That's basically one of the MCU's major plots. The showrunners also seem to have realized what an asset Starr is, because the scenes focusing on him cracking up from the pressure were terrifying.

Regarding A-Train: I thought his heart was weak because of taking V, though I may not remember that plot point correctly. He was taking the V to go faster but it was hurting him physically. If he got clean maybe that went away.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

Regarding A-Train: I thought his heart was weak because of taking V, though I may not remember that plot point correctly. He was taking the V to go faster but it was hurting him physically. If he got clean maybe that went away.

yeah, kind of my feeling too, the church made him go clean and actually got him to do some unfettered physical therapy

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Back in September Amazon released some smart cards on the supes and their powers. It specifically says that SF can regenerate parts of her body. Not sure if they are referencing her skin healing ability (from HL lasering her chest), or actually regrowing her hands/feet. I'm not sure she'd make a good badguy anymore (the head exploder is probably going to take that role), but we'll see what they do with it in season 3.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

moist turtleneck posted:

yeah, kind of my feeling too, the church made him go clean and actually got him to do some unfettered physical therapy

Oh maybe the Church made him clean and that's why? The compound V is definitely why his heart got all hosed up initially, but I thought the damage was still there, because I assumed he's been off of it since he woke up this season, and he was still hosed up when speeding...until this episode.

I hadn't considered that the Church might have actually done something legit good for someone and gotten him clean and healed up. Huh. Alright, good enough for me! Thanks!

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I mean he could very much be lying as well since his main focus is to stay on the 7, and it could be just that the coma helped him go clean and let his heart repair itself (until he catches supe covid next season)

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

He needed to be jacked on V non-stop to be the fastest in the world still. His heart was fine before V be was just losing speed to younger, faster speedsters like Shockwave. They even say that his career was four years longer than Mr Marathon, so the fastest stays in philosophy predates Reggie himself. Shockwave gets popped, and their speedster place opens up. Alistair said that Vought needed a redemption arc, something family friendly, compassionate. So they were probably lax on needing to be the fastest for now.

Dudes heart was getting better in S1 when he was withdrawing off V with his bro, it makes sense for it to get better on a diet of Fresca and Scientology

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I wonder if Ryan flew into the air when he did his light show so that he could have the high ground

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

spacetoaster posted:

I do wonder if:

Ryan is going to be stronger than homelander? He dismembered SF with one blast

I just assumed he has zero control over it, so it was just pure unfiltered energy bursting in a wide arc out of his eyes like Cyclops from the X-Men, which disintegrated Stormfront's limbs and sent enough shrapnel flying that a piece nicked Becca and caused her to bleed out

In Homelander's case, he's got complete control of his laser eyes and can fully direct and filter it down to thin rays, and even then he wiped out that innocent guy behind the "supervillain" he killed in that video, and in his imagination it was like a single sweep of his laser eyes that wiped out half the crowd, and I got the distinct impression he was basing that fantasy on knowing exactly how many people he can kill and how fast with just his eyes.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I liked the payoff with homelander saying to Ryan "think of someone you hate" to activate his laser eyes and he couldn't think of anyone.

Well he got someone to fuckin hate

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZ6nF6JKtRc

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The redemption arc was specifically for deep, a-train didn't have any public issues needing to be redeemed. A-train got back in to be the token black guy to show everyone that vought was definitely not racist in light of stormfront.

If everything was about to get calm and back to status quo he'd probably end up getting replaced again in a year after everything blows over.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

BurritoJustice posted:

He needed to be jacked on V non-stop to be the fastest in the world still. His heart was fine before V be was just losing speed to younger, faster speedsters like Shockwave. They even say that his career was four years longer than Mr Marathon, so the fastest stays in philosophy predates Reggie himself. Shockwave gets popped, and their speedster place opens up. Alistair said that Vought needed a redemption arc, something family friendly, compassionate. So they were probably lax on needing to be the fastest for now.

Dudes heart was getting better in S1 when he was withdrawing off V with his bro, it makes sense for it to get better on a diet of Fresca and Scientology

Yeah, I more just meant that, before this episode, the last time I remember seeing him speed around was in the sewer earlier this season, where he was clearly still having some major heart issues. Then we finally see him speed around again this episode and it's like he never had any problems at all. But I'm willing to accept that he received some rehab and treatment with a dash of clean living in the Church.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Is the Fresca a supe thing? Like is Goran a super and his power is controlling people through Fresca? Are they just loving with us? Edgar deliberately passing on the Fresca seems like its something...

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

Is the Fresca a supe thing? Like is Goran a super and his power is controlling people through Fresca?

I really don't think so. The showrunners have said they just thought it would be a funny thing for them to keep offering people. And I think if they were going to make it a supe thing, they would have done it before, well...you know.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I have never heard of Fresca before in my life. Is it a regional thing? Is it Bezo’s favorite drink or something?

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

I have never heard of Fresca before in my life. Is it a regional thing? Is it Bezo’s favorite drink or something?

Fresca is a pretty popular and well known soda. There are a lot of varieties in Europe too! You should visit the Coca Cola factory tour and try them all.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Boris Galerkin posted:

It sucks. You're fine.

HppyCmpr
May 8, 2011
I've also never heard of Fresca but I'm all the way at the bottom of the world.

One more thought since other Goons raised some points about it.

Regarding Ryan's ending as well, I sort of assumed Butcher left him in the care of Mallory more than the CIA itself since she lost her grandchildren and she seemed to generally care about Butcher and his wife. Which arguably is much better than staying with Butcher or going into some kind of orphanage.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I do this thing that has driven people nuts for years because of that one tree bro peppi cola tweet

where I take a big swig of fresca, do a big ahhhh, and then say frekka

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Fresca is like bad Sprite.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

HppyCmpr posted:

One more thought

Regarding Ryan's ending as well, I sort of assumed Butcher left him in the care of Mallory more than the CIA itself since she lost her grandchildren and she seemed to generally care about Butcher and his wife. Which arguably is much better than staying with Butcher or going into some kind of orphanage.

I think Butcher both genuinely doesn't care THAT much for the kid - and definitely doesn't want to raise him - and recognizes he'd be an asset for the CIA

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Is the Fresca a supe thing? Like is Goran a super and his power is controlling people through Fresca? Are they just loving with us? Edgar deliberately passing on the Fresca seems like its something...

I just assumed it was Edgar making a small power move.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Boris Galerkin posted:

It's a diet grapefruit soda that's been around since the 60s.

I rather enjoy it

HppyCmpr
May 8, 2011

I think Butcher both genuinely doesn't care THAT much for the kid - and definitely doesn't want to raise him - and recognizes he'd be an asset for the CIA

Yeah that's true, probably the more accurate take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Really good finale, though it felt like a bit of it was slightly rushed, almost as if there could've been an extra episode in there for tying things up. This episode could've been the build-up and subsequent confrontation with Stormfront and then there would be another one that wraps up everything that's happened, like Ryan/Butcher's relationship, Becca's death, the Boys settling back down, The Seven getting reshuffled, etc.

Anyway, I'm glad none of the prevalent theories about the headpopping incident were right. Victoria makes more sense, a ruthless career-driven government official who appears nice and just on the outside but will stop at nothing to pursue power. The chaos she created at the hearing was the perfect catalyst to seize more power without anyone suspecting her. Props to the show writers for placing so many red herrings, when it was staring people in the face (literally).

In her meeting with the Secretary of Defense alongside Mallory at the beginning, she makes it clear to him that she believes the incident was a coup by Vought and that she's against Compound V's distribution. The latter is probably true... because ideally she wouldn't want anyone to have powers except her.

While we won't know much about her until next season, clearly she's done a good job of hiding her abilities so far; we don't know if she was born this way and has managed to stay under the radar or if she came into contact with Compound V in some other way. Her use her lethal powers might catch up with her in the end, though, if she keeps using them to remove her enemies - but the foil/propaganda of "evil supervillains" can last her a good long while, which is exactly why it's such a smart move for her to eliminate her "opposition" in Congress and establish absolute control with her new Office of Supe Affairs.

If she's working with Vought, that means they're able to go back to their old ways and the corporation behind Supes literally controls the office that's supposed to maintain oversight over them. I suspect Victoria might have her own agenda, however.

And now Hughie and possibly Butcher (he didn't explicitly say no to Mallory's offer) are both gonna be working for her, not knowing what she is.

I'm really liking this setup for the next season.