Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

obi_ant posted:

I used an online calculator to see how much capital gains tax I need to pay if I sold my account. It looks like if the account is less than a year old I have to pay more than an account that more than a year old. Any reasoning behind that? It’s a significant difference.

Yeah, if you hold for less than one year then it's short term capital gain, which is a lot more. In that case, I guess it'll depend on whether you think it's worth it to wait for a year after your buy date to sell or just eat the higher tax now and sell. If it's a fair amount, then waiting's not a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Oscar Wild posted:

Lol did he ever sell his bitcoin? Honestly thats not bad if a little late. Rooting for Zaurg is like rooting for the Jets, constant disappointment but there's always a plan in place.

Do it Zaurg! I'm rooting for you!

I think it's good for lurkers in the thread to see they have a choice between saving and investing early, or being in their 40's and scribbling furiously on a plan where if everything goes absolutely perfectly they can retire at 72 into reasonable poverty.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Alchenar posted:

I think it's good for lurkers in the thread to see they have a choice between saving and investing early, or being in their 40's and scribbling furiously on a plan where if everything goes absolutely perfectly they can retire at 72 into reasonable poverty.

Agreed.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

Alchenar posted:

Boomers.txt

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004

Oscar Wild posted:

Lol did he ever sell his bitcoin? Honestly thats not bad if a little late. Rooting for Zaurg is like rooting for the Jets, constant disappointment but there's always a plan in place.

Do it Zaurg! I'm rooting for you!

Thanks. Yeah still behind, only about 1 year salary saved in retirement accounts now when I should have ~3. Catching up the best I can saving about 32%. The Jets ugh.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

spf3million posted:

I haven't been able to link my Ally account after several tries. Waiting on my second response from their IT help.

HMBradley Support posted:

Thanks for following up. Sorry for the inconvenience.

I can see that the connection was successful but our account aggregator is not transmitting the data. I have tried disconnecting it again, feel free to re attempt the connection.

If it doesn't work then unfortunately we are unable to link with that external account. Keep in mind you can always initiate transfers from your external bank directly using your HMBradley account and routing number.

Hope this helps. If you have further questions please let us know.

Marcus
HMBradley Support
I initiated the account link from the Ally side, going to take 2-3 business days. Fortunately HMBradley has a voided check function which Ally requires to link new accounts.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

spf3million posted:

I initiated the account link from the Ally side, going to take 2-3 business days. Fortunately HMBradley has a voided check function which Ally requires to link new accounts.

I linked mine in Ally on Thursday with the 2 small deposits. They showed up on Friday. Account was linked in Ally on Friday afternoon and then I submitted a small transfer over to test it.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You're doing well overall. It's probably a good idea to think about what financial independence actually means to you. One of the big questions is always buying a house. If you plan to buy a house, how you manage your money will likely change significantly.
Yeah, I feel like I'm in a good spot financially as well. I'll credit my mom teaching basic financial literacy early--my first savings account I was ~4 :v:--since she worked in banks (as a teller that worked her way up, not a "banker" type) and taught of the people who acted wealthy and were deeply in debt vs. people who made responsible financial choices.

Hmmm. Seems like a big, open-ended question closely correlated life goals/plans I also haven't grappled with concrete answers to. :gonk:

Don't have any plans to buy a house. I think it was from reading material of the thread OP leading me to advice on how a home is a terrible investment vehicle--so while single with no children the only vague draw is that I could probably get a decent house/condo for less than I spend on rent, but seems more than offset by the negatives of property ownership in my mind. But, a line I love from John Lennon is "life is what happens while you're busy making other plans" so maybe finding a significant other could change that calculation since I'm pretty on the fence about have kids and settle down or travel the world and have fun--either seems rewarding in different ways.

Anyway, I feel like in the absence of clear monetary goals I am convincing myself in favor of what I was thinking of doing anyway. ~16% of my income going to tax-advantaged accounts seems reasonable. And, my high interest saving dropping to 0.6% (maybe have to look into the HMBradley thing though) makes me want to diversify my savings of whatever is leftover each month. So fueling inclination to open a non-tax-advantaged investment account to have accessible but earning savings with some risk and I can always reallocate later if my calculations change which I can't do funneling more into tax-advantaged (w/o early withdrawal fees) now.

Might not be the best answer, but seems like a reasonable answer for the information I have available right now and no one here has been like "Nooooo, don't do that!"

Thanks for input!

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
You were concerned about having your money "locked up" for 30 years in a 401k. This is not completely accurate as you can pull it out with some planning in 5 years after you leave your job. Look here for reference: https://www.madfientist.com/how-to-access-retirement-funds-early/

So unless you think you're going to stay at your job for a long time (in which case you probably won't need to pull out funds anyways) or your job just has poo poo 401k offerings, it's probably better to max out the 401k before taxable.

edit: If you don't have any clear goals, I'd encourage you to see how much money you can comfortably save right now while you are still young with low expenses. The earlier you start saving, the more compounding and growth helps, and this is a nonlinear effect with most of the benefits happening in the last few years (see https://www.kiplinger.com/article/saving/t047-c032-s014-3-great-reasons-why-you-should-start-saving-early.html). That way, once life starts happening (you need to spend money because you're starting a family for instance), you would already have a decent amount of your retirement savings done so that you can afford to let your foot off the gas a bit.

drainpipe fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Oct 5, 2020

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
So my company awards out rsu's and stock options out every June, and I've got several of them currently. I always sell the rsu's immediately unless I believe the price is going to increase soon based on how things are going. Currently I have no rsu's to sell. Stock options are tougher though. I have several set from high thirties to low forties, and the stock price is currently in the high fifties, and has been on a slow upswing for the past month or so. If I sold them I'd make about $10k before tax.

I don't need this money, more than likely half would go into a house fund (at least five years away) and half would go into retirement. I have no reason to think my companies stock will tank soon, but we've vacillated between 30 and 50 for about two years.

What criteria do you all use when evaluating when to sell stock options like this?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

It depends on how diversified your overall investments are. If you are otherwise well-diversified then there's no real issue with holding on to the stock options there. However if a significant portion of your investments are tied up in one company's stock options then you will likely want to pull out what won't be short-term capital gains to invest in a wider variety of things.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
All of my retirement, Roth and 401k are in either market index funds or 10% bonds. This is essentially extra money. Just hard for me to figure out what % over the base price becomes worth it to sell for a stock that I don't see jumping significantly but may or may not have small gradual increases / decreases.

And do you know if short term capital gains taxes time starts counting from when I was awarded the grant or when they vested? Most of these are less than two years from when they vested.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Spikes32 posted:

And do you know if short term capital gains taxes time starts counting from when I was awarded the grant or when they vested? Most of these are less than two years from when they vested.

RSUs are taxed on vest and your LTCG timer starts then (for any gains past their price on vest - you paid the taxes then so that's your new cost basis). Options do not incur taxes or start the LTCG timer until they are actually exercised, which can only happen after they vest.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Thanks appreciate it mototronic. I guess I'll think on it some more and make a decision tomorrow then.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I can't wait until payday to see if the HM Bradley deposits work... $100 DDed for savings just because, and leaving every penny untouched gets 3% on the few thou I transferred in so far. C'mon, 3% ;_;

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

MJP posted:

I can't wait until payday to see if the HM Bradley deposits work... $100 DDed for savings just because, and leaving every penny untouched gets 3% on the few thou I transferred in so far. C'mon, 3% ;_;

Definitely keep us posted. I'd be down for a better place for my emergency fund.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Spikes32 posted:

So my company awards out rsu's and stock options out every June, and I've got several of them currently. I always sell the rsu's immediately unless I believe the price is going to increase soon based on how things are going. Currently I have no rsu's to sell. Stock options are tougher though. I have several set from high thirties to low forties, and the stock price is currently in the high fifties, and has been on a slow upswing for the past month or so. If I sold them I'd make about $10k before tax.

I don't need this money, more than likely half would go into a house fund (at least five years away) and half would go into retirement. I have no reason to think my companies stock will tank soon, but we've vacillated between 30 and 50 for about two years.

What criteria do you all use when evaluating when to sell stock options like this?

The tax impact on sale is the first and portfolio concentration is the second. You're thinking of all the right things. Just understand the tax impact of selling right now versus in the future where you should probably sell and buy low fee index funds anyway, unless its a small speculative position in your investment portfolio.

This was already answered, so just adding in my 2 cents.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

MJP posted:

Come on October 15th!..... I am also waiting. I did transfer some funds over from Ally to make sure that all worked. but now it is getting 0% interest (only for 9 days though).

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
They only evaluate the tier/% every 3 months. I think it defaults to 1% so we'll be stuck with that until Jan 1.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

MJP posted:

Don't forget that HMB allocates interest on a quarterly basis, and the first quarter you get 1%. So DD working is necessary for getting that sweet 3% but your interest bearing chickens won't hatch until at least January

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

spf3million posted:

They only evaluate the tier/% every 3 months. I think it defaults to 1% so we'll be stuck with that until Jan 1.

Yes this is true but 1% better than .6% at ally once it kicks in.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

When trying to figure out your fund allocations, it would make sense to break down what is in mutual fund right? For example, VFIFX has...

Vanguard Target Retirement 2050 Fund posted:

Vanguard Total Stock Market Index Fund Investor Shares
Vanguard Total International Stock Index Fund Investor Shares
Vanguard Total Bond Market II Index Fund Investor Shares
Vanguard Total International Bond Index Fund Investor Shares

If I'm looking at another fund, should I break it down and see what my total percentage is at for my whole fund? I'm trying to allocate some more money into VTSAX, VTIAX and VBTLX. I'm aiming for basically a three-fund portfolio.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

spwrozek posted:

Yes this is true but 1% better than .6% at ally once it kicks in.

I can confirm that my 1% APY has activated. And it says I'm on track for 3% on January 1st.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Is there a reason HMB is doing this? Are they doing something insanely risky with their lending? Counting on people not reading the fine print on these accounts? Or are they just teasing these rates only to drop them in a few months when they’ve received enough deposits?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

No idea. I would presume that they've built the savings rate to be such it's strongly discourages people from actually ever pulling money out so it lets them get more money available for their own investments. And then presumably most people won't actually save enough to actually get any interest if they are using it as their primary banking account which gives them free money to invest.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
If it gets away from them can they just drop rates? Like above, I bet most people don't get the benefits anyway and if too many do; just kill the program.

Prob a good % would stay anyway with inertia. Especially if they laddered down slowly.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Retail banks generally make their money on fees (and credit cards) so it's likely they're hoping to upsell you on services that cost something.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

^They seem to push the one click offers a decent amount.

Residency Evil posted:

Is there a reason HMB is doing this? Are they doing something insanely risky with their lending? Counting on people not reading the fine print on these accounts? Or are they just teasing these rates only to drop them in a few months when they’ve received enough deposits?

This is my expectation. We get good rates for a decent timeframe? then maybe on par with Ally and others? Honestly it doesn't really make much sense but FDIC insured and seems like no risk at this point. Worst case the rates come down and I move the money again.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 6, 2020

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

hmbradley posted:

This is a notification that we are amending our Privacy Notice to allow HMBradley to share your personal financial information to jointly market products and services with other financial institutions.

This change will become effective on November 20, 2020 and is consistent with our commitment to offer you competitive financial products and services. You will not be able to opt out of this sharing. Your continued use of your HMBradley Account after November 20, 2020 will reflect your agreement to this change.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Eh, I'll happily get an occasional email to my Gmail that will get gobbled up by my spam filter anyway in exchange for 3% interest.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
If I exchange one fund for another in Vanguard, do the sells and buys occur simultaneously? I'm looking to exchange some 2050 target date funds to just VTSAX/VTIAX, but I'm always paranoid about temporarily being out of the market during any transactions and having a massive surge at that time.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

drainpipe posted:

If I exchange one fund for another in Vanguard, do the sells and buys occur simultaneously? I'm looking to exchange some 2050 target date funds to just VTSAX/VTIAX, but I'm always paranoid about temporarily being out of the market during any transactions and having a massive surge at that time.

mutual fund transactions occur after market close at fixed net asset values (NAV). The NAV will be constant and the transactions will occur effectively simultaneously.

that is very different than ETFs, which is one reason mutual funds are easier to deal with as an average joe who does not want to worry about intraday volatility.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Other than having to buy in full share amounts is there any reason to select VTIAX over VXUS? slightly lower ER with VXUS so seems fine. This would be for a taxable account.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

spwrozek posted:

Other than having to buy in full share amounts is there any reason to select VTIAX over VXUS? slightly lower ER with VXUS so seems fine. This would be for a taxable account.

I mean, basically same response as my post above. VXUS being an ETF is more effort to trade and any given minute during the day won't be exactly at its theoretical instantaneous NAV (if you could even calculate it). I recommend either going all-ETF or all-mutual-funds in any specific account. It just makes rebalancing between holdings more convenient. I prefer ETFs because there are tons of thematic or sector ETFs that I find quite interesting.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
I went from having mutual funds with a Vanguard brokerage to the ETF equivalents held in Merrill Edge, and the only difference is I end up with a bit of money floating in my sweep account because of only being able to buy full shares.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Kylaer posted:

I went from having mutual funds with a Vanguard brokerage to the ETF equivalents held in Merrill Edge, and the only difference is I end up with a bit of money floating in my sweep account because of only being able to buy full shares.

any particular reason you changed brokers? Vanguard lets you trade basically any ETF without fees, too.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Big cashback bonuses on a Bank of America credit card if you've got sufficient assets in BoA/Merrill (>100K). There aren't any fees for the Edge account and you can buy all the Vanguard ETFs so it's all upside as far as I can determine.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
::hacker voice:: I'm in

So if I have to spend the savings account $, as long as I continue DDing $100/mo I'm OK for the quarter?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Yep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Kylaer posted:

This is basically what I thought so thanks for the answer.