Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The first episode of Ikebukuro West Gate Park is the most cop anime I've ever seen, down to the villain being defeated by having drugs planted on him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

pompo is still delayed but you can look at pretty new things for it

https://twitter.com/AIR_News01/status/1314342230564323328?s=20

https://twitter.com/pomposan/status/1314341796634263553

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I'm enjoying the first episode of Adachi to Shimamura.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/FloPerfecto/status/1314339910803959814

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
deciding the new higurashi anime is good entirely because of this

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Adachi and Shimamura 1 was very good

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Akudama Drive seems like it'll be pretty fun.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Akudama Drive's first episode ruled, my favorite premiere of the season by a mile. Stylish over-the-top violence, great direction and music, and a fun cast of characters.

Ikebukuro West Park, on the other, was a disappointingly drab affair, with a bog standard "gang members with hearts of gold" setup and uninspired direction.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Yeah wow Akudama drive's first episode was very impressive

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?
Certainly not wrong about Akudama Drive, that was next level stylish. What a fabulous premiere.

Jujutsu Kaisen was also a pretty cool first ep too, keen to see how it builds since it's very pretty too.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Speaking of Akudama Drive
https://twitter.com/Anime/status/1314430421535522821
That's Ippanjin's VA.

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Oct 9, 2020

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Accidental double post

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

cave emperor posted:

Ikebukuro West Park, on the other, was a disappointingly drab affair, with a bog standard "gang members with hearts of gold" setup and uninspired direction.

my mind is still boggling that the episode's villain is literally defeated by the protagonists planting drugs on him and calling the cops

what a bunch of loving heroes

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

This is a pretty good summation of the the entire R07 thing. Impressed.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

I'm on the 'supposed to be St Lucia' train despite other...stuff. But I don't know why they would make it look so similar (but not quiiiite identical) on purpose, and I don't know how they could do it accidentally.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
because they're both buildings with old western-style architecture

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
They are absolutely using the exact same reference for its design, the design similarities are not so generic that you'd accidentally draw basically the same building without a reference or whatever. They could certainly have accidentally found the same reference image that R7 used in Umineko for it and nobody double checked it or asked him or whatever, or some similar thing. Or R7 just wants to have fun misleading people. But like 'western-style architecture' is pretty broad and you just have to look to the 2006 adaptation to see how vastly different that can easily look.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Ange does also attend St Lucia's about 14 years later

e: which Umineko building are we comparing it to?

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Ange does also attend St Lucia's about 14 years later

e: which Umineko building are we comparing it to?

The chapel IIRC

There are definitely several differences like the chapel tower has this protruding gutter thing. But the broad design is absolutely the same imo.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

technically speaking, every school in anime is a western one unless you got a rare anime that combines education with a pre-meiji setting

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Thinking hard, about a R7 story, is good imo

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Right I was thinking of the front shot of the chapel which is very obviously a different building. The side one is pretty similar although it could just be based on the same real life reference (Kyu-Iwasaki-tei Garden).

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
higurashi gou is secretly higanbana 2

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Having gone away and looked up the chapel backgrounds my conclusion is this: none of the images of the chapel are consistent with each other

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Right I was thinking of the front shot of the chapel which is very obviously a different building. The side one is pretty similar although it could just be based on the same real life reference (Kyu-Iwasaki-tei Garden).

That's what I think is the most likely scenario, but it's a little unfortunate that they didn't catch it and use a different reference if they accidentally did so. Especially given that A: R7 stories are all about thinking about and studying the material presented, and B: the episode and OP obviously had a lot of fun intentionally referencing stuff for experienced watchers as well. Very much encouraging the kind of overthinking that would encourage going through poo poo with a fine-toothed comb and finding connections.

At the end of the day though it's not like it's a huge deal that makes everyone disappointed when it is just St Lucia (or a similarly unrelated building) or anything like that.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

The second episode of Wandering Witch would have made a much better first I think.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/colonvee/status/1314598578279649284

Nitrousoxide posted:

The second episode of Wandering Witch would have made a much better first I think.

It was actually the first story in the novels, lol. Though I can see what they were going for putting the origin story first.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Davincie posted:

technically speaking, every school in anime is a western one unless you got a rare anime that combines education with a pre-meiji setting
theres a few rural set anime where the districts so broke that the kids just kinda go to a shed and get talked at by an adult. ironically higurashi is one of those

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Non Non Biyori Season 3, coming soon!

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Endorph posted:

theres a few rural set anime where the districts so broke that the kids just kinda go to a shed and get talked at by an adult. ironically higurashi is one of those

Isn’t that the same as the one room schools in rural America

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Strange Quark posted:

One room schools didn't happen because there were no kids around anymore. If anything it's the reverse of one room schools.

Plastic_Gargoyle fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 9, 2020

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Tonikawa aka "Christ just sleep with your wife."

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
holy poo poo Jujutsu's ending is slick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWEm4tA2hMc

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Strange Quark posted:

i once went to a one room school for a field trip. it loving sucked

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Assault Lily Bouquet is a very stupid show and I like it

Wandering Witch remains my easy favorite of the season after 2 weeks, though Adachi And Shimamura might have a better shot at unseating it than I thought before it came out.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Oh boy, oh boy, Mushoku Tensei anime seems confirmed for January release:

https://twitter.com/mushokutensei_A/status/1314778829609529346

This is pretty much Narou's ultimate weapon, although I can't help but feel it's 5 years too late.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
The premise sounds pretty generic. Is it any good?

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Yeah

From what I remember it was pretty simple power fantasy “I have a status screen and know how to grind up everything so I’m the best”. I think the most interesting thing about it is it features an affair

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
From everything I've read about it, Mushoku Tensei is basically "it" for the Isekai/Reincarnation web/light novel trend getting as big as it did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Oh, so I have it to blame.