Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

PT6A posted:

Yes, I did that with my Mustang (not totaled but damaged) and it was dreadful in a completely different way. Yes these things are only objects, widgets created by man, but ultimately is it not a stranger person who holds no feeling toward anything, rather than a person who feels ways about a car, or a favourite shirt, or a treasured musical instrument, or a nice painting, or a houseplant? Our relationships with humans and pets are different, of course, but my life would seem empty if I didn't feel ways about things in general. Not in a consumeristic sense like "a more expensive, faster car will make me feel better," just that I am quite attached to certain things for sentimental reasons. I don't want a new Golf R, I don't want an RS3, I don't want a loving Ferrari to replace my car (though I'd have one in addition to it, happily, if someone were to hand them out), I want my car, it's precious to me as more than the sum of its parts.

I've seen a old Cuban man smoke a cigarette and tell me, of a basically pristine new Kia, "well, it's no Lada 2102. That's a car. I learned to drive in that car, it's on its third engine, and it's better than this Korean heap." I understand that man.

I hear you PT6A. It's not rational or even perhaps healthy to get attached to a car but here we are. I hope your R gets fixed and returned to you.

Speaking of which I finally caved and delivered my Mini to my mechanic to hopefully solve the coolant leak once and for all (lol, just kidding it's a BMW product). The car isn't really that fast or comfortable or even safe but when it's working I get the dumbest grin on my face because it loves to be driven hard.

Hot hatch peeps: Please keep your fingers crossed for the health of PT6A's Golf Arrrrrrr and my little croissant getter. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Arishtat posted:

I hear you PT6A. It's not rational or even perhaps healthy to get attached to a car but here we are. I hope your R gets fixed and returned to you.

Speaking of which I finally caved and delivered my Mini to my mechanic to hopefully solve the coolant leak once and for all (lol, just kidding it's a BMW product). The car isn't really that fast or comfortable or even safe but when it's working I get the dumbest grin on my face because it loves to be driven hard.

Hot hatch peeps: Please keep your fingers crossed for the health of PT6A's Golf Arrrrrrr and my little croissant getter. :v:

Thanks. Definitely feeling this ad right now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqAfcTJen3o

albear
Jun 7, 2001

the doctor will see you now..
Loaned out my R for some R&D and to be used in marketing material and got a free catback out of it from Nameless Performance and some cool pics and video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdYeu5H3B00

Quick info: I'm on stock downpipe and UM ECU tuned (as well as TCU and Haldex).

albear fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 9, 2020

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

It appears Honda is offering a spare wheel for the Civic Type R now: https://estore.honda.com/honda/accessories/view-honda-accessory-detail.asp?m=2018-civic-type-r-6-speed-manual&ec=&oc=CIVIC18012&dl=208638

That doesn't include the tire, but does come with jack, tools, and a new trunk floor since the original one is too shallow for the spare.

Tire for this spare wheel is available from Tire Rack: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=CST%2017&partnum=27M8CST17

Given the poo poo roads in my area and my even worse luck with cars I'll probably get one of these sooner or later.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
If I had a type r I would get the smallest height wheel for it I could.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Wrar posted:

I did that too!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The R is scheduled for a repair with full replacement of the rear bumper and the hatch, OEM parts and labour all covered with 0 deductible, and I got the rental I wanted*.

If you're going to have an accident, I must highly advise you have one whilst stopped at a crosswalk, dead sober, on a sunny day coming home from work: there's no mucking about with who's at fault whatsoever!

* They've tried to arrange the Wrangler but apparently it's limited in quantity, but the good news is the car I'm entitled to as a rental through the second agency I dealt with (they didn't tell me it was an option, because it's more expensive and I could "hit my coverage limit quicker" -- they're so thoughtful to look out for me like this!) is a Golf or Jetta, so even the second choice isn't horrible.

MarsellusWallace
Nov 9, 2010

Well he doesn't WANT
to look like a bitch!

Wrar posted:

Did that immediately. Apparently everyone else does because a stock set of wheels with brand new tires are worth about a grand in resale, so about 50 bucks for each rim alone.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

The Mini lives!

My friendly mechanic traced the problem to the water pump itself, replaced it and gave the car an actual pressure test which is something I wasn't able to do in my own garage.

He also pointed out that my shocks are pretty much done and that I should replace them ASAP so I'm shopping around for the best deal to be found on a set of Koni Special Actives for the R56.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

It's not the hottest hatch, but I valued the hatch more than I valued the Si bits, so I got a 2020 Civic Sport Hatchback with the 6 speed:

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

This is happening:

The car's on the stock suspension from Nov 2008 when it rolled out of the factory in Oxford, England. Some components have already been replaced, but at 120K miles it's past due. In addition to the above I have a complete set of shock tower mounts waiting in a box in the garage because I picked it up from ECS on special.

HOWEVER in deference to the spouse's wishes before any of the above gets purchased I owe her (us) a bathroom rehab so there's that.

For actual content though last weekend I hooked up a ScanGauge so that I can monitor some sensors that BMW saw fit to not display directly and instead use idiot lights to let you know when your Mini is about to boil over.

All routed, mounted, and zip tied up

Tried to match the gauge color, but the ScanGauge's color choices are very limited (0/33/66/100% of red, green, and blue respectively)

Went a different way and set it to bright blue and then changed the cabin 'mood lighting' (yes the car has that feature, it has RGB accent lighting in the overhead console and B pillars) to match it, we'll see how that goes for a while

It's a little tough to read the gauge in the last image, but in person it's very crisp and clear. We'll see if that holds on a sunny day. I've set it to show intake air temperature, water temperature, and engine oil temperature in Centigrade and then manifold absolute pressure for the 4th gauge. The MAP gauge is driving me a little nuts because it's not as well documented as I would hope. I think it's showing PSI less normal atmospheric pressure. Does anyone else have one of these and can chime in? Originally I had it set to show estimated boost pressure but that gave wildly negative numbers even when the car was clearly on boost (or at least so I thought, it's hard to do data analysis and keep the thing on the road at the same time so not dying or hitting things took precedence, natch).

Arishtat fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Oct 21, 2020

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Blue instrument lighting is the devil!

*holds crucifix up in your face*

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

gently caress poly bushings. I’d strongly recommend fresh OEM rubber if you can. Even better if there is stiffer options from a more intense version of the car. Going back to rubber after a few years of power flex bushings in my e46 was like getting a new car. The squeaking is utterly loving obnoxious and anyone that says it isn’t an issue is probably lying to you.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah, poly bushings are for race cars imo. I've driven/ridden in Miatas with poly bushings and the squeaking is annoying as hell.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Yeah, poly bushings are for race cars imo. I've driven/ridden in Miatas with poly bushings and the squeaking is annoying as hell.

Delrin, aluminum, or bearings are for race cars :)

IMHO poly is appropriate for very few applications, it’s primary benefit is cost and ease of production.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!

Enos Cabell posted:

Seems like the only car I see R owners swap to is an RS3.

The lease on my R expires this month (I’m paying the balloon payment, the car is worth more than the outstanding loan :) and then I’m waiting for either the Mk8 R or, I’ve recently started eying up, the RS3...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm trying to convince myself that I'll be perfectly happy with a FiST but I keep going "but what about a FoRS?"

The Fiesta checks all the boxes and I friggin love them but the allure of power is really tempting.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Rhyno posted:

I'm trying to convince myself that I'll be perfectly happy with a FiST but I keep going "but what about a FoRS?"

The Fiesta checks all the boxes and I friggin love them but the allure of power is really tempting.

Two very different cars... Look up a guy called MarkCup70 on YouTube and find the video where he drives his mate’s FiST after a year or so of FoRS ownership (which came after some years of FiST ownership). I think his mate also drives the FoRS and gives thoughts about the differences.

Most comments I have seen from people in the FiST Facebook groups who have upgraded from the FiST miss it because there is pretty much nothing else like it in terms of its go-karty nature. Sure, the interior is basic and there are much faster cars, but people seem to struggle to find something as fun.

Here4DaGangBang fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Oct 22, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I've driven both and love both. We're getting close to poo poo or get off the pot here so ill need to make a decision soon. As much as I live the Kia Stinger I can't make that work so I'm back to hot hatches.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Apologies if you've answered this... But if you're looking at an RS why not a FoST? I cross shopped and imo the FiST was just too small for me - both the driver's seat/foot well and the cargo area.

I have zero regrets, today I had to drive my 3500 to pick up material for a job and it's boring AF. FoST is a lot easier to find with Recaros also. The HIDs are also very good, and nobody mentions the cornering lamps which are awesome.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Rhyno posted:

I've driven both and love both. We're getting close to poo poo or get off the pot here so ill need to make a decision soon. As much as I live the Kia Stinger I can't make that work so I'm back to hot hatches.

You know my answer already but every single car guy that I’ve let drive my RS have all basically said the same thing; namely that it’s a special car and you usually have to spend a whole lot more money to get the kind of handling and driving dynamics that the RS has. Sure it’s a Ford Focus at heart and the interior is bland and it has a stiff ride but the amount of confidence it inspires, especially when you really start flogging it, there really isn’t anything like it until you start getting into fully loaded Caymans and M3s, both of which are twice the price. I have a friend with a 2015 M5 and after he drove the RS he said other than the power and the interior, the RS was a better car. You can feel the car rotate when you throw it into the corners, the AWD system is magical, and a simple ECU tune can turn it into a rocket. It’s also a very limited edition that was really only produced for 2.5 years, so if rarity is your thing that definitely helps. I can tell you right now that I will never ever sell this car. It’s that special. Every time I drive it it puts a smile on my face. I truly believe that in 10 years time these cars are going to be looked at like the DC2 Type R or the E46 M3, a special car that was way ahead of its time and a modern classic. Look at MK3 Supras and how crazy they’ve gotten in price lately, I think that in 20 years time that’s how the RS will be.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yours was the first one I drove and it left an impression. Pricing is still a tad higher than im really comfortable spending but im gonna have to get over my hangups on that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Rhyno posted:

Yours was the first one I drove and it left an impression. Pricing is still a tad higher than im really comfortable spending but im gonna have to get over my hangups on that.

well if you are going to still be hung up on the price it will seriously detract from your enjoyment of the car so consider that pretty carefully too

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Its my personal issue with spending a large sum of money. Even though we can afford nice things now I often feel like I don't deserve them.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

When I was car shopping I REALLY liked the RS but I just couldn't bring myself to spend that much money on a car that only gets driven around town with really no fun roads around anywhere. The FiST was fun to drive but too drat small for me, I felt cramped sitting in it. The FoST was ok, with the interior completely turning me off of it.

If I lived in an area with fun roads like Cali or something I would have been tempted to break the bank for a blue RS.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I extremely regret settling for my mazda3 over the new FoST I was looking at or a FoRS almost 3 years ago. I got the safe sensible more budget friendly option and I regret it everyday!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Rhyno posted:

Its my personal issue with spending a large sum of money. Even though we can afford nice things now I often feel like I don't deserve them.

i mean i am the same way which is why i caution you. the $ spent on my M5 do at some point occasionally detract from my enjoyment of it

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It comes with getting old i guess. In my 20's I would have gladly emptied my bank account for a car i wanted, these days I'd rather have money in the bank, or if I was going to spend it I would put a pool in my back yard or update the kitchen or something.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Rhyno posted:

As somebody who is dealing with depression and self-worth issues myself, I don’t think I have to complete this sentence to let you know we understand and furthermore

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

wallaka posted:

As somebody who is dealing with depression and self-worth issues myself, I don’t think I have to complete this sentence to let you know we understand and furthermore

The counselor I talked to initially put me on the notion that I have a form of imposters syndrome. I went from a freeloading bum making fuckall to this wonderful job, great pay, married and now this shiny new house and I don't know how to wrap my head around it. I feel like a total fraud. But I'm working on it.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

TheBacon posted:

I extremely regret settling for my mazda3 over the new FoST I was looking at or a FoRS almost 3 years ago. I got the safe sensible more budget friendly option and I regret it everyday!

Gf has a Mazda 3 and I have a Focus ST, and yeah you make a very noticeable transition from "Sporty, quick car" to "every day commuter" when I drive hers, even with the manual.

Sipher
Jan 14, 2008
Cryptic
I bought a new FoST in '17 and traded it (plus cash) for a '16 RS this year. It is really that good.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Y'all're really making me wont to car shop. Almost paid off my 2016 GTI and just added a short shifter and the less restrictive clutch bleeder block in preparation for maybe adding some power. The warranty is about up as well.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
A 16 foot extension ladder fits easily inside a Vibe GT with the hatch completely closed.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Rhyno posted:

As someone with both a Stinger and a FoRS, I will tell you that if you NEED to drive the car regularly, don't get a FoRS. If you're only ever going to drive the car because you want to, get a FoRS.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Finally got around to pulling the intake on my completely stock 2013 FoST with ~125k miles.

There was a varying amount of buildup on the valves. This one was the worst, maybe half of them were similar, with the other half not quite as bad. (PS my cheap borescope camera worked ok, but the still pictures from it weren't as good as my phone camera with some extra lighting.)

Kinda scared me at first, but after looking at pictures of other DI intake valves, it's not that bad. The ports are clear as you can see. The oil was definitely coming from the lower PCV/oil separator. I installed the Radium baffle plate and aftermarket PCV which is supposed to hold up better than OEM, but was unhappy about the fitment of the OEM hose to the Radium PCV, which is smaller diameter than stock. The hose is a hard plastic and did not seem to tighten down at all with the provided clamp. Here I tried to use a fuel rated line instead they also provided for the ecoboost Mustang (same kit), but it was just too close radius for a flexible line.

So, I decided to increase the diameter of the PCV barb with red electrical tape, and use the OEM hard line. With my sound symposer deleted (also part of this job), it's visible without removing anything so the red tape will serve as a visual indicator of the hose trying to come off. It tightened up nicely though, I have a lot more confidence in this than in following their directions exactly. I also removed the throttle body and cleaned all the oil film from it and the intake.

I wanted to do something about the valves, but walnut blasting isn't available anywhere I can find here in BFE. I bought some of the CRC intake valve cleaner that some recommend, but I did have reservations about how much would actually get to the valves per their official method (basically like seafoam via a vacuum line).

So I decided to spray the valves directly with a small amount, let it sit (which ended up being a couple days as I had other things come up), then I vacc'ed the excess sitting on the closed valves and was left with this:

It seemed a lot less solid, but I didn't think it was a good idea to go poking. After everything was buttoned up, I did my own version of their directions: (let it idle to temp, then sit for an hour, then drove it on the road to full oil temp and gave it a good hard run). Seems like it idles more smoothly, and maybe doesn't hang revs as much on upshifts? Figured I'd drive it at least a couple weeks, and if I can find the motivation I'll pop the intake off and see what the valves look like.

All back together. The stock airbox was broken, RS was basically the same price so...

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

I doubt this will be widespread, and I feel slightly foolish to not have checked my brake wear at all in just under 60,000 miles, but here's the level of uneven front brake wear on my MT 2016 GTI. I sold my 2007 Rabbit with 125K and original front brakes, and the other three pads obviously have shitloads of meat left.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
hi, so i never thought i would ever consider replacing or getting rid of the fiesta, because i love it so. BUT life kinda intervened and im forced to relocate to rural winter place with lovely roads that dont get plowed and and am liable to get snowed in and such. the fiesta doesnt seem relatively practical, unless i fully rally setup that thing which i have no idea how much that could cost. would better options be trading it in for something all wheel drive like a focus RS or golf R or should i just give in to what everyone is saying and buy a 4wd truck like a proper country boy?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

How deep are we talking? AWD isn't going to help you much if the snow is over the bumper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

sneakyfrog posted:

hi, so i never thought i would ever consider replacing or getting rid of the fiesta, because i love it so. BUT life kinda intervened and im forced to relocate to rural winter place with lovely roads that dont get plowed and and am liable to get snowed in and such. the fiesta doesnt seem relatively practical, unless i fully rally setup that thing which i have no idea how much that could cost. would better options be trading it in for something all wheel drive like a focus RS or golf R or should i just give in to what everyone is saying and buy a 4wd truck like a proper country boy?

Put snow tires on it and see how you do for a winter?